The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default OT: Disturbing Tasing Story

So, I get a call today from an employee, saying that one of her family members was tased on his way home from a family wedding, and that he had somehow been hurt. She didn't know how badly he was hurt.

I hear "tased," and I automatically think of the "Don't tase me, bro!" clown. So, I don't think it's all that big of a deal.

Well, the kid died. Anyone want to speculate how someone could die from being tased? I hope they have a video of what happened. Something isn't right.

What a sad, horrible story - his poor wife and children!

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6764721

Son of KSL editorial director dies after tased by police

June 9th, 2009 @ 4:35pm
By John Hollenhorst

WASHINGTON COUNTY -- A 32-year-old man died Tuesday afternoon after he was tased by a Hurricane police officer.

Brian Cardall, son of KSL's Editorial Director Duane Cardall and his wife, who is six months pregnant, were traveling south on State Road 59 just outside of Hurricane after visiting his family in Salt Lake City.

According to his wife, Cardall, who has a recent history of mental illness, was having an episode prompting them to pull over to medicate.

Once stopped, Cardall got out of the vehicle and began to run down the road.

His wife called 911.

Not long after, she found out he had been tased and was unresponsive.

CPR was administered on scene. Cardall was taken to the Dixie Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

The Washington County Sheriff's Office is investigating.

In a press release on its website, the Sheriff's office writes:

Police and medical personnel responded to a call for assistance with an agitated subject on State Route 59 this afternoon in Washington County. During the incident, a Hurricane City Police Officer deployed a taser and the subject lost consciousness. The subject was treated within moments by EMS personnel, but was pronounced dead after being transported to the hospital.

Cardall was a doctoral candidate in biology at Northern Arizona University.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

very sad hope the best for his family
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

This does not surprise me. I heard since 2000 roughly 200 people have died by being tasered. They aren't as harmless as people think.

Sadly, Canada has taken half their tasers off the force. When i read the story I was pretty happy thinking "well atleast someone gets it". Then I read the reason they were taking them off and it was because they "were not strong enough".
BABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

Wow, that is terrible.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

They, law enforcement, as a whole do not care.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Wow ......there is nothing no one can say , except I hope Justice gets served ....... If the cop isnt at fault , I hope the clearing of his name helps him cope with what happened
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Police accross the country have been fighting public perception of tasers as dangerous, but the fact is they are, and they should be banned from police forces IMO. Deadly force should not happen by accident.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Police accross the country have been fighting public perception of tasers as dangerous, but the fact is they are, and they should be banned from police forces IMO. Deadly force should not happen by accident.
I am the same guy that compared Cops to terrorist , so I am far from a cop sympathizer , in fact when things go bad , first I blame is a cop , but man we cant completely disarm them .........
Old 06-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I don't understand why he was tased in the first place..am i missing something?!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
I don't understand why he was tased in the first place..am i missing something?!
Well they were responding to an agitated person running down the road/highway. I'm sure the guy running didn't stop when told to by the police, and he probably ignored them all together. So instead of letting this guy continue to run off posibly causing harm to himself or others, they tased him to contain him. I would like to think that the officer had no intention of killing the guy.

Cops can't win for nothing. First they can't shoot their guns unless it is just absolutly unavoidable, so they give them taser guns and now they are looked down apon for using them. Seriously, it must just suck to be a law enforcement officer these days.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
I am the same guy that compared Cops to terrorist , so I am far from a cop sympathizer , in fact when things go bad , first I blame is a cop , but man we cant completely disarm them .........
I agree, but here's the thing; the use of a gun has predictable results, and most cops know what they can do with a night stick. The problem with tasers is, you really have no idea what will happen if you use it. Cops did without them before they were invented, so I don't see removing them as a problem for them. I have an ex-girlfriend who teaches police departments in Illinois how to handle mentally ill people, and part of her training invovles getting police to recognize signs of mental illness as opposed to aggression. This is probably a great idea on a wider scale.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
Well they were responding to an agitated person running down the road/highway. I'm sure the guy running didn't stop when told to by the police, and he probably ignored them all together. So instead of letting this guy continue to run off posibly causing harm to himself or others, they tased him to contain him. I would like to think that the officer had no intention of killing the guy.

Cops can't win for nothing. First they can't shoot their guns unless it is just absolutly unavoidable, so they give them taser guns and now they are looked down apon for using them. Seriously, it must just suck to be a law enforcement officer these days.
Why couldn't they chase him down on foot and tackle him or something...why use the taser gun..unless he was being agressive towards the officers it makes no sense and an obvious over use of power!!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Why couldn't they chase him down on foot and tackle him or something...why use the taser gun..unless he was being agressive towards the officers it makes no sense and an obvious over use of power!!
Ok, so they chase him down and tackle him. During the fight, this guy pulls out a gun and shoots one of the officers eventually killng him. It is much easier for an officer to subdue a person after being hit with a taser than taking a risk on tackling them in the unknown.

Law enforcement people do not have it easy on their jobs. It's damn if they do and damn if they don't.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #14
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I agree, but here's the thing; the use of a gun has predictable results, and most cops know what they can do with a night stick. The problem with tasers is, you really have no idea what will happen if you use it. Cops did without them before they were invented, so I don't see removing them as a problem for them. I have an ex-girlfriend who teaches police departments in Illinois how to handle mentally ill people, and part of her training invovles getting police to recognize signs of mental illness as opposed to aggression. This is probably a great idea on a wider scale.
I agree 100%
Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Ok, so they chase him down and tackle him. During the fight, this guy pulls out a gun and shoots one of the officers eventually killng him. It is much easier for an officer to subdue a person after being hit with a taser than taking a risk on tackling them in the unknown.

Law enforcement people do not have it easy on their jobs. It's damn if they do and damn if they don't.
what happens if the cop chases this guy down and sprains an ankle in the process ? or worse yet , gets turf toe ?
WTF is that ? seriously , you take on certain jobs , you know the risk , I have to leave out for Texas in the morning , I could get killed in wreck ........ Damn dude grow up
Old 06-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #16
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

It was an over use of power...this guy must be Batman if he can some how bust out a gun while in the process of being tackled...a taser gun was a little much IMO!!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #17
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
what happens if the cop chases this guy down and sprains an ankle in the process ? or worse yet , gets turf toe ?
WTF is that ? seriously , you take on certain jobs , you know the risk , I have to leave out for Texas in the morning , I could get killed in wreck ........ Damn dude grow up
Yeah that made absolutly no sense whatsoever. Yes everyone knows the risks involved in their jobs. But using your logic, you shouldn't take every step possible to make it as safe as possible. Law enforcement officer, or truck driver. Yeah, your job is way more life threatening and is somewhere along the same lines. So grow up? Yeah, maybe you should.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #18
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
It was an over use of power...this guy must be Batman if he can some how bust out a gun while in the process of being tackled...a taser gun was a little much IMO!!
It may have been. But then again, I'm not a cop doing this job and I wasn't there on that call. It's easy to sit back and call over use of power from the safty of your chair.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Yeah that made absolutly no sense whatsoever. Yes everyone knows the risks involved in their jobs. But using your logic, you shouldn't take every step possible to make it as safe as possible. Law enforcement officer, or truck driver. Yeah, your job is way more life threatening and is somewhere along the same lines. So grow up? Yeah, maybe you should.
making it safe ? if this guy was armed goof , he would have shown his weapon, long before any chase begins , ......... and yes my Job is very dangerous , a king pin , a tierod , blown tire ,Changing lanes to fast , someone not paying attention etc ....... you just stay your your cubical ..............
Old 06-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #20
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Great Bronco been watching too much TV
Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #21
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

This was in the same general area as the incident below, about a year ago. Watch this one, and tell me the police officer was within his rights.

I don't doubt that a cop's job is hard. And I really don't doubt that the vast majority of them are honorable, decent people. But the ones that aren't really reflect poorly on the profession.

DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #22
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Check it out, the guy was a doctoral candidate. The last thing he is, is irrational. Some cops get drunk with power and are worse than the criminals that terrorize us. These guys need to be eucated on evaluating a situation and taking appropriate action. To many times it seems they are faciast robots that think the most harmless old lady needs to be blinded with lights, while they have their hand on their gun itching for her to "break protocol" so they can have a reason pump her full of lead.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #23
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post
Check it out, the guy was a doctoral candidate.
According to his wife, Cardall, who has a recent history of mental illness, was having an episode prompting them to pull over to medicate.

And he also has a history of mental illness. Regardless, I haven't seen a video of it, and I can't view the other one posted here either so I can't comment on that. But like I said, it's very easy to just sit in the comfort of your home or at work and screem 'abuse of power'. I mean it very well might have been. But some of you make it out that law enforcement officers shouldn't be able to do anything.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #24
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Wait till obama unleashes his 1 million man security force.

THAT was a campaign promise.

Last edited by watermock; 06-09-2009 at 11:43 PM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #25
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
making it safe ? if this guy was armed goof , he would have shown his weapon, long before any chase begins , ......... and yes my Job is very dangerous , a king pin , a tierod , blown tire ,Changing lanes to fast , someone not paying attention etc ....... you just stay your your cubical ..............

Sounds like maybe you just need to learn how to drive. And I don't work in a cubical, but thanks for showing your ignorance once again.