The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Simms and Orton in stiff competition

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12482090

Simms giving Orton stiff competition at quarterback
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/30/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 05/30/2009 01:41:12 AM MDT

Chris Simms has chucked his way back into the quarterback competition. ................... ( He was never OUT of the competition)

.................................................. ..................

"I understand everybody else looking at it that way, but to me it doesn't even matter," Simms said. "Regardless, I'm coming out here trying to do my best, trying to learn the offense and compete. At the end of the day, you do your best and let the coaches make their decision."

Simms clearly got more first-team reps in the passing camp session Thursday that was open to the media.

[SIZE="3"]Has Simms moved ahead of Orton in the quarterback competition?

"No," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "Same thing. Both of them will take reps with the (first team), and we're going to keep doing that until it becomes clear and apparent, and it's not yet. They're both doing some good things, and they're both making some mistakes. When one seems to put himself ahead of the other, then it will be an easy decision."

The front three?

In the three minicamp sessions that have been open to the media, the three defensive linemen who have played the most in the Broncos' 3-4 base defense have been Kenny Peterson, Ryan McBean and Ronald Fields.

Broncos fans are familiar with Peterson, who is entering his fourth season in Denver, but may not know much about McBean or Fields. McBean was a fourth-round draft choice of the Steelers in 2007 and spent all of last season on the Broncos' practice squad. Fields started nine games at nose tackle for Mike Nolan's 49ers in 2006. Nolan is now the Broncos' defensive coordinator.

"Both (McBean and Fields) have the characteristics we look for," McDaniels said. "They're going to be physical players that are also active. They're not going to stand in there and do nothing and hold up on the tackle. They're going to move and stunt and pass rush. Those two players have done well for themselves this spring, but there's more than a handful that have done well."

Hold on, kids.

It's way early, but so far veterans are holding off the Broncos' top draft picks for first-string positions. (Duh! This is what like the rookies sixth practice in the NFL? Lets see where it is the end of training camp)

.................................................. ....... Mike Klis, The Denver Post
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Its good news that both QBs are battling it out and doing well. May the best one in this system win.

And even if McD knew for a fact he was going to tap either Orton or Simms for the top spot already, its only smart to keep them guessing and competing as hard as possible while the whole team learns the new system and gets up to speed.

Seeing that even the QB isn't anointed up front will make all the other new players feel they too have a shot at winning their spots and only a few will be handed to them out of expectation and experience up front. Champ, Dawkins, Clady, Harris and Royal are locks .. maybe Marshall when he's healthy and back on the field, but most of the rest are up for grabs .. or at least that's what they want everyone to think.

Whatever the outcome we should have two decent competitive QB's on staff this year. And if one goes down, or has a slump, we're not necessarily going to be totally FUBAR'ed or even have much of a drop off, if any.

Ideally you have an Elway or Manning back there with no questions. but in this scenario honest competition is a good thing.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12482090
In the three minicamp sessions that have been open to the media, the three defensive linemen who have played the most in the Broncos' 3-4 base defense have been Kenny Peterson, Ryan McBean and Ronald Fields.

Broncos fans are familiar with Peterson, who is entering his fourth season in Denver, but may not know much about McBean or Fields. McBean was a fourth-round draft choice of the Steelers in 2007 and spent all of last season on the Broncos' practice squad. Fields started nine games at nose tackle for Mike Nolan's 49ers in 2006. Nolan is now the Broncos' defensive coordinator.

"Both (McBean and Fields) have the characteristics we look for," McDaniels said. "They're going to be physical players that are also active. They're not going to stand in there and do nothing and hold up on the tackle. They're going to move and stunt and pass rush. Those two players have done well for themselves this spring, but there's more than a handful that have done well."

Hold on, kids.

It's way early, but so far veterans are holding off the Broncos' top draft picks for first-string positions. (Duh! This is what like the rookies sixth practice in the NFL? Lets see where it is the end of training camp)

.................................................. ....... Mike Klis, The Denver Post
Agreed, this early on and McDaniels somewhat unfamiliar with the players at his disposal he is going to be putting as close to known quantities on the field as possible. Even if he likes a rookie he needs to see how guys stack up against guys he already has tape on. I'm lazy today, anyone have any good info on McBean? If not I will track some down when motivation strikes.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInSkinland View Post
Agreed, this early on and McDaniels somewhat unfamiliar with the players at his disposal he is going to be putting as close to known quantities on the field as possible. Even if he likes a rookie he needs to see how guys stack up against guys he already has tape on. I'm lazy today, anyone have any good info on McBean? If not I will track some down when motivation strikes.
In a thread about month ago, I posted his college highlights from Oklahoma State (but I don't remember which thread).

Oh, here it is. Not much to see, but he is a good solid 290 athlete. Not much goo, and he started his career being drafted by the Steelers as a 3-4 DE.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/nfl-dr...an-McBean-2251
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I'll be the first to say it... McD sucks. His picks can't even beat out a PS player in McBean and/or a "has-been" in Peterson. We're doomed and Mc* was sent by Aliens to demolish the earth, starting in DENVER. OH:
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
I'll be the first to say it... McD sucks. His picks can't even beat out a PS player in McBean and/or a "has-been" in Peterson. We're doomed and Mc* was sent by Aliens to demolish the earth, starting in DENVER. OH:
What picks are you referring to?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

He's joking
Old 05-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

A few weeks ago people were penciling in Jarvis Moss and Daryl Reid as starting LB's. It means as much now as it did then...nothing.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 05-30-2009 at 07:48 AM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

We're all good as long as Simms and Orton don't get in a stiffy competition...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
A few weeks ago people were penciling in Jarvis Moss and Daryl Reid as stargint LB's. It means as much now as it did then...nothing.
As far as Moss is concerned it's a good thing they used a pencil...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
I'm lazy today, anyone have any good info on McBean? If not I will track some down when motivation strikes.
Aside from the fact that he used to live down the street from me?

Here's what Steelers D-ine coach John Mitchel had to say in their 2007 training camp: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07217/807129-150.stm

"He needs a lot more time," Mitchell said of the 6-foot-5, 290-pounder who kept turning up in opposing backfields all over the Big 12. "He is awfully quick, and as soon as he learns the game I think he's going to be a good football player, but that's not going to be next week or next month or even next year."
Old 05-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Hmm, fairly high praise from Steelers D-Line coach, thats a plus. I'll temper it with the fact that they let him go, but maybe Nolan can do something with him. Big, fast, and I like the way he pursues the run on the highlight reel. One more that could be a possibility. Thanks for the info all. =)
Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

reading this thread title i expected to read a few sexual jokes about the title when i opened the thread
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Hmm, fairly high praise from Steelers D-Line coach, thats a plus. I'll temper it with the fact that they let him go, but maybe Nolan can do something with him. Big, fast, and I like the way he pursues the run on the highlight reel. One more that could be a possibility. Thanks for the info all. =)
A few things you should know about McBean, who played down here in HS. He grew up playing soccer barefoot on the streets of Kingston Jamaica and lived in a shack with a tin roof in shantytown. He saw kids being sold on the streets for food. He moved to Brooklyn and lived in the Jamaican section at 14. He didn't play football till HS and put his pads on backwards the first time. He played only two years or organized football then went to a JUCO in Mississippi before transfering to Okie State. He was consdiered VERY raw coming out of college, a true project player, but made it to the last cuts in the Steelers camp. He's got a great burst off the line, a non stop motor and he's hungry. If you're looking for the surprise breakthrough out of these no-names on the line, he's not a bad candidate since it's probably only now that he's starting to develop.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Sorry about the thread jack. I certainly hope the QB competition is Simms doing well and not Orton doing poorly. Can't wait for TC so we can get some eyes on reporting on all this stuff.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #16
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I really don't know about Kenny Peterson and Ryan McBean starting over Marcus Thomas (who I think is a better run stuffer and quicker first step). But I did like Ryan Mcbean coming out of college though. But he may just be a diamond in the rough though.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Thanks for the story, Hulamau. Appreciate all of the good reading you've posted for us as of late.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #18
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
You're getting hard to figure out. You're sometimes positive, sometimes negative.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 AM   #19
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
We're all good as long as Simms and Orton don't get in a stiffy competition...
Cause we all know what Orton does to stiffys.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #20
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Kyle Shanahan says that Simms' stiffy is the best. He's the son of a mastermind so he must know something.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #21
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I've seen how Orton performs when faced with stiff competition.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I've seen how Orton performs when faced with stiff competition.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
judging from this picture he performs like my ex did when faced with stiff competition

so he should be pretty damn good dealing with the stiff competition
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #23
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

cripple fight.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
A few things you should know about McBean, who played down here in HS. He grew up playing soccer barefoot on the streets of Kingston Jamaica and lived in a shack with a tin roof in shantytown. He saw kids being sold on the streets for food. He moved to Brooklyn and lived in the Jamaican section at 14. He didn't play football till HS and put his pads on backwards the first time. He played only two years or organized football then went to a JUCO in Mississippi before transfering to Okie State. He was consdiered VERY raw coming out of college, a true project player, but made it to the last cuts in the Steelers camp. He's got a great burst off the line, a non stop motor and he's hungry. If you're looking for the surprise breakthrough out of these no-names on the line, he's not a bad candidate since it's probably only now that he's starting to develop.
I think both Peterson and Mcbean will be better at the DE spot then people think. IMO Peterson a little under rated on this board I think he has played well when given the chance.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:02 AM   #25
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

I could care less who...but ONE of these guys better separate himself from the the other. Midway through TC, Josh better pick his guy and run with it.

The idea of going into the season flip flopping between the two, sickens me.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote