The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default Stallworth Gets 30 Days for Killing a Dude

In His car. I wish I was Rich.

"Finally Big Earn Is above the Law!"

In 1973 a Drunk Driver killed my Grandma. Second person he had killed. He did no time.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

and vick got 19 months for killing dogs. what a joke.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
Orange Blood
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

99% of the people in this forum (Pat Bowlen would have gotten off) would have gotten several years. It's nice to be reminded everyday that we live in a world with them (The Club) and us (peasants).
Orange Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
and OJ sliced and diced 2 people and did no time.

justice system in this country is ****ed.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

I live in texas, bob lives in texas. I drink, maybe I could run over bob!!! Would you guy's bail me out? Do you think I could get off with just 30 days?
HMMMMM, I wonder.
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Raidersbane
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco610 View Post
I live in texas, bob lives in texas. I drink, maybe I could run over bob!!! Would you guy's bail me out? Do you think I could get off with just 30 days?
HMMMMM, I wonder.

You probably would have had you not posted this.......
Raidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidersbane View Post
You probably would have had you not posted this.......
Doh !!!
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

wow,,,, that's all I can say.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Should have posted a link. The story is that Stallworth came to a financial settlement with the family first, and they signed off on the punishment. Since they are the injured party...
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
He got 19 months for violating interstate commerce law. Not for killing dogs. But your point still stands.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Should have posted a link. The story is that Stallworth came to a financial settlement with the family first, and they signed off on the punishment. Since they are the injured party...
Wouldn't happen in a Commonwealth.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Stallworth, a 2nd round pick and Rogers for Marshall
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I was interested in this case, and I'm not surprised by this agreement. It looked like Stallworth had a good case. His lawyers were going to claim that the guy was j walking, so in theory, even if Stallworth wasn't drinking, he could have still hit the guy. They were going to claim that the guy was at fault, or at least partially at fault, and that may have gotten him off. So it seems like the prosecutors gave him that deal to avoid a potential loss, and Stallworth took it to avoid a potential 4-14 year prison sentence. So it's not hard to see him getting only 30 days. If he had went forward with the case he had a chance to get off and not do any jail time.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
I was interested in this case, and I'm not surprised by this agreement. It looked like Stallworth had a good case. His lawyers were going to claim that the guy was j walking, so in theory, even if Stallworth wasn't drinking, he could have still hit the guy. They were going to claim that the guy was at fault, or at least partially at fault, and that may have gotten him off. So it seems like the prosecutors gave him that deal to avoid a potential loss, and Stallworth took it to avoid a potential 4-14 year prison sentence. So it's not hard to see him getting only 30 days. If he had went forward with the case he had a chance to get off and not do any jail time.
Except Stalworth clearly saw him and said he flashed his lights at the guy he killed. He should be in jail chipping rocks with other rocks.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Sorry But Drunk guys are not the most credible witnesses.

That said I sat on a Murder Jury. People are pretty stupid and loath to actually make decisions.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #16
GoHAM
Ring of Famer

36, now that's shabby!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Unrein

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

His sentence isn't actually as weak as it sounds. He also has 2 years of house arrest and a lifetime driver's license suspension.

It's still pretty pathetic. If Stallworth had been hit and killed by the Crane Operator, I guarantee the Crane Operator would have got 10+ yrs.
GoHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #17
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWYO View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

His sentence isn't actually as weak as it sounds. He also has 2 years of house arrest and a lifetime driver's license suspension.

It's still pretty pathetic. If Stallworth had been hit and killed by the Crane Operator, I guarantee the Crane Operator would have got 10+ yrs.
I disagree. If Stallworth would have been hit and killed by a drunk immigrant Crane Operater he would have gotten the electric chair.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
It has to do with intent. Vick was intentionally killing dogs for profit over a long period. Willfully realizing what his actions caused.

In the other case it negligent actions on a given night leading to a DUI that kills someone.

I see your point but also see how the law looks at intentional and negligent a little different.

Still if some DUI killed someone I loved and got 30 days, he would probably be seeing me at some point. Not sure I could live with that, so I totally see where you are coming from.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
yeah but the house arrest is really long. What is up with that? did I read that right?

does that mean he can't leave house for that long?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #20
broncsyanks
Broncos kick a$$!!!

agree vick got 19 months for killing animals 4 months home arrest bankrupt and might not get his career back. stallworth gets 30 days for killing a human BEING!! freakin retarded.
broncsyanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #21
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
It has to do with intent. Vick was intentionally killing dogs for profit over a long period. Willfully realizing what his actions caused.

In the other case it negligent actions on a given night leading to a DUI that kills someone.

I see your point but also see how the law looks at intentional and negligent a little different.

Still if some DUI killed someone I loved and got 30 days, he would probably be seeing me at some point. Not sure I could live with that, so I totally see where you are coming from.
PETA intentionally kills thousands of dogs. The issue with Vick is that he gave a face to an offense that usually gets little more than a slap on the wrist. Stallworth would be dead if he killed someone I love.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #22
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

First you are all correct that the penalty for Stallworth was weak. However, it isn't that uncommon even for the non-wealthy. There was a recent article in the Denver Post about a drunk driver killing his second person, while out on probation for killing his first. I think he only served 6 months on the first sentence. Now he is in for life.

It is sad that we allow anyone to ever drive again after their second DUI (I am all about two chances, but no more).
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I heard he got a Plea agreement and insisted on doing the 30 days in jail. In addition to a 10 year probation.

From what I understood part of the plea (I am no lawyer) was that he came to a Settlement with the family to prevent a Civil suit being filed by the family later.

ESPN had Lester Munson on and he said it was really a good deal for the family and Stallworth. Apparently Stallworth had a lot of remorse and wanted to wrap this all up quickly for all parties.

He could have dragged it out and spent the $ on a good trial lawyer team and may have ended up getting off or really screwing the family by forcing them to spend $ on their own legal council.

I think this was our system at it's best.

I am more interested in what the league does to him now.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #24
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Just to clear up, Vick was nailed for illegal gambling on dog fights, not killing dogs. It had nothing to do with killing dogs, that just makes him a bad person.

30 days for killing someone due to gross negligence. If Plaxico gets 4 years for shooting himself, it will show just completely f'ed the justice system is.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #25
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Except Stalworth clearly saw him and said he flashed his lights at the guy he killed. He should be in jail chipping rocks with other rocks.
First let me say that I am not of the opinion that he should have gotten off.

I'd say that his lawyers could use that as him being aware enough to see the guy. If he was pissy drunk, he would not have seen the guy and just plowed into him. But he saw the guy and tried to warn him that he was coming. So he was aware of the situation.

Now people will go on and on about him only flashing his lights. I still haven't read that he did not apply his brakes. I'd like to know if he did or didn't, or if he had time to avoid hitting the guy.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote