The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Default If you have never watched turn on right now and check out Formula one.

These guys are so much faster then Indy they make them look silly for even calling that racing.

Put on Fox and check it out. This stuff is worth getting into, money, women, fast cars, what more could you ask for. I've never seen athletes with hotter wives and G/F's then Formula One.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
These guys are so much faster then Indy they make them look silly for even calling that racing.

Put on Fox and check it out. This stuff is worth getting into, money, women, fast cars, what more could you ask for. I've never seen athletes with hotter wives and G/F's then Formula One.
Please explain to me the athleticism involved.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Please explain to me the athleticism involved.
give it a rest, seriously. you know what hes talking about.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
give it a rest, seriously. you know what hes talking about.
Serious question, douche.

Many people refer to professional drivers as athletes and I don't understand it. Now please crawl back into the whole you popped out of.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

F1 has been my favorite for 25 years. Nothing like attending one in person.... WILD. Though Ferrari is down this season, I still love it.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Are they still driving in circles?
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
DivineBronco
Ring of Famer

if you like Cutler you are my enemy

sadly it doesn't seem to be in HD......seems like a given in todays sports landscape
DivineBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post

Absolutely!

But to be fair, NASCAR has Chevy's and 'chewing baccy' for sponsors, some of the girls even have toofs.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Serious question, douche.

Many people refer to professional drivers as athletes and I don't understand it. Now please crawl back into the whole you popped out of.
With the g-forces the drivers are subjected to when cornering, breaking and accelerating they need to be in very good shape.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scttgrd View Post
Are they still driving in circles?
Formula 1 never drove in circles, this is actual racing.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
With the g-forces the drivers are subjected to when cornering, breaking and accelerating they need to be in very good shape.
I see... kind of like astronaut training? So is it more healthy and in good shape, or requiring a high level of athletic ability?

I dunno, back in high school this one kid's dad owned a Ferrari lot and got big into racing and always used to claim it was a sport and was very taxing, etc, but he was a joke at everyyyyyyyyyy sport. Jaded me to the whole concept I suppose.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #12
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
I see... kind of like astronaut training? So is it more healthy and in good shape, or requiring a high level of athletic ability?

I dunno, back in high school this one kid's dad owned a Ferrari lot and got big into racing and always used to claim it was a sport and was very taxing, etc, but he was a joke at everyyyyyyyyyy sport. Jaded me to the whole concept I suppose.
nope. you are right. Being taxed does not make an athlete. Otherwise I am an athlete because I run out of breath walking up the stairs(smoker)...

I think the term athlete gets overused, fro example golfers and competitive eaters get called athletes.

Anyone, i mean anyone can golf, over eat or drive a car fast. Not everyone can ride the tour de france or rush for a 1,000 yards.

They are not athletes. period.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Ask Jesse James what he thinks about people that are pulling constant G's. I'd guess that Indy Drivers subject themselves to 2-4 Gs routinely and occasionally have a turn or something that gets into the 5-7 range.

I certainly see your point. Not sure I consider bowlers athletes myself... but that's just me. I think you're probably on track though. Better shape than being a good athlete. Still, some people cannot condition themselves for those Gs. So it does take some physical ability.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Ask Jesse James what he thinks about people that are pulling constant G's. I'd guess that Indy Drivers subject themselves to 2-4 Gs routinely and occasionally have a turn or something that gets into the 5-7 range.

I certainly see your point. Not sure I consider bowlers athletes myself... but that's just me. I think you're probably on track though. Better shape than being a good athlete. Still, some people cannot condition themselves for those Gs. So it does take some physical ability.
There are "sports" that I consider more skills than actual athletic sports, I suppose I'm inclined to file this in the same category?

In these I think it's more practice and training, and that when someone with a good level of athleticism combines with dedicated training, they take the game to a new level. Tiger Woods for golf, as an example. And yes, I include baseball.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineBronco View Post
sadly it doesn't seem to be in HD......seems like a given in todays sports landscape
Hahaha, i was just telling that to my friend, showing her all the different sports in HD, and flipped on the Formula One race to show her what nonHD looks like...
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #16
9mmbhp
nomen oblitum

Diligencia - Vis - Celeritas

Quote:
Many people refer to professional drivers as athletes and I don't understand it.
Having wrestled cars around tracks for fun at Porsche Club Drivers Ed events, I would not hesitate to call racing drivers athletes.

It is intense both physically and mentally and it requires many of the same skills as other sporting/athletic endeavors like golf, skiing, fencing, tennis, baseball: eye-hand coordination, visual acuity, depth perception, well developed situational & spatial awareness, rhythm & timing, split-second decision making, good reflexes, balance.

Physical conditioning helps one deal with the heat and g-forces as well as the mental concentration required for lap after lap consistency. Doing 10 laps in 15 minutes would leave me drenched in sweat and my arms/shoulders completely pumped up (no power-steering in my 911). Left leg would be worn out from shifting a heavy racing clutch and bracing against g-loads in turns. And this was just driving the course at a speed I was comfortable with, not all-out racing.

ath·lete
Pronunciation:
\ˈath-ˌlēt, ÷ˈa-thə-ˌlēt\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athlētēs, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest
Date:
15th century

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina
9mmbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmbhp View Post
Having wrestled cars around tracks for fun at Porsche Club Drivers Ed events, I would not hesitate to call racing drivers athletes.

It is intense both physically and mentally and it requires many of the same skills as other sporting/athletic endeavors like golf, skiing, fencing, tennis, baseball: eye-hand coordination, visual acuity, depth perception, well developed situational & spatial awareness, rhythm & timing, split-second decision making, good reflexes, balance.

Physical conditioning helps one deal with the heat and g-forces as well as the mental concentration required for lap after lap consistency. Doing 10 laps in 15 minutes would leave me drenched in sweat and my arms/shoulders completely pumped up (no power-steering in my 911). Left leg would be worn out from shifting a heavy racing clutch and bracing against g-loads in turns. And this was just driving the course at a speed I was comfortable with, not all-out racing.

ath·lete
Pronunciation:
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athlētēs, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest
Date:
15th century

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina
Repped. Precisely the explanation I was looking for
Old 06-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #18
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

racing motor cycles i have the utmost respect for anybody that can race anything, i think im in decent shape and after 15 minutes of a race im dead, i cant imagine doing it for the 2 hours those guys do

i just dont like formula 1 because its the team with the most money that wins, not so much about the driver
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #19
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I've made the argument here a number of times that there are athletic sports (football, basketball, baseball, hockey, track and field, swimming, tennis, etc.), and non athletic sports (golf, bowling, pool, auto racing, etc.)

Sports require a certain balance of athletic ability and skill. Some sports require more athletic than skill (football), and some more skill than athletic ability (baseball... depending on the position). But for sports that require mostly skill and not much athletic ability, like golf, bowling, and auto racing, I wouldn't call them athletes. They are highly skilled at what they do, but what they are doing does not require much athletic ability. Walking a course does not require athletic ability. It may be tiring, but that doesn't make them athletes. Having to withstand multiple G forces is taxing on the body, but that doesn't make them athletes. It's the high level of skill that makes them great.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #20
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

I have been to the US grand prix in Indy, F1 racing is awesome. So many hot brazilian and european girls. They really get into it. THe cars are so much louder then Indy. I heard they go 0-100 and back down to 0 in under 5 seconds. I heard Indy cars are around 1 million dollars each while each F1 car is like 10 million. More technology and faster
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #21
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post

Anyone, i mean anyone can golf, .
Really?
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
nope. you are right. Being taxed does not make an athlete. Otherwise I am an athlete because I run out of breath walking up the stairs(smoker)...

I think the term athlete gets overused, fro example golfers and competitive eaters get called athletes.

Anyone, i mean anyone can golf, over eat or drive a car fast. Not everyone can ride the tour de france or rush for a 1,000 yards.

They are not athletes. period.
everyone can ride the tour de france over a certain period of time. everyone can throw a football. everyone can throw a baseball or catch one. thats a horrible argument to make that the general public being able to do something means its not what athletes do.

its the level of what you do and if it takes physical preparedness to be able to do so. everyone can drive a car. not everyone can drive a car in 130 degree cabin temps for 2-3 hours while keeping mental clarity to not crash going 180mph within inches of other cars.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #23
Conklin
Ring of Famer

Main Entry:
ath·lete
Pronunciation:
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Date:
15th century
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #24
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

With the advent and growth of competitive computer/console gaming, I do think another category of athlete will be commonly accepted in the relatively near future. There will have to be a delineation between physical athletes such as football players, wrestlers, bikers, etc. and hand/eye coordination competitors such as professional gamers, poker players, and billiard players. It will be interesting to see where some of the bleed overs such as race car drivers and bowlers are most commonly placed.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #25
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInSkinland View Post
With the advent and growth of competitive computer/console gaming, I do think another category of athlete will be commonly accepted in the relatively near future. There will have to be a delineation between physical athletes such as football players, wrestlers, bikers, etc. and hand/eye coordination competitors such as professional gamers, poker players, and billiard players. It will be interesting to see where some of the bleed overs such as race car drivers and bowlers are most commonly placed.
well you gotta make the difference between games and sports. billiards, poker, video gmaes, they are all games. golf, racing, football are all sports.