The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Questions for Brandon Marshall:

Why did you sign the contract in the first place? If you were just going to go back on it, why bother?

Why do you need more than 2.2 million dollars? (if that TV gets any bigger you might lose your arm and not just get cut when you fall through it!)

Why isn't your word worth anything to you?

Why can't you make it through an off season without pissing off the police?

Why can't you hold onto the ball?
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

rep'd for truth
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

NFL contracts are just negotiating points. Any one of us would treat them as such if we were in these situations too. When in Rome...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Why did you sign the contract in the first place? If you were just going to go back on it, why bother?

This is kind of a tired argument thats used all the time. It's kind of hypocritical. Players are routinely cut before their contracts are up. This is a business first and foremost and that goes both ways. The contract also does not mandate that you MUST play. It simply provides for limited remedies if you don't. If Brandon feels the limited remedy is something he is willing to pay, there's no problem.

Why do you need more than 2.2 million dollars? (if that TV gets any bigger you might lose your arm and not just get cut when you fall through it!)

Because the market can bear it and will pay it. This is a violent sport and its a business. The goal is maximize earnings. This isn't communism. Don't tell anyone that "this is enough". They should get WHATEVER they can get and whatever they are worth. Why don't you ask Bowlen why he needs more than X amount in revenue on a yearly basis? Whatever X is, its alot more than what Marshall wants. Just as it would be wrong to ask Bowlen not to maximize his profit, it would be also wrong to ask Marshall to forego the same. Don't romanticize this. This is a business. The fair result comes from each side protecting their interest.

There's a HUGE estoppel problem here. It is hard to do anything but laugh when the Broncos are pointing their finger at ANYONE ELSE and saying "why isnt your word worth anything to you?". It's kind of like Bob giving dating advise, except worse.

A very excellent point and Brandon REMAINS a very immature person.

Another very good point. It's a weakness in his game to be sure.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Brandon wouldn't be taking a pay cut if he was performing like Ashlie Lelie, so why should he get a bonus? Cutting a player is not the same at all as holding out. Cutting relinquishes all rights, holding out allows the player to get the money he wants from whoever will pay it, it's not like they want to stay if they're holding out.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Why did he sign it in the first place?

Think he could've told Mike and Ted (at the time) that he would catch 100+ balls in 2 consecutive 1250+yard seasons and go to a pro-bowl after being drafted in the 4th round to play TE/H-back?

Maybe he should've held out as a rookie to avoid signing the contract to the team that drafted his rights? That would've made things better for anyone?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Brandon wouldn't be taking a pay cut if he was performing like Ashlie Lelie, so why should he get a bonus? Cutting a player is not the same at all as holding out. Cutting relinquishes all rights, holding out allows the player to get the money he wants from whoever will pay it, it's not like they want to stay if they're holding out.
The funny part is Ashley was on a first round rookie deal, while Brandon is on a 4th.

Financially, taking a "pay cut" to Ashley's contract would be a huge raise.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Why did he sign it in the first place?

Think he could've told Mike and Ted (at the time) that he would catch 100+ balls in 2 consecutive 1250+yard seasons and go to a pro-bowl after being drafted in the 4th round to play TE/H-back?

Maybe he should've held out as a rookie to avoid signing the contract to the team that drafted his rights? That would've made things better for anyone?
So I should go back to BestBuy and say "No, I don't want to pay you for this TV, because I can get a better TV now! Things have changed, this isn't worth the $3000 I agreed to pay for it! The bigger better TV is!"?

I wonder how that would go over.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
So I should go back to BestBuy and say "No, I don't want to pay you for this TV, because I can get a better TV now! Things have changed, this isn't worth the $3000 I agreed to pay for it! The bigger better TV is!"?

That's the single worst analogy I've ever heard and in no way does that apply to outperforming your contract.

Seriously... I re-read it like 15 times to make sure you were serious.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
That's the single worst analogy I've ever heard and in no way does that apply to outperforming your contract.

Seriously... I re-read it like 15 times to make sure you were serious.
It's still a contract. Why should you be able to go back on your contract because your a Wide Receiver in the NFL? Same reason you can run over a dude and only get 30 days!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Rebuilding both offense and defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Brandon wouldn't be taking a pay cut if he was performing like Ashlie Lelie, so why should he get a bonus?
He is already being paid like a Ashley level receiver. If he were paid like top caliber receiver and is not producing, broncos would nt oconinue to pay him the contract money just because they agreed to the contract. They will either renogiate (Gerard Warren) or cut the player(Price).

Quote:
Cutting a player is not the same at all as holding out. Cutting relinquishes all rights, holding out allows the player to get the money he wants from whoever will pay it, it's not like they want to stay if they're holding out.
Think about the case where a player gets hurt like Al. Teams don't fullfil their contract just because they agreed to it, they just cut you and your career is over. If Torrain does not recover in time, do you think Broncos will fullfill his contract? they will simply cut him. Every player has to look after himself and it is silly to grudge it.
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
It's still a contract. Why should you be able to go back on your contract because your a Wide Receiver in the NFL? Same reason you can run over a dude and only get 30 days!
Did your TV outperform your expectations and now Best Buy wants more money from?

Because, then we can start applying that to this situation.

Personally, what I'm getting from this thread is you're upset about over-paying for a TV and are upset at Brandon for breaking a nicer one than yours?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #13
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Rebuilding both offense and defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
I think you should go back read Socal's reply above - because in case of nfl, the contract is not binding on both parties.
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
bronco_boi_5280
Solid Starter

The Birdman Flies

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Andersen

Doggcow is pure silliness.
bronco_boi_5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #15
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:

You really don't understand how pro sports contracts work, and why it's not "the real world".

NFL players get paid millions and amazing perks because they 1) make their teams money and 2) may not be able to walk at 45

BTW...his contract pays him $500K...he's only making $2.2 million because he made the pro bowl incentives...still about 1/4 of his market value this season...around 10% of his value the last two seasons.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #16
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:

I'd laugh. Only a moron would pay 3,000 for a TV.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #17
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
You really don't understand how pro sports contracts work, and why it's not "the real world".

NFL players get paid millions and amazing perks because they 1) make their teams money and 2) may not be able to walk at 45

BTW...his contract pays him $500K...he's only making $2.2 million because he made the pro bowl incentives...still about 1/4 of his market value this season...around 10% of his value the last two seasons.
So why didn't he just sign a 1 year contract? He still put his name, his word, his reputation on that dotted line, no one put a gun to his head to do it.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #18
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:

Believe it or not, Best Buy is not like the NFL. At all.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

True, but if the team cuts the player before his contract is up, 'most' of the time there is still the guaranteed money that the team has to pay if it hasn't been paid already.

Last edited by GreatBronco16; 06-16-2009 at 11:17 PM..
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #20
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
So why didn't he just sign a 1 year contract? He still put his name, his word, his reputation on that dotted line, no one put a gun to his head to do it.
Like I said, you don't understand how pro sports contracts work.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #21
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Believe it or not, Best Buy is not like the NFL. At all.
Do tell! But...he bought a TV!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #22
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Do tell! But...he bought a TV!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #23
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Why the **** would I buy a TV from best buy? And why is that such a big deal, it was an analogy.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #24
yerner
Ring of Famer

Maybe the guy just doesn't feel like living in Denver anymore? It doesn't make him a horrible person.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #25
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
It was a fourth round rookie contract. I'm sure he would not ask for 3 mil a year being a fourth round pick. There is no way a long snapper should be making more than a Pro Bowl receiver.

This is a business, and I'm sure and you can mark my word on this he will not have as good of a season with Orton (a B- back-up QB) throwing him the ball and in 4 WR set with a new offensive scheme than he would with Culter (gun slanging who has talent) throwing him the ball. Which means a lower contract next season and the Broncos front office knows that.

For the same reason Mcdummy word is mud. This is a business and things change.

That's a good point. I can't defend that. He just needs to sit down somewhere, take some anger management, and stop hitting women. Dude your 6-4 230 your a huge guy. There is no reason you should be hitting a women.
Because he a big WR that tries to extend the play and not go down easy like a Reggie Wayne. Part of the reason he was one of the top wide outs in yards after the catch. You gotta take the good with the bad.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote