The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default Walter Football Hates McD

2009 NFL Season Preview:

Veteran Additions:
QB Kyle Orton, QB Chris Simms, RB Correll Buckhalter, RB LaMont Jordan, WR Jabar Gaffney, OT Brandon Gorin, DE/NT Ronald Fields, DT Darrell Reid, ILB Andra Davis, ILB Nick Greisen, CB Andre' Goodman, FS Brian Dawkins, FS Renaldo Hill.
Draft Picks:
RB Knowshon Moreno, DE Robert Ayers, CB Alphonso Smith, FS Darcel McBath, TE Dick Quinn, FS David Bruton, G Seth Olsen, WR Kenny McKinley, QB Tom Brandstater.
Offseason Losses:
QB Jay Cutler, QB Patrick Ramsey, QB Darrell Hackney, RB Tatum Bell, RB J.J. Arrington, RB Selvin Young, RB P.J. Pope, RB Anthony Alridge, RB Michael Pittman, WR Darrell Jackson, WR Glenn Martinez, TE Nate Jackson, TE Chad Mustard, OT Erik Pears, C Tom Nalen, DE Ebenezer Ekbuan, DE John Engelberger, DT Dewayne Robertson, DT Josh Shaw, OLB Jamie Winborn, ILB Nate Webster, ILB Niko Koutouvides, CB Dre Bly, CB Karl Paymah, FS Marlon McCree, SS Marquand Manuel.

2009 Denver Broncos Offense:
You know the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" Well, Josh McDaniels apparently lives by a different mantra: "If it ain't broke, make it worse. And if it is broke, don't fix it. Oh, and make sure you surrender future first-round picks so you can draft crappy players who don't fit your system."

I've been covering the NFL for nearly 10 years on this Web site, and I've seen coaches, GMs and owners do really stupid things - but not nearly as dumb as the stuff McDaniels pulled this offseason. From attempting to downgrade the quarterback position with a system player, to pissing off the franchise player, to alienating the fan base, to pissing off the franchise player even more, to actually downgrading the quarterback position by trading a top-notch signal caller for peanuts, to giving away a possible top-five pick for a nickel corner, to neglecting to fix one of the worst defenses in the NFL, McDaniels must have set a record for ineptitude.

Jay Cutler is gone and Kyle Orton is here. The few Denver fans who backed this silly Cutler-Orton deal are just about to see the difference between an elite talent and a system guy with no arm. Sure, Cutler threw a lot of interceptions last year (18) - way mo than Orton's 12 - but Cutler's interception percentage (2.9%) was pretty identical to Orton's (2.6%) because Cutler was forced to throw a ton, thanks to his horrifically inept defense. Orton has never been asked to play in shootouts or come from behind. Orton has always had a very capable defense at the very least in Chicago, so I'll be shocked if we don't see his pick total soar to about 20.

If the downgrade at the quarterback position wasn't enough, there's a chance Brandon Marshall could be suspended for a few games. The ultra-talented wideout (104 catches, 1,265 yards, 6 TDs) was arrested in March and is being charged with misdemeanor battery. We won't know Marshall's fate until August.

But it's not all negative for the Broncos. McDaniels made at least one great selection in the 2009 NFL Draft. Knowshon Moreno has the skills and the talent around him to lead in the league in yards from scrimmage. A three-down back, Moreno will catch a ton of passes from the weak-armed Orton. He also has the luxury of running behind one of the premier offensive lines in the NFL; the front five, led by left tackle Ryan Clady (gave up 0.5 sacks as a rookie) surrendered just 12 sacks in 2008 and allowed a slew of mediocre running backs to average 4.8 yards a pop.

In addition to Moreno and Marshall, Orton will also have second-year wideout Eddie Royal and tight end Tony Scheffler at his disposal. As a mere rookie, Royal caught 91 passes for 980 yards, while Scheffler chipped in with 40 grabs for 645 yards. For fantasy purposes, it kind of makes you wish that the Broncos had someone who could get them the ball downfield consistently, huh?

2009 Denver Broncos Defense:
And now we're at the "If it's broke, don't fix it" part. The Broncos arguably had the worst defense in the NFL last year. They weren't dead last against the run (29th) or the pass (also 29th), but they completely melted down during the stretch, surrendering 112 points in a three-game span that decided their fate.

Instead of adding talent to the stop unit, McDaniels spent the entire offseason attempting to downgrade the quarterback position, changing the defensive scheme to an unfamiliar 3-4, acquiring old washed-up veterans and drafting players who don't fit the 3-4.

Good defenses can get to the quarterback, defend the pass and stop the run. The Broncos couldn't do any of those last year. As mentioned, they were pitiful versus the rush and pass. Meanwhile, their sack total stood at a pathetic 26, as no player had more than five sacks (Elvis Dumervil and Ebenezer Ekbuan). Unfortunately, Ekuban is gone, while Dumervil and the disappointing third-year Jarvis Moss (four career sacks) have to transition to the 3-4.

With quarterback pressure once again an issue, Denver's secondary could match the YPA it surrendered in 2008 (7.7). Cornerbacks Champ Bailey and Andre' Goodman are skilled players, but both will be 31 once the season starts. At safety, the Broncos have Brian Dawkins (36 in October) and Renaldo Hill (31 in November). It doesn't take a football guru to realize that four old defensive backs are going to struggle if the front seven can't get to the quarterback consistently. The Broncos have young secondary players in reserve (Alphonso Smith, Darcel McBath and David Bruton) but the three likely won't be ready for full-time NFL action until 2010.

As you can guess, the team's rush defense once again will be an issue. Denver's new three-man line is comprised of nose tackle Ronald Fields, a marginal player who couldn't even start for the 49ers; 3-4 end Robert Ayers, an undersized rookie who doesn't fit the system; and 3-4 end Ryan "The Magic" McBean, who has participated in just one NFL game. Ouch.

With perhaps the league's worst defensive line, inside linebackers D.J. Williams and Andra Davis will have to take on way too many blockers to make plays. Williams is a really talented player, but he won't have any help. Davis, meanwhile, really struggled in Cleveland last season. The Browns didn't even want to bring him back, yet he's starting for McDaniels. That should tell you how truly awful this defense is.

2009 Denver Broncos Schedule and Intangibles:
Freezing temperatures and thin air should create a hostile environment for opponents, which explains why Denver had an NFL-best 70-18 home record from 1995 to 2005. However, the team is just 13-11 as hosts the past three seasons. Is the Mile High magic dead? It certainly appeared that way when the Bills came into Denver and beat the Broncos in a must-win game in Week 16.

Jason Elam is gone, and it's safe to say that Broncos fans really missed him last year. Matt Prater established himself as one of the league's worst kickers, missing a field goal in all but one of his final nine games in 2008. Going into the 2008 campaign, Prater was just 1-of-4 in his career, so this had "fail" written all over it from the beginning.

Brett Kern averaged 46.7 yards per punt, which is usually a good number, but fairly easy to maintain in Denver. Kern dropped just 13 kicks inside the 20, however.

Eddie Royal couldn't score a punt or a kick return touchdown, but his averages (10.0, 26.1 respectively) were really decent. He could break one in 2009. Unfortunately, the Broncos surrendered two returns themselves, which gives them a total of five in the past two seasons. That's not good.

The Broncos open up against Cincinnati, Cleveland, Oakland and Dallas, but things get much more difficult after that. Check out their next seven games: New England, at San Diego, at Baltimore, Pittsburgh, at Washington, San Diego and New York Giants. Denver also has battles at Indianapolis in Week 14 and at Philadelphia in Week 16. Godspeed, Mr. McDaniels.

2009 Denver Broncos Positional Rankings (1-5 stars):

Quarterbacks

Offensive Line

Secondary

Running Backs

Defensive Line

Special Teams

Receivers

Linebackers

Coaching

2009 Denver Broncos Analysis: A year ago, I picked the Broncos to go 9-7, tying them for first in the AFC West. I was excited about the fact that Jay Cutler finally had his condition under control, and I was confident he would establish himself among the league's top signal-callers.

Cutler managed to do so, but was betrayed by his defense in the final three weeks of the season. Cutler was then betrayed by Josh McDaniels and rightfully asked for a trade.

Now that Cutler's gone, the Broncos have a pretty mediocre offense to match their pathetic defense. This team seems destined to finish in the NFL's cellar. Too bad its probable top-five selection will belong to Seattle.

Projection: 4-12 (TBA in AFC West)

Click Here Quantcast

2009 NFL Draft Grade:

John Clayton said it best: "Josh McDaniels doesn't have a grasp on how to build a team."

McDaniels had a franchise quarterback and shipped him away for what turned out to be Kyle Orton, Robert Ayers, Alphonso Smith and Richard Quinn.

Speaking of Ayers, how does he fit into the 3-4? This is why putting together a logical mock draft is futile; Ayers, a 4-3 guy, could be lost in Denver's scheme. Does he balloon up and play up front? Does he somehow play rush linebacker even though he couldn't get sacks in college? Does McDaniels even know he's running a 3-4?

McDaniels traded both of his third-round picks to move up to No. 64, where he took a blocking tight end. A freaking blocking tight end!

McDaniels also failed to address the defensive line. Denver should once again rank dead last versus the run.

And to top it off, McDaniels traded away next year's first-round pick to move up for Alphonso Smith. Smith will play nickel in 2009, while the Seahawks will likely be drafting in the top five next April.

Grade given on 4/27/09: D

2009 NFL Draft Picks:

12. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
With Tyson Jackson and B.J. Raji off the board, the Broncos didn't have many options here. They took the best player available in Knowshon Moreno. Denver's defense will continue to be epically horrific, but once again, Denver didn't have much of a choice. (Pick Grade: A)

18. Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
I don't like this at all. Robert Ayers is a 1-year starter who wasn't nearly as productive as some of the other first-round prospects in this class. Ayers isn't a natural fit for the 3-4. Does he balloon up and play on the line? Do you play him at rush linebacker and get debacled in coverage? Then again, this pick was made by the same man who wanted a system quarterback over Jay Cutler. (Pick Grade: C)

37. Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
Alphonso Smith is an OK pick. I don't know what the Broncos plan on doing with their defensive line. The reason for the F? Denver gave up a 2010 first-round pick! If it was Denver's choice and not Chicago's, the Seahawks could be picking in the top five next April. (Pick Grade: F)

48. Darcel McBath, FS, Texas Tech
I guess you can never have too many defensive backs, eh? The Broncos needed a free safety to take over for Brian Dawkins in a year or two, but I really have to wonder what they're going to do with their defensive line. (Pick Grade: B)

64. Richard Quinn, TE, North Carolina
Yet another confusing move by Josh McDaniels, who moved up into this selection. You don't take a blocking tight end in the second round, especially when you have huge holes on your defensive line. It's amazing to me that some teams just don't understand the concept of positional value. I don't care if Quinn becomes a very good player; this selection deserves a Z- because blocking tight ends should never go over defensive linemen in Round 2. (Pick Grade: Z-)

114. David Bruton, FS, Notre Dame
Another defensive back, Josh? I like David Bruton, but it's very apparent that Josh McDaniels has absolutely no idea how to put an NFL team together. What are the Broncos going to do with their defensive line? (Pick Grade: C)

132. Seth Olsen, G, Iowa
Adding offensive line depth is never a bad idea. Reaching for prospects and ignoring the defensive line? That's another story. (Pick Grade: D)

141. Kenny McKinley, WR, South Carolina
Josh McDaniels is either really smart by finding these unknown players who are being considered reaches right now... or he'll be fired by Jan. 1, 2011. I'll lay -200 on the latter. (Pick Grade: D)

174. Tom Brandstater, QB, Fresno State
Josh McDaniels finds his developmental quarterback. I have no problem with this draft choice. (Pick Grade: B)

225. Blake Schlueter, C, TCU
No draft value here, but the Broncos needed a zone-blocking center. (Pick Grade: B)
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

I will be holding onto this article and sending it his way in November

the way he is talking the team is going to go 1-15
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

This guy is an idiot... Once I read him stating Brandon Marshall might get suspended, I quit reading this.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Footsteps will be hear to tell us all what a brilliant read this is very shortly. Then BPC will say it's the best thing he's read in a month.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Why do these articles never bring up the part about the player acted like a baby over the whole thing and that his agent is known for causing trouble. Do I blame McD some of course but, to put it all on him like him or not is dumb.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
2009 Denver Broncos Offense:
You know the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"
made it that far.

16th in scoring for as many yards as we got last year is broken.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

That was ****ing awesome

I almost pee'd myself reading that ****
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Yet another confusing move by Josh McDaniels, who moved up into this selection. You don't take a blocking tight end in the second round, especially when you have huge holes on your defensive line. It's amazing to me that some teams just don't understand the concept of positional value. I don't care if Quinn becomes a very good player; this selection deserves a Z- because blocking tight ends should never go over defensive linemen in Round 2. (Pick Grade: Z-)

114. David Bruton, FS, Notre Dame
Another defensive back, Josh? I like David Bruton, but it's very apparent that Josh McDaniels has absolutely no idea how to put an NFL team together. What are the Broncos going to do with their defensive line? (Pick Grade: C)
So bloggers who basically parrot McShay and Kiper know how to put together NFL teams?

Someone should keep a favorites folder of all these "sky is falling" articles, so they can be reposted later.

Also, if someone turns into a great player that fills a need and saves cap space, who cares about positional value? This writer is a joke.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I love seeing the pressure ratcheted up. Get used to it guys. McDaniels has a lot to prove. Its sink or swim. He brought a lot of this on himself.

BTW, its also kind of fun to watch some of you get all bent out of shape when someone says something negative about your beloved McDaniels.

Last edited by lex; 06-09-2009 at 01:42 PM..
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

What an idiot. Ayers projects as an OLB in a 3-4 just fine. Again, check out Merriman's measurables and compare them to Ayers, there's a lot of similarities. Sure, Merriman has a good dline in front of him and that does make a big difference. But this Broncos defense is a work in progress and Ayers will definitely create some mismatches.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
I love seeing the pressure ratcheted up. Get used to it guys. McDaniels has a lot to prove. Its sink or swim. He brought a lot of this on himself.
Brought a lot of what exactly? The only real controversial thing that happened this off season is the cutler fiasco and, im sorry, thats on the a-hole who complained and gothis feelings hurt. **** that guy.

As far as changingthe offense...well McD was hired to bring in his offense.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

not to mention, he makes Orton's arm sound like Pennington's...its not. Its also kind of funny that he mentions wishing the broncos had a QB that could get the ball downfield to Royal and then posts Royals stats that prove Cutler didnt exactly get the ball downfield to him. He certainly did overthrow him some though
Old 06-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Once it used the word "crappy" you can no longer consider it an objective resource.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Oh my...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Whats funny, and what the McDaniels lovers probably dont realize, is that this stuff could actually get a lot worse. If things dont go well this year, dont be surprised if the media comes down on McDaniels like a ton of bricks. Some of you better start getting your McDaniels apologies and your excuses ready now.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #16
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Whats funny, and what the McDaniels lovers probably dont realize, is that this stuff could actually get a lot worse. If things dont go well this year, dont be surprised if the media comes down on McDaniels like a ton of bricks. Some of you better start getting your McDaniels apologies and your excuses ready now.
What you keep forgetting is most of us "mcdaniels lovers" have a adopted a wait and see approach...not a hes clearly doing the right thing approach.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #17
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:

two important words
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #18
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Haven't several people squatted over the forum and pooped out this thing already?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #19
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Fug the media, shythead....

McD is building his team and he gets two years to show substantial progress. Can't handle that? Go watch the Bears or the mullets......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #20
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
two important words

Yup. It seems like its going to be all or nothing. He is either going to be a glorious success or a colossal failure. It doesnt seem like there is going to be acknowledgement of anything in between based on the way some are entrenching themselves. Like I said, McDaniels has a lot to prove out of the gate.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #21
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
I'm onboard with McD because he's our coach now. I think he deserves time to prove himself. Do I like everything he's done NO but, thats true with whoever we hired. Even though I'm onboard with McD's I do have doubts being a 1st timer HC. I realize we could have a few BAD years but, our owner knows this team has alot to work ahead so unless the fans don't show up in droves all this talk on the net means nothing. I don't care who's right about McD the best thing for the Broncos is not switching coaches every two years.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #22
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
This guy is an idiot... Once I read him stating Brandon Marshall might get suspended, I quit reading this.
I quit reading it the second he used the word "crappy". A good journalist/reporter has a better vocabulary than that.

Since I am neither a journalist or a reporter, I can say his assessment is crappy without damaging my credibility!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
You sound real hopeful, kid.

Hopefully things will go right for you, and the team will fail.

Hey, maybe you and Rush Limbaugh can get together and wish failure on us together?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #24
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Brought a lot of what exactly? The only real controversial thing that happened this off season is the cutler fiasco and, im sorry, thats on the a-hole who complained and gothis feelings hurt. **** that guy.

As far as changingthe offense...well McD was hired to bring in his offense.
The only real controversial thing is the Cutler fiasco? Dude, you are so far out of touch with reality it is 'reediculous'.

Switching to a 3-4 is controversial at this point in time.
Burning a #1 from next year is controversial
Spending a 1st on a RB instead of DL is controversial
Signing an aging safety is controversial
Signing the richest long snapping contract when you had Leech is controversial

The list goes on and on.

Hopefully these moves will all work out and Josh will be proven right...but it is all VERY much controversial.

McDaniels has earned every bit of this criticism. He will need to win very quickly to justify himself as a HC....

All ya'll that want to go skipping through the fields picking tulips, fine....but acting like he has made these fantastic moves that are above critique is idiotic.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #25
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I'm onboard with McD because he's our coach now. I think he deserves time to prove himself. Do I like everything he's done NO but, thats true with whoever we hired. Even though I'm onboard with McD's I do have doubts being a 1st timer HC. I realize we could have a few BAD years but, our owner knows this team has alot to work ahead so unless the fans don't show up in droves all this talk on the net means nothing. I don't care who's right about McD the best thing for the Broncos is not switching coaches every two years.
No whats best is to find the right coach even if that means switching coaches every two years.

Im not on board with McDaniels. Even though I hate his offense, Im slightly more optimistic than I was because it looks like theres going to be a greater dedication to the run (and I like Nolan better than Slowik and the position coaches better). I felt we lost our way with the running game the past few years. I didnt like the hire to begin with and also I havent liked a lot of things that have transpired since he has been here. Again, he has a lot to prove. But like you say, theres nothing that can be done now. Our owner has already thrown us under the bus where the coach is concerned.

Its kind of win-win for me. If we win, fine. If we lose, its going to be entertaining watching all the Il Duce apologists kick into overdrive.

Last edited by lex; 06-09-2009 at 02:25 PM..