The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default mcdaniels/scheffler comments...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/46415232.html

Quote:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Tony Scheffler has no beef with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and insists he's on board even after the team traded his good buddy, Jay Cutler.

Any friction that might have existed dissipated after a recent chat with his head coach.

Scheffler and McDaniels sat down to discuss the tight end's role with the team. The conversation was cathartic.

"Everything's fine," Scheffler said Thursday after the third day of passing camp. "It's not about me. It's not about any individual on this team right now. We're really focused on the team and moving forward. I think we're doing a lot of good things."

There were rumors swirling in the offseason that Denver was shopping Scheffler, not sure how he would fit into the new, intricate offense McDaniels was implementing. The meeting with McDaniels staunched those.

As for frayed feelings, there are none.

"Water off a duck's back move forward and move to the next day," said Scheffler, who caught 40 passes for 645 yards and three touchdowns last season. "You can't really have hurt feelings in this league or else you'll get left behind in a hurry."

These days, McDaniels is envisioning a big role for his reliable receiving tight end, who's looks slimmer and sleeker.

"Tony's a very, very highly skilled player," McDaniels said. "He can do a lot of things. He can run, he can catch, he can block. We're going to take advantage of every skill that he has. He's made a good impression on our team here."

McDaniels admits he's never coached a tight end quite like Scheffler, one with the ability to stretch the field with a combination of speed and athleticism.

"Tony is probably the most skilled pass-receiving tight end that I've had an opportunity to be around," McDaniels said. "That's a weapon for us that we can move around on the field. We're going to try to feature him in that role."

If Scheffler can just stay healthy. That's been the knock on Scheffler, who missed three games with a groin injury last season and was bothered by a broken foot before the 2007 season.

"The whole hurt label is kind of overrated with me," he said. "I've only missed four games in three years, if you really look at it. It's frustrating, don't get me wrong, but at the same time it's something you've got to battle through and learn from. I think I've done that. It makes you really appreciate being on the field and being out there with the guys."

Scheffler and Cutler formed quite the connection after the two were taken in the same draft class. Scheffler was a frequent target for the strong-armed quarterback when Cutler found himself in a jam.

However, that came to a halt when Cutler was traded to the Bears in the offseason after deciding he didn't want to play for McDaniels.

Scheffler and Cutler remain close, frequently texting and talking.

"I'm sure Jay is going to have a lot of success, a ton of success, in Chicago," Scheffler said.

McDaniels understands the loyalty.

"I'm sure there were quite a few players that had relationships with Jay," McDaniels said. "But they've done a great job of saying, 'You know what? This is our team now, these are our quarterbacks.'"

Those quarterbacks would be Chris Simms and Kyle Orton, who are in a hotly contested tussle to land Cutler's spot. McDaniels prefers to wait and see who gains the upper hand through minicamps.

"I think the (players) have embraced both Chris and I," said Orton, who was acquired as part of the Cutler deal. "We've come in here, worked hard and pretty much kept our mouths shut and tried to improve every day."

So far, Scheffler likes what he sees from both of them.

"We've got two pretty darn good quarterbacks," he said.

Scheffler's unsure what his precise role will be, only that he's hoping to find himself locked up in coverage by a linebacker.

"Those are the matchups I've got to win," Scheffler said. "There's a lot of weapons on the field, so when your number is called you've got to step up and make a play or else you don't know when the next one's going to come."
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

"You can't really have hurt feelings in this league or else you'll get left behind in a hurry."

He should Twitter that to his buddy Jay...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

good read...

thanks...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

McDummy will end up trading him for a 5th and then turn around and trade our 1st for another long snapper.

STFU!!

And this stuff about raw hide and feeding pigs. Man I need a new tractor.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Awesome. Good luck Tony, Josh and Jay. I hope they all have success.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

A sure sign that Hillis & Scheff will be gone by August.....I heard on the light rail McD tilted his head the wrong way when he was quoted....And he may have cut his eyes to the left also. OH NOES!!!!
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

OMG, tell me he didn't cut his eyes to the left. NOT THE Fing LEFT!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
These days, McDaniels is envisioning a big role for his reliable receiving tight end, who's looks slimmer and sleeker.

Quote:
McDaniels admits he's never coached a tight end quite like Scheffler, one with the ability to stretch the field with a combination of speed and athleticism.

"Tony is probably the most skilled pass-receiving tight end that I've had an opportunity to be around," McDaniels said. "That's a weapon for us that we can move around on the field. We're going to try to feature him in that role."

I have a feeling he's going to wind up at WR by the end of the year, or at least playing there about half the time. I don't see any other way to get 3 TE's playing time, and he's the only one who can swing out wide.

A red zone offense with 6'5" and 6'4" receivers and Royal in the slot is interesting to say the least.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
"You can't really have hurt feelings in this league or else you'll get left behind in a hurry."

He should Twitter that to his buddy Jay...
Actually, Jay can. In case you werent aware, Chicago was one of the two teams he wanted to go to.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
A sure sign that Hillis & Scheff will be gone by August.....I heard on the light rail McD tilted his head the wrong way when he was quoted....And he may have cut his eyes to the left also. OH NOES!!!!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post

I have a feeling he's going to wind up at WR by the end of the year, or at least playing there about half the time. I don't see any other way to get 3 TE's playing time, and he's the only one who can swing out wide.

A red zone offense with 6'5" and 6'4" receivers and Royal in the slot is interesting to say the least.
i'd love that offense.

we have so many weapons it almost isn't fair. we may be fielding an offense with as many as 9 legit receiving options(WRs, TEs and RBs) with as many as 5 of them on the field at once.

we could very well field an offense that has too many weapons to be stopped.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post

And a red zone line up with Marshall, Scheff, Moreno. Hillis and Royal ....

or Marshall, Scheff, Moreno, Royal & Stokley/Gaffney ...

or the power formation of Graham, Quinn, Scheff/Marshall, Moreno & Hillis

Lots of fun weapons this year!
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:09 AM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
McDummy will end up trading him for a 5th and then turn around and trade our 1st for another long snapper.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:36 AM   #14
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Zona, that one flew over you head it appears. The rest of my post should have clued you in.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:57 AM   #15
backup qb
Ring of Famer

Good to hear. Hope they both mean it.
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #16
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Actually, Jay can. In case you werent aware, Chicago was one of the two teams he wanted to go to.
LMAO!! Only Lex
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

"Everything's fine," Scheffler said Thursday after the third day of passing camp. "It's not about me. It's not about any individual on this team right now. We're really focused on the team and moving forward. I think we're doing a lot of good things."

It's unfortunate his old buddy just didn't seem to get it. TS > JC
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #18
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Did you notice the rhythmic blinking? A SURE sign.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #19
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post

It's unfortunate his old buddy just didn't seem to get it. TS > JC
What do you expect him to say? "I'm losing my place in the offense and this team sucks"

Dude wants to keep his job. He, unlike Cutler has no leverage to get traded where he wants.

I can't wait for the fluff to go away .... Their really won't be any awnsers until the first preseason game.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #20
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
Scheffler and Cutler remain close, frequently texting and talking.
TRAITOR!!
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #21
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
weeerrreee dooooooommmed!!! DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!1111 1!!!!11111!!!!!
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #22
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Like everything else these days....."we'll see"
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #23
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
OMG, tell me he didn't cut his eyes to the left. NOT THE Fing LEFT!!!
I think I'm being made fun of here for some comments I made during the jay debacle, or am I being too arrogant? Anyway, I was correct. Body language tells it all, there's no controlling it.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #24
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazi_kal View Post
What do you expect him to say? "I'm losing my place in the offense and this team sucks"

Dude wants to keep his job. He, unlike Cutler has no leverage to get traded where he wants.

I can't wait for the fluff to go away .... Their really won't be any awnsers until the first preseason game.
He could say nothing. Unlike Jay Cutler, who turned his back on his teammates.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #25
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Rebuilding both offense and defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Unlike Jay Cutler, who turned his back on his teammates.
I am just curious doesn't the support thing go both ways? How many of Jay's team mates offered a single word of support to him in the first few weeks of news breaking out when media was portraying him as the 'anit-team' primadonna/crybaby?
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote