The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default Team of the decade by Don Banks

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ade/index.html

8th overall behind a bunch of super bowl champions and Philly. We definitely had it rough under Shanahan considering he didn't have a franchise QB at his disposal until he landed Cutler.

Oh what could have been...
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

GLORY COLORADO.

That is all.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post

8th overall behind a bunch of super bowl champions and Philly. We definitely had it rough under Shanahan considering he didn't have a franchise QB at his disposal until he landed Cutler.

And going by regular season winning %, we had the 5th best...even when turning over the roster in a very short time and horrific drafts up to 2006.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:

What could have been? Another three years of mediocre football?

Coincidence or not, from the time Cutler stepped on the field... the team stopped winning.

Shanahan decided to scrap the team and put together a one-man offensive show, and it cost him his job.

Cutler pooped himself when the playoffs were on the line this year.

Honestly, Chris. No one was a bigger fan of Shanahan than I was. But, it's time to move on.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

8th sucks, I want to be 1st
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Coincidence or not, from the time Cutler stepped on the field... the team stopped winning.

Shanahan decided to scrap the team and put together a one-man offensive show, and it cost him his job.

Honestly, Chris. No one was a bigger fan of Shanahan than I was. But, it's time to move on.
I don't buy that the next three years were going to be mediocre. I hated Slowik but one must argue that the talent he had on his side of the ball wasn't that great. 30 million this offseason to spend on free agents and a deep draft class of 4-3 DL/10th overall pick could have helped boost this bad defense to a respectable rating along with providing us a quality young runner to pair with Cutler, something he didn't have the last two years while he developed.

Cutler did the best he could with a defensive liability hanging onto him.

I don't agree that Shanahan put everything into the offense. Tim Crowder/Jarvis Moss flopped. We also had a crap load of injuries on defense and career/life ending incidents that happened to Al Wilson and Darent Williams, two of the spark plugs and leaders of our units. Ultimately we ended up having so much turnover, it's incredible that Shanahan managed to keep up by finishing at or close to .500

Cutler was the only reason we didn't finish 2-14 last season or the year before.

Careful what you wish for with a new coach. 5th in the NFL in winning percentage to the great unknown with a QB guru who has done nothing this offseason but show off his inexperience when the media pressure clamped down on him.

I'm hopeful of McDaniels but I wouldn't be surprised to see this deal collapse on top of him. I hope I'm wrong.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:

Even for you, this is rank stupidity.

But I guess this is an example of your "positive" approach huh?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
I don't buy that the next three years were going to be mediocre. I hated Slowik but one must argue that the talent he had on his side of the ball wasn't that great. .
But, you could argue that any real DC would have done better with what he had to work with. He was a disaster, and Shanahan made it clear... he was coming back.

Can you imagine going into this season with that guy running the D again? You're telling me we were going to avoid mediocrity with that guy coordinating our D?

As for the talent, Shanahan called the shots. After one of the worst defensive seasons we've ever had, his answer to solving the problems was Boss Bailey and Nikko Sucksthemostest.

Honestly? It was going to be different this year?

It amazes me that when faced with the ridiculous scenario above, some people can muster up optimism, yet they can find NONE to muster up for our current defense, which clearly looks much better on paper.

Quote:
Cutler shat the bed with the season on the line against the Bills. Great QBs win that game by themselves.

Rivers wasn't getting a lot of help against K.C., but the team got a break and Rivers pounced on every opportunity.

Quote:
I don't agree that Shanahan put everything into the offense. Tim Crowder/Jarvis Moss flopped. We also had a crap load of injuries on defense and career/life ending incidents that happened to Al Wilson and Darent Williams, two of the spark plugs and leaders of our units. Ultimately we ended up having so much turnover, it's incredible that Shanahan managed to keep up by finishing at or close to .500 .
Shanahan was a phenomenal game-planner/game-day coach. He was pretty bad at being a GM. We were as bad as any team in the league in free agency over the past decade.

You're can be impressed with Shanahan's coaching, but only because he had to coach around so many had situations that HE HIMSELF manufactured.

It's like a guy lighting his own house on fire and making it out alive. I guess it's impressive that he made it out alive, but maybe his decision-making wasn't great leading up to that moment.

Quote:
Cutler was the only reason we didn't finish 2-14 last season or the year before. .
Yea, well... I keep hearing about the drunken messiah, but last I looked... he was at the helm for our only 3-year stretch without making the playoffs since the 70s, and the franchise went directly into the ****ter from the time he took over.

All his fault? Of course not. But, maybe he's not the "franchise" QB some people think he is. Again, "franchise" QBs can manage not to poop themselves at home against the friggin' Bills with the playoffs on the line.

Quote:
Careful what you wish for with a new coach. 5th in the NFL in winning percentage to the great unknown with a QB guru who has done nothing this offseason but show off his inexperience when the media pressure clamped down on him.
Chris, does he look like a guy who gives a **** about "media pressure?" Honestly. You have the wrong dude. McDaniels will succeed or he won't, but that guy doesn't give a rat's ass about piss-ant reporters fussing with each other.

Reminds me of the last young, fiery coach we had who came in without any sort of proven track record as a head coach.... and yet, had a "my-way" approach. That last coach built a team concept that was a resounding success.

Our current coach looks to be attempting the same thing.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:23 AM   #9
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Even for you, this is rank stupidity.

But I guess this is an example of your "positive" approach huh?
Oh look, the OLC leader is here to represent!

You keep clinging to the past there, sport. Maybe you'll wake up tomorrow and Shanahan will be coach again, and we can go .500 for the rest of our lives.

Wheeeeeeeee!!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

The fact is Shanny had lost the fire and focus he had in the first years of his regime and simply could no longer inspire and fire up the troops. That was more at the core of our meidocre performances when the chips were on the line than anything else.
He could get them up for the first few games each season, but in the late years he was not able to get the players to dig down beyond them selves and play championship type ball under adversity later in the season.

he put most of his focus on Cutler as savior and his decision to keep Slowik on for another year was grounds enough to realize not much was going to change.

With a good break maybe he reclaims that passion and innovation he once had, but he needed to go.

Last edited by Hulamau; 06-10-2009 at 12:58 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I don't buy that the next three years were going to be mediocre. I hated Slowik but one must argue that the talent he had on his side of the ball wasn't that great. 30 million this offseason to spend on free agents and a deep draft class of 4-3 DL/10th overall pick could have helped boost this bad defense to a respectable rating along with providing us a quality young runner to pair with Cutler, something he didn't have the last two years while he developed.

I don't agree that Shanahan put everything into the offense. Tim Crowder/Jarvis Moss flopped. We also had a crap load of injuries on defense and career/life ending incidents that happened to Al Wilson and Darent Williams, two of the spark plugs and leaders of our units. Ultimately we ended up having so much turnover, it's incredible that Shanahan managed to keep up by finishing at or close to .500
I think you're in complete denial about how bad the team was and how hopeless the situation on defense was going to be under Shanahan. Mike killed the golden goose when he axed Coyer. Here are Shanahan's defensive rankings for his time here:
Points000Yards
1995 17 15
1996 7 4
1997 6 5
1998 8 11
1999 11 7
2000 23 24 - Greg Robinson Fired
2001 21 8
2002 15 6 - Ray Rhodes fired
2003 9 4 - Larry Coyer era begins
2004 9 4
2005 3 15
2006 8 14 - Larry Coyer era ends
2007 28 19 - Bates
2008 30 29 - Slowik

This offense went to hell once Gary Kubiak went to Houston. Before Kubiak we always had our points in the top ten. After Kubiak we never cracked the top half of the league again. Post Kubiak our winning record was exactly .500. And our special teams has been in the bottom of the league for over a decade.

But if that wasn't enough, how was getting 52 points hung on us by the Chargers on national tv? That was more than they hung on us when we lost at home the year before 3-41 or on the road 3-23. That's to say nothing of getting raped by the Patriots on MNF 7-41 or the freaking LIONS 7-44!

This little quote is priceless:
Quote:
30 million this offseason to spend on free agents and a deep draft class of 4-3 DL/10th overall pick could have helped boost this bad defense to a respectable rating along with providing us a quality young runner to pair with Cutler
Yeah! That's it! Just throw money at the problem and in one offseason it would go away! Why didn't we try that? Oh yeah, WE DID!!! Every offseason we signed everyone and their mom and threw a bunch of draft picks at the problem and it failed horribly. I love your comment about Moss and Crowder not panning out like Shanahan should get sympathy for that because they didn't when he drafted them and traded up to acquire them in the first place. That's not something we should give him a pass on, it's an indictment.

And this idea that with the money and picks we could fixed things enough is hilarious. Tell me, who would we have brought in and drafted under Shanahan that would overwhelmed the defense with so much talent that even Slowik wouldn't be able to make it suck? Who is getting this 30 million of the available players this year and who are we drafting that magically make the defense so talented even Bob Slowik, modern history's worst defensive coordinator, could not mess it up? Even if we brought anyone in, our coaching staff was so gloriously inept that anyone with any talent would have been unable to develop it at all!

And let's not forget that Slowik was Shanahan's guy. He proudly declared he would be back next season after we got embarrassed on national TV and that there would be "NO CHANGE" in the defense. This after being the first team to blow a three game division lead with the tree games to spare because we couldn't beat the crappy Buffalo Bills in our own house.

Shanahan is gone, and it's a good thing for both parties. Shanahan had lost perspective and the team was horrible. Middle of the road offense in scoring, worst defense in the league, worst defense in team history, historic records for worsts in the franchise and NFL history, horrible special teams that never got better.

The team didn't just need "a guy to fix the defense and we'd be fine". The team needed to be gutted and started anew. The entire culture and paradigm needed shifting and it has begun. Will it work? I think it might but no one really knows yet. However something new had to be done and that we're at least trying that is a step in the right direction. No more home loses. No more national embarrassment beat downs. No more finesse teams. No more football stupid players ala Jamie Winborn, or guys made of glass that someone linger on the team ala Nate Jackson. We're moving on, and I'm glad.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:10 AM   #12
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
We also had a crap load of injuries on defense and career/life ending incidents that happened to Al Wilson and Darent Williams, two of the spark plugs and leaders of our units.
Darrent Williams' death was a tragic loss, and it should never be minimized, but that doesn't mean we should exxagerate him as a player. He was never a leader or a spark plug.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:02 AM   #13
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:
But I thought McDaniels had all these great offensive tools, and that our offense won't decline without Cutler because of all the surrounding talent that is still here. I thought Cutler was going to suck this year because he has no supporting cast in Chicago? I guess with McDaniels there is talent, with Shanahan there was a one-man offensive show. Kinda like how with Shanahan if we had gone with a bunch of third string cast offs and UDFA's we would have been ignoring the line, but with McDaniels we have somehow improved.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:21 AM   #14
Meck77

Quote:

Yet wasn't.

Life is simply too short and too precious to subscribe to that philosophy. Luckily Mr. Bowlen doesn't need this book. RIP Lamar Hunt.

Last edited by Meck77; 06-10-2009 at 04:47 AM..
Meck77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 AM   #15
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInSkinland View Post
But I thought McDaniels had all these great offensive tools, and that our offense won't decline without Cutler because of all the surrounding talent that is still here. I thought Cutler was going to suck this year because he has no supporting cast in Chicago? I guess with McDaniels there is talent, with Shanahan there was a one-man offensive show. Kinda like how with Shanahan if we had gone with a bunch of third string cast offs and UDFA's we would have been ignoring the line, but with McDaniels we have somehow improved.
Busted!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:13 AM   #16
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

Quote:

You seriously believe this? Wow...I must've been watching a completely different team then you were.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #17
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:

dude, really, I'll admit the last few years have been tough. Personally I thought the hopes for Denver were looking up....Cutler got dem beedees under control and had a good year considering all the pass attempts in only his second full season. As bad as it was you got to admit that season will benefit Cutler's development.

The offense took a step foward and we had a ton of cap space for this season. We all know shanny loves to make an offseason splash. How do you know Haynesworth or some other defense center piece wasn't in the crosshairs? That instantly makes the D better ...... instantly.

Shanny's record alone says your wrong about the next three seasons.

BTW your Rivers is so much better then cutler should be changed to the Chargers are just better the Denver (currently and over the last 3 seasons) Hopefully that changes this year though I'm considering this a rebuilding season. You can't just pin a loss or a win on one player even though you seem to try frequently.

You for sure can't try to argue Orton is closer to on par with Rivers then Cutler was ...... wait, maybe you will, I'm sure Gc2vcver (or how ever the hell you spell it) will take a crack at trying ........ what an offseason.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #18
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I love how we have a goddamn article where we're ranked in the top 25% of teams for this decade, and instead of having discussion about it and celebrating that team success, it turns into a thread b****ing about the people responsible for it.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #19
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I love how we have a goddamn article where we're ranked in the top 25% of teams for this decade, and instead of having discussion about it and celebrating that team success, it turns into a thread b****ing about the people responsible for it.
Some people are like the jilted lover in fatal attraction. What can you do?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Some people are like the jilted lover in fatal attraction. What can you do?
My approach?

1.Treat it as a social site and keep in touch with e-friends.
2. Avoid "football discussion" like the plague until we have an actual product at camp.
4. Profit
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #21
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

1 playoff win in a decade and we are the 8th best team? Really? Amazing.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #22
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
1 playoff win in a decade and we are the 8th best team? Really? Amazing.
It's a good thing Jake Plummer and that 70% win record carried the rest of the decade. Those were good times. I don't care what any of you internet opinions say about Griese or Cutler. Those were tough times. No matter how you slice it Mile High was rocking with Jake, the team played their asses off, and we sniffed a Superbowl. Ah the good ole days. We'll get back there eventually.

Yeah yeah I know. Jay Cutler>Jake Plummer. Tell that to the record books and the fans that sat in the stands watching Griese, Plummer, and Cutler. You'll find most people that attended games in that era are appreciative of that run we had regardless of who was QB, who was to blame for the 2005 AFC west championship loss etc.

I can honestly say I'm glad that we got rid of the double chin drunk whiner no matter how much raw talent he had. I tend to believe that 50% or more of this game is attitude/leadership which Jake made up for even though he sucked at times. On the flip side Cutler was the type to lay blame on others. **** him.

Besides Jay Cutler is physically damaged goods in several ways. Mark my words. I doubt you'll even be hearing much about Jay in a couple years.

Last edited by Meck77; 06-10-2009 at 10:14 AM..
Meck77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #23
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:

Exactly. Mike was a great, great coach but he simply had his hand in too many cookie jars and was more worried about getting jobs for his friends. I think that became pretty clear when he effectively cut off Jim Bates' (a proven and respected DC) balls 6 weeks into the 2007 season, but was willing to give Bob Slowik (a DC who was proven to suck, but Shanny's friend) another year after the defense was far worse.

Like you, I was a huge Shanahan fan and ever greatful for the Super Bowl wins, but he dropped the ball in a major way.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #24
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

1 playoff win in 10 years!

How the hell did we end up 8th?
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #25
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
But I thought McDaniels had all these great offensive tools.
He does have some. So did Cutler. The result? Three of total mediocrity.

Quote:
B our offense won't decline without Cutler.
I never said that. It may not, but I never said that.

Keep up.