The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Denver Post : "Some thngs never change"

Little did Denver's defensive backs know that when they showed up for film sessions with position coach Ed Donatell, they would also be getting a history lesson.

Donatell frequently turns to the past to illustrate techniques for his current crop of players, which includes a couple of likely future Hall of Famers in Brian Dawkins and Champ Bailey and rookies such as Alphonso Smith and Darcel McBath.

"He's a guy that uses a lot of archives. He'll go back to film that's early '90s, and we'll see Jerry Rice and Tim Brown on film, and that's kind of surprising," said Andre Goodman, the projected starter at right cornerback. "He's been around a while, and he's teaching us things that, though the game has progressed a long way, there are a lot of the techniques he's had for a while that he's teaching us."

Donatell coached the Broncos' secondary from 1995-99 after a four-season stint as defensive backs coach with the Jets, and went on to defensive coordinator jobs in Green Bay and Atlanta. Last year he held that job at the University of Washington under Tyrone Willingham.

Learning from the Champ.

Smith, the team's first second-round draft pick, said he knows the best way to learn from the veterans is to watch, then repeat. For that, there has been no better example to follow than that of Bailey, Smith said.

"The thing I've learned from Champ is how patient and how calm he is. As a corner you have guys running 4.3 at your toes and some guys, as a rookie, I'll tell you, you kind of panic because I've never had guys coming up so fast," he said. "So to see Champ and how he never panics, he's just so calm, so composed every time. I tried to take that from his game and add it to mine, and try to be a smaller Champ."

Footnotes.

The team will hold its last of 11 passing camp practices today. Players are off Thursday and return Friday for a three-day mandatory camp.

Some things never change for defense - The Denver Post

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links