The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,772

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Kyle Orton : Iíve had a strong enough arm my entire career. I donít listen to critics

We’re getting ever closer - training camps in the National Football League are just about a month away. As we’ve said here on Sports Radio Interviews all offseason, the play of the quarterbacks in Chicago and in Denver are going to dominate the headlines - and deservedly so - for much of 2009 and even beyond. All eyes will be on young quarterback Kyle Orton to make the Broncos look either really smart or really, really stupid for dealing Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears this offseason. With training camp approaching, let’s take a listen to Orton to see how things are progressing in new coach Josh McDaniels’s explosive system. He joined 104.3 The Fan in Denver on Wednesday to talk about being named the starter by his head coach (’for now’) before the start of training camp and other similar topics.


On if he was surprised that Coach McDaniels named him the starter over Chris Simms despite training camp being more than a month away:

“I didn’t put too much thought in to it - I just try to go out every day and improve and get this offense under my belt and play as good as I can.”



On how he’s gone about exuding leadership qualities in the few short months he’s been in Denver, particularly since his coach has shown so much confidence in him:

“Yeah I think it’s an important thing to have a quarterback that carries the leadership role. I think it’s been tough early on, splitting reps, and having one guy in the huddle and then another guy in the huddle. It’s a tough thing to develop leadership from the position when it’s like that. So that’s really what I look forward to at training camp - being in there with one guy and really trying to lead this football team and lead this offense to be as good as we can be and see if we can win a lot of football games this year.”



On what fans and the media can expect from Josh McDaniels’s offense when it’s clicking:

“You’re not going to see one thing from week to week. I think we try to exploit the team’s weaknesses that we’re going to play and hopefully just find the best way to beat that football team and as long as the players execute the system we should win a lot of games.”


On what he says to those who think he doesn’t have NFL-caliber arm strength:

“I’ve had a strong enough arm my entire career. I don’t listen to critics. I feel like I’ve had a nice start to my career and being with these coaches and these players, I’m just getting better and better and I just think this trade is the jump start to the second part of my career.”



http://sportsradiointerviews.com/200...ngs-in-denver/





Last edited by Bronco Rob; 06-19-2009 at 09:49 AM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
Wut

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,011

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default

In other news Kyle Orton says he has a stronger beard than Jake Plummer.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,475

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

I wonder if "critics" includes former coaches, in his opinion?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Meck77
.
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,789
Default

I could care less about any individuals on the Broncos roster. What I would like to see is the team improve throughout the season instead of getting their asses handed to them and embarrassed down the stretch.

Bring back the era of "ugly wins" and playoff births. At least back then we had a chance and made the playoffs even though we were severely outplayed but that is what happens whey you play superbowl contenders.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,240

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Thanks Bronco Rob!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer
 
Dudeskey's Avatar
 
This space for rent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
In other news Kyle Orton says he has a stronger neckbeard than Jake Plummer.
Fixed...ô
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,916
Default

sometimes medium strength arms do better. The QB realizes some throws he just can't make, while the Cutler type will try any throw. Many times the one who makes decisions based on what he knows he can't do makes far fewer mistakes.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,348

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
In other news Kyle Orton says he has a stronger beard than Jake Plummer.
i think he used the phrase 'hands down'...
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Popps
It's so easy
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
I could care less about any individuals on the Broncos roster. What I would like to see is the team improve throughout the season instead of getting their asses handed to them and embarrassed down the stretch.

Bring back the era of "ugly wins" and playoff births. At least back then we had a chance and made the playoffs even though we were severely outplayed but that is what happens whey you play superbowl contenders.
That's been my complaint for years, now.

I think we can all agree that this season is going to be tough. Even with no changes, this schedule would have been pretty brutal. But, installing a new offense/defense... it's going to be a rebuilding year.

But, I still think this team will be an improved team by season's end.

People around this message board will remain fixed on the QB, just like they did with Cutler and Plummer. But, Orton won't be the story. He'll just be part of it. McDaniels is installing a completely new philosophy for this franchise. If guys buy in, and I believe they are... you're going to see a much different Broncos team.

To me, the kind of philosophy McDaniels is installing is not only much more effective over time... it's just more fun to watch and root for.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,446

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

he doesn't have a Cutler type of arm, but he is far from being a Chad pennington type. look at his college highlights, he has a decent arm. just in Chicago he was never given an opportunity to showcase the arm, due to lack of weapons, and the conservative style of offense the Bears always run.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer
 
supermanhr9's Avatar
 
"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Back in DENVER BABY!!
Posts: 1,215

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody
Default

Neck beard will be fine. We all will have to remember mistakes happen, especially at the QB position, so I am more concerned on how he will take the immense pressure from the OMANERS and the rest of the city when he has a bad game, or makes a dumb decision. He's solid, let's see if he's solid upstairs.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,805

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I've seen Orton enough to conclude his arm strength is fine for the NFL. He doesn't have a rocket, but he gets the throws there where he needs to. His lack of mobility is what concerns me the most. I should say his quickness or lack of bothers me. It seems to take him awhile to build up any kind of speed while escaping the rush or simply getting out of the pocket and quicker DL tend to get him before he can escape. Once he gets going and building up speed, he can get down the field. It's just the short area quickness where he seems to be lacking. But with this OL the Broncos, that shouldn't be as big a deal as it was with the Bears.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,721

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

accurate, smart throws will do it for me versus a bullet that could have been picked off in a tight spot

he will be fine, I bet he makes fewer mistakes than Jay did
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
Mr Chatterboodamn
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
Mr Chatterboodamn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 845

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cory Boyd
Default

wow, the things people will say
Mr Chatterboodamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
RaiderH8r
In The Bag
 
RaiderH8r's Avatar
 
Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Meth Alley
Posts: 10,499

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbmasterflash View Post
accurate, smart throws will do it for me versus a bullet that could have been picked off in a tight spot

he will be fine, I bet he makes fewer mistakes than Jay did
Yeah, Denver's success with weak/moderate armed precision passers by far blows away Denver's success with big armed gunslingers.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 20,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
he doesn't have a Cutler type of arm, but he is far from being a Chad pennington type. look at his college highlights, he has a decent arm. just in Chicago he was never given an opportunity to showcase the arm, due to lack of weapons, and the conservative style of offense the Bears always run.
more like he couldn't beat out Grossman or Griese for the starting job
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20,329

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
Yeah, Denver's success with weak/moderate armed precision passers by far blows away Denver's success with big armed gunslingers.

So John Elway was just a guy with a strong arm?
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #18
rastaman
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
I've seen Orton enough to conclude his arm strength is fine for the NFL. He doesn't have a rocket, but he gets the throws there where he needs to. His lack of mobility is what concerns me the most. I should say his quickness or lack of bothers me. It seems to take him awhile to build up any kind of speed while escaping the rush or simply getting out of the pocket and quicker DL tend to get him before he can escape. Once he gets going and building up speed, he can get down the field. It's just the short area quickness where he seems to be lacking. But with this OL the Broncos, that shouldn't be as big a deal as it was with the Bears.
Ummmmmm.....seems as if Ole' Orton maybe a prime candidate for "Taser or Cattle Prod" therapy to help build incentive for more quickness!!!
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #19
orinjkrush
...
 
orinjkrush's Avatar
 
Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: FrontRangeAbove8500ft
Posts: 5,217

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland
Default

Craig Morton and Haven Moses got us to the Super Bowl.

Oh yeah, and the Orange Crush.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
rastaman
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
That's been my complaint for years, now.

I think we can all agree that this season is going to be tough. Even with no changes, this schedule would have been pretty brutal. But, installing a new offense/defense... it's going to be a rebuilding year.

But, I still think this team will be an improved team by season's end.

People around this message board will remain fixed on the QB, just like they did with Cutler and Plummer. But, Orton won't be the story. He'll just be part of it. McDaniels is installing a completely new philosophy for this franchise. If guys buy in, and I believe they are... you're going to see a much different Broncos team.

To me, the kind of philosophy McDaniels is installing is not only much more effective over time... it's just more fun to watch and root for.
So if you belive Denver is in for a tough year! How many wins are you predicting?
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #21
BearMan18
Solid Starter
 
BearMan18's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
That's been my complaint for years, now.

I think we can all agree that this season is going to be tough. Even with no changes, this schedule would have been pretty brutal. But, installing a new offense/defense... it's going to be a rebuilding year.

But, I still think this team will be an improved team by season's end.

People around this message board will remain fixed on the QB, just like they did with Cutler and Plummer. But, Orton won't be the story. He'll just be part of it. McDaniels is installing a completely new philosophy for this franchise. If guys buy in, and I believe they are... you're going to see a much different Broncos team.

To me, the kind of philosophy McDaniels is installing is not only much more effective over time... it's just more fun to watch and root for.
Good post, but you're underestimating Orton. The guy does way more than his numbers reflect!

I'm new here but I've already read a ton of posts of yours that I like! Looking forward to getting to know you better!
BearMan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #22
ORTONRULES
Rookie
 
ORTONRULES's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
So if you belive Denver is in for a tough year! How many wins are you predicting?
predicting wins before training camp is for the birds.

Yet you all do get to play the chargers, chiefs and raiders twice each that should be 6 wins right there.

Who is the biggest rival anyway the chargers?
ORTONRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #23
BearMan18
Solid Starter
 
BearMan18's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORTONRULES View Post
predicting wins before training camp is for the birds.

Yet you all do get to play the chargers, chiefs and raiders twice each that should be 6 wins right there.

Who is the biggest rival anyway the chargers?
I think so.

I don't think they have any storied rivalries like we used to with the Packers.
BearMan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #24
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20,329

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMan18 View Post
I think so.

I don't think they have any storied rivalries like we used to with the Packers.
Itsn ot the Bears/Pack...but Broncos/Raiders is a great rivalry...well, when the raiders are good.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #25
BearMan18
Solid Starter
 
BearMan18's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Itsn ot the Bears/Pack...but Broncos/Raiders is a great rivalry...well, when the raiders are good.
Who?

Are the Raiders still even in the NFL?
BearMan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Denver Broncos