The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Default OT-Motorcycle

So, I just got back from the Community College were I signed up for the Motorcycle Rider Course. It's one day of classroom training and 2 days on a bike. If I pass I can go to the DMV and get my motorcycle license.

Been wanting a motorcycle for years, but was always afraid to fall off and didn't want to spend all the money on motorcycle and gear. I figured it's about time to go ahead and get things started, so here I am.

What I want to know is, who out there rides and what do you ride (pics welcomed)? Also do you have any advice for a beginner?

EDIT: If you have bike recommandations I'm 6'2" and prefer a Sporty looking Bike for now.

Thanks
hilife

Last edited by HILife; 06-20-2009 at 12:14 PM..
HILife is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Hell yes I ride, and there is really only one Bike to have (all others are posers)-buy a Harley! If you don't you will always want one-

If I were in your shoes I'd get a Sportster-easy to learn on, low center of gravity, easy to control, Belt Drive, and reasonably priced-best of all, it will keep it's value better than anything out there-

Last edited by bronclvr; 06-18-2009 at 08:53 AM..
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

"Wear a helmet"-- mom
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Here is what Kelen Winslow recommends
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post

What about Rothlesburger?
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

KTM Supermoto
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronclvr View Post
Hell yes I ride, and there is really only one Bike to have (all others are posers)-buy a Harley! If you don't you will always want one-

If I were in your shoes I'd get a Sportster-easy to learn on, low center of gravity, easy to control, Belt Drive, and reasonably priced-best of all, it will keep it's value better than anything out there-

I really want a sport bike and Harley, from what I can tell, only makes crusiers. I would ride for a while before I got a crusier.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post

I prefer not to fall off the bike. So you won't mind if I ignore his recommandation.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilife View Post
So, I just got back from the Community College were I signed up for the Motorcycle Rider Course. It's one day of classroom training and 2 days on a bike. If I pass I can go to the DMV and get my motorcycle license.

Been wanting a motorcycle for years, but was always afraid to fall off and didn't want to spend all the money on motorcycle and gear. I figured it's about time to go ahead and get things started, so here I am.

What I want to know is, who out there rides and what do you ride (pics welcomed)? Also do you have any advice for a beginner?

Thanks
hilife
Stay out of blind spots. Keep it in a lower gear on the freeway so you can accelerate out of trouble as well as braking to get out of trouble. Don't skimp on a helmet, get the best. Keep your tires with plenty of tread. Carry spare fuses, especially the main fuse. Carry a spare tire valve and a valve tool.

Start out with a lower CC bike for a year to get used to riding, buy it used from a dealer, their reputation depends on selling decent bikes, say a 450-500. They're cheap and it's hard to f up buying a bike. If it's clean, has good tires, doesn't leak, chain's in good shape, all the lights work, both brakes work, it's probably a good bike.

Go through the low gears slowly on the test ride up to the redline, listen for bad sounds, vibration. The test ride is the only time I recommend going without a helmet, and that's only for the low gears. If there's no bad sounds or vibrations in the low gears up to redline, just go through the rest of the gears cursorily. You'll want to take it up to 55 mph at least to check for vibrations.

Downshift through every gear also, and stress it downshifting from high RPM's.

Don't get too excited and jump on a 600 crotch rocket right away. Learn the ropes first, and there's a hell of a lot of ropes to learn. One year on a smaller bike in the school of hard knocks and you'll be doing it right.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
I really want a sport bike and Harley, from what I can tell, only makes crusiers. I would ride for a while before I got a crusier.
You are correct when you said you want a bike, a sport bike is just that a bike not to be confused with a real motorcycle. Harley Davidson makes a real motorcycle for real men not a bike for boys. Riding a sport bike is a completely different experience from riding a Harley. Not saying riding a sport bike is not fun, I'm sure it is but don't call it a motorcycle. I ride a 2003 Scramin Eagle road king.
"Just be careful I see a lot of newbies splattered on the road, The one good thing about sport bike riders is they usually wear leather protection and a full face helmet.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Stay out of blind spots. Keep it in a lower gear on the freeway so you can accelerate out of trouble as well as braking to get out of trouble. Don't skimp on a helmet, get the best. Keep your tires with plenty of tread. Carry spare fuses, especially the main fuse. Carry a spare tire valve and a valve tool.

Start out with a lower CC bike for a year to get used to riding, buy it used from a dealer, their reputation depends on selling decent bikes, say a 450-500. They're cheap and it's hard to f up buying a bike. If it's clean, has good tires, doesn't leak, chain's in good shape, all the lights work, both brakes work, it's probably a good bike.

Go through the low gears slowly on the test ride up to the redline, listen for bad sounds, vibration. The test ride is the only time I recommend going without a helmet, and that's only for the low gears. If there's no bad sounds or vibrations in the low gears up to redline, just go through the rest of the gears cursorily. You'll want to take it up to 55 mph at least to check for vibrations.

Downshift through every gear also, and stress it downshifting from high RPM's.

Don't get too excited and jump on a 600 crotch rocket right away. Learn the ropes first, and there's a hell of a lot of ropes to learn. One year on a smaller bike in the school of hard knocks and you'll be doing it right.
Good advice. I will keep it in mind. Wouldn't anything less then 750 be to small for me. I 6'2" and I tried to sit on a 600 crotch rocket and it was very crampt
Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
You are correct when you said you want a bike, a sport bike is just that a bike not to be confused with a real motorcycle. Harley Davidson makes a real motorcycle for real men not a bike for boys. Riding a sport bike is a completely different experience from riding a Harley. Not saying riding a sport bike is not fun, I'm sure it is but don't call it a motorcycle. I ride a 2003 Scramin Eagle road king.
"Just be careful I see a lot of newbies splattered on the road, The one good thing about sport bike riders is they usually wear leather protection and a full face helmet.
Wouldn't mind a Harley one day, two people at my work ride one.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Don't start out with a sport bike/crotch rocket. Get into them slowly. Even if you only ride your first slow bike for a few months, you learn the basics you're gonna need to ride fast and safe. You learn a lot those first few months, make your inevitable mistakes on a slower bike. That's good advice, life.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #14
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Good advice. I will keep it in mind. Wouldn't anything less then 750 be to small for me. I 6'2" and I tried to sit on a 600 crotch rocket and it was very crampt
No. You can find what's called a commuter bike just to get your feet wet so to speak that won't leave you cramped. IMO, it's important to make your inevitable mistakes as a first time rider in traffic on a slower bike. A 750 is too big to start out with. It's not a matter of how tall you are, it's a matter of experience. You're gonna be surprised how many ways you can get into trouble on two wheels. It's better to get into your inevitable trouble at slower speeds when you're first learning.

If you want this to be a lifelong enjoyment of riding, I say start out slowly. It's not like your first bike is gonna be the one you ride all your life.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Quote:
Harley makes Sportbikes! (by the way, the one in my Avatar is my Bike)-

bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #16
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronclvr View Post
Harley makes Sportbikes! (by the way, the one in my Avatar is my Bike)-

That's a sexy bike.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #17
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
No. You can find what's called a commuter bike just to get your feet wet so to speak that won't leave you cramped. IMO, it's important to make your inevitable mistakes as a first time rider in traffic on a slower bike. A 750 is too big to start out with. It's not a matter of how tall you are, it's a matter of experience. You're gonna be surprised how many ways you can get into trouble on two wheels. It's better to get into your inevitable trouble at slower speeds when you're first learning.

If you want this to be a lifelong enjoyment of riding, I say start out slowly. It's not like your first bike is gonna be the one you ride all your life.
words of wisdom. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #18
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I'm a BMW guy myself, lately.

I started out on Honda's, a 450 twin to start, then a '77 CB750, then the Big Daddy 1979 Honda CBX.

After the CBX I had the '82 BMW R65S. What a bike. I liked it so much I bought a '75 BMW R90. I love those BMX boxers. Superb handlers, just flat superb.

Name:  1981-bmw-r65-1.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  22.6 KB

Name:  CBX.1979.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  92.7 KB
Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #19
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Harley Davidson makes a real motorcycle for real men not a bike for boys.
I guess I ride a bike for boys.....

As far as what bike you should start with.... I started with an R6 but I had experience riding dirt bikes. You need to be very careful with crotch rockets, they are much faster and much more dangerous than "real motorcycles." If you haven't ridden before I would suggest something like a YZF450 to get your feet wet for about 6 months before jumping up to the faster bikes.

My 2 cents.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #20
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Harley riders actually ride? I see the majority of them with all their 'cute' orange and black logoed gear sitting at a bar. Or broken down somewhere. Most Harley riders also don't seem to want to wear a full face helmet, regardless of what safety stats tell them, because it isn't cool and doesn't fit into the 'scene'. Makes no sense to me.

Hilife. Find the type of riding you like to do...and don't let anybody tell you this is better than that. ALL riding is awesome. Sport. Cruising. Whatever. Even on a Harley.

Start off slow. Master the basics. Then get out of the city!

My vote goes to Dual Sporting as my favorite type of riding. Riding to places that few get to see....then fishing\hiking\camping is heaven to me.

Leaving on Wed for Northern Glacier NP. Weapon of choice this time is the old girl. The bike that started dual sport as a type of riding. It is my backup DS bike now but is like an old shoe. Bike has gotten me back every time from truly off the grid locations in Canada and the PNW.
Attached Images

worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #21
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Don't forget to fill out the organ donor card.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #23
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Don't forget to fill out the organ donor card.
see, that is the stuff that scared me away from bikes for so long.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #24
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
Harley riders actually ride? I see the majority of them with all their 'cute' orange and black logoed gear sitting at a bar. Or broken down somewhere. Most Harley riders also don't seem to want to wear a full face helmet, regardless of what safety stats tell them, because it isn't cool and doesn't fit into the 'scene'. Makes no sense to me.

Hilife. Find the type of riding you like to do...and don't let anybody tell you this is better than that. ALL riding is awesome. Sport. Cruising. Whatever. Even on a Harley.

Start off slow. Master the basics. Then get out of the city!

My vote goes to Dual Sporting as my favorite type of riding. Riding to places that few get to see....then fishing\hiking\camping is heaven to me.

Leaving on Wed for Northern Glacier NP. Weapon of choice this time is the old girl. The bike that started dual sport as a type of riding. It is my backup DS bike now but is like an old shoe. Bike has gotten me back every time from truly off the grid locations in Canada and the PNW.
I thought BMW started the dual stuff.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #25
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
see, that is the stuff that scared me away from bikes for so long.
If you ride safe and smart you'll be ok. Riding smart is a big deal. Stay out of blind spots, if you see somebody turning left into your lane flash your brights and weave a little bit. Cars turning left into your lane and they just never saw you is one of the rider's banes. And wear the best fullface helmet.