The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default OT: ADHD or similar

Has anyone been diagnosed with this? Did you go through a psych? If so, how have things changed for you since being diagnosed??

I actually think I've had this for a very long time. I also kind of think it's over diagnosed but want to hear some thoughts. I have one friend that takes Adderall for it everyday. I'm not sure I'd want to go that route, I've had it before and it definitely helps me increase my focus to tasks at hand instead of drifting all over the place.

Anyway, if you have some experience in this arena, please share!
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

I was diagnosed with ADHD back in high school. I was on 75 mg of Adderal XR a day. I don't recommend going on that stuff... If you really have ADHD it just makes you a zombie.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
I was diagnosed with ADHD back in high school. I was on 75 mg of Adderal XR a day. I don't recommend going on that stuff... If you really have ADHD it just makes you a zombie.
What do you mean by a zombie? Also, do you think you still have it or have you gotten past it?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

its a made up disorder. apparently having energy is a bad thing and requires medication.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
its a made up disorder. apparently having energy is a bad thing and requires medication.
And when I opened this I actually thought you were going to contribute something.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
bronco_boi_5280
Solid Starter

The Birdman Flies

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Andersen

Your best bet is to get the prescription and then sell the drugs on the open market. Pretty easy way to make some extra money.
bronco_boi_5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post
And when I opened this I actually thought you were going to contribute something.
youre telling me kids having too much energy is a bad thing? heres an idea: dont let them sit inside and play video games all day so they get built up energy, let them/make them go outside and do **** so they dont turn into fat asses.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
My good friend said same thing. Decided he liked being a little scatter brained and flipped out, to being a zombie and feeling not himself all the time.

Sometimes I think people just gotta learn to deal with there personalities. We call it ADHD like its a disease so we can medicate it. Really it's how your brain works and changing it may not be better.

I have heard though if you don't have it, and take it, you can concentrate better.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco_boi_5280 View Post
Your best bet is to get the prescription and then sell the drugs on the open market. Pretty easy way to make some extra money.
If you don't mind being a drug dealer.

You can also kidnap people, remove organs, sell them to rich people.......but kinda of makes you a drag.

By the way were is this underground open market........I need my LORTAB DAMMIT!!!!
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
What do you mean by a zombie? Also, do you think you still have it or have you gotten past it?
What it does to me is makes it very hard for me to wake up and get going. Sure I guess things slow down inside my head but after years of getting used to it I can't stand to have things "normal". I took a number of things for a long time then got off of them. When my life started to get out of control I thought maybe I needed to be on them again. I went into see the Dr and he thought I was Bipolar. Well after dealling with those meds I dropped them and went back to dealing with problems differently and watching the people I was around.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Abqbronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derick Domino

Quote:
youre telling me kids having too much energy is a bad thing? heres an idea: dont let them sit inside and play video games all day so they get built up energy, let them/make them go outside and do **** so they dont turn into fat asses.
There is a kid that lives near us that has been diagnosed with ADHD. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but this is a grossly uninformed opinion. There is something wrong with our neighbor and he and his parents struggle everyday with it.

As for the medication, it is a constant battle to get him the right dose and his parents are constantly adjusting it with the Doctors help. There have been times he looks like a zombie and other times he can't stop doing the same thing over and over. I really feel for him and his parents but they seem to be getting a handle on it most of the time.

Not much help I suppose.
Abqbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

For me growing up it wasn't about enegry. The drugs never took that away from me it just made me focus on school work. As I got older my energy level did get affected by the drugs.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Read my OP and tell me where I said anything about kids.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Holy **** , we agree , well almost ..........Mroo7 I was 50 pounds when I was a year old ( Grandpa wanted to name me tank ) well as i got older I was still big , so the doc put me on Ritilan , then the diagnosed me ADHD , they wanted to put me on more medicine , mom and Dad said no , and made me work , gave me alot of chores ( I was the only 11 year old bucking 90 pound bails in all of Brighton Colo , but it worked , find something constructive to do , lifting weights , pole dancing , whatever , just make sure you enjoy it , if that doesnt work , then go on the meds ...........but as a last resort .......
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
It's kind of hard to explain... I always had to be doing something when I was on Adderall. I didn't like having conversations with people... it just felt like I had to get stuff done. Like during lunch I couldn't eat and I didn't want to talk to people so I would be in the Library working on stuff that didn't have to be done for weeks. I got straight A's on the stuff though.

When I wasn't on it I never could get anything done and I was always talking to people. I was a completely different person when I was on the stuff.

I haven't taken Adderall for about 6 years, but I don't think I have outgrown ADHD. I still have trouble focusing on stuff that doesn't interest me, I get distracted pretty easily and just drift off and have to get myself back on track.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #16
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
I got expelled from 3 schools in high school because of that made up disorder.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #17
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I was diagnosed with it as a young kid.

I took Ritalin for 9 years and went to many therapy sessions and other group sessions.

But it sure has carried into adulthood, taking Paxil really helps, but is it a psychological thing or is it really working?

Some time people have a tendency of thinking just because I'm taking a pill it must be working.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #18
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

no Substitute for hard work ......... I wonder how many hard workers back in the day had ADHD ...... the key is find something you love to do and do it all you can ........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #19
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Adderall will give you depression for years. It's basically speed. That's another cases of a product that wasn't properly tested before it was allowed on the market in the US. Drugs of its nature are banned in many places worldwide.

I was diagnosed with ADD of the non-hyperactive variant.

Nothing has helped me more than taking fish oils 3 times daily. I recommend Omega Brite http://www.omegabrite.com/ . After two weeks (i've been taking it seven months) it honestly changed my life as far as focus is concerned and I feel fricking healthy and amazing. I don't have any ties to these guys... their stuff is just the most concentrated on the market (without exceeding your daily limit).

I'm not a vitamin guy but honestly if you've got ADD forget all the weird brain changing drugs that are marketed to you and try fish oils.

Edit: To respond to some of the other posts - ADD exists, it's just very manageable. That said, I don't have ADHD... and my cousin has struggled mightily with that. I recommend extremely hard workouts at the gym for one... makes you sleep better and will probably kick out some of that hyperactivity.

Last edited by Chris; 06-17-2009 at 05:20 PM..
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #20
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
It's kind of hard to explain... I always had to be doing something when I was on Adderall. I didn't like having conversations with people... it just felt like I had to get stuff done. Like during lunch I couldn't eat and I didn't want to talk to people so I would be in the Library working on stuff that didn't have to be done for weeks. I got straight A's on the stuff though.

When I wasn't on it I never could get anything done and I was always talking to people. I was a completely different person when I was on the stuff.

I haven't taken Adderall for about 6 years, but I don't think I have outgrown ADHD. I still have trouble focusing on stuff that doesn't interest me, I get distracted pretty easily and just drift off and have to get myself back on track.
I cant remember what I was on that made me not even care if I talked to my friends. Thats not a good side effect lol.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #21
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

I was diagnosed with it in my 3rd year of University, didn't have it as a kid, but they think I got it from a series of concussions in Grade 12, because my grades began a steady decline after that, haha. It was just like I completely lost the ability to concentrate, it was like instead of plunging into something, I just kept skipping across the surface. Very frustrating in engineering school, I had no idea what was wrong. They eventually put me on Ritalin and it was a big help. I don't take it so much any more because I don't like to think I'm dependent on something, and I get dizzy spells when I'm coming off it. Definitely worth taking if your ADD is affecting your job or life though.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #22
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I cant remember what I was on that made me not even care if I talked to my friends. Thats not a good side effect lol.
That stuff sucks. I was getting straight A's and was in the best shape of my life but I was freaking miserable when I was taking it.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #23
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
Holy **** , we agree , well almost ..........Mroo7 I was 50 pounds when I was a year old ( Grandpa wanted to name me tank ) well as i got older I was still big , so the doc put me on Ritilan , then the diagnosed me ADHD , they wanted to put me on more medicine , mom and Dad said no , and made me work , gave me alot of chores ( I was the only 11 year old bucking 90 pound bails in all of Brighton Colo , but it worked , find something constructive to do , lifting weights , pole dancing , whatever , just make sure you enjoy it , if that doesnt work , then go on the meds ...........but as a last resort .......
I'm sure there have been many mis-diagnosed cases of it. My issue is not finding something constructive to do, I have no problem doing that when I'm not at work (sports, lifting, being social etc).

My problem stems from focus on anything that doesn't completely capture my interest and I tend to drift or shift focus to other things. While it hasn't caused a problem in my career at this point (thanks genes), it has created a bit of internal chaos where I'm disorganized, lose things, struggle to pay attention to anything that doesn't completely capture my interest, drift in thought, force myself to work under pressure, etc.

Anyone can go on Google and attempt to diagnose themselves, but recently I started checking various symtops of ADHD and many of them match my characteristics and I've found specific ways to cope with some of my flaws.

I'm not trying to say I definitely have it, I'm just trying to see if other people have been properly diagnosed and have somehow overcome some of these traits that I view as obstacles. It sucks to be in an environment where you can be proactive but have a lack of interest for whatever reason.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #24
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

This thread lacks focus.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #25
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Adderall will give you depression for years. It's basically speed. That's another cases of a product that wasn't properly tested before it was allowed on the market in the US. Drugs of its nature are banned in many places worldwide.

I was diagnosed with ADD of the non-hyperactive variant.

Nothing has helped me more than taking fish oils 3 times daily. I recommend Omega Brite http://www.omegabrite.com/ . After two weeks (i've been taking it seven months) it honestly changed my life as far as focus is concerned and I feel fricking healthy and amazing. I don't have any ties to these guys... their stuff is just the most concentrated on the market (without exceeding your daily limit).

I'm not a vitamin guy but honestly if you've got ADD forget all the weird brain changing drugs that are marketed to you and try fish oils.

Edit: To respond to some of the other posts - ADD exists, it's just very manageable. That said, I don't have ADHD... and my cousin has struggled mightily with that. I recommend extremely hard workouts at the gym for one... makes you sleep better and will probably kick out some of that hyperactivity.
So taking the fish oils actually helped you concentrate more? Was this specifically on subjects and items that you found you didn't have that much interest in or is this overall??