The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Default Nugget's player: 50,000 bribe to the refs?

Lakers, Nuggets downplay refs' whistles ahead of Game 6
By Robert Hanashiro, USA TODAY

The Lakers' Pau Gasol gets tied up in an elbow-bumping battle under the boards with Denver's Chris Andersen during Game 5.

2009 NBA PLAYOFFS

By David Leon Moore, USA TODAY
Enough with the back and forth on the officiating in the Western Conference finals.
That's the view of veteran Los Angeles Lakers guard Derek Fisher, who said Thursday that he has heard all he wants to about his team getting all the calls in Wednesday's victory in Los Angeles and the Denver Nuggets getting all the calls in their victory Monday in Denver.

X-FACTOR?: Lakers' Odom looks for consistency

Lakers coach Phil Jackson began the discussion with remarks after Monday's Game 4 that resulted in $25,000 fines for himself and the Lakers from the NBA.

Denver coach George Karl complained about the refs after Wednesday's Game 5, and an anonymous Nuggets player, according to a report in The Denver Post, said the Lakers "paid $50,000 to win that game. They got their money's worth."

Slow down, Fisher said.

"Both coaches have coached enough basketball to know the officiating is going to vary at times," Fisher said. "It's never the same. Still, coaches feel compelled sometimes to state their cases for their teams.

"We'll go to Denver (Friday for Game 6), and the game will be called differently. That's just the way it is. I mean, in high school, you go across town, and you know you aren't getting calls. At the highest level of the sport, why would it be any different?"

Jackson, asked Thursday about the Nuggets player's comment, said, "That's unfortunate. ... I don't want to make an issue out of that. That's not something we want to focus on."

Karl insisted Thursday that he wasn't blaming the officials for Denver's demise. But he took another shot at them when saying some of his younger players were letting the officiating get to them.

"We're hoping and we believe that the officiating won't be a problem," Karl said. "When you're getting hit in the back of the head, knocked on your (backside), you're human beings; you react to people of authority."

Around the hardwood:

Oklahoma forward Blake Griffin, appearing Thursday at the NBA draft combine in Chicago, wasn't ready to sign a mortgage in the Southern California area or declare himself going to the Los Angeles Clippers with the No. 1 pick. "I'm planning it as if I don't know right now, which I don't," he said. "I'm not going to guarantee anything. I'm going through it just like everybody else is." ... Dallas Mavericks guard J.J. Barea had successful surgery Thursday to repair cartilage damage in his left shoulder. ... Portland Trail Blazers guard Steve Blake is scheduled for arthroscopic shoulder surgery today in Los Angeles. Blake separated the shoulder Jan. 14 against the Philadelphia 76ers and missed five games before aggravating the injury Jan. 26 against the Clippers.

Contributing: Matt Poms, wire reports
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Denver has no room to complain.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
bombay
Ring of Famer

What he said was that Jackson and the lakers got their money's worth on the $50K fine they paid for comments about officiating after game 4. He didn't say bribe, and who's to say if Jackson's remarks had any effect on game 5 officiating.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
Punisher
Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

The thing about the NBA the refs are more involved in the game.So they look really bad when they blow a call.Plus when the Lakers are playing everyone thinks its a conspiracy.
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
What he said was that Jackson and the lakers got their money's worth on the $50K fine they paid for comments about officiating after game 4. He didn't say bribe, and who's to say if Jackson's remarks had any effect on game 5 officiating.
in all fairness Jackson pointed to a few really cheap plays where Nuggets were tripping players. He probably wouldn't say anything for normal hard fouls, but tripping players is really dangerous.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

But yeah i understood the joke the player was doing. He's saying the fine was the bribe, yeah we get it.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
slyinky

Thar she Blows!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
in all fairness Jackson pointed to a few really cheap plays where Nuggets were tripping players. He probably wouldn't say anything for normal hard fouls, but tripping players is really dangerous.
Dahntay Jones tripped Kobe once, what are the other occasions "where Nuggets were tripping players"?
slyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
BuckinKaeding
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
No-Yards Morano

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyinky View Post
Dahntay Jones tripped Kobe once, what are the other occasions "where Nuggets were tripping players"?
None other times, but check how many fouls each team has had in this series, I bet its pretty even.
BuckinKaeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding View Post
None other times, but check how many fouls each team has had in this series, I bet its pretty even.
Ya, it's like 130/140 IIRC
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyinky View Post
according to Jackson there was other stuff. I could care less I say just play the games. My point was Denver has no room to cry, they have been playing physical this whole series.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #12
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Rebuilding both offense and defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I honestly believe NBA will try their best to get Kobe Lebron matchup. Lets face it thats the matchup that will get them the best ratings.

I have stopped watching the games after watching game 1 and just check scores the next day - because I beleive when push comes to shove (i.e.) if it gets down to game 7 and 4th quarter Nuggets don't have a punters chance of getting a call in their favor. If Melo threw the same hissy fits that Kobe does every time a call goes against them he would have been thrown out long ago but he is a star so they pick on Nene.

I think the refs will favor Nuggets tonight and then take it away next game. Thats just the way it is for small market teams like Den without a star.
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
it does. look at every timeout or stoppage of play and you have Kobe or Jackson or other Lakers b****ing to the refs about calls not going their way while the Nuggets are busy working out strategy for the game of Chauncey is helping out other players.

the Lakers constant b****ing is getting the refs to give them non existant or bull**** calls
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #14
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerdenver View Post
I honestly believe NBA will try their best to get Kobe Lebron matchup. Lets face it thats the matchup that will get them the best ratings.
Those two certainly have enough commercials showing on TV!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
it does. look at every timeout or stoppage of play and you have Kobe or Jackson or other Lakers b****ing to the refs about calls not going their way while the Nuggets are busy working out strategy for the game of Chauncey is helping out other players.

the Lakers constant b****ing is getting the refs to give them non existant or bull**** calls

Well, yeah, probably.

The thing about it is, the lakers don't have to ask.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post

So, the Lakers can't win at Denver? I'm still waiting for a reply to that one.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote