The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,740

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Armstrong: Broncos' new ideal: team-first

Tony Scheffler, when asked if he anticipated a breakout year in Josh McDaniels' offense: "Don't talk about a breakout year. It's my fourth year. I'd like to go to the playoffs. That's my No. 1 goal. We're trying to put individual stuff behind us and concentrate on the team."

Good thing. Because, as the losses mounted in recent years, a looking-out-for-No. 1 selfishness had set in at Dove Valley. Enter McDaniels, who has instilled a team-first attitude, the likes of which the Broncos had in Mike Shanahan's glory days. Frankly, that had to happen before this team could move forward. . . .

Everyone talks about the culture of losing at Coors Field. What about Dove Valley? The Broncos are in danger of missing the playoffs for a fourth consecutive season. That hasn't happened since 1973-76, the latter years of the John Ralston era. . . .

Which brings us to today's trivia question: How many current Broncos have gone to the playoffs in a Denver uniform? Answer several dots south. . . .

No, they haven't gone off to the Lingerie Football League. Then again, just to illustrate how shaky the Broncos' defense was last season, several starters haven't signed with other teams. The list: Nate Webster, Jamie Winborn, Ebenezer Ekuban and John Engelberger. Then there's Marquand Manuel, Marlon McCree and Dre Bly, who just emerged from the scrapheap to get backup gigs in the past few days. . . .




http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12532713
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Broncojef
Ring of Famer
 
Broncojef's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Great White North
Posts: 3,233
Default

Amazing the steps we had to take to get back to a team concept...you'd think that would be the goal of any coaching staff.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,594

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

This team was not headed anywhere until they took the defense and special teams seriously. I like that McDaniels, at least from what he has stated, seems to understand this and isn't just focusing on one side of the ball which happened with Shanahan the last 10 years or so.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,477

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
This team was not headed anywhere until they took the defense and special teams seriously. I like that McDaniels, at least from what he has stated, seems to understand this and isn't just focusing on one side of the ball which happened with Shanahan the last 10 years or so.
Then why did we fire DC's and SP team coaches year in and year out?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Tony Scheffler, when asked if he anticipated a breakout year in Josh McDaniels' offense: "Don't talk about a breakout year. It's my fourth year. I'd like to go to the playoffs. That's my No. 1 goal. We're trying to put individual stuff behind us and concentrate on the team."

Good thing. Because, as the losses mounted in recent years, a looking-out-for-No. 1 selfishness had set in at Dove Valley. Enter McDaniels, who has instilled a team-first attitude, the likes of which the Broncos had in Mike Shanahan's glory days. Frankly, that had to happen before this team could move forward. . . .

Everyone talks about the culture of losing at Coors Field. What about Dove Valley? The Broncos are in danger of missing the playoffs for a fourth consecutive season. That hasn't happened since 1973-76, the latter years of the John Ralston era. . . .

Which brings us to today's trivia question: How many current Broncos have gone to the playoffs in a Denver uniform? Answer several dots south. . . .

No, they haven't gone off to the Lingerie Football League. Then again, just to illustrate how shaky the Broncos' defense was last season, several starters haven't signed with other teams. The list: Nate Webster, Jamie Winborn, Ebenezer Ekuban and John Engelberger. Then there's Marquand Manuel, Marlon McCree and Dre Bly, who just emerged from the scrapheap to get backup gigs in the past few days. . . .
You know...I think most people read what the "real" reporters write in newspaper accounts on the web out of force of habbit, thinking it's got some greater inherent value since it's the official press. The more I read these lazy, poorly supported, overly simplistic snippets...I can't call them stories...by the DPO or other newspaper writers, the more convinced I am that the better writers are on blogs and discussion boards like this one. Is this even a story at all? Or is it just a guy mailing it in and getting paid for something anyone on this board could write?

It's an obvious slap in the face at Shanahan, not that I'm saying he was above criticism, because he definitely is not, but if you're writing for the DPO and you say something this pointed in terms of its direct implications for why we failed the last 10 years, you ought to back it up with some factual examples. Give us multiple interviews of former Broncos willing to talk about it, not a 5 second conversation with a guy playing right now, who doesn't really even say anything to support your conclusion. If he could truly back up this supposed "me first" idea that he says dominated the prior regime, why doesn't he? But in fact I doubt anyone will even ask him to.

Now let's do 200 posts on this drivel.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
telluride
Ring of Famer
 
telluride's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,557

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
You know...I think most people read what the "real" reporters write in newspaper accounts on the web out of force of habbit, thinking it's got some greater inherent value since it's the official press. The more I read these lazy, poorly supported, overly simplistic snippets...I can't call them stories...by the DPO or other newspaper writers, the more convinced I am that the better writers are on blogs and discussion boards like this one. Is this even a story at all? Or is it just a guy mailing it in and getting paid for something anyone on this board could write?

It's an obvious slap in the face at Shanahan, not that I'm saying he was above criticism, because he definitely is not, but if you're writing for the DPO and you say something this pointed in terms of its direct implications for why we failed the last 10 years, you ought to back it up with some factual examples. Give us multiple interviews of former Broncos willing to talk about it, not a 5 second conversation with a guy playing right now, who doesn't really even say anything to support your conclusion. If he could truly back up this supposed "me first" idea that he says dominated the prior regime, why doesn't he? But in fact I doubt anyone will even ask him to.

Now let's do 200 posts on this drivel.
Shanahan deserved the slap. He fielded a .500 team for the past three years. He managed only one playoff win in the past decade. The outsized reverence with which he was treated for such lowly production was laughable, and it harmed the team.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
Shanahan deserved the slap. He fielded a .500 team for the past three years. He managed only one playoff win in the past decade. The outsized reverence with which he was treated for such lowly production was laughable, and it harmed the team.
And I've been one of his detractors...that doesn't change the fact that these NPO writers are producing almost nothing of any real value, nor the fact that this "story" has nothing included to back it up.

I can write better stuff than this...so can lots of people on this board.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,539

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Then why did we fire DC's and SP team coaches year in and year out?
Because our head coach had no idea who to hire, Mostly just scapegoats to cover his ass season after season.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer
 
maher_tyler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,068

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
You know...I think most people read what the "real" reporters write in newspaper accounts on the web out of force of habbit, thinking it's got some greater inherent value since it's the official press. The more I read these lazy, poorly supported, overly simplistic snippets...I can't call them stories...by the DPO or other newspaper writers, the more convinced I am that the better writers are on blogs and discussion boards like this one. Is this even a story at all? Or is it just a guy mailing it in and getting paid for something anyone on this board could write?

It's an obvious slap in the face at Shanahan, not that I'm saying he was above criticism, because he definitely is not, but if you're writing for the DPO and you say something this pointed in terms of its direct implications for why we failed the last 10 years, you ought to back it up with some factual examples. Give us multiple interviews of former Broncos willing to talk about it, not a 5 second conversation with a guy playing right now, who doesn't really even say anything to support your conclusion. If he could truly back up this supposed "me first" idea that he says dominated the prior regime, why doesn't he? But in fact I doubt anyone will even ask him to.

Now let's do 200 posts on this drivel.
The way Webster and Winborn celebrated after a getting a tackle 5 yards down field is all the examples i need...funny know one has even signed them as a back ups. As much as i liked Shanny..it was time for him to go!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker
 
BroncoInSkinland's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,024

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line
Default

Has anyone ever heard a football player come out and say, "Yeah, I'm going to have a breakout year. It's my fourth year. I'd like to set some records, I don't care about post season. That's my No. 1 goal. I'm trying to put the team behind me and concentrate on myself."? I'm just saying, there isn't much else the guys CAN say.

I think McDaniels does have these guys a little more motivated than in recent years, for fear of their jobs if nothing else. I do think they have achieved more of a team mentality, but at the same time quotes aren't going to throw blocks for their teammates come September.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,594

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Then why did we fire DC's and SP team coaches year in and year out?
Check how they drafted for defense the last decade and how those players developed. That helps answer that one.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #12
fdf
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Check how they drafted for defense the last decade and how those players developed. That helps answer that one.
Quoted for truth. Al Wilson was the last outstanding defensive draft pick the Broncos made.

Pretty Good: DJ Williams, Heyward.

Good: Darrent Williams, Dumervil.

May turn out good: Marcus Thomas, Spencer Larsen, WW, Crowder.

I've probably missed someone. (Obviously, I'm not counting this year because we have no idea how any of the new guys will turn out.)

That's pretty slim pickin's for ten years of drafting.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #13
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
The way Webster and Winborn celebrated after a getting a tackle 5 yards down field is all the examples i need...funny know one has even signed them as a back ups. As much as i liked Shanny..it was time for him to go!!
So because you can point out a couple of showboaters and (justifiably) finger Shanahan for the team's recent failures, that means you're satisifed with a writer who states something and offers not one word of proof to back it up? I guess that response is what typifies why they're able to get away with it.

If having a couple attention seekers indicates the entire team doesn't care about team goals, well then pretty much every team in the NFL is guilty of collective selfishness. I just find it absurd that a guy who hasn't even run a training camp yet is suddenly credited with magically bringing "team" to a bunch of guys who were purely selfish under a probable HOF coach. But that's the legacy of this whoe affair isn't it? We can revise things however we wish now as long as it flies with what people would like to hear.

Armstrong is like all these other clowns who have turned into mini-celebrities in their own right because the web or the tube offer them a platorm for getting their face and their views in front of fans. Skip Bayliss and Woody Paige are the best examples...but those guys are just more extreme versions of the same thing. I'm not sure where the real sports writers have gone...I suppose to magazines...because nothing these newspaper guys do is worth a crap.

When's the last time you read a REAL story by a Denver Post writer, or any other newspaper guy for that matter?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
Kaylore
Genetically Superior
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Because I am better.

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,268

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default

This article is pretty accurate. It sort of is a chicken Vs. Egg thing, though. When a team is losing and has no confidence the players only think of themselves because there's nothing else.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,340

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
So because you can point out a couple of showboaters and (justifiably) finger Shanahan for the team's recent failures, that means you're satisifed with a writer who states something and offers not one word of proof to back it up? I guess that response is what typifies why they're able to get away with it.

If having a couple attention seekers indicates the entire team doesn't care about team goals, well then pretty much every team in the NFL is guilty of collective selfishness. I just find it absurd that a guy who hasn't even run a training camp yet is suddenly credited with magically bringing "team" to a bunch of guys who were purely selfish under a probable HOF coach. But that's the legacy of this whoe affair isn't it? We can revise things however we wish now as long as it flies with what people would like to hear.

Armstrong is like all these other clowns who have turned into mini-celebrities in their own right because the web or the tube offer them a platorm for getting their face and their views in front of fans. Skip Bayliss and Woody Paige are the best examples...but those guys are just more extreme versions of the same thing. I'm not sure where the real sports writers have gone...I suppose to magazines...because nothing these newspaper guys do is worth a crap.

When's the last time you read a REAL story by a Denver Post writer, or any other newspaper guy for that matter?
I'm curious, what exactly do you expect to be covered during the offseason. There simply isn't enough to cover. That is why we have so many polls and racial threads here as well. It's the offseason foot, this is the way it has always been.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #16
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker
 
BroncoInSkinland's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,024

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
I'm curious, what exactly do you expect to be covered during the offseason. There simply isn't enough to cover. That is why we have so many polls and racial threads here as well. It's the offseason foot, this is the way it has always been.
Cheerleaders lingerie choices would be my first pick. Inquiring minds and all that...
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #17
yerner
Ring of Famer
 
yerner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville VA
Posts: 3,936
Default

what a load of horse****. teams win with talent. 'team first' is some writer/coach crap that ignores the fact that this a profession that has to do with having the best players.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,009

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
what a load of horse****. teams win with talent. 'team first' is some writer/coach crap that ignores the fact that this a profession that has to do with having the best players.
I couldnt disagree more actually. Football more than any sport has to do with team unity and how they play together. You can get by on lesser talent if you play mistake free football as a team. of course youd rather have great talent AND great team chemistry
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #19
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection
 
Natedogg's Avatar
 
You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Narcville, USA
Posts: 2,105

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Because our head coach had no idea who to hire, Mostly just scapegoats to cover his ass season after season.
I think it all started to go south when he fired Ray Rhodes.
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #20
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker
 
BroncoInSkinland's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,024

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I couldnt disagree more actually. Football more than any sport has to do with team unity and how they play together. You can get by on lesser talent if you play mistake free football as a team. of course youd rather have great talent AND great team chemistry
I agree with the overall statement that team chemistry is important in football, but I think arguments could be made that it is just as important if not more in basketball, soccer, hockey, or any other fast action team sport. Definitely beats out baseball as far as chemistry goes, but that is a bold statement...
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #21
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
I'm curious, what exactly do you expect to be covered during the offseason. There simply isn't enough to cover. That is why we have so many polls and racial threads here as well. It's the offseason foot, this is the way it has always been.
Cripes...they're not even trying to search for anything, they're just slopping things together. How 'bout them doing some digging about the new guys and at least writing something in depth about them other than the two paragraph fluff we get? How is it that I can dig up stuff on these guys with an hour in Google and these guys can't? I even wrote a couple stories in here that were way more researched than anything the paid writers have done this preseason. Other posters on the OM have also done way better work that these guys. I think they're just unwilling to spend time on this when they don't have to since they're apparently under no pressure to produce anything good. I think the biggest reason is because there is no RMN competing with them anymore so why bother? If nothing else...when a writer like Armstrong comes out with something like this, he ought to have some supporting information to back it up.

Before the internet, I remember the Post had some cool stories almost every night on the rookies and new players. Now I'd say that 90% of everything we get we dig up ourselves. The DPO should fire their writers and just let the OM or the other Bronco forum writers submit stories.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #22
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,340

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Cripes...they're not even trying to search for anything, they're just slopping things together. How 'bout them doing some digging about the new guys and at least writing something in depth about them other than the two paragraph fluff we get? How is it that I can dig up stuff on these guys with an hour in Google and these guys can't? I even wrote a couple stories in here that were way more researched than anything the paid writers have done this preseason. Other posters on the OM have also done way better work that these guys. I think they're just unwilling to spend time on this when they don't have to since they're apparently under no pressure to produce anything good. I think the biggest reason is because there is no RMN competing with them anymore so why bother? If nothing else...when a writer like Armstrong comes out with something like this, he ought to have some supporting information to back it up.

Before the internet, I remember the Post had some cool stories almost every night on the rookies and new players. Now I'd say that 90% of everything we get we dig up ourselves. The DPO should fire their writers and just let the OM or the other Bronco forum writers submit stories.
I think that is a great idea. I nominate Lex to do the NBA section, and Bob to do the "lifestyle" section...
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #23
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
I think that is a great idea. I nominate Lex to do the NBA section, and Bob to do the "lifestyle" section...
Well believe it or not, even Bob has written stuff better than this.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #24
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,340

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Well believe it or not, even Bob has written stuff better than this.
Well to be fair, Armstrong "actually" wrote it.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #25
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,009

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInSkinland View Post
I agree with the overall statement that team chemistry is important in football, but I think arguments could be made that it is just as important if not more in basketball, soccer, hockey, or any other fast action team sport. Definitely beats out baseball as far as chemistry goes, but that is a bold statement...
In basketball one person can take over a game. Maybe less so with soccer or hockey, but still can. With football, you need all 11 doing their jobs to make it work. If your offensive line sucks, it renders your great QB or RB useless. This goes on and on down the line. Team chemistry is important in any sport, true, but i personally dont believe you rely on your teammates more than you do in football.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:11 PM.


Denver Broncos