The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Cutler on Marshall

Cutler On Marshall: “He’s A Great Player”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 17, 2009, 7:39 p.m. EDT

Peppered with multiple questions about wide receivers Brandon Marshall and Plaxico Burress, Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler stuck with the company line about the team’s need for an upgrade at wide receiver.

Cutler claimed that wide receiver Devin Hester is a true No. 1 wide receiver.

And he didn’t delve much into rumors surrounding the Bears’ potential interest in Marshall, who has asked to be traded, and Burress, a free agent with a pending felony gun case, according to David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune.

“We have everything we need out there,” Cutler said. “We’re going to be more than fine out there. I’m 100 percent comfortable. I think we have more than enough to compete.”

The Bears have been repeatedly linked to Marshall, whom Cutler said he hasn’t spoken with recently after their successful collaboration in Denver prior to Cutler being traded.

“He’s a great player, I played with him for three years and put up some big numbers with him,” Cutler said. “Wherever he ends up, I’m sure he’s going to be successful. Whether or not it’s here, it’s up to the guys upstairs. As of right now, I’m 100 percent happy with what we have.”

Cutler wasn’t surprised about Marshall going public with his unhappiness, recently skipping a mandatory minicamp and asking Broncos owner Pat Bowlen for a trade.

“I knew he wasn’t going to be happy if he didn’t get a new contract,” Cutler said. “I think that’s what the basis of his whole issue with him is getting a new contract. If you look at it from his perspective, I can see where he’s coming from.”

Cutler said that he hasn’t recently sent text messages to Burress after communicating with him earlier this offseason.

Cutler didn’t seem to be counting on Burress coming to Chicago, which has been rumored as a potential destination for the former New York Giants star along with the New York Jets and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Bears coach Lovie Smith made it clear that nothing is imminent as far as possibly acquiring Burress.

“Plaxico Burress is a good football player, we all know that,” Smith said. “We keep all of our options open, but I feel good about the team we have right now and I feel good about our receivers we have right now.

“The door is never closed on anyone available. We’ve said that every time. It’s not like we’re aggressively going after him but we evaluate everyone we think can make our team better.”

So, don’t rule out the Bears as a potential interested party in both wide receivers.

Despite his legal problems, Burress would be simpler to acquire from the standpoint that he’s a free agent.

The Bears don’t have a lot of ammunition left over for a trade for Marshall following the Cutler acquisition.

Both players would be expensive, but Marshall is expected to have an even higher price tag.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...-great-player/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Yeah, right. Like the Broncos would trade Marshall to Denver. They'd have to get raped in a deal for Denver to even consider it. How about 2 #1s, a 3rd, Brian Urlacher and Tommie Harris for Marshall? No? Then **** off.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
Popps
It's so easy

“I knew he wasn’t going to be happy if he didn’t get a new contract,” Cutler said. “I think that’s what the basis of his whole issue with him is getting a new contract. If you look at it from his perspective, I can see where he’s coming from.”

Yep, and if you look at it from the team's perspective, any rational human being can see where they're coming from.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Cutler claimed that wide receiver Devin Hester is a true No. 1 wide receiver.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Who is this cutlet guy?
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
TheDave
Sauced...

Heard something on the FAN today... that according to "sources" Cutler is absolutely miserable in chicagos offense.

Kinda warmed my heart to hear that.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Heard something on the FAN today... that according to "sources" Cutler is absolutely miserable in chicagos offense.

Kinda warmed my heart to hear that.
really? thats awesome. i hope he forces his way out of chicago in 2 years, abslutely kill his reputation and make broncos look like geniuses in retrospect.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
really? thats awesome. i hope he forces his way out of chicago in 2 years, abslutely kill his reputation and make broncos look like geniuses in retrospect.
Though I was and still am 100% against trading Cutler, I have a funny suspicion this Chicago thing is going to end badly for him. His offensive line, recievers and coaching talent are a fraction of what he is used too.

Remember how he used to go off on our recievers when they dropped a pass... He could end up blowing a gasket before the bye-week.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Though I was and still am 100% against trading Cutler, I have a funny suspicion this Chicago thing is going to end badly for him. His offensive line, recievers and coaching talent are a fraction of what he is used too.

Remember how he used to go off on our recievers when they dropped a pass... He could end up blowing a gasket before the bye-week.
I think fans will turn on him faster then fans did here. Chicago is a bigger market faster pace and more pressure on him to succeed see how he deals with that pressure. I think he'll find out Denver was a breeze vs the expectations Bears fans will have for him no more excuses.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I think fans will turn on him faster then fans did here. Chicago is a bigger market faster pace and more pressure on him to succeed see how he deals with that pressure. I think he'll find out Denver was a breeze vs the expectations Bears fans will have for him no more excuses.
not is he only being looked at as their savior, they gave up a lot to get him.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
extralife
Ring of Famer

There is NOT more pressure for him to succeed in Chicago. That's bunk. By simply showing up he's the best thing they've fielded at that position in 50 years. Here, every mistake is something John Elway wouldn't have done.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #12
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Here, every mistake is something John Elway wouldn't have done.

Can't argue against that.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Yeah, I don't buy into that a player has more pressure to succeed on a different team. This is the NFL. If you don't produce, you will be gone. Even on crappy teams. And what the hell do you mean Chicago fans expect more? F THAT crap. I expect a superbowl every year and I don't root for the Bears.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Let it go man, he's gone.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

Pears, Foster, Myers, Kuper as a rookie, and naturally Nalen in his twilight, Glen Martinez, rarely un-injured in Cut's tenure Javon Walker...

Nope, sorry, don't buy it.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:28 AM   #16
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

I thought this said "Culter going to Marshall"....D@#n!!! I thought I figured out where I was going to go to grad school
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:34 AM   #17
Dale Snorts Blow
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
There is NOT more pressure for him to succeed in Chicago. That's bunk. By simply showing up he's the best thing they've fielded at that position in 50 years. Here, every mistake is something John Elway wouldn't have done.
Well said. I agree with that completely.
Dale Snorts Blow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:38 AM   #18
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulon Velvet Jones View Post
Yeah, right. Like the Broncos would trade Marshall to Denver. They'd have to get raped in a deal for Denver to even consider it.
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:41 AM   #19
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

I think the Bears can build a team around him faster then we can build one around Orton. Right now the Bears can make a good play at a WR that is 31 years old that has over 500 catches 7800 yards and 55 career tds. The best we can do is Kyle Orton. Laugh all you want but at the end of the day **** is ****ed up in Bronco land and the Bears are out of the news.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #20
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Pears, Foster, Myers, Kuper as a rookie, and naturally Nalen in his twilight, Glen Martinez, rarely un-injured in Cut's tenure Javon Walker...

Nope, sorry, don't buy it.
Those are very good points ... that '07 team was only an average supporting cast. Remember Clady, Harris and Royal were brand new last year ... and we vaulted to what, the 2nd most yards in the league?

I can see TheDave's point, but I seriously doubt Jay melts down. Anybody would learn/mature some from what happened here, and Jay knows all eyes will be focused on his maturity or lack thereof. My guess is he'll live long and prosper in Chicago.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:17 AM   #21
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Those are very good points ... that '07 team was only an average supporting cast. Remember Clady, Harris and Royal were brand new last year ... and we vaulted to what, the 2nd most yards in the league?

I can see TheDave's point, but I seriously doubt Jay melts down. Anybody would learn/mature some from what happened here, and Jay knows all eyes will be focused on his maturity or lack thereof. My guess is he'll live long and prosper in Chicago.
I agree. I actually think he'll be a more mature player and person there than he would have developed into had he have stayed here. Simply because of what he must have learnt this offseason, and because of the attention he no doubt knows he is going to get on and off the field. Granted, he would have got attention here as well, I just think that in his mind, he's going to be more aware of it now.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:25 AM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

with Cutler calling Hester a true number 1 receiver, i am convinced he has no ****ing clue what he is talking about and i am glad his stupidity is gone.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:30 AM   #23
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
I agree with your point. I wasn't making it a Jay vs John thing though.

Later on I'll explain my view.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:34 AM   #24
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

He might mature in time but, overnight I have my doubts he's too aloof.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:34 AM   #25
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
with Cutler calling Hester a true number 1 receiver, i am convinced he has no ****ing clue what he is talking about and i am glad his stupidity is gone.
Yeah I think he should have came right and said he isn't worthy to look that the guy that looked at the guy that guy that heard about the guy that knew the guy that once made him pizza.

**** a guy that is a team player right?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote