The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default Rod Smith owns Brandon Marshall at mini-camp

http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php

Watch the interview with Rod Smith at mini-camp in the Video & Audio tab.

I still can't believe what a diva dumb **** Marshall is after all the chances we've given him.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I can't get the video to work on this computer... What does he say?
BroncoDoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_Doug View Post
I can't get the video to work on this computer... What does he say?
In short he's basically telling Marshall he needs to get his ass to camp because he's being a detriment to both himself and the team. That he signed a contract and he needs to honor it.

Essentially, "Brandon, stop being diva and earn a raise through your play this season."
Old 06-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I wouldn't say he owns him. He said its not good when you aren't here both for the individual or the team. They asked if he has spoken to Marhsall he said no. They asked if he will reach out to Marshall he said I think Marshall should call me because I have information he should want.

He also said he is under contract he should honor it. Never been a guy to hold out.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Let's face it we all saw the warning signs that pointed to Marshall being nothing like Rod Smith. They both play wr, both got in trouble for comestic violence, but that is about it. Rod Smith always put team first. Brandon Marshall had to be retrained to avoid a costly penalty when he was about to do something stupid after a TD.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Essentially, "Brandon, stop being diva and earn a raise through your play this season."
I think he should get a raise as soon as possible, but only after he has a clean bill of health and his current legal troubles are behind him. I think he's already proven it on the field, so I don't completely agree with Rod in that respect.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
I wouldn't say he owns him. He said its not good when you aren't here both for the individual or the team. They asked if he has spoken to Marhsall he said no. They asked if he will reach out to Marshall he said I think Marshall should call me because I have information he should want.

He also said he is under contract he should honor it. Never been a guy to hold out.
In my book when a diva gets told his antics are wrong by a legend, that's being owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I think he should get a raise as soon as possible, but only after he has a clean bill of health and his current legal troubles are behind him. I think he's already proved it on the field, so I don't completely agree with Rod in that respect.
He earned his $2.2 million paycheck this year with his work last year. If he goes through the entire season with continued production and without off the field incidents then he will deserve his fat contract from the Broncos.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I think he should get a raise as soon as possible, but only after he has a clean bill of health and his current legal troubles are behind him.
Agree 100%
Old 06-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
In my book when a diva gets told his antics are wrong by a legend, that's being owned.
I think you are over reacting. Smith said himself that he didn't know what Marshall was thinking or any particular information about "situation" (Smith used that word about 5 times). What if they talk and Smith finds out that Marshall was told that the team would be redoing this deal before mini camp and now they decide to wait til the end of season.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Rod makes some good points, but he was also a UDFA who says he considered himself fortunate to be on the team, so obviously Rod wasn't thinking about holding out 3 years into his first contract.

I do think Marshall would be better served in camp, but given both the seemingly laise faire attitude of the current negotiations and the problems of injury diagnosis he alleges, I can understand why he's staying out.

This story is no big deal...NFL players, esepcially stars...skip minicamp pretty often. It's not deserving of the meltdown this board is having over it.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
This story is no big deal...NFL players, esepcially stars...skip minicamp pretty often. It's not deserving of the meltdown this board is having over it.
Amen.

It's all "DIVA b****" and "LEARN SOME MORALITY" now, buuttttt when he comes back it'll be "It's a business". Should tape off a special forum for all the PMS'ing by the resident PMS'ers.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Even if BM can't participate because of his hip, he really needs to be in camp learning the new system. Brandon is no rocket scientist to begin with, and new terminology, new timing, and new techniques aren't things he's going to quickly grasp. If he is on the team and active this year, his numbers will certainly go down. He's just digging a deeper hole for himself.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
Amen.

It's all "DIVA b****" and "LEARN SOME MORALITY" now, buuttttt when he comes back it'll be "It's a business". Should tape off a special forum for all the PMS'ing by the resident PMS'ers.
It not like he held out four games into a season.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This is a non-issue.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
Even if BM can't participate because of his hip, he really needs to be in camp learning the new system. Brandon is no rocket scientist to begin with, and new terminology, new timing, and new techniques aren't things he's going to quickly grasp. If he is on the team and active this year, his numbers will certainly go down. He's just digging a deeper hole for himself.
It is 3 day football passing camp, and not like he hasn't been sending time there learning the offense before this. This isn't as big a deal as some make it out to be.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #16
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I agree that its not a big deal that he is missing these three days.. He has a point to prove (right or wrong) and he did that. If he starts missing training camp, then i'll start to worry..
BroncoDoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Rod makes some good points, but he was also a UDFA who says he considered himself fortunate to be on the team, so obviously Rod wasn't thinking about holding out 3 years into his first contract.

I do think Marshall would be better served in camp, but given both the seemingly laise faire attitude of the current negotiations and the problems of injury diagnosis he alleges, I can understand why he's staying out.

thank you, finally someone else sees this. until TC starts and if he then decides to Lelie the situation, then the board can go nuts, but jesus christ it is a 3 day mini camp, and he doesn't want to get treatment by the same jackasses who misdiagnosed him for a full season. i see no reason to get pissed off considering he wouldn't be on the field anyway because of the hip
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #18
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

i love Rod Smith's attitude...but Rod is 1 in a million...

i don't expect Marsh to be half the character guy Smith was as our WR...

personally i don't 100 agree that just because a player is under contract, they should honor ir, because teams don't honor contracts...

with that said, Marshall is a different case to me...he's not in a position to hold out IMO...he doesn't have as much leverage as perhaps he seems to think...

i truly believe the Broncos will not budge on this and i support that decision...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
i love Rod Smith's attitude...but Rod is 1 in a million...

i don't expect Marsh to be half the character guy Smith was as our WR...

personally i don't 100 agree that just because a player is under contract, they should honor ir, because teams don't honor contracts...

with that said, Marshall is a different case to me...he's not in a position to hold out IMO...he doesn't have as much leverage as perhaps he seems to think...

i truly believe the Broncos will not budge on this and i support that decision...
he has a lot of leverage. take him off the field and Royal isn't going to hit 91 catches and nearly 1000 receiving yards. the entire offense's numbers will drop, and not even a dominant running game is going to make up for the 100+ receptions and 1300+ receiving yards he will give the team.

the team should give him a new deal, but place clauses in it about his off field bull****, that gives them an out and a way to recoup bonuses if he slips up again.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #20
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:

He earned his $2.2 million paycheck this year with his work last year. If he goes through the entire season with continued production and without off the field incidents then he will deserve his fat contract from the Broncos.
That is a good way of looking at it... can we cut Champ Bailey's pay in half since last year wasn't so good. How about his brother's pay? It is funny how people will quickly point out that a player should "honor" his contract, but when the team asks players to restructure, they should also do that for the good of the team... otherwise they aren't team players. Whatever. BMarsh has earned a new pay day. He's also earned a few clauses be put into his contract to protect the team. Not sure who said it, but the Broncos should give him a contract loaded with reachable incentives. He catches 100 balls, $2m bonus. He plays in 15 games, $1m. He catches 1200 yards worth, $1m. He catches 10 TDs, $2m. He goes to the Pro-bowl or is named all-pro, $2m. Base Salary. $1m. That means he can reach $9m a season with incentives that he has reached or can reasonably reach every season. That would make him the 2nd highest WR in the league... and it would protect the Broncos. If he were to get suspended he would likely not reach several of the incentives. The problem is he will want guaranteed money. Not sure what you can do about that? The biggest sticking point with guaranteed money is the players want it b/c it is injury protection. Maybe they work out some sort of deal to where a % of his contract becomes guaranteed if he's injured PLAYING FOOTBALL. I would think a contract with those protections would be good for the Broncos, doubt BMarsh would go for it though.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #21
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php

Watch the interview with Rod Smith at mini-camp in the Video & Audio tab.

I still can't believe what a diva dumb **** Marshall is after all the chances we've given him.
Who's still there that's given him those chances?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #22
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
That is a good way of looking at it... can we cut Champ Bailey's pay in half since last year wasn't so good. How about his brother's pay? It is funny how people will quickly point out that a player should "honor" his contract, but when the team asks players to restructure, they should also do that for the good of the team... otherwise they aren't team players. Whatever. BMarsh has earned a new pay day. He's also earned a few clauses be put into his contract to protect the team. Not sure who said it, but the Broncos should give him a contract loaded with reachable incentives. He catches 100 balls, $2m bonus. He plays in 15 games, $1m. He catches 1200 yards worth, $1m. He catches 10 TDs, $2m. He goes to the Pro-bowl or is named all-pro, $2m. Base Salary. $1m. That means he can reach $9m a season with incentives that he has reached or can reasonably reach every season. That would make him the 2nd highest WR in the league... and it would protect the Broncos. If he were to get suspended he would likely not reach several of the incentives. The problem is he will want guaranteed money. Not sure what you can do about that? The biggest sticking point with guaranteed money is the players want it b/c it is injury protection. Maybe they work out some sort of deal to where a % of his contract becomes guaranteed if he's injured PLAYING FOOTBALL. I would think a contract with those protections would be good for the Broncos, doubt BMarsh would go for it though.
People talk like restructuring is so bad. But most often than not a restructure gets more money upfront to the player and in the NFL that is the most important aspect. What I don't understand is why now all of a sudden should the team change policy? Shanny never restructured rookie contracts but no one was complaining then. So you give Shanny a pass but not McD and Bowlen?
Old 06-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #23
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I think you are over reacting. Smith said himself that he didn't know what Marshall was thinking or any particular information about "situation" (Smith used that word about 5 times). What if they talk and Smith finds out that Marshall was told that the team would be redoing this deal before mini camp and now they decide to wait til the end of season.
Who gives a ****.... Dude is under contract period and continues to flirt with suspension from the NFL. If that is the kind of player you want on your team, then be prepared to have the same results they have had the past few seasons.

Football is a team sport, if you are not with the team, just play out your contract then walk away. I think it is called MANNING UP
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #24
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
he has a lot of leverage. take him off the field and Royal isn't going to hit 91 catches and nearly 1000 receiving yards. the entire offense's numbers will drop, and not even a dominant running game is going to make up for the 100+ receptions and 1300+ receiving yards he will give the team.

the team should give him a new deal, but place clauses in it about his off field bull****, that gives them an out and a way to recoup bonuses if he slips up again.
you're looking at it the wrong way...he has next to no leverage...

he's under contract and in an uncapped year he's a restricted agent and if a new agreement is made he'll be franchised...if he holds out long enough, he'll be fined and if he holds out into the season he threatens to not be paid at all...

throw in the fact that he's still dealing with legal issues, and it's pretty apparent that the leverage is not on his side...

and also...we don't know for sure that the offense won't produce without him...Royal is a talent regardless of Marshall's presence...in case you forgot, Royals best game as a pro came in the 1 game Marshall didn't play...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #25
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
It not like he held out four games into a season.
Damarcus Russell did not hold out 4 games into the season and look how far behind he still is.

It is so damn funny how some of you idiots continue to support this a-hole who clearly cares about nothing but himself.

What do you think made MacCaffrey and Rod Smith so damn special Hard work and wanting to be the best they could ever be.... Neither one of them had the skill set BM has, but both of them had more TD's in a single season than the great Marshall has.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote