The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 04:59 AM   #1
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis
 
Hulamau's Avatar
 
In the Pocket

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hulaville and Sedona
Posts: 9,239

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default Competition heating up on D

Again partly a rehash of the post minicamp video comments, but a few other quotes as well.

Competition heats up for defensive starting spots
Lindsay H. Jones, The Denver Post


Broncos coach Josh McDaniels may have settled on a starting quarterback during his three-day mandatory minicamp, but the team will head into training camp next month with open competition at a number of positions.

Let the battle continue, especially at defensive line positions, outside linebacker and running back.

"It'll be an interesting training camp for us because we've got a lot of good football players at the same positions, and those guys understand their roles in terms of battling for spots and the playing time that they're going to try to earn,"
McDaniels said.

"We're looking forward to that, and there were a lot of battles we couldn't really figure out in the spring because we don't have pads on. A lot of things to figure out, but we're looking forward to it."

Outside linebacker is expected to be one of the more interesting competitions because most, if not all, of the players fighting for playing time are playing the position for the first time. Converted defensive linemen Tim Crowder and Elvis Dumervil and rookie Robert Ayers each spent significant time rotating in with the first-team defense throughout the weekend.

"I think a lot of them were foreign to the position, but not quite anymore," McDaniels said.

"I think we're going to see a tremendous amount of improvement from that group from the beginning of August until our first game of the season in September and then throughout the year."

Pressure situations.

The team spent much of Sunday's two-hour practice working on late-game scenarios with the first-team offense, led by quarterback Kyle Orton, trying to drive the length of the field repeatedly against the first-team defense.

The goal, McDaniels said, was for players to experience a range of situations, from being backed up at their own 1-yard line to having to run onto the field to attempt a field goal without any timeouts remaining.

"We put a lot of pressure on the defense and the offense to know some different situations that we put into those drives, and that's really how close games in this league are won," McDaniels said. "Most of them are determined under seven points, and if you can win those one or two situations, you have a chance to win the game."


Veteran receiver Jabar Gaffney said the team will ultimately benefit from those drills once the season starts.

"It was certainly our best work of the weekend, so that's good to go out on a positive note," Gaffney said. "We were able to get stuff done, and we can actually see that when everybody does their job, we can be a pretty good offense."

.................................................. ..............

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12590988
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker
 
BroncoInSkinland's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,024

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Outside linebacker is expected to be one of the more interesting competitions because most, if not all, of the players fighting for playing time are playing the position for the first time. Converted defensive linemen Tim Crowder and Elvis Dumervil and rookie Robert Ayers each spent significant time rotating in with the first-team defense throughout the weekend.
Kind of a reverse indicator of something Popps posted here, that Ayers probably had time at DE since he only rotated to OLB. Once again, I think that is good news, I would much rather see Ayers at DE assuming the coaching staff feels he is up to that position. Does anyone have any news about the UDFA's on the line?
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInSkinland View Post
Kind of a reverse indicator of something Popps posted here, that Ayers probably had time at DE since he only rotated to OLB. Once again, I think that is good news, I would much rather see Ayers at DE assuming the coaching staff feels he is up to that position. Does anyone have any news about the UDFA's on the line?
I like having Mcbean and Peterson play the ends because they are bigger. Peterson I think a tad underated and for sure should have started over Engleburger. What the Broncos liked about Englecrapper I will never understand.

Ayers I think if he can learn OLB makes us even bigger. If it doesn't work out Broncos can always go smaller move Ayers to DE etc. But I think its smart to try the bigger way first. Broncos need more size to wear down offenses into the 4th quarter.

As someone who played football a little as a kid I can tell you even at that level a guy being bigger then you really wears you out over 4 quarters.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator
 
Man-Goblin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 6,005

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

What other players in the league rotate between DE and OLB in a 3-4? I honestly don't know if it is a common practice or not.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I like having Mcbean and Peterson play the ends because they are bigger. Peterson I think a tad underated and for sure should have started over Engleburger. What the Broncos liked about Englecrapper I will never understand.

Ayers I think if he can learn OLB makes us even bigger. If it doesn't work out Broncos can always go smaller move Ayers to DE etc. But I think its smart to try the bigger way first. Broncos need more size to wear down offenses into the 4th quarter.

As someone who played football a little as a kid I can tell you even at that level a guy being bigger then you really wears you out over 4 quarters.
I get what you're saying, but I think you meant to over-power the offense at the LOS? Otherwise, the bigger defenses are the ones that wear down more towards the ends of games, especially when teams can keep those big bodies on the field for sustained drives (SB 32 for example)
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I get what you're saying, but I think you meant to over-power the offense at the LOS? Otherwise, the bigger defenses are the ones that wear down more towards the ends of games, especially when teams can keep those big bodies on the field for sustained drives (SB 32 for example)
I mean all of that. I don't think Broncos have gotten so much bigger they will be like Gilbert Browns are anything, they aren't super fatties, just a little bigger and more physical is what I'm looking for.

Obviously if they don't get teams off the field they will be tired by 4th qaurter whether you are small or big. But yeah I mean biggers guys to control the trenches a little more.

If we add to that better special teams, and also run the ball more I think we could cut down on the points scored against us by about 50 this yr.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
What other players in the league rotate between DE and OLB in a 3-4? I honestly don't know if it is a common practice or not.
Most teams rotate a guy like Seymore from Dend to DT. But Broncos will have a hybrid type defense this yr IMO because they won't have the complete 3-4 tools.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
e-mac
Rookie
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 67

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Justin Smith and Adalius Thomas
e-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,454

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
What other players in the league rotate between DE and OLB in a 3-4? I honestly don't know if it is a common practice or not.
isn't that primarily what Suggs is doing in Baltimore? He is more of an OLB pass rusher than a DE, but he does come down to the line at DE on running downs on occasion.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
isn't that primarily what Suggs is doing in Baltimore? He is more of an OLB pass rusher than a DE, but he does come down to the line at DE on running downs on occasion.
But when he comes down to DE they're in a 4-3 look. He's asking about players that shift from 3-4 OLB to 3-4 DE.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,454

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
But when he comes down to DE they're in a 4-3 look. He's asking about players that shift from 3-4 OLB to 3-4 DE.
thank you for the clarification. i always assumed that was how we would use Ayers. because i don't think he fits the mold of a 3-4 end at all.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Yay! All of that grade-A talent McD brought in should amp up the competition like nobodys business!

These guys will have no problem making up for McD's continued destruction of the offense!
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

In all fairness, OP did not include the FULL title of the article.

It should read:

"Competition heating up on D to lukewarm"
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]
 
listopencil's Avatar
 
BOOM! Winner.

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The People's Republic Of California
Posts: 8,537

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkillet View Post
Yay! All of that grade-A talent McD brought in should amp up the competition like nobodys business!

These guys will have no problem making up for McD's continued destruction of the offense!

Yeah! And maybe it will only take a couple of years to make up for Shanny's shameful decade of neglect on the D side!
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
Yeah! And maybe it will only take a couple of years to make up for Shanny's shameful decade of neglect on the D side!
Ignorant post
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,454

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

with Crowder making some noise as a potential 3-4 OLB starter for us, if Nolan makes that happen and Crowder does well, i will proclaim Nolan a Defensive Minded God.

just him being noticed shows immediately what good coaches can do with players. 2 years and he did nothing, but give the guy some good coaches and within a couple months he is getting notice as a possible starter.

yes i know it is only June, but this is actually more hype than Crowder has generated in his entire career thus far, so it is worth notice.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
with Crowder making some noise as a potential 3-4 OLB starter for us, if Nolan makes that happen and Crowder does well, i will proclaim Nolan a Defensive Minded God.

just him being noticed shows immediately what good coaches can do with players. 2 years and he did nothing, but give the guy some good coaches and within a couple months he is getting notice as a possible starter.

yes i know it is only June, but this is actually more hype than Crowder has generated in his entire career thus far, so it is worth notice.


He had the best rookie season of that whole group.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #18
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post


He had the best rookie season of that whole group.
and played like 3 games last year, deactivated for the likes of Engleberger and Jarvis Moss
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #19
Popps
It's so easy
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
with Crowder making some noise as a potential 3-4 OLB starter for us, if Nolan makes that happen and Crowder does well, i will proclaim Nolan a Defensive Minded God.

just him being noticed shows immediately what good coaches can do with players. 2 years and he did nothing, but give the guy some good coaches and within a couple months he is getting notice as a possible starter.

yes i know it is only June, but this is actually more hype than Crowder has generated in his entire career thus far, so it is worth notice.

Again, to me... Moss/Crowder simply making the roster would be a shocking, positive turn of events. If those guys turn into even solid back-ups/ST contributors, it's a huge win, considering how horrible they've been thus far.

Keep in mind, these guys couldn't beat out John Engelberger for a starting job. (Who still hasn't found a job, as far as I know.)

If Crowder/Moss turn out to be in any way productive, it's just another glaring example of how inept the prior administration was with their defensive talent.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #20
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco
 
eddie mac's Avatar
 
Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 17,008

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
and played like 3 games last year, deactivated for the likes of Engleberger and Jarvis Moss
Was that performance related, scheme related or coach decision making related

Either way Crowder's got a clean slate like everyone else and it's up to him to stake his claim.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]
 
listopencil's Avatar
 
BOOM! Winner.

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The People's Republic Of California
Posts: 8,537

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Blah blah blah

Ignorant poster.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #22
NYBronco
Ring of Famer
 
NYBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
In all fairness, OP did not include the FULL title of the article.

It should read:

"Competition heating up on D to lukewarm"
That would be a measurable improvement from the Shanahan years.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #23
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan
 
PFM / Kopitar

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So.Cal.
Posts: 5,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
with Crowder making some noise as a potential 3-4 OLB starter for us, if Nolan makes that happen and Crowder does well, i will proclaim Nolan a Defensive Minded God.

just him being noticed shows immediately what good coaches can do with players. 2 years and he did nothing, but give the guy some good coaches and within a couple months he is getting notice as a possible starter.

yes i know it is only June, but this is actually more hype than Crowder has generated in his entire career thus far, so it is worth notice.

I was going to comment on the same thing. Even hearing the name Crowder mentioned without the word cut or released following it, is a Big plus in my book ! Good news.
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,494

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
That would be a measurable improvement from the Shanahan years.
Ignorant statement, but feel free to continue.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #25
NYBronco
Ring of Famer
 
NYBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Ignorant statement, but feel free to continue.
Your a born leader.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:02 PM.


Denver Broncos