The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
Popps
It's so easy

Default Article: Broncos WR breakdown...

Nothing groundbreaking, but a fairly interesting look at our WR/TE/RB situation, and what we'd be left with if Marshall wasn't in the fold. Of course, we're a much better team with him, but we wouldn't be screwed. Just an interesting look at our guys, player by player...

I thought that it was worthwhile to do a quick run-down of who Denver already has as receiving options. For purposes of organization, I broke them down into wide receiver, tight end and running back. How they are used may not be the same as how they are listed, but I wanted to keep it as simple as possible....

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/6...andon-marshall
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

1. Peyton Hillis

One of the most versatile players on the Broncos this year, Hillis is currently lining up at RB, FB, WR and TE and it's only June. Add to that his special teams work and you wonder if they won't tote him out on defense in some package just to see what would happen. Hillis has long been known for his soft hands and solid yards after catch numbers: He did it in college and over his rookie season and this year won't be different.

This sounds promising.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Popps
It's so easy

McKinley is another guy that will be fun to watch...

4. Kenny McKinley
This 5th round choice for the Broncos was the key to the South Carolina Gamecocks offense for the past three years. Unintimidated by pressure situations, the incredibly productive McKinley was described by Head Coach Steve Spurrier as the "...best wide receiver I've ever coached". His jersey was retired when he left school, one of only 5 players from USC to ever have been honored that way; he may yet bring a Brandon Stokley-like presence to the slot. His slight frame (5'10, 192 lb .) is perhaps his biggest concern, but there's simply no denying his level of skill. Some receivers are just a lot harder to cover than others. McKinley is like that. He runs good routes, has incredible hands and broke Sterling Sharpe's collegiate school records for receptions and receiving yards as well as catching a pass in each of his last 43 games. He did well in the Combine with a 4.44 40 yard dash, a 37 inch vertical leap, a broad jump of 113 inches and a 20 yard shuttle of 4.1 seconds, but his on-field production was the key to drafting him. He was ranked anywhere from the 2nd round to the middle 5th, so getting him in the 5th round was a good acquisition. He has great vision, solid instincts and is extremely elusive as a receiver. If he can stay healthy he'll fill in for Stokley whenever Brandon eventually falters. I hope that it's a long time. Look for him to struggle at first against press coverage
Old 06-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
80smith
Perennial Pro-bowler

A horse named Omaha.

Can we compare Hillis to LT? It seams Hillis can be just as dangerous as Lt.
80smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
daysofcoleco
Just Drafted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80smith View Post
No you may not.
daysofcoleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Shanny hardly left the cupboard bare on offense. Why spend 6 of 9 picks on offense?
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Shanny hardly left the cupboard bare on offense. Why spend 6 of 9 picks on offense?
3 of the first 4 picks were defensive players.

Almost our entire front 7 will be new players or players moving to new positions.

We drafted the best DE/OLB prospect in the draft.

The notion that we haven't done anything on the defensive side of the ball is lunacy and has already been amply refuted.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Kenny McKinley ... was described by Head Coach Steve Spurrier as the "...best wide receiver I've ever coached".
Wow .... I drafted him for the chefs in the OM Mock, and he did seem impressive.

But that's incredible, Spurrier's had alotta good wideouts.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80smith View Post
truthfully, Moreno is basically a slightly slower version of what LT used to be. running styles are very similar, and great hands out of the backfield

Hillis' closest comparison would be Chris Cooley, but Cooley isn't near as good as Hillis is
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #10
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
truthfully, Moreno is basically a slightly slower version of what LT used to be. running styles are very similar, and great hands out of the backfield

Hillis' closest comparison would be Chris Cooley, but Cooley isn't near as good as Hillis is
Moreno looks like a fluid, natural runner. Reminds me quite a bit of Terrell Davis in that he doesn't have great speed, but just seems to get by people, anyway.

Just watch the first 4-5 runs of this reel. Look at his vision as he works his way through the junk. The guy sees what's playing out in front of him, an half-second before it happens, and almost seems like at that point, he's already made a cut that anticipates it.

I'm telling you, folks... this guy is a special runner. I'll be here to eat the crow if he's not, but he just looks like a guy who's going to step right in and excel.

The possibility of this guy and Hillis splitting carries just blows my mind.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #11
BearMan18
Solid Starter

We have Orton now.

We have no further need for "Wide Receivers"

3 TE sets with a full backfield.

Punch them in the face.

Unconventional? Yes

"We all have responsibilities to utilize players' talents and abilities."
BearMan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #12
Popps
It's so easy

One for Watermock...

Old 06-22-2009, 12:38 AM   #13
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Hillis and Moreno in the same backfield are a huge matchup nightmare for opposing LBs in the passing game. I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos ran a number of plays involving back delay routes, option routes and underneath patterns to those two (as well as a healthy dose of screens), while running everyone else off to clear open some space.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:39 AM   #14
BearMan18
Solid Starter

Quote:
One for Watermock...

Got anything impressive?

A run against a 5-2 where the back gets one arm on his thigh doesn't make me feel as comfortable as Orton being able to dump out of the backfield to Forte.
BearMan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:51 AM   #15
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Hillis and Moreno in the same backfield are a huge matchup nightmare for opposing LBs in the passing game. I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos ran a number of plays involving back delay routes, option routes and underneath patterns to those two (as well as a healthy dose of screens), while running everyone else off to clear open some space.
Yea, think of a 2-back set with those guys back there. Either could run the ball effectively, Hillis could wind up a lead blocker, or like you said... you snake one or both out into the flat, circle routes, etc.

With our line, I honestly think we may end up with the inverse situation we had with Cutler, in that we may just be a strong enough running team that people have to respect us, and that's going to leave some receivers open, at some point.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 AM   #16
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Wow...

"Marshall may stay or he may go. In either case, don't look for the Broncos to look back."
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:05 AM   #17
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
McKinley is another guy that will be fun to watch...

4. Kenny McKinley
This 5th round choice for the Broncos was the key to the South Carolina Gamecocks offense for the past three years. Unintimidated by pressure situations, the incredibly productive McKinley was described by Head Coach Steve Spurrier as the "...best wide receiver I've ever coached". His jersey was retired when he left school, one of only 5 players from USC to ever have been honored that way; he may yet bring a Brandon Stokley-like presence to the slot. His slight frame (5'10, 192 lb .) is perhaps his biggest concern, but there's simply no denying his level of skill. Some receivers are just a lot harder to cover than others. McKinley is like that. He runs good routes, has incredible hands and broke Sterling Sharpe's collegiate school records for receptions and receiving yards as well as catching a pass in each of his last 43 games. He did well in the Combine with a 4.44 40 yard dash, a 37 inch vertical leap, a broad jump of 113 inches and a 20 yard shuttle of 4.1 seconds, but his on-field production was the key to drafting him. He was ranked anywhere from the 2nd round to the middle 5th, so getting him in the 5th round was a good acquisition. He has great vision, solid instincts and is extremely elusive as a receiver. If he can stay healthy he'll fill in for Stokley whenever Brandon eventually falters. I hope that it's a long time. Look for him to struggle at first against press coverage
I look forward to seeing him develop as well. Another guy who has a history of just getting it done at a high level and with a good work ethic and team commitment. Combine that with Scheff getting more passes if Marshall inst here, with Royal, Stokley and Gaffney in front and we'll be alright.

Plus, in this offense and with guys like Hillis and Moreno both in the backfield at the same times on occasion, McD will have no shortage of creative play making opportunities in any situation.

I hope Marshall gets his head out of his ass and gets in here for TC, with a healthy hip and ready to commit 100%, but if he isn't here I suspect a lot of that slack will be made up by more creative uses of Scheff, Hillis & Moreno.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:14 AM   #18
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Agree SoCal, there are so many weapons and possibilities even without Marshall. Though with him it becomes a real nightmare for defenses as well.

Depends on how truly recovered his hip is and his commitment level. He'd be a real idiot ( which he may be?) to come in and loaf it this year and shut himself in the foot literally, but I suspect one he gets back out there with the team he'll settle down and play hard.

In any event, we're going to field a solid offensive team, and I suspect a much improved defensive one as well, even if hte front 7 is still a work in progress.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #19
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denver...lay-in-denver/

Lloyd and Kyle Orton were teammates in Chicago last season, connecting for 26 receptions for 364 yards with two touchdowns.

The receiver said Orton was one of many reasons he decided to head to Denver.

“Probably just the excitement of having a fresh new look to the team,” he explained. “The excitement of having (Head) Coach (Josh) McDaniels here and an explosive offense, the new-look defense, just the whole thing. It was very refreshing. Of course Kyle factored into it, too — that was pretty much the icing on the cake.”

Lloyd, who has amassed 2,253 yards and 15 touchdowns throughout his career, went on to explain why he’s glad to have Orton on board.

I think what the receivers here are going to like is he throws a very catchable ball,” he said. “I think sometimes when receivers say quarterbacks throw catchable balls, people are like, ‘Aren’t all the balls catchable?’It’s just Kyle has the right amount of touch — he can throw a fastball, he can throw a touch ball, he throws an awesome deep ball — so the receivers here are really going to enjoy playing with him.”

-Gray Caldwell, DenverBroncos.com
Old 06-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #20
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
dumbdumbdumb as usual.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
1. Peyton Hillis

One of the most versatile players on the Broncos this year, Hillis is currently lining up at RB, FB, WR and TE and it's only June. Add to that his special teams work and you wonder if they won't tote him out on defense in some package just to see what would happen. Hillis has long been known for his soft hands and solid yards after catch numbers: He did it in college and over his rookie season and this year won't be different.

This sounds promising.
It would suck for linebackers to be forced out wide to guard a FB. It's just not what they like to do.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
1. Peyton Hillis

This sounds promising.
i tell you, Hillis could become the most valuable player on this offense.

split him out to the slot, and it is impossible to cover him with a Nickel Back, because Hillis will just rag doll him out of the way. same thing with a starting corner and most Safeties. Hillis is stronger and has better hands than basically every DB in the league and creates a mismatch. the only way to cover him would be with a LB, but by moving a LB over to cover him in the slot, creates a mismatch by taking a LB away from his comfort zone, plus Hillis has better hands and is just as strong and in many cases stronger than a LB. out of the backfield on screens is just as tough, because as we all saw when he was starting, when he gets his legs churning, he is almost impossible to bring down with just 1 tackler. also, when split into the slot, he would command an extra DB covering him, which would leave someone else riding single or no coverage at all.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #23
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Yes definitely ... and they both pick up the blitz really well, so that's even more uncertainty for the defense. It's hard to know where and how to attack based on where these two might line up ... neither has an exploitable fundamental weakness. Both can run, block and catch.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #24
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
One for Watermock...

really nice but one problem he should of pulled away in College.....
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #25
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
really nice but one problem he should of pulled away in College.....
Mix in some capital letters and punctuation so we can understand your sentences, please.

Whoops, I take it back. You did capitalize "College."