The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Default Let play a game of the future

It offseason and I am bored with the Cutler/McDaniels debate. And Hotrod’s polls are putting me to sleep. So let play a game.

The 2010 season has ended and Pat Bowlen has decide that after 30 years he no longer wants to be the majority owner of the Denver Broncos and you are now the majority partner in the enterprise. It is up to you to be the hero and return this franchise to greatness. What are you going to do to make this team the top dog in the NFL?

Some facts:

- Broncos finished in the 7-9 win range putting their traded to Seattle in 10- 13 range and rest of their draft choices in upper part of the later rounds. (We have 8 draft picks – our “7” plus an extra 5 from Dallas)

- Da Bears did make the playoff but were bounced in the first round – their pick to use wasnumber 20.

- Both Orton and Simms were solid but not special and struggled at time when behind in games.

- The defense improved to about 20th in the league. But the rush defense was at best ok at times. We rotated a lot player through the NT position. The pass defense was better due to increase pressure from outside (Doom and Ayers) but Dawkins struggled in coverage.

- Dawkins was fiery emotional leader but like stated above was seen as weak link in the pass defense

- Boss didn’t go on IR, but missed games. He was solid outside backer when he played and really had very good year in the 3-4.

- Champ played all year but there were time he struggle in man to man coverage on speed receivers. Both Smith and William rotated at the nickel back position and were “ok”

- Moreno had decent year but didn’t break 1000 yards. Hillis was more of jack of all trades and was primary 3rd down back and short yardage guy.

- DJ Williams don’t look like he was comfortable inside LB position in 3-4.

- The offense was very good but not great and struggled with the new combined scheme that McDaniels installed. Both Hamilton and Wiegman had trouble at the point of attack.

- Quinn was undistinguished as rookie see a lot of inactivation or only playing on short yardage plays. Scheffer made plays and primary the 3rd option in passing game. Graham production declined as he was mainly used as extra blocker.

- Both Marshall and Royal were extremely solid and forced a lot of zone coverage because of their play. Stokely was demoted to the 5th receiver losing time to the Gaffney and rookie McKinley.

-The owners and players' union came to agreement and avoid uncapped year and lock out.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

fire Josh McDaniels and sell the team
SleepingTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
It offseason and I am bored with the Cutler/McDaniels debate. And Hotrod’s polls are putting me to sleep. So let play a game.

The 2010 season has ended and Pat Bowlen has decide that after 30 years he no longer wants to be the majority owner of the Denver Broncos and you are now the majority partner in the enterprise. It is up to you to be the hero and return this franchise to greatness. What are you going to do to make this team the top dog in the NFL?

Some facts:

- Broncos finished in the 7-9 win range putting their traded to Seattle in 10- 13 range and rest of their draft choices in upper part of the later rounds. (We have 8 draft picks – our “7” plus an extra 5 from Dallas)

- Da Bears did make the playoff but were bounced in the first round – their pick to use wasnumber 20.

- Both Orton and Simms were solid but not special and struggled at time when behind in games.

- The defense improved to about 20th in the league. But the rush defense was at best ok at times. We rotated a lot player through the NT position. The pass defense was better due to increase pressure from outside (Doom and Ayers) but Dawkins struggled in coverage.

- Dawkins was fiery emotional leader but like stated above was seen as weak link in the pass defense

- Boss didn’t go on IR, but missed games. He was solid outside backer when he played and really had very good year in the 3-4.

- Champ played all year but there were time he struggle in man to man coverage on speed receivers. Both Smith and William rotated at the nickel back position and were “ok”

- Moreno had decent year but didn’t break 1000 yards. Hillis was more of jack of all trades and was primary 3rd down back and short yardage guy.

- The offense was very good but not great and struggled with the new combined scheme that McDaniels installed. Both Hamilton and Wiegman had trouble at the point of attack.

- Quinn was undistinguished as rookie see a lot of inactivation or only playing on short yardage plays. Scheffer made plays and primary the 3rd option in passing game. Graham production declined as he was mainly used as extra blocker.

- Both Marshall and Royal were extremely solid and forced a lot of zone coverage because of their play. Stokely was demoted to the 5th receiver losing time to the Gaffney and rookie McKinley.

-The owners and players' union came to agreement and avoid uncapped year and lock out.
outside of Marsh and Royal thats almost a worst case scenario of events...

well even under that lousy chain of events, i'd still give McDaniels reign to get the ship right...

losing our starting QB and installing new systems on both sides of the ball with darn near 50% turnover in player personnel, is reason enough to realize McD deserves more than 1 year to make the playoffs...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I am writing Al Davis disturbing love letters and signing Elsid 13 and hotrds names to them ...
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
outside of Marsh and Royal thats almost a worst case scenario of events...

well even under that lousy chain of events, i'd still give McDaniels reign to get the ship right...

losing our starting QB and installing new systems on both sides of the ball with darn near 50% turnover in player personnel, is reason enough to realize McD deserves more than 1 year to make the playoffs...

Hardly.

7-9 win range is downright optimistic, given the schedule, new schemes in all phases, etc - it's possible the '09 Broncs will play like an expansion team. 2-14 is possible.

Both Orton and Simms can best be described as "solid but not special".

Dawkins may well have lost a half step, and could struggle in pass defense.

Moreno may well play better than sub 1000 - in fact, he is the potential bright spot on offense.

The offense may not be "very good" at all - never mind "great".

The rookies might play better than indicated in Elcid's post - or they might play like rookies.

The end of the CBA could be a bloody mess, with a lockout possible in '11.

And no where in Elcid's post is any mention of an injury. To anyone.

Elcid's suppositions are a far cry from "worst case".
BroncsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Some facts:

Assuming Marshall has stayed out of trouble, make sure he gets resigned. Then avoid telling my coaches what to do. Wait two years. Reevaluate. Meanwhile, enjoy that I'm wealthy enough to own the Broncos. Spend time with my family. Contribute a lot of money to missions and politicians I think are deserving.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
I am writing Al Davis disturbing love letters and signing Elsid 13 and hotrds names to them ...
However, the word, "disturbing," was not necessary. There is no such thing as a not-disturbing love letter to Al Davis.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Who's Elcid?
Old 06-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Dude I was planning on naming you the new Fred. **** that. Hotrod has the job.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdf View Post
However, the word, "disturbing," was not necessary. There is no such thing as a not-disturbing love letter to Al Davis.
good point ......
Old 06-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Who's Elcid?
I was trying to use Latin , so you wouldnt catch on ...........Did it work ?
Old 06-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Dude I was planning on naming you the new Fred. **** that. Hotrod has the job.
Hotrod would make a good Fred ........ Just dont let Hotrod use his pink riddin lawn mower to patrol with .......
Old 06-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
I was trying to use Latin , so you wouldnt catch on ...........Did it work ?
Argumentum ad ignorantiam
Old 06-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #14
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Some facts:

Not bad all things considered...

People will mock this, seeing as some do not think he is a QB at the next level, but I draft Tim Tebow in the 3rd round (assuming he doesn't change to a sure fire QB prospect that goes in the first)

NT is crucial, spend the first round pick on Mt. Cody

Having that second first rounder, which in this case is pretty high, would have been a good place for Taylor Mays. Obviously we do not have that pick anymore. I'm optimistic about Dawkins, I see him having as big if not a bigger impact thatn Lynch did here. In obvious passing situations McBath will get some action. But going with your scenario as you wrote it I hope that Berry or Rolle is available in the 2nd round of the draft since I draft Cody in the first.

Again, I do not anticipate this. I think Champ is still the best in the league when healthy. If he stays healthy I doubt he will struggle in any coverage. He still has 4.4 speed, I dont think man coverage is an issued. Champ and Goodman are solid for a few more years, Williams and Smith continue to develop behind them. The corners are fine, this position would not be addressed by me.

Moreno is going to be a superstar for a decade. We are set at RB. Hillis would be counted on to continue to be a jack of all trades and help the team. No attention to this position either

I will be shocked if this happens. Even so, I still give him a shot. Giving DJ more than one season at the same position in the same defensive system has yet to happen. I give it to him

Some young lineman are ready to take their spots if they cannot perform. Draft or FA can add some depth but the o-line should be fine. Re-sign Chris Kuper

This position would not be addressed

McKinley could fill Stokely's role in the slot, if Royal isn't there doing the Wes Welker thing. If Royal is, then I try to add a bigger possesion receiver to play outside.

So I draft Cody and Tebow, which I think gives us a legit NT for a long time (assuming he has a big senior year, he has a lot to prove still) and a future franchise QB that needs polishing in a pro offense. Many of you will disagree with my evaluation of Tebow, but I think he will eventually be the best QB in the class. Orton or Simms remain the starter until he is ready. The runningbacks are fine, no movement there. Possibly add a no. 2 receiver if Royal plays slot, if he plays outside I feel good about the receiving and tight end core. The o-line could use a free agent addition at guard, but as I stated depth could be added in the draft or FA and they should still be fine. Clady, Harris, and Kuper are locks. Defensively we try to add a good safety prospect in the draft but we feel good about our veterans and hope that McBath, Bruton, and Barrett are developing well. The corners do not get touched, they are fine. That leaves the front 7. We spend our cap room in free agency and many draft picks on those positions. It is the primary focus of the offseason. Doom, Kuper, Scheffler, and Marshall get resigned
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #15
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Argumentum ad ignorantiam
no we had pork chops for Dinner
Old 06-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #16
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
Hardly.

7-9 win range is downright optimistic, given the schedule, new schemes in all phases, etc - it's possible the '09 Broncs will play like an expansion team. 2-14 is possible.

Both Orton and Simms can best be described as "solid but not special".

Dawkins may well have lost a half step, and could struggle in pass defense.

Moreno may well play better than sub 1000 - in fact, he is the potential bright spot on offense.

The offense may not be "very good" at all - never mind "great".

The rookies might play better than indicated in Elcid's post - or they might play like rookies.

The end of the CBA could be a bloody mess, with a lockout possible in '11.

And no where in Elcid's post is any mention of an injury. To anyone.

Elcid's suppositions are a far cry from "worst case".

no, it is pretty muchto worst case scenario...

reading his comments, that's pretty much all bad and nothing good...7-9 is an overstatement if the rest of what he says comes to fruition...

so like i said, it's pretty much a worst case scenario inwhich i still would give McD a chance to fix it...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #17
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:

Some facts:

1. Congratulate McDaniels on exceeding my expectations for this season, and assure him that he has the coaching position for at least two years to complete his build of the team.

2. Get Nolan and McDaniels together and stress that I want D-line to be a major focus in the coming year. I want immediate independent evaluations from both of them and the positional coaches on each player currently on the roster and want our next meeting to be a brainstorming session about how we can immediately improve in FA and what their top prospects in the coming draft are.

3. Ask McDaniels if he has any thoughts on the QB position. Despite it being unpopular with the fans, stirring up controversy, and against my stated primary objective regarding the D-line, if he sees someone he wants, and who he thinks can be a franchise QB for us, we will do everything necessary to get him immediately. At that point D-line becomes a secondary concern again, but we will focus on it as much as possible with the remaining resources, and in the following year.

4. Go to Nolan first, and with his go ahead, go to Champ, explore his thoughts on a trade situation. I would want to get value for him while it was still possible, but also feel it would be important that if Champ were determined to remain in a Broncos uniform we would make that happen. If Champ was not open to the possibility of a trade, make it public knowledge that that was not on the table in any way shape or form any more. The motivation from players understanding that the team would take care of them would offset any value we would have gotten from the trade.

5. Keep Moreno and Hillis at Running back, they were an effective tandem, and with further experience and familiarity with our linemen I would want to see what they could do for another season.

6. Return the orange jerseys to be the home uniforms. This may seem frivolous, but I think it would create a surge in the fan base and be very beneficial to the team both financially and for home field advantage from crowd support.

All the ideas would of course be discussed with the appropriate coaches and coordinators before hand, and I would be open to new ideas, but would also be firm in my resolve to go ahead with them unless decisive arguments could be made to overturn them.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #18
Gnomeflinger
Rookie

Not your average chick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Let's get drunk and screw.
Gnomeflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #19
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomeflinger View Post
Let's get drunk and screw.
not with that plant watching
Old 06-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #20
Gnomeflinger
Rookie

Not your average chick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
not with that plant watching
The plant will be in the other room, watching poon.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #21
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Well it will give Elsid some company then
Old 06-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #22
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
how can he see your poon from the other room?
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #23
Gnomeflinger
Rookie

Not your average chick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He'll have a dvd player and a TV set. Oh, and some socks or something like that.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #24
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
He'll have a dvd player and a TV set. Oh, and some socks or something like that.
I think he'll get in to your vicoden stash and be out of it for a while. maybe he'll take a picture of one of his pricks with you in the foreground.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #25
Gnomeflinger
Rookie

Not your average chick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
I think he'll get in to your vicoden stash and be out of it for a while. maybe he'll take a picture of one of his pricks with you in the foreground.
Anyone or anything who gets into my stash is dead meat. DEAD.