The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2011, 02:33 AM   #276
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Then he would be judged on the fact that his intent was to execute the kid.
If I remember my criminal law course oh so many years ago, that's the defense of impossibility. In that case, it doesn't matter what you intend if you cannot accomplish it. In that case, they might charge him with defacing a corpse.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:40 AM   #277
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Just a bad situation all around. I don't really like putting people in prison who are not a threat to law abiding citizens. Also though you dont get to play executioner and judge in the USA. So I understand the verdict, but don't like it. I think its too long a sentence for someone who only shoots people who rob him.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #278
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I wouldn't have found him guilty. The video says all. The kid got what he deserved.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #279
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

As much as I didn't mind the outcome, it looked pretty guilty to me. Not sure why they went without the option of manslaughter though. Not sure who the governor is but letting him out after a short sentence would be justified. The defendent didn't look for the trouble as the trouble came to him. He just couldn't control himself after the fact. He did save all of us from being a victim from the dead kid though. He was a hero to many for that part.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #280
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
As much as I didn't mind the outcome, it looked pretty guilty to me. Not sure why they went without the option of manslaughter though. Not sure who the governor is but letting him out after a short sentence would be justified. The defendent didn't look for the trouble as the trouble came to him. He just couldn't control himself after the fact. He did save all of us from being a victim from the dead kid though. He was a hero to many for that part.
I first thought the same thing until I read the full news report.

Quote:
Jurors were given the option of finding Ersland guilty of first-degree manslaughter instead or of acquitting him completely.
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-phar...#ixzz1NaelI5In
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #281
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I wouldn't have found him guilty. The video says all. The kid got what he deserved.
When did Armed Robbery become a Capital Crime?
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #282
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
About the time all the stand your ground laws came to be.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #283
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Could be when you bought the weapon, but most when one pull it on someone with the intent to harm someone else with one. Which is what the little turd did.

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 05-30-2011 at 01:17 PM..
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #284
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

His mistake was not turning his camera off.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #285
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

One less piece of **** on this planet now. Good job.

Edit: Saw the guy who killed that trash is the one ****ed due to the pansy ass jury. I was referred to the dead piece of ****, not the guy who threw it away.

Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 05-30-2011 at 06:13 PM..
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #286
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
One less piece of **** on this planet now. Good job.

Edit: Saw the guy who killed that trash is the one ****ed due to the pansy ass jury. I was referred to the dead piece of ****, not the guy who threw it away.
Yikes. It's easy to fall under the influence of anyone at age 16, dude couldn't even vote, yet we all decide he deserved to be murdered. And yes, it was plainly murder.

Sorry to bring this up from the tomb, but dayum.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #287
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

This case is definitely one of the reasons we have laws and a court system. It's a very gray area the judge and jury are forced to make a decision on. Was the guy right or did he overstep his rights as a citizen to defend himself? IMHO the guy probably didn't need to plug the kid with 5 more holes after intitially shooting the kid. Once the kid was down, he could have disarmed the kid and then called the cops and let the cops then deal with the situation. Unfortunately, he chose to "finish off" the robber and that is where he crossed the line. We, as civilized citizens, have to know when it is ok to shoot someone and when it is best to let the judicial and penal system take over. Granted, sometimes it's hard to make the right decision but this is what separates us from the animals.

If I was the judge I'd give the guy a very light sentence and then a few years of probation. His life is already destroyed, what is there left to prove?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #288
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
This case is definitely one of the reasons we have laws and a court system. It's a very gray area the judge and jury are forced to make a decision on. Was the guy right or did he overstep his rights as a citizen to defend himself? IMHO the guy probably didn't need to plug the kid with 5 more holes after intitially shooting the kid. Once the kid was down, he could have disarmed the kid and then called the cops and let the cops then deal with the situation. Unfortunately, he chose to "finish off" the robber and that is where he crossed the line. We, as civilized citizens, have to know when it is ok to shoot someone and when it is best to let the judicial and penal system take over. Granted, sometimes it's hard to make the right decision but this is what separates us from the animals.

If I was the judge I'd give the guy a very light sentence and then a few years of probation. His life is already destroyed, what is there left to prove?
Knowledgeable take, great post. It's hard to put myself in his shoes. I'm not saying I wouldn't have shot him, but 5 more after he's got one in the head is pretty intense.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #289
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Dumbass Pharmacist. He did it wrong.

Still, one less criminal on the streets in the Parker boy.

I would feel bad for his parents but they are clearly douchebag parents that don't know how to ****ing raise a child.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #290
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I keep thinking back to that scenario in the Battle of Falujah so many moons ago when the Marine went into a mosque (I believe it was) and an injured guy was laying against the wall, nearly unconscious. The guy moved the slightest bit and the Marine shot him and it was all caught on camera.

That Marine didn't face any charges at all. Meanwhile, this guy who has never been trained to deal with the stresses of a gunfight was found guilty. I hate the ruling.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #291
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Penal Code
A person also commits the crime of murder in the first degree, regardless of malice, when that person or any other person takes the life of a human being during, or if the death of a human being results from, the commission or attempted commission of murder of another person, shooting or discharge of a firearm or crossbow with intent to kill, intentional discharge of a firearm or other deadly weapon into any dwelling or building as provided in Section 1289.17A of this title, forcible rape, robbery with a dangerous weapon, kidnapping, escape from lawful custody, first degree burglary, first degree arson, unlawful distributing or dispensing of controlled dangerous substances, or trafficking in illegal drugs.
This pharmacist, while he crossed the line, most likely prevented a capital crime from being committed and most likely saved those involved who influenced this child to commit armed robbery.

So while he took the life of one, he may have inadvertently saved the lives of others including himself.

The only thing we know for absolute certain is that this Parker kid will never threaten anyone ever again.

Does the pharmacist deserve his punishment? Legally, unequivocally yes and the jury was absolutely correct in its verdict. Morally however, it is another story. People react to hostile situations differently. THis guy was clearly initially frightened, then survival instincts kicked in, then rage set in and retribution was in order (in his mind). It is very hard to judge the man because you were not in his situation and you cannot know, until it happens to you, exactly how you will react.

My initial reaction of watching the video was "Good for the pharmacist", and that is because I believe in my gut that my reaction - while possibly different - would be similar to his own. I can sit back after reading about the law and listening to others and wonder if he did do the right thing but your gut reaction of watching that video is probably going to resemble closer your actual reaction had the events happened to you.

I doubt very seriously that many people felt sympathy for that kid on first viewing and I suspect that most, whether they admit it or not, are on the pharmacist's side even if they cannot give any logical reasoning behind it and knowing in hindsight that legally he was in the wrong.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #292
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The right to defend yourself does not excuse you from being punished for having a temper. The storekeeper left the store, came back in, got ANOTHER gun and proceeded to shoot the kid 5 more times. What kept him from taking the unconscious robbers gun, therein assuring his safety and waiting for the police?
The man was unable to control his bloodlust, he came back and commited a premeditated act by unloading 5 rounds into an incapacitated child. Once the threat to his person was removed after the first shot, his following actions were no longer in self-defense. Although this crime was not committed in cold blood, it's still murder in my opinion. Not 1st degree though.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #293
SoonerBronco
Rocket Man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wahoo McDaniel

http://www.newsok.com/pharmacist-con...ad_story_title

Jerome Ersland notes from Jail...
SoonerBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #294
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBronco View Post

He wrote he had been in his cell only five minutes when the sheriff brought him legal papers notifying him Parker's mother had filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against him and the pharmacy. “She wants everything I have” and “the Reliable owners have,” he wrote.

Talk about adding insult to injury.....someone really needs to off her too. The world would be a better place.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote