The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme
Default Kyle Orton Pre Injury 2008 - WARNING: Broncofan7 said END THREAD

That big, fat Bears number everybody in town is repeating right now is 48.

It shouldn’t be.

The number is 28.

That’s how many points Kyle Orton and your Chicago Bears are now averaging per game.

Nearly halfway into this season, the quarterback has transformed a notoriously no-O (or low-O) NFL franchise into a point-making machine.

So don’t go quoting the gospel of Muhsin Muhammad, the ex-Bear who called Chicago a place “where receivers go to die.”

Solicit the opinions of Orton’s current receivers instead.

“What can you say about Kyle?” tight end Greg Olsen asked after Sunday’s 48-41 victory over the Vikings. “He is turning into an elite passer in this league.”

Marty Ocho Seis—I mean Booker—pulled off a Halloween-orange No. 86 jersey and spoke glowingly about a long touchdown pass Orton threw him.

And about other plays by the Bears’ field general in general.

“I’m quite sure none of you guys, or any guys on the other side, thought Kyle would come in and play the way he’s played,” Booker said.

“He’s been unbelievable. Each week he’s throwing the ball all over the place. … Once you’ve got that confidence, you start to soar. He’s playing on a high, high level right now.”

The rest of the story here: http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2...s-chicagooct20

Last edited by Popcorn Sutton; 06-17-2009 at 12:11 PM..
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Cue the douches that think an NFL-caliber QB can't throw more than 15 yards in 5...4...3...2...
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

please send this thread to the Butt...

what the hell were you thinking posting something positive....
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
please send this thread to the Butt...

what the hell were you thinking posting something positive....
Old 06-17-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

yeah, but he's no jay cutler...

he's not into entitlement, he won't slag his teammates in the press, and you bet your arse he'll return a call from coach and/or owner. nope, no jay cutler.

eta: and i'm pretty sure he won't grab his crotch while staring directly at the opposing team's sideline.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Good article, thanks for the post. Nice to see some positive press on Orton. One line in the article caught my attention,

Quote:
Chicago is the place where quarterbacks go to die, though —
I wonder if that will hold true for Cutler. I think he is going to have a good career, but Chicago does seem to have a bit of a curse...
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Considering all of the negative threads about the Marshall situation, I really enjoyed the article. Nice find!

Hopefully Orton develops the same level of confidence by the end of training camp/pre-season.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

This thread will be buried in a matter of hours because it's not negative. We wonder why the media/news is almost always focused on negatives?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
This thread will be buried in a matter of hours because it's not negative. We wonder why the media/news is almost always focused on negatives?
Well no offense to this article, or the POV on Orton, but there is a lot more negative press out there right now. This article is old, all the braking stories have to do with the FO which is a bit of a mess right now...
Old 06-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInSkinland View Post
Well no offense to this article, or the POV on Orton, but there is a lot more negative press out there right now. This article is old, all the braking stories have to do with the FO which is a bit of a mess right now...
Is the Front Office a mess or would Brandon Marshall have held out regardless? I say the latter. In my opinion if the front office stands behind the "See you in camp" stance then I think they are doing just fine. People here are acting as if this if the first time a wide receiver has held out wanting $$.

This article is old news but it's certainly new for Broncos fans as it gives us a look at what we may be seeing on the field next season.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #12
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
yeah, but he's no jay cutler...

he's not into entitlement, he won't slag his teammates in the press, and you bet your arse he'll return a call from coach and/or owner. nope, no jay cutler.

eta: and i'm pretty sure he won't grab his crotch while staring directly at the opposing team's sideline.
Maybe he won't be owned by Rivers either.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #13
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Of course the recievers are gonna say nice things about their QB, whomever he is ... especially in the afterglow of victory.

The point is, Lovie was all too eager to a) bench him, and b) trade him away.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Of course the recievers are gonna say nice things about their QB, whomever he is ... especially in the afterglow of victory.

Lovie also staunchly defended Grossman for the better part of 2 seasons, so I am not sure that much credence should be taken in his opinion.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #15
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:
Is the Front Office a mess or would Brandon Marshall have held out regardless? I say the latter. In my opinion if the front office stands behind the "See you in camp" stance then I think they are doing just fine. People here are acting as if this if the first time a wide receiver has held out wanting $$.

This article is old news but it's certainly new for Broncos fans as it gives us a look at what we may be seeing on the field next season.
2nd part first, it certainly does, I hope that Orton continues to improve, and with McDaniels as HC I have quite a bit of faith that he will, that is one of McDaniels strong points. Thanks again for the article.

Marshall probably would have held out regardless, if Shanahan hadn't simply streamlined an improved contract before the holdout ever happened. That doesn't change the fact that from most outside points of view our FO has during a single off season

1. Fired a 2x SB winning HC

2. Traded for whatever reasona pro-bowl 25 year old QB

3. Fired offensive drafting gurus, and the GM, replacing the GM position with what many view as a figure head.

4. Drafted heavily on Offense and Defensive backfield when the d-line was the position need.

5. Traded away a first round pick that many think will be a very high pick to get a 2nd round CB in a weak draft class.

6. Are now embroiled in a holdout and trade situation with the biggest name recognition Ofensive player remaining on the roster.

To say the front office isn't in the spotlight is ridiculous, to say they aren't a mess disagrees with roughly %80 of the population according to the ESPN graph posted recently. The press is in the business of selling stories, and right now the story that sells is the Denver collapse. I really don't want to thread jack this positive article. I appreciate your posting it again. You asked why the press focuses on the negative, and I was giving you what I hoped would be an answer to the question.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #16
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

All to eager to bench him? Last year? He came back and played injured...i wouldnt say thats he was all too eager to bench him. If youre talking about after his rookie year, thats not all that fair. He was thrown to the wolves without even many reps in the preseason. And, believe it or not, PLAYERS IMPROVE!
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
2nd part first, it certainly does, I hope that Orton continues to improve, and with McDaniels as HC I have quite a bit of faitht hat he will, that is one of McDaniels strong points. Thanks again for the article.

Marshall probably would have held out regardless, if Shanahan hadn't simply streamlined an improved contract before the holdout ever happened. That doesn't change the fact that from most outside points of view our FO has during a single off season

3. Fired offensive drafting gurus, and the GM, replacing the GM position with what many view as a figure head.

4. Drafted heavily on Offense and Defensive backfield when the d-line was the position need.

5. Traded away a first round pick that many think will be a very high pick to get a 2nd round CB in a weak draft class.

6. Are now embroiled in a holdout and trade situation with the biggest name recognition Ofensive player remaining on the roster.

To say the front office isn't in the spotlight is ridiculous, to say they aren't a mess disagrees with roughly %80 of the population according to the ESPN graph posted recently. The press is in the business of selling stories, and right now the story that sells is the Denver collapse. I really don't want to thread jack this positive article. I appreciate your posting it again. You asked why the press focuses on the negative, and I was giving you what I hoped would be an answer to the question.

And this has to do with how orton played the first half of the season because...
Old 06-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #18
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
And this has to do with how orton played the first half of the season because...
It has absolutely nothing to do with it. I have already thanked the original poster twice for posting this, pointed out my thoughts on the Orton situation which are positive, indicated that I think McDaniels will do well with the Orton situation, and I even Repped the original poster for the article when I posted my first response. The original poster asked WHY the press was so negative here...

Quote:
And I responded in attempt to KEEP this from becoming a negative article with a quick blow off post here...

Quote:
Additionally I touched on Cutler FAILING in Chicago. What exactly do you want? You buy the plane ticket and I will go to Denver and thank Orton personally for a good season last year, wish him success this coming year, and tell Josh that I have faith in him to help put our new QB in the best position to win possible given the circumstances.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #19
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
2nd part first, it certainly does, I hope that Orton continues to improve, and with McDaniels as HC I have quite a bit of faith that he will, that is one of McDaniels strong points. Thanks again for the article.

I agree that the media focuses on the negative. It also appears the Orangemane does as well, hence the reason I said this thread would get buried due to its positive nature. All one has to do is take a look at the front page to see what we "Orangemane" focus on.

All your points can be argued and I think they all stem from a change in regime. There were many who thought it was a good time for change. When a new regime comes in, things like changes in the scouting department, coaching staff, etc. will happen so it's all interrelated. I think a lot of people were hoping a new staff would come in and keep everything the same but that's not the norm. It's human nature to want to surround yourself with the pieces and parts you know and are comfortable with. McDaniels has learned a brand of coaching and management and he is sticking to what he knows. I'd be concerned if he just tossed it all out the window to be popular with the media and the fans.

As far as the holdout is concerned, it has nothing to do with the front office... it's on Marshall. You paint a far worse picture than I do. Trading away a first rounder next year for pick 37 this year is NOT a front office in turmoil. You don't agree with the pick but they targeted a player and got him. It's common knowledge that a future pick is equal to a round lower in the current year.

Finally, I did not say the front office is "not in the spotlight." I said that I believe the media/fan perception is not exactly on par with reality. If they stick to their guns and refuse to trade Marshall then I feel like they are doing what they should be doing. Marshall has no leverage in this situation.

Last edited by Popcorn Sutton; 06-17-2009 at 09:09 AM..
Old 06-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #20
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Struggled to beat out "wrecks" grossman...'nuff said.........
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #21
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
I dunno .... the more I read about Orton, the more I think Lovie had some kind of odd personal beef/dislike of the kid. Orton definitely performed for him, with victories if not stats, and he was benched for his trouble.

I think this was a Lovie thing, not a Kyle thing.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Cutler couldnt beat out Plummer his rookie season? Your logic is bull****. Grossman was a first round pick and was given every opportunity to prove his worth. If you dont think PR plays a part in this, youre crazy
Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #23
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Cutler couldnt beat out Plummer his rookie season? Your logic is bull****. Grossman was a first round pick and was given every opportunity to prove his worth. If you dont think PR plays a part in this, youre crazy
See the 2007 season 'Butler Bynote'--not only did he struggle to beat out WRECKS but SOB too!!!!!! Come our bye week this year--I will allow you to offer an apology to me once Chris Simms takes the helm............
Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #24
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I dunno .... the more I read about Orton, the more I think Lovie had some kind of odd personal beef/dislike of the kid. Orton definitely performed for him, with victories if not stats, and he was benched for his trouble.

I think this was a Lovie thing, not a Kyle thing.
I think that your Simms hunch will prove correct --Orton will start,but by mid season we will realize that we never really had a #1 QB.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #25
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
See the 2007 season 'Butler Bynote'--not only did he struggle to beat out WRECKS but SOB too!!!!!! Come our bye week this year--I will allow you to offer an apology to me once Chris Simms takes the helm............
Your butler by'not'e joke wasnt funny the first 50 times you said it. And i'll safely argue that Orton was never involved in an open competition with those two. he didnt get his opportunity till the end of 07, and played decently in the 3 he played. Then he beat out Rex in 08. Players improve, believe it or not. You remain an ahole though.