The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: IF Brandon Marshall is Indeed Holding Out, is he going about it the right way?
Yes, Keep it in house, between the team and his agent. 6 35.29%
No, No excuse for holding out (period). Especially with his off-field issues. 6 35.29%
No, If he expects to gain anything from holding out, Go Ocho Stinko on the Broncos. 1 5.88%
Who do you think you are to start a poll... Only Dortoh has that right. 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default If Brandon Marshall IS Holding Out...

He is doing it the right way. Klis might be reporting it and trying to make it into a story. But, ESPN and the NFL Network aren't running with it which is a big deal.

Brandon had an interview about a week and a half ago in which he revealed, "If it were the Superbowl I'd be good to go", and then he smiled and said... "Oh, I've given you guys too much already." Is he hinting at a hold out?

I think we'll know by the end of this weekend. Personally, I hope he shows up AND I hope the team locks him up long term. I wouldn't be shocked or upset if he held out. He's been very productive on the field. The off the field problems will give us a buyer's discount too.

Brandon shows up to camp and the Broncos put the finishing touches on a 6 year $42m contract with $15m in bonuses. Considering he is easily a top 10 WR and could easily climb into the top 5, I think $7m per season is a bargain. IMO, he isn't Larry Fitzgerald, but he isn't $3m per year behind him either. Boldin will probably end up with a larger contract than BMarsh, and I'd take BMarsh over Boldin (who I respect immensely) any day.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Broncoman13; 06-09-2009 at 06:07 AM..
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

You think McDaniels/Bowlen are going to give into a Brandon's demands? Especially considering his track record off the field and Josh probably feeling like he can plug just about anybody in anywhere, I say no way. He holds out, he doesn't play in 09'.

Edited to add: I love me some B-Marsh, but he is no Boldin...yet.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinal11 View Post
You think McDaniels/Bowlen are going to give into a Brandon's demands? Especially considering his track record off the field and Josh probably feeling like he can plug just about anybody in anywhere, I say no way. He holds out, he doesn't play in 09'.
STONED.

Marshall is not holding out. If nothing else, he'll be at camp and play under his existing contract.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

With his off the field issues and the change in the FO this season it is a very bad time for a hold out. I agree he deserves more money, and approve of keeping it in house, but this is not the season (if there ever is a season) to do it IMHO. I would hold off on a hold out until the danger of being suspended for 8 games passed a little further and the FO became more stable.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInSkinland View Post
With his off the field issues and the change in the FO this season it is a very bad time for a hold out. I agree he deserves more money, and approve of keeping it in house, but this is not the season (if there ever is a season) to do it IMHO. I would hold off on a hold out until the danger of being suspended for 8 games passed a little further and the FO became more stable.
Agreed. It may be, however that this is just a shot accross the bows, and he'll turn up to camp having made his point.....a short holdout this season could help serve warning that he's prepared for a big one next season......

Although it could also be that I'm trying desperately to convince myself that this isn't going to blow up into a big ugly mess like the Jay saga did...ho hum....
chrisp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

See I think he kind of has the Broncos in a tough spot right now. The Broncos just lost their "Face of the Franchise" player in Jay Cutler. They have been BOMBED publicly for the botched trade attempt and what ultimately led to the unprecedented trade of a 25 year old Pro Bowl QB. So now, you are left with Brandon Marshall as the marquee offensive player for the Broncos. Yes, they have Eddie Royal and Ryan Clady, both outstanding talents in their own right, but neither have the national recognition of Brandon Marshall or the selling power for that matter.

Anyhow, the way I see it. The Broncos cannot afford to ruin their public image anymore. The Broncos have been running with the team first motto and a contract holdout certainly doesn't fit into that concept, which is even more reason to keep it quiet and between the team and the agent/player. The Broncos don't want anymore national media attention shining the spotlight on their rookie coach. I could see BMarsh's agent saying, Okay, we'll keep it quiet but Brandon ain't showing up until something gets done. Your team's doctors could have cost him a career by not properly diagnosing his hip injury. We're not going to subject him to that type of potential career threatening injury, without some long term security.

That is a likely scenario. Can the Broncos afford not to "cave" to his demands given what transpired with Cutler? I think they give in to him and pay him... with a buyer's protection clause and discount due to the off-field issues.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInSkinland View Post
Yeah, like until next season, if at all. If Marshall recovers fully from his hip (and arm) and plays well and stays out of trouble this year, McD will make him a very rich man, regardless of the collective bargaining agreement loop hole.

Asking now and pleading his case directly to McD is fine, they know he has a squeaky wheel and wont over look it when they have one season of him being a team player and healthy on this team.

But to try and force a hold out now with all the change and the Cutler pout fest, just when the entire team is buying into the team concept in a big way would show a degree of hubris and stupidity that I hope B-Marsh has gone beyond.

Go out and prove you can do it in this system without Cutler locking onto your nearly every pass play, that your body is sound and this new girlfriend isn't going to be another Payton Place episode and he wont even have to ask. They will lock him before FA next year.

I think Brandon and his agent are smarter than that ... I sure hope so!
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Where is the suggestion that says he's not holdnt out at all?
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Yeah, like until next season, if at all. If Marshall recovers fully from his hip (and arm) and plays well and stays out of trouble this year, McD will make him a very rich man, regardless of the collective bargaining agreement loop hole.

Asking now and pleading his case directly to McD is fine, they know he has a squeaky wheel and wont over look it when they have one season of him being a team player and healthy on this team.

But to try and force a hold out now with all the change and the Cutler pout fest, just when the entire team is buying into the team concept in a big way would show a degree of hubris and stupidity that I hope B-Marsh has gone beyond.

Go out and prove you can do it in this system without Cutler locking onto your nearly every pass play, that your body is sound and this new girlfriend isn't going to be another Payton Place episode and he wont even have to ask. They will lock him before FA next year.

I think Brandon and his agent are smarter than that ... I sure hope so!

Good post, I hope you're right as well. Financially, we could probably get Brandon for a better price right now. If he goes for 1400 yards and 10 TDs in McD's pass happy offense, we're going to end up paying him $10m per.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
...I think they give in to him and pay him...
I don't know. If they do it the "Patriot way" they probably won't. The Pats have some history of not "giving in". The most notable examples that immediately come to mind are Deion Branch, Asante Samuel, and currently Vince Wilfork. And because of Brandon's off field issues and current injury issues I think the Broncos have good leverage. That being said, they may actually be wise to lock him up now because if he has another great year he could really break the bank!
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #11
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

They may want to test the waters a bit more at the moment and see what kind of commitment he has to showing up and playing even without a contract. and also confirm his hip is working out in training camp and then sign him up before the season starts.

That would make sense.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #12
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Let's hope Brandon feels the same way Logan Mankins does...

New England Patriots offensive guard Logan Mankins is entering the final year of his contract after being drafted in the first round in 2005.

And if 2010 is an uncapped year, hell be a restricted free agent.

Instead of skipping offseason practices, though, as Patriots nose guard Vince Wilfork has been doing because hes unhappy with his contract status, Mankins has continued to participate in every voluntary workout, according to Shalise Manza Young of the Providence Journal.

I signed a contract, Mankins said. I was the one who signed it, so I feel obligated to be here and practicing. Until I dont have a contract, Im here to play. . . .

My focus is football. Im getting ready for the season. The contract will take care of itself, whether they give me a new one or I move on next year. Its out of my hands right now."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...sing-practice/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote