The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default 9 signings GMs will regret the most

Nine signings that GMs will regret the most
by John Czarnecki

We keep hearing that teams (well, the owners) can't wait for 2010, the so-called uncapped season, because they will use the opportunity to drastically reduce player salaries. It is the financial black cloud hanging over any future collective bargaining negotiations. The owners view it as their big hammer, the biggest negotiating tool they can use to show the players how life and a lower payroll will be without a ballooning salary cap.

Of course, the union is snickering at these claims. They don't believe the owners, many of them who want to be competitive, will be able to really control themselves. They have never shown any signs in the past. In every free-agency period, they have thrown cash around like it is Monopoly money while the players laugh all the way to the nearest bank.
They did it again this year, judging by the following — this offseason's riskiest signings.

1. WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Seahawks: Yes, Housh led the Bengals last season with 92 receptions, but only for a paltry 9.8 yards a catch and four touchdowns. Yes, he is a solid receiver, but Seattle paid him like he's a No. 1 receiver, and at 32 years old he'll make $7 million. Next season the price tag rises to $8 million plus.

In a bidding war, he was able to collect $14.5 million over two seasons. The Seahawks have this thing about paying decent receivers, thinking they are as good as Larry Fitzgerald or Steve Smith. They did the same, exact thing with Deion Branch a few years back.

2. C Jake Grove, Dolphins: This ex-Oakland center and former second-round pick is a blue-collar type player, the kind that Bill Parcells loves ... when he plays, that is.

Grove missed 14 of 32 games over the last two seasons with the Raiders, yet based on that dependency he was rewarded with $14.5 million in guaranteed money. I have said all along that offensive linemen have been rewarded the most during the halcyon days of free agency. One team's good player is paid by another team as some superstar.

3. CB Andre Goodman, Broncos: This cornerback was a very average player in his first few years in the league, but he started 16 games last season in Miami and had his best year with five interceptions, the most in his seven-year career. He has 12 overall. In seven seasons.

Yet the Broncos stepped up and rewarded Goodman with a $10 million signing bonus. Believe me, he's no Champ Bailey. And he isn't that great in man-to-man coverage. Expect him to get burned by the Chargers.

4. WR Michael Clayton, Buccaneers: This receiver has been a disappointment ever since his 2004 season when he was the Offensive Rookie of the Year in Tampa Bay. Yes, he has the size (6-4 and 215) to be spectacular, but he has only two touchdown catches in the last four years.

He only had 38 catches for 484 yards last year, but the Bucs were so afraid of losing him that they gave him a $26 million contract over five seasons with $10.5 million guaranteed. Clayton loves the new offense and publicly ripped into former coach Jon Gruden. Well, Clayton had better be more productive. Tampa spent way too much money on a hunch that his production fell off solely because of not seeing eye-to-eye with Gruden.

5. S Gibril Wilson, Dolphins: The Dolphins once again are going for another so-called blue-collar player who started at safety for the Giants when they beat the Patriots. But the Giants allowed him to leave to Oakland last season, where he started and collected $8.4 million in bonuses. Al Davis couldn't wait to unload him after Wilson had just two interceptions and three fumble recoveries. Wilson doesn't run well, so Miami cut his bonus down to $5 million this year.

6. RB Cedric Benson, Bengals: This running back was finally run out of Chicago after being a first-round bust, but he's apparently found a home in Cincinnati, getting $7 million over the next two seasons.

The Bengals rewarded him for three 100-yard games last season, including 171 yards against the lowly Cleveland Browns in late December. He finished the year with 25 carries for 111 yards in another win against the Chiefs. But those were two of the league's worst run defenses a year ago. Rewarding Benson doesn't make much sense based on his past indiscretions and hefty bank account. He strikes me as a pay-as-you-go kind of player.

What does Marvin Lewis do if Cedric doesn't truly show up this season?

7. S Brian Dawkins, Broncos: I love this player, but $9.5 million over two years seems a tad much for a 36-year-old safety entering his 14th season with all those welts on his body after years of big hits. The Broncos are paying for his leadership, on and off the field. Knowing "Dawk," he will give it his all, wanting to prove to the Eagles that they made a mistake allowing him to leave.

8. C Jason Brown, Rams: The Rams are taking a lot of heat for signing this ex-Raven to a five-year, $37.5 million contract that includes $20 million in guarantees, including roster bonuses.

Remember, how financially rewarding free-agency has been to offensive linemen. Brown is only 26 and a solid 320 pounds, and the Rams, whose best player in running back Steven Jackson, were desperate for an anchor to their horrible offensive line. When you are a loser like the Rams, sometimes you have to overpay for quality.

The bottom line is that Baltimore wanted to keep him at this price. Instead, they gave perennial All-Pro Matt Birk $6 million, who was disliked by the Minnesota coaching staff, to replace him.

9. OT Orlando Pace, Bears: The Bears believe they got this former All-Pro for a bargain at $6 million for this season. Yes, he's a bargain if he can protect Jay Cutler like he used to protect Kurt Warner in St. Louis.

But what if his shoulders go out again? It's a lot of money for a former great player who started only nine games combined in the 2006-07 seasons.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...?MSNToolbar100

-------------
So let me get this straight... signing Dawkins and Goodman were bad signings? I think those are probably the 2 best signings. I guess we have to wait and see.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

who is supposedly burning him on the Chargers?

Vincent Jackson??
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

3. CB Andre Goodman, Broncos: This cornerback was a very average player in his first few years in the league, but he started 16 games last season in Miami and had his best year with five interceptions, the most in his seven-year career. He has 12 overall. In seven seasons.

Yet the Broncos stepped up and rewarded Goodman with a $10 million signing bonus. Believe me, he's no Champ Bailey. And he isn't that great in man-to-man coverage. Expect him to get burned by the Chargers.

7. S Brian Dawkins, Broncos: I love this player, but $9.5 million over two years seems a tad much for a 36-year-old safety entering his 14th season with all those welts on his body after years of big hits. The Broncos are paying for his leadership, on and off the field. Knowing "Dawk," he will give it his all, wanting to prove to the Eagles that they made a mistake allowing him to leave.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

6.) The buzz-worthy move: Denver signs S Brian Dawkins
The under-the-radar move: Denver signs CB Andre Goodman

In Dawkins, the Broncos get a 12-time Pro Bowl selection and arguably the most beloved player in Philadelphia Eagles history. In Goodman, they get a potential breakout star that, despite being 30, is on the verge of becoming one of the NFL's better cornerbacks.

After battling a laundry list of ankle, knee and shoulder issues in previous seasons, Goodman stayed healthy and started 16 games for the miracle Dolphins last season. He led Miami in interceptions and passes defended in '08. Denver's got Champ Bailey at one corner spot and spent a future first-round pick on 2009 second-round selection Alphonso Smith. But don't sleep on Goodman. He could be the brightest star of all three in '09.

NFL - Best under-the-radar moves of the offseason - FOX Sports on MSN

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
who is supposedly burning him on the Chargers?

Vincent Jackson??
For starters, yes.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Punisher
Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Quote:
9. OT Orlando Pace, Bears: The Bears believe they got this former All-Pro for a bargain at $6 million for this season. Yes, he's a bargain if he can protect Jay Cutler like he used to protect Kurt Warner in St. Louis.
Maybe the biggest signing the Bears make this off season,because if Pace plays like a Pro Bowl LT this year. Cutler and Matt Forte will both have a great year but i just don't see Devin Hester Catching Rocket Bullets.

Last edited by Punisher; 06-11-2009 at 12:18 PM..
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

1. WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Seahawks:

I don't agree at all with this one....
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
...because if Pace plays like a Pro Bowl LT this year...
Not happening.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
1. WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Seahawks:

I don't agree at all with this one....
TJ double covered = Deion Branch part 2
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Goodman bad signing AND Dawkins?....so 2 of the top 9 worse signings are by one team (out of 32)?...

we play 14 other games other than SD...so why is it Goodman gets burned by the chargers?...

obvious charger fan...

EDIT: looks like he has the dolphins listed twice too...so 4 of the worst 9 are from 2 teams?...he must be angry over the loss to Miami too...

Last edited by Gcver2ver3; 06-11-2009 at 12:37 PM..
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meanie View Post
Nine signings that GMs will regret the most
by John Czarnecki

We keep hearing that teams (well, the owners) can't wait for 2010, the so-called uncapped season, because they will use the opportunity to drastically reduce player salaries. It is the financial black cloud hanging over any future collective bargaining negotiations. The owners view it as their big hammer, the biggest negotiating tool they can use to show the players how life and a lower payroll will be without a ballooning salary cap.

Of course, the union is snickering at these claims. They don't believe the owners, many of them who want to be competitive, will be able to really control themselves. They have never shown any signs in the past. In every free-agency period, they have thrown cash around like it is Monopoly money while the players laugh all the way to the nearest bank.
They did it again this year, judging by the following this offseason's riskiest signings.

1. WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Seahawks: Yes, Housh led the Bengals last season with 92 receptions, but only for a paltry 9.8 yards a catch and four touchdowns. Yes, he is a solid receiver, but Seattle paid him like he's a No. 1 receiver, and at 32 years old he'll make $7 million. Next season the price tag rises to $8 million plus.

In a bidding war, he was able to collect $14.5 million over two seasons. The Seahawks have this thing about paying decent receivers, thinking they are as good as Larry Fitzgerald or Steve Smith. They did the same, exact thing with Deion Branch a few years back.

2. C Jake Grove, Dolphins: This ex-Oakland center and former second-round pick is a blue-collar type player, the kind that Bill Parcells loves ... when he plays, that is.

Grove missed 14 of 32 games over the last two seasons with the Raiders, yet based on that dependency he was rewarded with $14.5 million in guaranteed money. I have said all along that offensive linemen have been rewarded the most during the halcyon days of free agency. One team's good player is paid by another team as some superstar.

4. WR Michael Clayton, Buccaneers: This receiver has been a disappointment ever since his 2004 season when he was the Offensive Rookie of the Year in Tampa Bay. Yes, he has the size (6-4 and 215) to be spectacular, but he has only two touchdown catches in the last four years.

He only had 38 catches for 484 yards last year, but the Bucs were so afraid of losing him that they gave him a $26 million contract over five seasons with $10.5 million guaranteed. Clayton loves the new offense and publicly ripped into former coach Jon Gruden. Well, Clayton had better be more productive. Tampa spent way too much money on a hunch that his production fell off solely because of not seeing eye-to-eye with Gruden.

5. S Gibril Wilson, Dolphins: The Dolphins once again are going for another so-called blue-collar player who started at safety for the Giants when they beat the Patriots. But the Giants allowed him to leave to Oakland last season, where he started and collected $8.4 million in bonuses. Al Davis couldn't wait to unload him after Wilson had just two interceptions and three fumble recoveries. Wilson doesn't run well, so Miami cut his bonus down to $5 million this year.

6. RB Cedric Benson, Bengals: This running back was finally run out of Chicago after being a first-round bust, but he's apparently found a home in Cincinnati, getting $7 million over the next two seasons.

The Bengals rewarded him for three 100-yard games last season, including 171 yards against the lowly Cleveland Browns in late December. He finished the year with 25 carries for 111 yards in another win against the Chiefs. But those were two of the league's worst run defenses a year ago. Rewarding Benson doesn't make much sense based on his past indiscretions and hefty bank account. He strikes me as a pay-as-you-go kind of player.

What does Marvin Lewis do if Cedric doesn't truly show up this season?

8. C Jason Brown, Rams: The Rams are taking a lot of heat for signing this ex-Raven to a five-year, $37.5 million contract that includes $20 million in guarantees, including roster bonuses.

Remember, how financially rewarding free-agency has been to offensive linemen. Brown is only 26 and a solid 320 pounds, and the Rams, whose best player in running back Steven Jackson, were desperate for an anchor to their horrible offensive line. When you are a loser like the Rams, sometimes you have to overpay for quality.

The bottom line is that Baltimore wanted to keep him at this price. Instead, they gave perennial All-Pro Matt Birk $6 million, who was disliked by the Minnesota coaching staff, to replace him.

But what if his shoulders go out again? It's a lot of money for a former great player who started only nine games combined in the 2006-07 seasons.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...?MSNToolbar100

-------------
So let me get this straight... signing Dawkins and Goodman were bad signings? I think those are probably the 2 best signings. I guess we have to wait and see.
Huh ? since when is a possession receiver a bad deal ?
Who is your momma has 9.8 yards average ? I would take that any day of the week and twice on Sundays , specially on 3 rd downs ......8 mill for a chain mover ? .........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

More idiot sports writers
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan2438 View Post
More idiot sports writers
Ya, they're all idiots, right, every one of them, know what? Why not post some writers that think Mcdummy is a genius since coming to Denver?

I's a free forum.

Ya! Ve much teach das traitors a lesson for De Fuhrer!

Dawkins WAS an awesome saftey, behind a great front 7. He's also older than Lynch when we signed him.

Goodman? Fine, then why waste a probable top 10 on another corner in a much stronger draft?

Last edited by watermock; 06-11-2009 at 01:28 PM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Ya, they're all idiots, right, every one of them, know what? Why not post some writhers that think Mcdummy is a genius since coming to Denver?

I's a free forum.

Dawkins WAS an awesome saftey, behind a great front 7. He's also older than Lynch when we signed him.

Goodman? Fine, then why waste a probable top 10 on another corner in a much stronger draft?
You realize we get to keep our draft picks for more than one year, right?
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

[QUOTE=watermock;2441496]Ya, they're all idiots, right, every one of them, know what? Why not post some writhers that think Mcdummy is a genius since coming to Denver?

I's a free forum.

Goodman? Fine, then why waste a probable top 10 on another corner in a much stronger draft?[/QUOTE]

Exactly....especially when Champ has been so healthy the past few seasons...and since JMFW proved to be the next starting CB....
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

man, did we get any DL help yet......
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #16
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Exactly....especially when Champ has been so healthy the past few seasons...and since JMFW proved to be the next starting CB....[/QUOTE]

cmon, champs been taking on fullbacks and and pulling guards while our line watched what do you expect
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #17
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The strategy is obviously to get some young talent at DB and have the veterans teach them up. Having Champ and Dawk (arguablly 2 of the best at their positions in the NFL) and another vet in Goodman mentoring these kids is going to drastically accellerate their learning curve.

Did you see Dawk's interview? He views his role on the team as being a teacher/mentor to the rookies, along with being a team leader and playmaker. That has to be one of the best moves the FO has made this offseason.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #18
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
You realize we get to keep our draft picks for more than one year, right?
I'm floored. Really?

It's 3 years for Scheff and Marshall, that the fact, and then it's God knows what, probably an uncappped year then a lockout.

The promised recovery isn't going to happen.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #19
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
The strategy is obviously to get some young talent at DB and have the veterans teach them up. Having Champ and Dawk (arguablly 2 of the best at their positions in the NFL) and another vet in Goodman mentoring these kids is going to drastically accellerate their learning curve.

Did you see Dawk's interview? He views his role on the team as being a teacher/mentor to the rookies, along with being a team leader and playmaker. That has to be one of the best moves the FO has made this offseason.
What are Champ and Dawkins going to teach corners how to cover for 6 seconds?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #20
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I think it was more about paying them too much
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #21
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

The real point is the attitude"Just another idiot sportswriter".

It's a free forum, I suggest you post something positive besides players in goosestep.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #22
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
The real point is the attitude"Just another idiot sportswriter".

It's a free forum, I suggest you post something positive besides players in goosestep.
as long as we can stop a fat man from rolling uphill on defense this year i'll be happy
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #23
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
I'm floored. Really?

It's 3 years for Scheff and Marshall, that the fact, and then it's God knows what, probably an uncappped year then a lockout.

The promised recovery isn't going to happen.
I think you are legitimately insane. I was commenting on why the selection of Smith and the signing of goodman have little to do with each other.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #24
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Lost in all the talk about our crappy defense, AT LEAST we are bigger. I was sick of seeing our small team get pushed around. This year we have some big boys in the front 7
Old 06-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #25
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
The strategy is to get average secondary players so they can run around for 10 seconds trying to cover WRs because the DL is getting no pressure.

Dawkins is old and he wasn't a great cover safety when he was young. He was once one of the best but he isn't in the top 10 right now.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote