The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default Early look at our game 1 opponent (@ Cincinnati Bengals)

2008: The Bengals finished 4-11-1, they won the last 3 games of the year against Washington, Cleveland and Kansas City, so not really that impressive.

They had the worst offense in the league in terms of yards and points, the defense was quite middle of the road (12th in yards, 18th in points).

What to expect from 2009?: They lost their best WR, their offensive line lost two long-time starters, but did pick up a very good LT in the draft. Their starting RB is called Cedric Benson which is not a stable situation, Palmer keeps getting injured, but the defense is looking better and better and might just be a surprise unit this year. I don't expect them to be much improved compared to last year overall, but I do expect them to finish with about 6 wins.

We play them in the opener, which is good for us since they are such a young team. I don't think they are going to be at their best early in the season, I expect the Bengals to come together later on.

The game: Our offense is quite a bit better than theirs, however their defense is better than ours.

This is definitely a game we can win, we should be able to outscore them pretty handily and this will be a nice first game for our defense who shouldn't get kicked around and may be able to build some confidence. My feeling is that we win this one in a pretty low scoring game.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Good breakdown......

I'm thinkn 27-14 Denver
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Yes they lost TJ Houshmandzadeh...debateable whether he was better than Chad or not...but they did sign Lavernues Coles in FA and they were without Carson Palmer for all but 4 games last year. One would expect he's starting this game. In any case I don't think they're as bad as their record was last year. They opened up last year with close losses to Baltimore, NYG and Dallas...2 of those on the road...by a total of 19 points and their other loss was to Tennessee. The offense looked so bad partly because they lost Palmer...and partly because of the AFC North defenses they see. I'm sure ours will be a more welcome sight than Pittsburgh, Baltimore or Tennesse's. Even though they may not look like world beaters they did finish with 3 straight wins last year. It's still a road game and the home opener always has a pumped up crowd.

I'll wait till preseason at least before trying to make predictions...way to early for that. We might want to see whose still in the lineup first.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 06-14-2009 at 10:34 AM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

...Lacking from your "analysis" is the fact that they were quarterbacked by ryan "I'm a genius on the Wonderlic, but can't throw the football very hard" fitzpatrick.

Between Ochocinco having a sub-par, injury riddled season, and transitioning away from Rudi to Cedric, in addition to some injuries along their OLine, I think it's a very, very serious mistake to underrate their offense and assume that our offense will simply outperform theirs based on last year's performance.

We may very well be minus Wiegmann and Marshall, and obviously we don't have Cutler anymore.

We're probably about even with them on overall talent, and they might have the edge with a rehabilitated Palmer and Ochocinco.
s0phr0syne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We need our defense to be much improved. Bengals D was pretty solid last year and figures to be again this year, so I can't see us sticking with them if we need to have a shootout.

Impossible to predict anything at this point though.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Punisher
®WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Money to Burn WOOOO®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

We win 3-0 with a 68 yard Filed Goal In Overtime with 3 seconds to go.

You heard it here first!
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

This is going to be a harder game than many believe it will be. A healthy Carson Palmer with Johnson and Coles is always something to worry about. Also, as one guy said... they've stacked their defense, especially in this years draft.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
...Lacking from your "analysis" is the fact that they were quarterbacked by ryan "I'm a genius on the Wonderlic, but can't throw the football very hard" fitzpatrick.

Between Ochocinco having a sub-par, injury riddled season, and transitioning away from Rudi to Cedric, in addition to some injuries along their OLine, I think it's a very, very serious mistake to underrate their offense and assume that our offense will simply outperform theirs based on last year's performance.

We may very well be minus Wiegmann and Marshall, and obviously we don't have Cutler anymore.

We're probably about even with them on overall talent, and they might have the edge with a rehabilitated Palmer and Ochocinco.
Denver 34-Cincy 10...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
This is going to be a harder game than many believe it will be. A healthy Carson Palmer with Johnson and Coles is always something to worry about. Also, as one guy said... they've stacked their defense, especially in this years draft.
Denver will lose
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Denver will lose
We don't exactly have the best track record starting out on the road. I think it will be a close loss.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post

Their offensive line is worse this year than last year, even with the injuries they had.

Palmer has not been the same player since Olhofen blew out his knee a few years ago, he is still a decent QB, but he is not the game-changer he used to be, he looks gunshy to me and without his safety blanket (Houshyomama), an offensive line that has gotten consistently worse for a few years and a runningback who couldn't break 4 yards per carry if he was chased by a hungry tiger.

On offense, we have a much better offensive line than they do, better runningbacks, better tight ends and better recievers, we also have better offensive coaches.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
WoodMan
Ring of Famer

Denver has played very poorly in Cinci in the past. I don't know why, but I do know that Corey Dillion put up the all time rushing record on us a few years ago, which has been broken since. New staffs first game too. This game will be won by the home team.
WoodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Denver will have the easier job scouting, based on last year's film.

That may be the only advantage.
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #14
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

I am expecting Denver to win easily

Of course it is hard to predict how good we will be with so many unknown variables, but Cinci is not very good.

Our offense should slice through their D, and our defense I think can at least contain them.

I am guessing 34-17 Denver

I just like how this team has been put together so far and think we will be a solid team this year
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #15
Orange Blood
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Anybody want to preview our favorite NFC team's first game? Chicago opens up versus Green Bay at Lambeau Field on NBC Sunday Night Football!
Orange Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #16
Orange Blood
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan2438 View Post
Good breakdown......

I'm thinkn 27-14 Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3
Denver 34-Cincy 10...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster
I am guessing 34-17 Denver
What's with all the blowouts?

Considering Denver has a rookie coach and it's on the road, I will be happy with a one point victory. Just get the W. Style points is the least of my concerns and desires.
Orange Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #17
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

June 14th, this game is 3 months away, and we are already looking at how we think we match up.
Must be a very slow time for some folks.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
We don't exactly have the best track record starting out on the road. I think it will be a close loss.
Ah, Sureshot I was only joking. In a year of Easy games for the BRoncos this will be the easiest.

It doesn't matter who Denver starts at any position they will outcoach the Bengals to a 45-3 win.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #19
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Ah, Sureshot I was only joking. In a year of Easy games for the BRoncos this will be the easiest.

It doesn't matter who Denver starts at any position they will outcoach the Bengals to a 45-3 win.

In an attempt to be sarcastic you actually have gone a long way in proving the opposite of what you believe...

the Bengals have fielded one of the "most talented" teams for the past 5 years...but terrible coaching and bad personalities have been their downfall....

I'd rather follow the Pats recipe than Cincinattis
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #20
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

45-3 Denver. Defense scores 21 on 2 int returns and a fumble return for a TD.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

At this point and time, I just want the Broncos to forfeit the game. I mean, theres no way in hell they win one game this coming season, what, with all of this "team first" crap going on.

I mean, what does that mean "team first"? Doesn't the coaching staff realize that in order to win consistently you need big stats and big name players? In order to win you gotta be able to sling the ball around the field for 300+ yards come hell or high water! Who cares if the team scores a TD, it's the gaudy offensive numbers that put people in the seats!

The best defense is a big flashy offense that just scares the hell out of the other team. When the opposing team sees a QB who can light them up and who has weapons galore, most of the time they just give up and hand you the win!

Damn, football 101 people!!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #22
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
I was thinking this also, they really had a solid draft all around this year and I told my Steeler's friend that that division is a lot tighter than people would like to think.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote