The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default Things I'm excited about for this year

One of the major things that pissed me off about last year was the play calling. Shanny/Bates, or whoever was calling the plays really really annoyed me. I mean there would be a few games where I was like, wow, those are some freakin' amazing calls (Raiders and involvement of Royal is the one that comes off the top of my head).

Then there were so many games where I was like WTF are they doing, throwing the same damn WR screen like 15 times in a row, horrible calls in the read zone and specific situations that completely left my head scratching.

One thing about McDaniels is I know he will come in hungry. He has tremendous pressure to succeed mounted on his shoulders and while he will likely make mistakes, I think he is going to bring some things to this team that we have lacked for a long time... namely - creativity combined with consistency. There were too many times over the past few years where we would come up with some plan and simply not adjust. Playing the Colts with all Dlineman, playing the Dolphins with 10-15 yard cushions and letting Camarillo catch the 8 yard outs every effin play (I think that was the receiver who torched us last year that had me screaming).

Anyway, I firmly believe McD is someone who is willing to make proper modifications on the fly which we'll see a difference in this year.

I'm happy we haven't traded away Sheff or Hillis and I'm very excited to see Royal, BM (assuming he stays), Sheff, Moreno (assuming he turns out) and Hillis on the field at the same time. I think we are going to see a very creative and very consistent offense this year.

On D, the biggest expectation I have is proper game planning and necessary adjustments. I don't see our personnel being significantly better, but with proper coaching, leadership from guys like Dawkins, maybe we can make a decent turn around. Hopefully A.Smith turns out to be the corner opposite Champ and our front 7 is capable enough to prevent our secondary from making every tackle 10 yards downfield. I love summer, but this off season is taking too damn long!
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I'm excited to see how Ayers plays, I'll be keeping an eye on him through pre season.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I'm VERY excited for Ayers, Alphonso, Knowshon and Hillis ....
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Play calling has been crap since Kubiak left (ironically, when he was here many people swore up and down that he didn't call the plays, but that Shanny really did).

If Shanahan hadn't been fired, I was hoping he would get more hands on with the offense again, because when the Broncos offense was at it's best (the first 10 years or so of Shanny's tenure), it was about constant misdirection and confusion. New formations every week, keeping the defense off balance and 'flowing' the wrong way.

Now, while McD is going to bring a completely different offensive scheme to the table, supposedly it is also about introducing new things every week so that the defense really doesn't know what to practice for. Not knowing what formations or what plays will popup out of nowhere.

What we will have to see, is how much of that McD can successfully implement here, since he will be flying solo without Belicheck running the show.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

... and the new Elvis Dumervil.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
Seamus
Rust Contributor

Always something changing

Well there won't be the deep pass plays to watch for....I guess we can see how many plays it takes for the O to establish the run. There may be some consistency with this, I don't see McD keeping the lottery style RB that Shanny did.
Somewhere I also saw that McD is better a coaching screens, Denver hasn't had a decent screen play in years! Chinese fire drill comes to mind. The short game essential in golf, good for long time consuming drives in football would be nice to keep our D off the field and out of the other teams O hands.

I would like to see a better D and better scheme instead of giving everything away in the third and forth quarter.
Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Nolan's defense.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Nolan's defense and Denver's red zone scoring.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

People have to realize some of the screens were just running plays in disguise. They weren't meant to get more then 3-5 quick yrds in lieu of a run.

I thought play calling was pretty slick they had a lot of wr running wide open even with throwing the ball alot. I also think WR let Cutler down quite a few times, then at end of yr I thought Cutler got innacurate and missed some open guys.

I do think this yrs play calling will be more to control ball which is smart.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
People have to realize some of the screens were just running plays in disguise. They weren't meant to get more then 3-5 quick yrds in lieu of a run.

I thought play calling was pretty slick they had a lot of wr running wide open even with throwing the ball alot. I also think WR let Cutler down quite a few times, then at end of yr I thought Cutler got innacurate and missed some open guys.

I do think this yrs play calling will be more to control ball which is smart.
Whether play calling or Cutler's bad decision making, the first three games were marked with lots of short passes, a focus on moving the chains, which resulted in a massive offensive outburst. Game four or so, it seemed like Cutler kept trying to force the deep ball, with poor results going with those decisions.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

DJ Williams in the 3-4
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
Punisher
®WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Money to Burn WOOOO®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I'm VERY excited for Ayers, Alphonso, Knowshon and Hillis ....
Also I want to see Woodyard get some starting time and Larsen in rotation with Andre Davis
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Improved safety and middle linebacker play! And just seeing Hillis run again.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

PR that is a VERY creative avatar ...
Old 06-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Indeed!
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post
One of the major things that pissed me off about last year was the play calling. Shanny/Bates, or whoever was calling the plays really really annoyed me. I mean there would be a few games where I was like, wow, those are some freakin' amazing calls (Raiders and involvement of Royal is the one that comes off the top of my head).

Then there were so many games where I was like WTF are they doing, throwing the same damn WR screen like 15 times in a row, horrible calls in the read zone and specific situations that completely left my head scratching.

One thing about McDaniels is I know he will come in hungry. He has tremendous pressure to succeed mounted on his shoulders and while he will likely make mistakes, I think he is going to bring some things to this team that we have lacked for a long time... namely - creativity combined with consistency. There were too many times over the past few years where we would come up with some plan and simply not adjust. Playing the Colts with all Dlineman, playing the Dolphins with 10-15 yard cushions and letting Camarillo catch the 8 yard outs every effin play (I think that was the receiver who torched us last year that had me screaming).

Anyway, I firmly believe McD is someone who is willing to make proper modifications on the fly which we'll see a difference in this year.

I'm happy we haven't traded away Sheff or Hillis and I'm very excited to see Royal, BM (assuming he stays), Sheff, Moreno (assuming he turns out) and Hillis on the field at the same time. I think we are going to see a very creative and very consistent offense this year.

On D, the biggest expectation I have is proper game planning and necessary adjustments. I don't see our personnel being significantly better, but with proper coaching, leadership from guys like Dawkins, maybe we can make a decent turn around. Hopefully A.Smith turns out to be the corner opposite Champ and our front 7 is capable enough to prevent our secondary from making every tackle 10 yards downfield. I love summer, but this off season is taking too damn long!
I agree and this circus of an offseason can't get over fast enough
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Count me in the Ayers/Doom crowd. I think those two wind up the key to our success this season.

Also...

-Have a real DC

-A focus on special teams

-Our defenders actually being coached to strip balls, bat balls down and attempt to create turnovers.

-Dawkins and his likely influence to toughen up the Denver defense again... which hopefully leads to opponents not looking forward to coming to Denver. (Like it used to be.)
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #18
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Seeing Orton prove he is as good or better than Cutler, as so many fans claim now that the trade has been made.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #19
Punisher
®WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Money to Burn WOOOO®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

I hope Rulon Davis and Chris Baker make the team to I think Davis can be a Really Good ST and I'm Hoping Baker becomes an ok NT too.
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #20
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Moreno is up there on my list, too.

Just player-specific, the guys I'm most excited to see in pre-season are...

1. Ayers
2. Dumervil at new position.
3. Moreno
4. Dawkins
5. Orton
6. Hillis (How does he fit, exactly?)

But, I'm also fairly stoked to see a lot of the role-players. Guys like Gaffney and Jordan don't look that exciting on paper, but remember what a fan favorite Pittman became? I think some of these new role-players have a chance of becoming surprise hits with the fans.

I'm out of my brain excited every season, but for some reason... this season just feels even more exciting, to me. I'm chomping at the bit for any bit of camp news, and we still have a LONG way to go.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #21
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Play calling has been crap since Kubiak left (ironically, when he was here many people swore up and down that he didn't call the plays, but that Shanny really did).

If Shanahan hadn't been fired, I was hoping he would get more hands on with the offense again, because when the Broncos offense was at it's best (the first 10 years or so of Shanny's tenure), it was about constant misdirection and confusion. New formations every week, keeping the defense off balance and 'flowing' the wrong way.

Now, while McD is going to bring a completely different offensive scheme to the table, supposedly it is also about introducing new things every week so that the defense really doesn't know what to practice for. Not knowing what formations or what plays will popup out of nowhere.

What we will have to see, is how much of that McD can successfully implement here, since he will be flying solo without Belicheck running the show.
Interestingly, especially in the 2008 season it was very obvious that the plays Shanahan scripted (approx the first 20) were almost always a lot better than the rest of the game.

In almost all games we moved the ball at will on the first drives and then we slowed down when we went from the plays Shanahan scripted to Bates calling the plays. I also believe that is why we looked relatively good in hurry up mode when Bates wasn't calling the plays.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #22
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Moreno is up there on my list, too.

Just player-specific, the guys I'm most excited to see in pre-season are...

1. Ayers
2. Dumervil at new position.
3. Moreno
4. Dawkins
5. Orton
6. Hillis (How does he fit, exactly?)

But, I'm also fairly stoked to see a lot of the role-players. Guys like Gaffney and Jordan don't look that exciting on paper, but remember what a fan favorite Pittman became? I think some of these new role-players have a chance of becoming surprise hits with the fans.

I'm out of my brain excited every season, but for some reason... this season just feels even more exciting, to me. I'm chomping at the bit for any bit of camp news, and we still have a LONG way to go.
No one has mentioned Graham, I know he isn't exciting to watch.

Does he get less looks than before or did NE use the TE a lot?

A would assume they used them more in the red zone?
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #23
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Lol thanks Loves me some MS paint.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #24
80smith
Perennial Pro-bowler

Love me some grilled food!

I'm looking for some good time of possession on the offense. Keep the D off the field.
80smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #25
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

The end of the season.

All jokes aside, I am excited about the defense. I believe they upgraded some positions and the 3-4 should be interesting. I am hoping to see Champ on the line, instead of 15 yards off. I think watching the progression of Ayers will be fun too.
Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote