The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis
 
Hulamau's Avatar
 
In the Pocket

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hulaville and Sedona
Posts: 9,513

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default New McD video from passing camp today

http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php

Hot off the press

McD really high on Hillis, said he will play both Tail back and fullback and other things too. Likes what he sees from the D-line but too early to tell for sure until the pads come on. Said the d-line is big young and aggressive and are being extremely well coached by Nunnelly.

Last edited by Hulamau; 06-03-2009 at 02:44 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic
 
s0phr0syne's Avatar
 
Absorb and Redirect

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,626

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

bump

Just watched the vid, pretty typical coach chatter, but it's fun to hear. Can't wait for preseason and beyond.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

Quick recap:

* Happy Brandon Marshall wasn't suspended, those matters are out of their control. He's been rehabbing fine, doing everything he's supposed to. He'll have plenty of time to learn the offense in August, none of the team's injured players are at the voluntary sessions anyhow.

* All players, including injured, must be in for next week's mandatory camp.

* Happy with Matt Prater, they're putting him in different situations and he's doing well. Common for young kickers to go through rough patches, excited to see him improve.

* Team is coming together quickly, coaches are extremely pleased with the attitude.

* D-Lineman are hard to evaluate in mini-camps because there's no hitting, will get a better feel once training camp begins.

* Explains "hybrids" in most 3-4 teams as OLBs that become defensive ends in passing situations and the team currently has a lot of players working at this spot and learning.

* QB's frustrated him today to where he was swearing. They put as much on the QB's plates as the coaches can handle. The QB's will fail and it's the coaches job to help correct those mistakes.

* Is working with the QBs himself because he has the most knowledge and experience in the system. Also, because he'll be talking to the QBs on gameday, it goes hand-in-hand with communicating a lot during practice.

* Will use every skill Peyton Hillis has. As with Scheffler and Graham, we'll take advantage of every skill they have. He can run out of singleback, catch the ball, block in two-back sets. They're splitting him out wide because of his abilities in the passing game in addition to his tough running. Expect him to play a big role in the offense. They tell every player they have the opportunity to create their own roles and Hillis has done a good job of this.

* Elvis Dumervil missed practice for an excused personal family issue.

* Hillis can play on 3rd downs, as can 3 or 4 other backs on the roster. He'll have impact on 1st and 2nd downs along with being a matchup problem in the red zone. He'll be playing both fullback and tailback along with short yardage and goal-line situations.

* Ryan Torain will be back when he's healthy, certainly not in June.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
bronclvr
Ring of Famer
 
bronclvr's Avatar
 
She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,891
Default

Montrose,

Thank you for the recap-
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,079

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Like what I hear about Hillis. This is what needs to happen. He is a Swiss Army knife, You don't use just the can opener.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

If Orton or Simms wasn't going to be our starting QB then I would feel much better about this year. Hype up McD all you wan't about him being able to coach the best out of QB's. He isn't god and pride is a huge thing to set aside.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer
 
outdoor_miner's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,165

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Like what I hear about Hillis. This is what needs to happen. He is a Swiss Army knife, You don't use just the can opener.
It's all a ploy! Hillis is as good as gone!!! I see him being cut before TC opens! I hear the Saints need a big back, and Hillis also a big back. McDummie will McDumify the dummies and Hillis dead meat. rrrrrr!
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic
 
s0phr0syne's Avatar
 
Absorb and Redirect

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,626

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

DB.com's account for practice today:

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denver...actice-report/

Wednesday’s Practice ReportJune 3rd, 2009 - 1:36pm by Gray Caldwell

Wednesday was the second open practice of passing camp, and there was plenty of action on the field to report. Here’s a quick rundown of some of the happenings at practice.

“WE WANT DANIEL”

The defense made it known from the start of practice that they were out to stop Daniel Graham from making any plays today.

Wesley Woodyard explained:
“Daniel’s a competitor, man. He’s one of the guys who always comes out here and brings his best every day. We like to go after the best, and he’s one of the best.”

So about halfway through an offense vs. defense drill, Alphonso Smith made an acrobatic pass breakup that prevented a Graham touchdown. That got the defense fired up, and the sideline started chanting “We want Daniel!”

As usual, Woodyard was one of the most vocal taunters.

A few plays later, Graham headed back into the huddle — and immediately caught a touchdown.

“He told me, ‘Be careful what you wish for,’” Woodyard said with a laugh.

“Then the next play he got in and scored and tossed me the ball.”
Graham said it’s all in good fun, and he likes that guys are competing.

“At this point that’s what it’s all about,” Woodyard said. “Having fun.”


PLAYMAKERS

*In a route-running drill, Tony Scheffler ran up the sideline and looked back for a pass from Kyle Orton. It looked like the throw would sail just over his head, but he leaped and snagged the ball with one hand. That drew cheers from the offense, and Scheffler jogged back to the huddle pretending to try to shake the ball out of his hand.

*There were a couple big defensive plays. First, Darrell Reid snagged a fumble recovery and returned it for a touchdown. Then Mario Haggan stripped LaMont Jordan from behind, which was also recovered by the defense.

*It was the offense that might have had the biggest play of the day, however. The ball was set on the one-yard line, and both the offense and defense trotted out 11 players. Darrell Reid, Kenny Peterson and Jarvis Moss were on the defensive line, Ayers, Woodyard, D.J. Williams and Andra Davis were at linebacker, and Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkins, Jack Williams and Andre’ Goodman were in the secondary.

Chris Simms dropped back and fired a pass to Brandon Stokley that zipped right past the outstretched arms of Jack Williams. Stokley hauled it in and managed to get two feet inbounds in the end zone before spiking the ball and being met immediately by Knowshon Moreno and Peyton Hillis for a celebration.

QUICK HITS

*The three quarterbacks worked on pass location with Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Stokley. The two receivers stood near the sideline or in the corner of the end zone to practice tight catches.

*Elvis Dumervil was excused from practice today for a personal matter, Head Coach Josh McDaniels said.

In Dumervil’s place with the first string defenders — Robert Ayers.

*During 11-on-11 drills, Spencer Larsen stood beside Peyton Hillis with the offense, though he was wearing a blue defensive No. 46 jersey.

*Two other drills were interesting — Orton worked with the tight ends on route running and catching in the red zone, and the special teams unit practiced onside kicks, a play that has seen some rule changes this offseason.

*Rulon Davis was the last player to leave the field Wednesday. He worked with Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer and Special Teams Assistant Keith Burns after practice on getting loose from blockers during kickoff returns.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,163

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

I like what he said about Hillis ....Hillis is bad ass , cant stop the Razorback express baby
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
telluride
Ring of Famer
 
telluride's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,557

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--
Default

*Two other drills were interesting — Orton worked with the tight ends on route running and catching in the red zone, and the special teams unit practiced onside kicks, a play that has seen some rule changes this offseason.I read this as meaning that Orton was out there running routes and catching balls. Which would be very interesting, if true.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
broncofan2438
Faneco this...
 
broncofan2438's Avatar
 
LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: California
Posts: 6,296

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER
Default

Good stuff
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,797

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor_miner View Post
It's all a ploy! Hillis is as good as gone!!! I see him being cut before TC opens! I hear the Saints need a big back, and Hillis also a big back. McDummie will McDumify the dummies and Hillis dead meat. rrrrrr!
WTF !! go somewhere and catch the swine flu.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer
 
Gcver2ver3's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 6,585

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Quick recap:

* Happy Brandon Marshall wasn't suspended, those matters are out of their control. He's been rehabbing fine, doing everything he's supposed to. He'll have plenty of time to learn the offense in August, none of the team's injured players are at the voluntary sessions anyhow.

* All players, including injured, must be in for next week's mandatory camp.

* Happy with Matt Prater, they're putting him in different situations and he's doing well. Common for young kickers to go through rough patches, excited to see him improve.

* Team is coming together quickly, coaches are extremely pleased with the attitude.

* D-Lineman are hard to evaluate in mini-camps because there's no hitting, will get a better feel once training camp begins.

* Explains "hybrids" in most 3-4 teams as OLBs that become defensive ends in passing situations and the team currently has a lot of players working at this spot and learning.

* QB's frustrated him today to where he was swearing. They put as much on the QB's plates as the coaches can handle. The QB's will fail and it's the coaches job to help correct those mistakes.

* Is working with the QBs himself because he has the most knowledge and experience in the system. Also, because he'll be talking to the QBs on gameday, it goes hand-in-hand with communicating a lot during practice.

* Will use every skill Peyton Hillis has. As with Scheffler and Graham, we'll take advantage of every skill they have. He can run out of singleback, catch the ball, block in two-back sets. They're splitting him out wide because of his abilities in the passing game in addition to his tough running. Expect him to play a big role in the offense. They tell every player they have the opportunity to create their own roles and Hillis has done a good job of this.

* Elvis Dumervil missed practice for an excused personal family issue.

* Hillis can play on 3rd downs, as can 3 or 4 other backs on the roster. He'll have impact on 1st and 2nd downs along with being a matchup problem in the red zone. He'll be playing both fullback and tailback along with short yardage and goal-line situations.

* Ryan Torain will be back when he's healthy, certainly not in June.
thats the best avy i've seen in months...

Kid-N-Play REP!...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #14
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,742

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

If our line plays as well as last season, Moreno and Hillis is going to be sick as a combo.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic
 
s0phr0syne's Avatar
 
Absorb and Redirect

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,626

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
If our line plays as well as last season, Moreno and Hillis is going to be sick as a combo.

Agree that they will be a highly effective combination, but you know what we're missing with those two (and the rest of our RB stable)?

We don't have a speed guy. Hell, Hillis maybe our fastest back. I really wish we could have kept Alridge to develop...he would have brought a good scat element to our RBs, as well as being valuable on ST as KR and possibly PR. I think the new regime threw him out too quickly.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #16
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,742

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
Agree that they will be a highly effective combination, but you know what we're missing with those two (and the rest of our RB stable)?

We don't have a speed guy. Hell, Hillis maybe our fastest back. I really wish we could have kept Alridge to develop...he would have brought a good scat element to our RBs, as well as being valuable on ST as KR and possibly PR. I think the new regime threw him out too quickly.
And that I agree on, I actually thought about, not a lot of speed.

But we need better red zone scoring, so the combo of the two will be effective in that respect.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #17
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

All of us smart ones knew Hillis wasn't going to be traded or cut. Many might hate McD because of the Cutler drama but they man has 2 eyes and the tape clearly shows what a frickin stud Hillis is. For the price of his contract, a coach would have to be a total idiot to try and get rid of him.

Damn, I can't wait until training camp starts. You gotta love some Broncos football baby. New season, new hopes, it's all good.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #18
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,752

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
*Two other drills were interesting Orton worked with the tight ends on route running and catching in the red zone, and the special teams unit practiced onside kicks, a play that has seen some rule changes this offseason.

I read this as meaning that Orton was out there running routes and catching balls. Which would be very interesting, if true.
two quarterback plays, like ravens did last year with flacco and smith. i like.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #19
ward63
Go Broncos!
 
ward63's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,228

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
two quarterback plays, like ravens did last year with flacco and smith. i like.
I don't see Kyle Orton or Chris Simms with Troy Smith-like speed...
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #20
ward63
Go Broncos!
 
ward63's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,228

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
Agree that they will be a highly effective combination, but you know what we're missing with those two (and the rest of our RB stable)?

We don't have a speed guy. Hell, Hillis maybe our fastest back. I really wish we could have kept Alridge to develop...he would have brought a good scat element to our RBs, as well as being valuable on ST as KR and possibly PR. I think the new regime threw him out too quickly.
I must say you may be right, but TD didn't have great speed and with our defense...Idk if I want a ton of big plays from our RB's. Just to put the D out there to get destroyed
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,299
Default

Mcdaniels seems to be getting more comfortable and looks good as Broncos H/C. I like how they made Prater feel he is the man by not bringing in any kickers. For kickers is all about the head and IMO that is a good strategy. Prater gains confidence because the Broncos are showing confidence in him.

Hillis and Moreno is going to be a nightmare backfield. with Graham and that oline eeeesh. How would you like to be a linebacker having to deal with Hillis in the hole? It's bad enough Graham blocks like an olineman, but Hillis hits like a truck.

I think our running game is going to be really physical. The days of Selvin Young type rbs are over in Denver.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
All of us smart ones knew Hillis wasn't going to be traded or cut. Many might hate McD because of the Cutler drama but they man has 2 eyes and the tape clearly shows what a frickin stud Hillis is. For the price of his contract, a coach would have to be a total idiot to try and get rid of him.

Damn, I can't wait until training camp starts. You gotta love some Broncos football baby. New season, new hopes, it's all good.
I was always thinking its players like Stokely that should worry. If your young, physical, versatile, Mcsmashmouth will love you.

The surprise cuts IMO will be players who don't play special teams, aren't physical, and who only play one position. Make a list of them because they are on there way out.

IMO Stokley not safe.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #23
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,752

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward63 View Post
I don't see Kyle Orton or Chris Simms with Troy Smith-like speed...
it wasnt troy smith who caught the TD, he threw it to flacco.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,150

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
* Will use every skill Peyton Hillis has. As with Scheffler and Graham, we'll take advantage of every skill they have. He can run out of singleback, catch the ball, block in two-back sets. They're splitting him out wide because of his abilities in the passing game in addition to his tough running. Expect him to play a big role in the offense. They tell every player they have the opportunity to create their own roles and Hillis has done a good job of this.
This would be something I'd give McD some positives for if he follows through with this into the season. We do have some very versitile players who can cause a lot of confusion and matchup problems if we change thing son the fly.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #25
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,965

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

I like McD.

I was walking around campus today, and now that I'm back in Denver, I'm realizing that people aren't too high on the Broncos this year.

If Orton plays at merely an above-average level, we could have a better record next year than last. I like those odds because I like what I'm hearing about Orton - hard working, smart, accurate...

McD seems like he's hitting the ground running with this coaching thing. He made some rookie mistakes, but I like what I see.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Denver Broncos