The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default So I started my own business...

As many of you know I am a web developer and after working with many folks over the past 4 years and watching them collect all the money I decided I was going to do it on my own.

Well, today I just landed a monstrous client that will be sending literally dozens of companies to my company every year.

Now I know I need to do some more stuff but I was wondering if any of you had your own businesses and what all else I need to do before Im really ready to go. So far I have my LLC and my business bank account set up, but Im pretty sure there is more to it than that. What else will I need to do to get things going as far as taxes and such.

I am the sole proprietor but I have 2 other associates, while not legally entitled to anything, are essentially partners in this endeavor.

IF you are interested in taking a look we can be found here: www.novanetonline.com, but really Im just looking for some free advice on what else needs to happen for my business to be 100% ready to go.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Tech Support?
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Insurance, an agreement between you and the 2 associates. The smart thing to do since you already are an LLC is to pay yourself a salary and have taxes taken out . Use one of the payroll companies. Thats just the first couple of things. I have owned several businesses and would need more info about yours before giving you further advice but one thing if you can afford it is a CPA familiar with your type business. It will save you a lot of headaches and let you concentrate on doing the work instead of the books.
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Tech Support?
Sometimes. Tech support related to websites, but thats not really what we do.

We develop websites, from design to restructuring. Overhaul static sites to Database driven sites, manage marketing campaigns, hosting, e-commerce, troubleshooting existing systems, etc.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Meck77

Good for you Raenos. Great time to start a business. While people are complaining about how tough things are and closing up shop you are plowing ahead! Congrats.

You are going to need a Tax ID. http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=99336,00.html

I'd recommend calling your local SBA (Small Business Administration). They are there to give you free advice.

Also I did a quick glance of your site. Looks great but I'd reword the section under portfolio. I'd take the part out about having a small portfolio. Just say here are some samples and call it good.

Best of luck. I'll certainly consider your offer you sent via pm as well.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Good for you Raenos. Great time to start a business. While people are complaining about how tough things are and closing up shop you are plowing ahead! Congrats.

You are going to need a Tax ID. http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=99336,00.html

I'd recommend calling your local SBA (Small Business Administration). They are there to give you free advice.

Also I did a quick glance of your site. Looks great but I'd reword the section under portfolio. I'd take the part out about having a small portfolio. Just say here are some samples and call it good.

Best of luck. I'll certainly consider your offer you sent via pm as well.
Wording on the site is more or less temporary. Portfolio is actually about ten times larger than that but we just havent had time to add to it yet.

All great advice though!
Old 06-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
Meck77

Here you go dude. All your local government BS and tax links you'll need and more.

http://www.parkercolorado.org/pdfFil...OURCEGUIDE.pdf

You might consider joining your chamber of commerce and registering with the better business bureau eventually. Good networking and it will confuse people into thinking you are a legit business and not the ahole that we all know you are.

Last edited by Meck77; 06-11-2009 at 05:02 PM..
Old 06-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Sometimes. Tech support related to websites, but thats not really what we do.

We develop websites, from design to restructuring. Overhaul static sites to Database driven sites, manage marketing campaigns, hosting, e-commerce, troubleshooting existing systems, etc.
Web development, SEO, and the like is one of the hardest niches to get into without a lot of word of mouth already working for you. It' seems you got that, which is great (and necessary).

If you're looking for organic traffic and business, I'd recommend creating entry level pages almost soley designed for ''long tailed keywords" (secondary search terms since you're not going to rank on the front page for ''seo'') This is a great tool for using to find those kind of keywords.

Don't have those pages be part of your basic navigation on the page, but do have it so that a search engine spider can find them. Also, create and submit sitemaps to google and yahoo webmaster sections.

Sign up for Google Analytics and track and replicate what does work well. And of course, put links with good anchor text to your site and inner pages anywhere and everywhere you get a chance.

I don't know how much of the above you didn't already know, but hope it helps if you didn't. I know jacksh_t on the design side of things, but if you have any questions on the seo side of things, feel free to ask here or in PM.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Congrats, Adam. You'll be glad that you did. Forget the SBA. PM me and I'll refer you to a good CPA I know up there.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Meck77

I hear ya Gary. A CPA is certainly worth their weight in gold but some of them think they can bill at attorney rates.

Might consider a payroll company like this to handle your payroll. www.paychex.com
Old 06-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Cool.

Congrats and good luck.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

May I be the 1st to say your site is ****ing Gay?

In a good way that is.

Good luck, let me know if you need some help on the side I have lots of free time when my back/shoulder/neck are not spasming.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

BRAVO... Congrats buddy. Here's hoping your business takes off and you end up with a bunch of box seats at Inve$co and have to invite your buddy Alex to all the games.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #14
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer

Thread Killer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

hey rock once you are established if you are looking for an employee I'd be interested in relocating to denver from virginia. I'm A+ and net + certified. I don't have much experience in building websites and such but I can learn.
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:12 AM   #15
Endy
Go Donks

Thanks McDaniels for my season tix

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
As many of you know I am a web developer and after working with many folks over the past 4 years and watching them collect all the money I decided I was going to do it on my own.

Well, today I just landed a monstrous client that will be sending literally dozens of companies to my company every year.

Now I know I need to do some more stuff but I was wondering if any of you had your own businesses and what all else I need to do before Im really ready to go. So far I have my LLC and my business bank account set up, but Im pretty sure there is more to it than that. What else will I need to do to get things going as far as taxes and such.

I am the sole proprietor but I have 2 other associates, while not legally entitled to anything, are essentially partners in this endeavor.

IF you are interested in taking a look we can be found here: www.novanetonline.com, but really Im just looking for some free advice on what else needs to happen for my business to be 100% ready to go.
You said that the copy on the website is temporary and that is a good thing.

From this college professor's perspective, it is in need of some serious copy editing. Misplaced apostrophes, incorrect word usage, these things will undermine your credibility. This is where I'd insert an insult about a KU education since I went to KSU, but I can't.

Your message is good though. Good luck!
Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:15 AM   #16
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Good luck with your business, I hope it takes off.
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:35 AM   #17
GSRelyea
NEWOUTDOORSMEN.COM

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Al Wilson

I use paychex as well with my company, they are great- pretty much handle everything for you. And when tax time comes you will have all necessary paperwork to make filing very easy. Also I might suggest getting a corporate kit, costs about $70 but is quite handy with keeping all corporate documents (Minutes, Articles, Operating Agreement, Certificates, Membership Listing) organized. Corpkit.com is a great company good price, and quality product.

Last edited by GSRelyea; 06-12-2009 at 06:38 AM..
GSRelyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:41 AM   #18
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Hire a smokin' personal assistant.

Worth their weight in gold more than a CPA.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #19
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

you hiring?
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Hey, can I be part of your staff Alec??:

Our staff has a diverse group of individuals with talents that range across the board.

Granted, I may bring nothing to the table for your new business but that does not mean I don't have talent!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #21
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Here you go dude. All your local government BS and tax links you'll need and more.

http://www.parkercolorado.org/pdfFil...OURCEGUIDE.pdf

You might consider joining your chamber of commerce and registering with the better business bureau eventually. Good networking and it will confuse people into thinking you are a legit business and not the ahole that we all know you are.

The BBB is a frigging joke. (Buying Better Business Label).
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
Hire a smokin' personal assistant.

Worth their weight in gold more than a CPA.
word
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #23
whatsgolden
Seasoned Veteran

I would join a BNI group (Business Networking International). There's a bunch of chapters in pretty much any metro area. They're industry exclusive & usually filled with a bunch of other small business owners. It's a referral group filled with other like-minded people who are looking to network & pass business to one another.

I didn't own my own business, but it was instrumental in my success in sales. It worked great for me. And, the web developer in our group seemed to get a referral every week, he did very well.

www.bni.com
whatsgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #24
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Endy View Post
You said that the copy on the website is temporary and that is a good thing.

From this college professor's perspective, it is in need of some serious copy editing. Misplaced apostrophes, incorrect word usage, these things will undermine your credibility. This is where I'd insert an insult about a KU education since I went to KSU, but I can't.

Your message is good though. Good luck!
I didnt write the copy so the knock on my education would be misplaced

Re: The SEO comments. Organic traffic is not even an option for us. This is the second most competitive field for internet traffic in the world (behind car sales) so trying to get the traffic would be an excersize in futulity. I know all the stuff you mentioned though, this isn't my first rodeo but thanks for the thoughts anyway.

Gary, PM me with the CPA person's info, I'll contact him/her as soon as possible.

I appreciate everyone's advice, when I get my luxury seats at Invesco, I may invite some of you plebians to enjoy the game in comfort.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #25
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by repcomment
So I started my own... 06-12-2009 09:42 AM bpc
Just posting to be an ass but I hope your business goes under and you end up fishing out of a dumpster for food. b****. ha ha.
You stay classy Chris.