The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default New Way to Browse the Mane at Work

Who here reads the site at work? A fair number of you, I'd bet. Unfortunately, I generally have the problem of people expecting me to be working while at work. Having a browser open to what is obviously a message board witha bright orange background, even with images and avys turned off, is not an option. And since this summer job is incredibly boring, I've come up with a new solution.

If any of you are on a computer with python installed, you can use this little tool I made. For those that don't know, python is a programming language. For tips on how to install it, use google. Free of charge, of course.

The program I wrote is basically a text interface for reading the mane. It runs right from the shell, so to any outside observer you could very believably be doing something work related. Obviously, this would still show up if someone is monitoring your internet traffic. But if you're only worried about wandering eyes, this should work fine.

It's a text interface. From the shell (or on a pc with python installed, you should be able to just double click on the file), simply type "python om.py" from whatever directory you downloaded it to, and you should, momentarily, see a list of the first 30 or so threads in Central Discussion. They're numbered, i.e. "12: Attention Whore Birthday Thread". So type 12, hit enter, and you'll be reading all about someone's birthday. Or a foodjacking. Whichever. This will display the default number of posts per page. Type 'q' and hit enter to close the program. Enter '>' or 'n' for the next page. '<' or 'p' for the previous page in the thread. Simply hit enter, or type any other combination of keys and hit enter to return to the central discussion listing. I have yet to delve into the whole cookie thing, so posting is currently not possible. Which, for many of you, makes this useless. But for reading news/discussions, its useful.

It's a super basic interface, and all that you can see in a thread is the name of the poster and what they wrote. Any images, imbedded videos, links, etc. just show up in the html tags. I don't know how many (if any) of you would find this useful, but it certainly helps the day pass quicker.

you can find it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=9...4e75f6e8ebb871

For some reason there is a limit on the file extensions you can attach here. So you could also download this attachment and change the extension from .txt to .py

I make no claims that this is bug free. I'll try to add features as people suggest them, assuming that I know how to do what you're asking. Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: txt om.txt (5.1 KB, 30 views)
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

thats awesome...

even with avys,images,sigs off it still is obvious when i'm on...

problem is i can't download anything at work without admin rights...

oh well...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Just introduce your boss to the site and you're scott free
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

while i'm at work i read on my cell.