The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler

^ Winner

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy
Default DP: Marshall deserves new deal

Krieger: Marshall deserves new deal
By Dave Krieger
Denver Post Columnist
Posted: 06/18/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

It's rare that a big-league sports team shows as much enthusiasm for running off its star players as your all-new Denver Broncos.

First it was the star quarterback. Now, the star wide receiver.

On the bright side, that pretty much takes care of their star players.

Tell you what: Team Kumbaya better have a whole lotta karma going on this year because generally speaking, teams with star players do better than teams without them.

And Brandon Marshall is a star. But don't take my word for it. Listen to Chauncey Billups, who wanted to know what was up with the Broncos when I ran into him this week.

"They can't be letting Brandon Marshall go," he said. "Not after Cutler. No way."

Well, you never know, but Marshall packing up his belongings at Dove Valley and saying goodbye on his website don't seem like good signs.

Here's a news flash for the torch and pitchfork crowd: Like it or not, Marshall is underpaid. Big-time.

It has become fashionable to denigrate his remarkable receiving numbers with one qualification or another, so consider this: In the 63-year history of the Cleveland Browns, one of the teams now reportedly interested in Marshall, they never have had a receiver catch 100 passes in a season.

Not Ozzie Newsome. Not Kellen Winslow Jr. Not Braylon Edwards. Never.

Marshall caught 104 last season, third in the NFL, with a salary cap number of $526,824. Chump change by Not For Long standards. By my count, 33 members of the Broncos carried bigger numbers last season.

Sometime this season, his fourth, Marshall will reach the average career span of an NFL player. Thanks to a deserved Pro Bowl appearance, his pay increases to just more than $2 million this year, still nowhere near the salary neighborhood of the league's top receivers. Buffalo's Lee Evans signed a four-year, $37 million extension last year.

Not only that, with one year remaining on his rookie contract, Marshall's request for a new deal complies with the Broncos' traditional policy. This was former coach Mike Shanahan's argument when Clinton Portis demanded a new deal after the 2003 season. The Broncos, Shanahan said, renegotiate contracts only in their final year, not before. Unlike Portis at the time, Marshall is in his final year.

Of course, this is football, where contracts are not guaranteed, so even Shanahan's alleged policy had more holes than last season's defensive line. The Broncos renegotiate player contracts downward all the time. Here's how it works: "Take a pay cut or you're gone." The club objects only to renegotiating them upward.

So the notion that it is somehow morally objectionable for Marshall to demand market value after two sensational seasons in a notoriously short-lived profession is nothing more than propaganda from an organization looking to use its fan base to paint a player into a corner.

Somehow, Marshall's off-field issues have become a justification to cheat him out of a fair salary on the field. As Billups pointed out, any new Marshall contract is likely to contain lots of off-field behavior provisions. The Broncos or his next team can protect themselves against off-field issues while paying him fairly for on-field performance.

Sillier still is the contention that Marshall is being disloyal to the Broncos by rehabbing from hip surgery in Orlando, Fla., rather than at the Broncos' facility. Was Tom Brady disloyal to the Patriots when he rehabbed from knee surgery in California?

The fact is the Broncos' medical staff missed Marshall's hip injury, which caused him trouble last season. He admitted in November his toughness had been questioned within the organization. Why couldn't he practice if team doctors said he wasn't hurt?

It was only after his Pro Bowl season that Marshall consulted with doctors outside the organization and learned he needed hip surgery. Dr. Marc Philippon, who performed Alex Rodriguez's recent hip surgery, performed Marshall's at the end of March.

Put yourself in his shoes. Would you trust the Broncos to look after your interests at this point? When he said he was hurt, they denied it and impugned his toughness to get him to play. After he played through what turned out to be a significant injury, they refuse to pay him anything close to his market value.

You don't have to like Brandon Marshall. You don't have to admire him. But you have to admit that he is one of the few remaining stars on the Broncos' roster.

He has earned a new contract on the playing field. If the Broncos won't give it to him, he has every right to request a trade. And then, presumably, the new Broncos will be well on their way to what they want: a team without any offensive stars at all.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...670?source=rss
BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Rack that take.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:54 AM   #3
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Once again, everyone thinks they have all the answers when they really know nothing. It's already been stated that he was offered a new contract and he turned it down. Now maybe the contract was to low, I don't know. One thing I do know is no one really know the full complete reason why he wants to leave and until he or the team says it no one will know.
HILife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler

^ Winner

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilife View Post
Once again, everyone thinks they have all the answers when they really know nothing. It's already been stated that he was offered a new contract and he turned it down. Now maybe the contract was to low, I don't know. One thing I do know is no one really know the full complete reason why he wants to leave and until he or the team says it no one will know.
Is that official or just speculation? I don't think they actually did. His agent wasn't negotiating with them. Marshall was rehabbing. Then he showed up suddenly and after like 1-2 hours he left again.
BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:34 AM   #5
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
I didn't know that they HAD offered him a new contract?

Even though I'm sure he wants one, I've never even heard it officially reported that he'd asked for a new contract? Only that he'd asked to be traded?

Nevertheless, I'm in the camp that believes he does deserve a new contract, a fairly big money contract! One that is also full of protection clauses and escalators. One that protects the Broncos as well as giving Brandon the chance at the pay day his on the field performance earns him.

Letting him walk at this point would be a disaster.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:42 AM   #6
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTO View Post
Is that official or just speculation? I don't think they actually did. His agent wasn't negotiating with them. Marshall was rehabbing. Then he showed up suddenly and after like 1-2 hours he left again.
It was in one of earlier threads. Something about Adam Sheffler reporting that Bowlen offered a contract, but got turned down. The OP said it was on KOA radio.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:45 AM   #7
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
I didn't know that they HAD offered him a new contract?

Even though I'm sure he wants one, I've never even heard it officially reported that he'd asked for a new contract? Only that he'd asked to be traded?

Nevertheless, I'm in the camp that believes he does deserve a new contract, a fairly big money contract! One that is also full of protection clauses and escalators. One that protects the Broncos as well as giving Brandon the chance at the pay day his on the field performance earns him.

Letting him walk at this point would be a disaster.
It was in a earlier thread about Marshall. The OP said Adam Sheffler on KOA radio said he was offered one by Bowlen and turned it down.

I agree with you. He does deserve a new contract, but one that protects the team if he does something stupid again.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:04 AM   #8
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Boom.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:05 AM   #9
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
It was in a earlier thread about Marshall. The OP said Adam Sheffler on KOA radio said he was offered one by Bowlen and turned it down.

I agree with you. He does deserve a new contract, but one that protects the team if he does something stupid again.
No, he was NOT offered a new contract. It has been reported that Bowlen told him to play this year on his current contract. It's stupid!
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:09 AM   #10
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Watch out in the near future. I would not be surprised if Bowlen pays Marshall within a week.

You just can't destroy an offense in 1 offseason and think you can come out with a better record then the previous year.

Brandon Marshall does need to get paid.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:58 AM   #11
bronco_boi_5280
Solid Starter

The Birdman Flies

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Andersen

Pay the man!
bronco_boi_5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #12
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Sure we can all agree that he should be paid, but is it really worth the risk of paying someone that is one incident away from an eight game suspension?

That doesn't even include the fact that he just had hip surgery and for al we know he is not 100% yet.

Let's not forget about his hand and the man dropped passes.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:12 AM   #13
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman444 View Post
Sure we can all agree that he should be paid, but is it really worth the risk of paying someone that is one incident away from an eight game suspension?

That doesn't even include the fact that he just had hip surgery and for al we know he is not 100% yet.

Let's not forget about his hand and the man dropped passes.
The man also caught 104 receptions with a bad hand? I know he said it was not 100%, but seriously? You act like he caught 80 balls and was thrown at 200 times.

Brandon Marshall is one of the best young receivers in the game and we're going to trade him away? He can catch, run, and block.

He should have been paid when he asked.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:13 AM   #14
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
McDaniels
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #15
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTribbey View Post
The man also caught 104 receptions with a bad hand? I know he said it was not 100%, but seriously? You act like he caught 80 balls and was thrown at 200 times.

Brandon Marshall is one of the best young receivers in the game and we're going to trade him away? He can catch, run, and block.

He should have been paid when he asked.
AMEN Brotha tell it to the crowd
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:15 AM   #16
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

I don't think that Marshall is wrong to ask for a new contract, or to hold out. Its personal contract business and that is down to the individual and the organisation to sort out whever way they can.

Thing is, the only thing that's been said publicly is that Marshall wants a trade. The rest is just speculation.

You see for me, if it really is all about money, then i don't have a problem with it. Players have a right to hold out, its the only leverage they have in such a situatuon. I want Brandon playing for us, but I respect the fact that he has a right to seek maximum market return on his labour.

The only slight shadow of doubt, is the question of whether or not there is more than just the contract issue that is behind his request for a trade. Has he fallen out with the new regime as Cutler did? If so, is he following Cutler's example? Personally I think that this more of a concern than the contract issue.

if it is just the contract issue, then I think we'll play hardball and he'll be back with the team eventually. If not this could turn ugly....
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #17
Paladin
Ring of Famer

This is why the Broncos, like the Pats, have restricted the press/media access to the team and FO. Hysterical handwringers abound. Things get overblown in the "opinion" pieces that too many of the gullible hero-worshippers take as gospel truths. The uninformed masses get bent out of shape over details that may or may not be accuratly "reported".

But, wth. Carry on as I know the masses will......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:18 AM   #18
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Pay dees man hees money.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #19
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Man I'm torn on this one. BMarsh is fun to watch. Apa would agree with this all day long, in Camp/practice/games/whatever field he's on... he's a 100%er. Dude flat out brings it and he does what he needs to do to win games. Montrose and I were talking the other day. I remember the home '07 Raiders game vividly. Marshall put us on his shoulders and willed us to the win. Montrose's memory was the '07 game vs the Jags, where Marshall was juking, spinning, stiff arming and throwing would be tacklers off of him. He was a beast and wouldn't go down. So that got us talking about last year and his play seemingly dropped off. Remember the 18 catches in week two vs SD? How many yards after the catch did he have in that game? Last year was not the typical BMarsh and he still had great numbers. The hip also played a huge role. He was noticeably bothered by the injury and wasn't the same player. I remember thinking during the Dolphins game that he looked so slow that maybe he shouldn't be playing.

Then there is the off field stuff. That makes this hard. If I am the Broncos I acquiesce to the injury stuff. Brandon played injured last year and it wasn't the arm that slowed him down, it was a hip injury suffered playing football. So I would be willing to take on the injury risk b/c I have a player that has taken that risk for me. As for the off field stuff, the Broncos have the right and Brandon should be okay with clauses that protect the buyers if he is suspended for off field infractions. I think the best way to do this is a contract similar to TOs. Each year is worth $3 to $5m and each year he gets a roster bonus of $2m. Then some reachable incentives for yards, TDs, and other typical receiver stats. So, if he is playing the full season, catching 80-100 balls for 1200+ yards, scoring 10TDs, and going to the Pro-bowl he deserves Larry Fitzgerald type $$$. I think the incentives should allow him to make $9-10m a year... if he's playing like a top 5 receiver he deserves the money. If he's not, well then he'll just have to make due with his $5 or 6m per year.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #20
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

and for those who will say, "but.. we have Eddie Royal!"

How do you think Eddie Royal will fair with double coverage? We NEED a player like Brandon Marshall to allow a player like Eddie Royal to become even better.

Brandon and Eddie both bring a lot to the table. Brandon takes another defender, leaving one of the other receivers open.

We already lost a big part of our offensive production in Jay Cutler, now they may not pay Brandon Marshall?

This front office is a ****ing joke.

This will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Enjoy getting so frustrated with the Broncos that you rather do lawn work on Sunday afternoon.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:25 AM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Broncos just screwed on Marshall because of how Marshall has acted and the things he has done.

He isn't honest all the time IMO and has a problem with beating women. The whole slipped on a Mcdonalds bag seemed like a huge lie and I think that also worries them.

The fact he is coming off surgery is also a huge concern.

For Broncos they have his rights still for a yr, then he will only be unrestricted FA next yr without a new CBA. Broncos holding some cards and I think they should play those.

But if brandon can get a team to give a first and a 3rd then you do it.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:26 AM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Also though it's not my money so I wouldn't care if they gave him a huge deal. There is a good chance Marshall gets healthy and goes on to have 5-6 great more yrs.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:29 AM   #23
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

[QUOTE=cutthemdown;2449271]Also though it's not my money so I wouldn't care if they gave him a huge deal. There is a good chance Marshall gets healthy and goes on to have 5-6 great more yrs.[/QUOTE]

too bad it'll be in another uniform.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

[QUOTE=kamakazi_kal;2449272]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Also though it's not my money so I wouldn't care if they gave him a huge deal. There is a good chance Marshall gets healthy and goes on to have 5-6 great more yrs.[/QUOTE]

too bad it'll be in another uniform.
Well then there will be a good chance he get's suspended, hurt again, and Broncos picks they get play great.

Which is why I am done worrying about it. Players come and go so fast who knows who will be this yrs eddie royal.

Moreno may be a stud and make you forget all about Marshall and Cutler for a bit.

I like Marshall but he is a risky player to give a big huge contract to before you have to. Broncos holding all the cards.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #25
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Not only that, with one year remaining on his rookie contract, Marshall's request for a new deal complies with the Broncos' traditional policy. This was former coach Mike Shanahan's argument when Clinton Portis demanded a new deal after the 2003 season. The Broncos, Shanahan said, renegotiate contracts only in their final year, not before. Unlike Portis at the time, Marshall is in his final year.
Different leadership now, so this argument doesn't really hold water. However, the most recent example of of a player getting an extension in his final year would be D.J. Williams, who got his extension on September 7th after attending the offseason program. If Marshall showed up, was patient, and showed he was a happy camper, it's likely that he would see a new contract (also, see Casey Wiegmann).

Quote:
Of course, this is football, where contracts are not guaranteed, so even Shanahan's alleged policy had more holes than last season's defensive line. The Broncos renegotiate player contracts downward all the time. Here's how it works: "Take a pay cut or you're gone." The club objects only to renegotiating them upward.
This is simply false. The only guy I can remember taking a pay cut to remain with the Broncos was John Lynch last year, and he ended up being gone anyway. Most of the renegotiations, from what I remember, were for cap reasons, moving guaranteed money around, and whatnot.

I'm not saying that Marshall doesn't deserve a new contract. In fact, I would probably prefer it at this point, as long as it is protected. Perhaps they have discussed the proposition of a contract with behavioral clauses in it, and that is what pissed Marshall off. Perhaps he wants more years than the Broncos want to give. Or, perhaps the hip is in worse shape than we know. I just know something seems fishy to me in this whole deal, and I don't think we're getting the whole story.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote