The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,056

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default 2009 Confederation Cup

Anyone else watching this?

US played tough against Italy, then flat our sucked today vs. Brazil.

Egypt was incredible today thus opening the door for the US to have a slim chance to advance with a win by 3 goals on Sunday.

What do people here think of the squad? Altidore is fast, nice to have a player like that finally. and Kjeston has a leg to shoot outside of the box which will be exciting when the World Cup gets here.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
bronco_boi_5280
Solid Starter
 
bronco_boi_5280's Avatar
 
The Birdman Flies

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 246

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Andersen
Default

/rehash of soccer fans vs. non-soccer fans in 3...2...1...
bronco_boi_5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
broncofan7
Ring of Famer
 
broncofan7's Avatar
 
BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BIG D
Posts: 6,005
Default

Our coaching is GOD ****ing AWFUL and Beasley needs to be cut. Adu needs to get a chance and we are missing Brian Ching among others--we honestly look like a HS team out ther today--giving up a goal less than 6 minutes in--onyaehou--or however you spell it, is big stiff who is often times out of position or getting called for fouls......We are in BIG trouble and may not even qualify for the WC with this type of effort. We play Mexico in MEXICO in August I think--a place that we have never won in, and we had better look a whole lot better then than we do now----and we have no chance of beating Egypt at all, let alone by 3 goals........
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,923

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Adu is the most overrated human being since Judas won the best disciple award in 28 AD.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic
 
s0phr0syne's Avatar
 
Absorb and Redirect

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,626

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I hope Beasley has played himself off the squad these last 4 games. The goal he gave up today off our corner was horrendous.

I don't know what you're talking about in terms of Altidore--I really liked what he did against Costa Rica and Honduras, but in South Africa against the better competition he had horrible games. His first touches were so detrimental against Italy and then today against Brazil he was very ineffective. He looks too tentative...which is the whole point of giving him some game experience, but I haven't seen ANY improvement over the last 2 weeks.

Beasley's minutes were wasted, and I hope he doesn't get any more starts. Feilhaber should be in there all the time as he offers more hustle in the midfield and actually poses a threat on offense.

I've been impressed by Bornstein's play while Bocanegra has been out. However, Bornstein, Feilhaber, and Klechstan are all too reckless with some of their challenges...we were lucky to not have 2 red cards today against Brazil.

Spektor has been doing great in the back, and I'm not sure about one of the other poster's criticisms of Onyewu--he's had some bad plays but on the whole he's been great in clearing things out of the box. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by his play. Spektor is really great because he's got great hustle on D and he's actually been key in opening up what little offense we've had.

Casey has looked like a spark on offense against both Brazil and Honduras, but he must be doing something badly to not be getting more minutes.

Donovan has been money on the PKs and has been having good overall games, but for a "big name" he's not producing enough on offense.

Dempsey has been another mixed bag from what I've seen--he'll do somethings that leave you scratching your head and lose to many posessions, but then at other times he displays some amazing ball skills that make me think he's got the most talent on the field.

Our posessions have been mainly wasted with ****ty passing and no ability to beat the one-vs-one matchups.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,623

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Beasly played himself off the squad over a year ago. Bradley is the only one who doesn't realize it. I like how he says Adu can't get playing time on the national team until he starts to play regular club ball, but how much has Beasly been playing at Rangers? Oh that's right...(Altidore says hi as well, hypocirte much?)

US team is just not that good. The talent level is marginal and the coaching is terrible. The lineup's Bradley put's out are devoid of any thought. We have no identity other than "work rate". Well guess what? Work rate doesn't score goals or get results.

This team will be absolutley embarrased next summer. Again.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
broncofan2438
Faneco this...
 
broncofan2438's Avatar
 
LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California
Posts: 6,296

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER
Default

U.S. sucks......they always look aweful playing international teams.
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 7,452

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

Not only do we have to win by 3 goals, Brazil has to beat Italy by 4...
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
Kid A
Ring of Famer
 
Kid A's Avatar
 
I don't need love. I just need wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,257

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Not only do we have to win by 3 goals, Brazil has to beat Italy by 4...
Yeah, it's not happening. Best hope now is to salvage some respect/confidence against a good Egypt squad.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
Beasly played himself off the squad over a year ago. Bradley is the only one who doesn't realize it. I like how he says Adu can't get playing time on the national team until he starts to play regular club ball, but how much has Beasly been playing at Rangers? Oh that's right...(Altidore says hi as well, hypocirte much?)

US team is just not that good. The talent level is marginal and the coaching is terrible. The lineup's Bradley put's out are devoid of any thought. We have no identity other than "work rate". Well guess what? Work rate doesn't score goals or get results.

This team will be absolutley embarrased next summer. Again.
Its time for Bradley to hit the road.

His dependence on guys like Ching, Klesjian, and Beasley shows his inability to adapt and to evaluate talent. There are guys that deserve to get a shot, but have been virtually locked out by Bradley. Kenny Cooper, Feilhaber, Torres, and even Altidore have all been overlooked in favor of Bradley favorites.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,623

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkillet View Post
Its time for Bradley to hit the road.

His dependence on guys like Ching, Klesjian, and Beasley shows his inability to adapt and to evaluate talent. There are guys that deserve to get a shot, but have been virtually locked out by Bradley. Kenny Cooper, Feilhaber, Torres, and even Altidore have all been overlooked in favor of Bradley favorites.
I agree with most of that. However, I think Altidore is getting much more of a shot then he deserves lately. I like the kid and think he has some seirous potential, but he's not ready for the international game at its highest level.

I would love to see more of Feilhaber and Torres. But Bradley has no consitency. He takes Torres out at halftime because of a bad turnover, but leaves guys like Dempsey in when they do the same thing. Everyone needs to start to be accountable for their on-field performance, period.

Cooper I think is a waste of time. He's just not that good, imo.

The guy that pisses me off the most right now (outside of Beasly) is Dempsey. The guy plays very well for Fulham, but can't contribute to the national at all on any level. It's guys like this that need to sit for awhile until they can prove they deserve to be in the starting 11.

I'd also like to see Boceneagra (sp i know) out to left back (our worst position by far), a position he knows and keep Oneywu and DeMerit in the middle. Let Bornstein, Spector, Pearce, and Hejduk fight it out for the right back spot.

Klesijan is a complete joke at this level of competition. How he got the start over a guy like Feilhaber, I have no idea.

Lastly, Bradely needs to go. He has no imagination and this team has no identity at all. To really take that next step forward, we need to go out and spend on bucks on a true national coach that has the experience and knowledge of the game at the international level and can relate that to our players.

It might as well start now, because this team will be more embarassed at next year's World Cup then they were the last go around. The Ghana game still haunts me.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic
 
s0phr0syne's Avatar
 
Absorb and Redirect

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,626

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

What's your assessment of Bradley jr.?
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #13
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,354

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I dont watch US "football" i watched a really good match today Eygpt and Italy.

Im a headhutner fan
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #14
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,623

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
What's your assessment of Bradley jr.?
I like him. However, he still makes too many mistakes and I haven't forgiven him for his "I give up" goal against Costa Rica.

He's another guy that has some potential as a controlling midfielder, but just isn't ready yet for the prime time. For a defending midfielder, he makes too many mental mistakes on defense. His distribution out of the midfield is just average.

I do think he deserves his playing time (aka not a coaches son decision), but it's also a little difficult to take him out when you have retards like Klestjan, Mastoreni, and Clark getting red carded every game.

Ideally, I'd like to see Clark as the holding mid and someone like Torres, Feilhaber, or even Adu as the attacking mid. Clark imo, has a better skill set than Bradely, but needs better coaching to establish some game awarenes, which has always been his weak spot.

Overall, I think Bradley is a case of a guy that can play up at a higher level when his team mates are better than him (see his impressive season with Heerenveen) but doesn't possess the ability to raise his team mates level of play by himself.

Last edited by Atwater His Ass; 06-19-2009 at 06:55 AM..
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #15
FantomForce
Long live the Mane!
 
FantomForce's Avatar
 
The Incredible BULK!

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Silt, Colorado
Posts: 2,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
Our coaching is GOD ****ing AWFUL and Beasley needs to be cut. Adu needs to get a chance and we are missing Brian Ching among others--we honestly look like a HS team out ther today--giving up a goal less than 6 minutes in--onyaehou--or however you spell it, is big stiff who is often times out of position or getting called for fouls......We are in BIG trouble and may not even qualify for the WC with this type of effort. We play Mexico in MEXICO in August I think--a place that we have never won in, and we had better look a whole lot better then than we do now----and we have no chance of beating Egypt at all, let alone by 3 goals........
Well put
FantomForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #16
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer
 
SleepingTiger's Avatar
 
Ole J

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murphy TX
Posts: 1,505

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
I hope Beasley has played himself off the squad these last 4 games. The goal he gave up today off our corner was horrendous.

Beasley's minutes were wasted, and I hope he doesn't get any more starts. Feilhaber should be in there all the time as he offers more hustle in the midfield and actually poses a threat on offense.
I think Beasley is good, he is just not in form. He is not getting any minutes with Celtic. He should be given time.


Quote:
I don't know what you're talking about in terms of Altidore--I really liked what he did against Costa Rica and Honduras, but in South Africa against the better competition he had horrible games. His first touches were so detrimental against Italy and then today against Brazil he was very ineffective. He looks too tentative...which is the whole point of giving him some game experience, but I haven't seen ANY improvement over the last 2 weeks.
Altidore is too gun shy. The game vs Italy he should of scored. Donovan had a perfect thru pass only to see Altidore trying to center it into 3 defenders. Like you said, his first touch is horrid. Either he doesn't see the field well or he is just bad at handeling the ball, I'm afraid its the later.


Quote:
Donovan has been money on the PKs and has been having good overall games, but for a "big name" he's not producing enough on offense.
Donovan is by himself on the pitch. This squad would be clueless without him.

Quote:
Dempsey has been another mixed bag from what I've seen--he'll do somethings that leave you scratching your head and lose to many posessions, but then at other times he displays some amazing ball skills that make me think he's got the most talent on the field.
Dempsey thinks he is Messi out there. He tends to dribble the into a crowd trying to draw defenders toward him. Only difference is Messi is able to make that pass to an open player. Dempsey just looses it and dives. He does however have good moments like you said.

Quote:
Our posessions have been mainly wasted with ****ty passing and no ability to beat the one-vs-one matchups.
Landon and Dempsey does have the ability to win the one vs one matchups. Either they have no one to pass it too or the pass they do make is lost on the first touch.

Bradley is a horrible coach. i wonder what it will take to get a real coach like Guus Hiddink?
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #17
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
I agree with most of that. However, I think Altidore is getting much more of a shot then he deserves lately. I like the kid and think he has some seirous potential, but he's not ready for the international game at its highest level.
Altidore is the best option up top. Though he may have his faults, he has skills that can cause problems for even the best defenders...he was a menace to Italy in the first match. They couldnt handle him.

Quote:
I would love to see more of Feilhaber and Torres. But Bradley has no consitency. He takes Torres out at halftime because of a bad turnover, but leaves guys like Dempsey in when they do the same thing. Everyone needs to start to be accountable for their on-field performance, period.
Feilhaber and Torres are really the only midfielders on the squad who have vision and control over the entire pitch. Bradley can swing the ball across the field, Donovan can play the ball pretty well in short space when he's on, and Dempsey can do similar things...but the forementioned guys can gather the ball and play it intelligently into the space that puts the defense at a disadvantage. Feilhaber can also score...I'm not sure about Torres' scoring prowess but simply because we havent seen much of him.

Quote:
Cooper I think is a waste of time. He's just not that good, imo.
Cooper is the only forward in the bunch with any sort of creative streak. Hes also really good at playing in combination with attacking midfielders, which seems to be exactly what the team needs. Ching is a holding forward who cant win and hold up the ball. Casey is way too slow for the intl. game.

Quote:
The guy that pisses me off the most right now (outside of Beasly) is Dempsey. The guy plays very well for Fulham, but can't contribute to the national at all on any level. It's guys like this that need to sit for awhile until they can prove they deserve to be in the starting 11.
Youre right about that one. Dempsey is playing like he's burned out, and hes potentially the best player on the squad. They need to sit him and reintroduce him closer to the cup, and in the meantime give his minutes to Feilhaber and Torres.

Quote:
I'd also like to see Boceneagra (sp i know) out to left back (our worst position by far), a position he knows and keep Oneywu and DeMerit in the middle. Let Bornstein, Spector, Pearce, and Hejduk fight it out for the right back spot.
That's not a bad idea. Demerit has the mental toughness needed in the middle. That would put the best 4 defenders on the pitch. When Cherundolo gets back he can reassume right back.

Quote:
Klesijan is a complete joke at this level of competition. How he got the start over a guy like Feilhaber, I have no idea.
He played for Bradley at Chivas.

Quote:
Lastly, Bradely needs to go. He has no imagination and this team has no identity at all. To really take that next step forward, we need to go out and spend on bucks on a true national coach that has the experience and knowledge of the game at the international level and can relate that to our players.
The US team used to get by on effort. The talent level has increased to the point that we can beat Mexico regularly and maintain control over the region in qualifying. However, the talent level is nowhere near what is needed to coast against the likes of Brazil and Italy. This team has lost its cajones. There is little motivation and effort, and I believe that to be Bradley's fault.

Quote:
It might as well start now, because this team will be more embarassed at next year's World Cup then they were the last go around. The Ghana game still haunts me.
To be fair, the US got a raw deal in that tourney. They showed better against Italy than any other team in the tournament despite being at a huge disadvantage. Ghana won with a gimme penalty in a game that the US controlled. The result against Medved, Koller, and the Czechs was inexcuseable...a complete collapse.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #18
DBruleU
Ring of Famer
 
DBruleU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Boulder
Posts: 3,701
Default

What's amazing to me really is that since WC 1998, when I believe the United States Soccer Federation made that goal of really competing for the WC in 2010/2014 or whatever because of that poor showing in '98, it seems we have made little to no progress developing talent.

I just don't get. As a huge soccer fan, who has been all over Europe playing and watching soccer, we seem to still be below much smaller and poorer nations when it comes to developing young players that can compete with everyone else. We have a population of over 300 million here now, and we still can't develop a program that is going to take young promising players and develop them their skills into something respectable? I can't remember who made the claim, I think it may have been Pele or another legend, but they said with the US and the population we have, theres no reason we shouldn't be able to field a highly competitive team capable of challenging for the WC.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but in EU or SA kids from young ages live and breath the sport. I wish we would provide the kids here the chance to play every day like they do in other countries at academies where they also are given education. I believe we have something like that in FL, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. That and as long as our domestic league is crap, the MLS, then we will never become better. I can't even force myself to sit through a whole MLS match. It's painful to watch at times.
DBruleU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #19
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,585

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Bradley sucks! WTF is Beas even on the team for, let alone starting?!?!?! Bradley definitely needs to get fired, he has run this team into the ground. Even Dempsey sucks now.

Spector, Altidore, Torres, Adu, Onyewu, Donovan, nad maybe Bradley all need to be on the field. Everyone else needs a reality check.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #20
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,056

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

Im just hoping they come out with some heart against Egypt and shut the door on their chance of advancing.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #21
DHallblows
Ring of Famer
 
DHallblows's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 2,608
Default

So reading through the thread I've come to this conclusion: Llama should just post his opinion over and over because it's always correct.

That is all, continue
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #22
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,623

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBruleU View Post
What's amazing to me really is that since WC 1998, when I believe the United States Soccer Federation made that goal of really competing for the WC in 2010/2014 or whatever because of that poor showing in '98, it seems we have made little to no progress developing talent.

I just don't get. As a huge soccer fan, who has been all over Europe playing and watching soccer, we seem to still be below much smaller and poorer nations when it comes to developing young players that can compete with everyone else. We have a population of over 300 million here now, and we still can't develop a program that is going to take young promising players and develop them their skills into something respectable? I can't remember who made the claim, I think it may have been Pele or another legend, but they said with the US and the population we have, theres no reason we shouldn't be able to field a highly competitive team capable of challenging for the WC.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but in EU or SA kids from young ages live and breath the sport. I wish we would provide the kids here the chance to play every day like they do in other countries at academies where they also are given education. I believe we have something like that in FL, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. That and as long as our domestic league is crap, the MLS, then we will never become better. I can't even force myself to sit through a whole MLS match. It's painful to watch at times.
You have to find some middle ground though. Soccer just won't ever be as popular here as it is everywhere else in the world. That's never going to change.

The sad truth is soccer in the US is generally getting the athletes that couldn't make it in football, basketball, or baseball, whereas countries like Brazil, Italy, and England are generally getting the top athletes that they can produce. I mean, imagine if we had a team with athlete like LeBron, Kobe, Brandon Marshall, Reggie Bush, etc etc. Top that off with the culture difference, and it's almost impossible for the US to compete with these teams in matches that really matter anywhere in the world.

A major problem that breeds from that is complacency within our youth development program all the way up to the national team. There just isn't enough fan interest to drive accountability. Hell we can't even draw more US fans for just about any game played on US soil.

MLS was a step in the right direction, but let's be real. It's a joke of a league on the world stage. All that needs to be said about MLS is that when Beckham realized he still had a chance to play in the next World Cup, he did everything he could to get out of the league and back to Europe because he knew that playing reguarly at MLS wouldn't help him achieve that goal. IMO if Beckham didn't think his England days were over, he never would have came over to MLS in the first place.

New leadership needs to be introduced at the highest levels for the US team. The current regime has proven they cannot get it done. Even with all the challenges that face the US in developing a quality team, we do in fact have the skill level to at least be competitive and not continually get embarrased by the Brazil's and Spain's of the world. The leadership just isn't there.

Last edited by Atwater His Ass; 06-19-2009 at 04:28 PM..
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #23
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,623

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkillet View Post
Altidore is the best option up top. Though he may have his faults, he has skills that can cause problems for even the best defenders...he was a menace to Italy in the first match. They couldnt handle him.
I agree he is the best and that's why he's getting minutes. The problem is that a 19 year old kid who doesn't play reguarly with his club team is our best striking option.

That said, I'll stand by my assessment that he's not ready for that role yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkillet View Post
Feilhaber and Torres are really the only midfielders on the squad who have vision and control over the entire pitch. Bradley can swing the ball across the field, Donovan can play the ball pretty well in short space when he's on, and Dempsey can do similar things...but the forementioned guys can gather the ball and play it intelligently into the space that puts the defense at a disadvantage. Feilhaber can also score...I'm not sure about Torres' scoring prowess but simply because we havent seen much of him.
We are obviously on the same page here. We need to see more of Torres and I really think Feilhaber could be a great player in the proper environment and if he can get the chip off his shoulder.

Long term, I think Adu will take this role away from these guys. I still think Adu will turn into a special player. But he desperately needs a coach that develop him and Bradley isn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkillet View Post
Cooper is the only forward in the bunch with any sort of creative streak. Hes also really good at playing in combination with attacking midfielders, which seems to be exactly what the team needs. Ching is a holding forward who cant win and hold up the ball. Casey is way too slow for the intl. game.
I don't know what you see here. Cooper is perhaps the least creative forward we have. He's horrible on the ball and hasn't shown any touch that he can lay off passes for other players. His only redeeming quality is his size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkillet View Post
Youre right about that one. Dempsey is playing like he's burned out, and hes potentially the best player on the squad. They need to sit him and reintroduce him closer to the cup, and in the meantime give his minutes to Feilhaber and Torres.
Yea, Dempsey needs a break. However, he always seemes to look lost, tired, out of it on the national team. It's like he resents having to play with these guys and it's somehow hurting his stock at the club level.

I get the feeling Tim Howard feels this way lately as well. Although I realize both have just come out of extensive seasons in Europe. Bradley should definately be giving these guys a break, but I also think after the break, they need to prove they want to be on the team and work their way back on. Nothing should be taken for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkillet View Post
That's not a bad idea. Demerit has the mental toughness needed in the middle. That would put the best 4 defenders on the pitch. When Cherundolo gets back he can reassume right back.
Forgot out Steve. Although I'll stress again, positions need to be an open battle. Everyone must know that their spot is not garaenteed. Players in the best form that have the best charisma with the rest of the team should be the guys starting.



Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkillet View Post
He played for Bradley at Chivas.
Just bolsters my case that Bradley doesn't know how to get the best players on the pitch. Klejstan has zero none nada business even being on the bench for the national team at this time.



Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkillet View Post
The US team used to get by on effort. The talent level has increased to the point that we can beat Mexico regularly and maintain control over the region in qualifying. However, the talent level is nowhere near what is needed to coast against the likes of Brazil and Italy. This team has lost its cajones. There is little motivation and effort, and I believe that to be Bradley's fault.
I think the talent level is there. I don't think the coaching staff knows how to get it to work. I'm not saying we can beat the best in the world, but we should be able to be competitive with them.

Getting by on effort is the mantra of a decade ago. It was ok then because it's all we had. But now we've been promised improvement and we expect it. Fans want results, not moral victories. This team is really no better than it was 3 years ago and that's unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkillet View Post
To be fair, the US got a raw deal in that tourney. They showed better against Italy than any other team in the tournament despite being at a huge disadvantage. Ghana won with a gimme penalty in a game that the US controlled. The result against Medved, Koller, and the Czechs was inexcuseable...a complete collapse.
Point remains that the US, outside of a fluke against Portugal in SK, just doesn't/can't get it done.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #24
DHallblows
Ring of Famer
 
DHallblows's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 2,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
Yea, Dempsey needs a break. However, he always seemes to look lost, tired, out of it on the national team. It's like he resents having to play with these guys and it's somehow hurting his stock at the club level.

I get the feeling Tim Howard feels this way lately as well. Although I realize both have just come out of extensive seasons in Europe. Bradley should definately be giving these guys a break, but I also think after the break, they need to prove they want to be on the team and work their way back on. Nothing should be taken for granted.
Completely agree with you here. It's not that he can't perform with lesser talent, it's just annoying as **** to do

Everyone who plays in England needs some rest. Bradley needs to get his head out of his ass and manage this team(/get fired preferably)

The only thing I disagree with is proving they need to be on the team. They're clearly the top of our team, they play in England and not in other random countries in Europe for a reason.
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #25
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer
 
atomicbloke's Avatar
 
La 12 Boca Juniors

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line
Default

How come broncocalijohn hasn't yet hate-jacked this thread with this patented pseudo patriotic rants?
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Denver Broncos