The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default D day

The longest day ..............http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid=...2585&GT1=42007Plenty of good video ............
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

even better link http://www.army.mil/d-day/
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
STBumpkin
burnin' it at both ends
 
STBumpkin's Avatar
 
Livin' The Dream

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bowie, MD
Posts: 753

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

The Battle of Midway was also happening on this day (4-7 June, 1942). Both pivotal battle in WWII
STBumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STBumpkin View Post
The Battle of Midway was also happening on this day (4-7 June, 1942). Both pivotal battle in WWII
yep ..........I think D day get more remembrance cause of the odds those guys faced ,and the task they had to preform
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
lex
Ring of Famer
 
lex's Avatar
 
The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-Town
Posts: 10,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Does anyone get the military channel? They had a really good rundown of Midway. Last night I watched them feature the Battle of the Bulge. Good stuff.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Does anyone get the military channel? They had a really good rundown of Midway. Last night I watched them feature the Battle of the Bulge. Good stuff.
I get that channel ,but I dont watch it much .........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
Broncojef
Ring of Famer
 
Broncojef's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Great White North
Posts: 3,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
The longest day ..............http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid=...2585&GT1=42007Plenty of good video ............
I don't know if you ever watched it Spider but Band of Brothers was one of my favorite DVD collections ever and of course Saving Private Ryan with the aftermath of airborne guys with units spread all over France was one of my favorite movies as well. I'm sure alot of us have relatives that we're involved in alot of stuff during that time, must have been incredible.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
I don't know if you ever watched it Spider but Band of Brothers was one of my favorite DVD collections ever and of course Saving Private Ryan with the aftermath of airborne guys with units spread all over France was one of my favorite movies as well. I'm sure alot of us have relatives that we're involved in alot of stuff during that time, must have been incredible.
I also enjoyed Boys of Company C .....My grandpa was in WW1 and my uncles in WW2 , ,Dad in Nam
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

A friend of mine growing up , his Dad was in the Navy during WW2 , talking about pill boxes , My Friends dad always wanted to go to Midway , and go underwater diving to see the wreckage
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
Broncojef
Ring of Famer
 
Broncojef's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Great White North
Posts: 3,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
A friend of mine growing up , his Dad was in the Navy during WW2 , talking about pill boxes , My Friends dad always wanted to go to Midway , and go underwater diving to see the wreckage
My grandfather sometimes spoke of a secret meeting at a crossroads in the middle of nowhere in France where Eisenhower, Bradley and Patton all met one day in separate jeeps...if the Germans had only known. My grandfather was a Staff Sergeant Supply/Quartermaster type during the great war, he somehow witnessed this meeting in person, must have been pretty cool.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Broncojef
Ring of Famer
 
Broncojef's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Great White North
Posts: 3,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
I also enjoyed Boys of Company C .....My grandpa was in WW1 and my uncles in WW2 , ,Dad in Nam
Classic movie!!! My grandpa was in WWII, I served during the first gulf war and have pictures of way old relatives fighting for a Pennslyvania regiment during the civil war.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
My grandfather sometimes spoke of a secret meeting at a crossroads in the middle of nowhere in France where Eisenhower, Bradley and Patton all met one day in separate jeeps...if the Germans had only known. My grandfather was a Staff Sergeant Supply/Quartermaster type during the great war, he somehow witnessed this meeting in person, must have been pretty cool.
I didnt know of this ........Bradley and Patton were a couple of bad asses....
Quote:
Classic movie!!! My grandpa was in WWII, I served during the first gulf war and have pictures of way old relatives fighting for a Pennslyvania regiment during the civil war.
I tried to serve but way before Gulf war 1 , I made it to MEPS in Denver there , and was greeted by Denvers finest , I was wanted for attempted murder , thought the military was a good place to hide ( I never claimed to be a genius ) Back then the military was damn picky about who came in .........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
C130Herkload
Trash Hauler Supreme
 
C130Herkload's Avatar
 
Kickin' a$$ to save your's

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The magic treehouse.
Posts: 321

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Nalen
Default

Im in Normandy right now. Staying near Cherbourg. Big party at Ste. Mere Eglise tonight with the airbourne-so far a great time. Crappy weather today, hopefully better tomorrow for our drops. Ill post pix when I get home Tues.

loadclear.
C130Herkload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
yep ..........I think D day get more remembrance cause of the odds those guys faced ,and the task they had to preform
But had the last of our carriers gotten sunk at Midway, I doubt d-day would have ever even happened. Japan would have rolled up all the way to the west coast of USA.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
But had the last of our carriers gotten sunk at Midway, I doubt d-day would have ever even happened. Japan would have rolled up all the way to the west coast of USA.
you dont know that for sure .........Japan hitting the coast of Cali would have been suicide ..... way to many places to launch planes from ........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #16
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
A friend of mine growing up , his Dad was in the Navy during WW2 , talking about pill boxes , My Friends dad always wanted to go to Midway , and go underwater diving to see the wreckage
My Father (USN) and two Uncles (USMC) fought in WWII, but all were sent to the Pacific, all involved in Iwo Jima and Peleliu.

The weird thing is I never heard any of them express any desire to go back to any of the places they fought at.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #17
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
My Father (USN) and two Uncles (USMC) fought in WWII, but all were sent to the Pacific, all involved in Iwo Jima and Peleliu.

The weird thing is I never heard any of them express any desire to go back to any of the places they fought at.
My Uncle died at Iwo Jima as well , I thought it was odd ..... He never did give a reason , I just know he wanted to go ........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #18
Broncojef
Ring of Famer
 
Broncojef's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Great White North
Posts: 3,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
My Father (USN) and two Uncles (USMC) fought in WWII, but all were sent to the Pacific, all involved in Iwo Jima and Peleliu.

The weird thing is I never heard any of them express any desire to go back to any of the places they fought at.
My grandpa wouldn't talk too much about it at all let alone ever want to go back. He had cool stories if you could ever get him talking.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #19
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
My grandpa wouldn't talk too much about it at all let alone ever want to go back. He had cool stories if you could ever get him talking.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Whenever I asked about it, they'd be fast to change the subject...never got a first hand account from any of them. Understandable really because it was pretty horrific stuff from what I've read anyways. I respected that and never pushed the issue.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #20
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
My grandpa wouldn't talk too much about it at all let alone ever want to go back. He had cool stories if you could ever get him talking.
My Friends dad talked all the time about it , showed us his Uniform , medals , pictures ...... I want to say he served on USS VIRRO , mine sweeper , but I could be wrong , it has been along time
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #21
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES
 
PaintballCLE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleveland, Oh
Posts: 3,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
I didnt know of this ........Bradley and Patton were a couple of bad asses....
I tried to serve but way before Gulf war 1 , I made it to MEPS in Denver there , and was greeted by Denvers finest , I was wanted for attempted murder , thought the military was a good place to hide ( I never claimed to be a genius ) Back then the military was damn picky about who came in .........
attempted murder huh?

And if they knew then what the know now........they woul dhave surely taken you. WW3 would be fought with our top secret weapon..........the throatpunch 3000
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #22
loborugger
lost in the ether
 
loborugger's Avatar
 
Did we finally get a FB???

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The 'cuse
Posts: 5,709

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
I also enjoyed Boys of Company C .....My grandpa was in WW1 and my uncles in WW2 , ,Dad in Nam
Is your grandpa still around? For me, WW I is much more interesting and relevant to this day and age. Probably some good stories there.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #23
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I bleed orange and blue View Post
attempted murder huh?

And if they knew then what the know now........they woul dhave surely taken you. WW3 would be fought with our top secret weapon..........the throatpunch 3000
well there was more to it then that, I made it worse trying to run , got reduced down to Bodily assault with intent to do harm 3 rd degree ........Still a felony
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #24
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Is your grandpa still around? For me, WW I is much more interesting and relevant to this day and age. Probably some good stories there.
No My Grandpa died back in the early 80's
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #25
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
yep ..........I think D day get more remembrance cause of the odds those guys faced ,and the task they had to preform

Midway had a more direct impact on our operations for the entire war then DDay did. Not knocking the invasion of Normandy, but losing Midway leaves Hawaii completely unprotected and pushes the US navy back to the North American coastline, and a loss like that might have entirely scrapped our "europe" first strategy, prolonging the war. I am happy we won both, world would be very different if we lose one or both of those.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:05 AM.


Denver Broncos