The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default We found a defense! or, We lost an offense!

from denverbroncos.com blog.

Thursday’s Practice Recap
May 28th, 2009 - 2:44pm by Gray Caldwell

The team reached day number three of passing camp on Thursday, and the practice was open to the media. Here are a few quick hits from today’s session.

POSTURING FOR POSITION

You can’t read too much into a depth chart during passing camp, but it looked like the first team defense consisted of Ryan McBean, Ronald Fields and Kenny Peterson on the line, Darrell Reid and Elvis Dumervil at outside linebacker, Andra Davis and D.J. Williams at the inside linebacker spots, Champ Bailey and Andre’ Goodman at cornerback and Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill at safety.
Spencer Larsen spent some time both in the backfield and with the linebackers.
LaMont Jordan decided to try out a new position as the team was switching between drills — he pulled Brett Kern aside and set up as the long snapper. It looks like Jordan will stick with the running back position, because let’s just say the snap didn’t hit its target.

FIELDING PUNTS, CIRCUS STYLE

Six players practiced fielding punts as Kern and Britton Colquitt alternated lofting the ball downfield. Eddie Royal went first, followed by Nate Swift, Alphonso Smith, Kenny McKinley, David Grimes and Matt Willis.

After the first round of catches, the drill got a little more interesting. The players then tried to field punts with a ball in one hand. Then a ball in each hand. Then finally with three balls already in their arms — Royal, Swift and Smith successfully fielded the fourth.

Then, after practice, a player stepped up to field a punt who you shouldn’t expect to see in that position on Sundays. The offense chose undrafted free agent defensive tackle Chris Baker to field a punt to save the defense from extra meetings.

The 6-foot-2, 326-pound lineman watched the punt directly into his hands with no problem, much to the delight of his defensive teammates. That included Wesley Woodyard, who then punted the ball high in the air in celebration.

MAKING PLAYS

During one drill, the offense lined up in the red zone with :01 left on the clock — one play to decide the hypothetical game. The defense on the sidelines were fired up, yelling to simulate crowd noise.
The shotgun snap came to Chris Simms, who backpedaled, looked around and fired a pass to a leaping Daniel Graham for the touchdown. The offensive players on the sidelines erupted, but the defense did as well, as Dumervil chased after Head Coach Josh McDaniels to plead his case that he had been there for the sack. In the end, the touchdown stood.

During 7-on-7s, D.J. Williams jumped in front of a pass and sprinted his way to the end zone, setting the ball down on the goal line. Again it was Woodyard with the loudest celebration, throwing pretend blocks at anyone who tried to get near Williams.
Alphonso Smith had a solid break-up in 7-on-7s as well, reaching out and knocking down a pass just as it was about to reach Eddie Royal.
Matt Prater went 8-for-8 in the field goal drill.
TWO MINUTE DOMINATION

We don’t know how the offense or defense has looked in drills up until today’s open practice, but one thing is for sure — in the two-minute drill, the first team defense looked pretty dangerous.

Kyle Orton completed his first pass to Royal on first down, but it was followed by an incomplete pass on second down. On third down, it looked like Orton had a nice completion to Royal on the sideline, but Goodman was right there to swat the ball out of his hands. On fourth down, the defense knocked down a pass at the line of scrimmage as plenty of celebrating ensued.

It looked like the second-team defense would put on a similar show, as the second-team offense’s drive started with a Marcus Thomas sack. Darcel McBath broke up a pass aimed at Jeb Putzier on second down, and another incomplete pass followed on third. On fourth down it looked like the defense got the stop, but a pass interference call kept the drive alive. Eventually Simms would find Chad Jackson in the corner of the end zone to give the offense a score in the drill.

Here are some more pictures from today’s action.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

wow that is a really dramatic headline for this article.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

fluffy
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i don't care what the title of this thread says, our offense and defense will both be better than last seasons.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

the defense doesn't have to play Marshall yet...plus, learning McD's new offense may be tougher than learning a Nolan's new defense...so i expect the defense to be a little ahead of the offense early on...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Finally something besides a useless poll. I can not wait for on-season Orangemane
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

good video of McD up and some nice pics
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
jayman_37
Seasoned Veteran

Defense is always ahead of the offense early on.
jayman_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

During 7-on-7s, D.J. Williams jumped in front of a pass and sprinted his way to the end zone, setting the ball down on the goal line. Again it was Woodyard with the loudest celebration, throwing pretend blocks at anyone who tried to get near Williams.
I love that kid.

Sounds like he's replaced Nate Webster as the bombastic linebacker, and can actually play football, bonus!

Last edited by PRBronco; 05-28-2009 at 03:06 PM..
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
good video of McD up and some nice pics
Omg did Jarvis LOSE weight? Jesus christ man eat something!
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Here's the link. Let's remember the "new" rules for posting things...

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Touch football. Team-building stuff. The staff trying to build camaraderie with the units, looking for the leaders/followers, laying a foundation for the real grind.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #13
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Yeah we look like we should have the number 1 defense this season --for whooping it up, making pretend blocks and cheerleading. Man am I jazzed.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Remember that typically the defensive unit comes together faster than the offensive unit.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Well Mcbean Fields, Peterson, Davis, Ried would at least be a lot bigger then what Broncos have been trying.

I could add up the lbs difference and make post much cooler, but then I got high.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #16
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

For one thing, how can you not like what McD said in the video after practice? I love this guys detail oriented approach. Having ground level cameras to make fine tune adjustments to the QB's foot work ...making sure the defense is thinking always turnovers and the offense is getting drilled to prevent them at every turn.

Got to get that stuff ingrained now,. I also like the you tend to get real information from McD rather than the kind of platitudes and generalities Shanny was prone too the last years.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #17
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Remember that typically the defensive unit comes together faster than the offensive unit.
Unless it's a Bronco defense. They tend to not come together much at all.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
For one thing, how can you not like what McD said in the video after practice? I love this guys detail oriented approach. Having ground level cameras to make fine tune adjustments to the QB's foot work ...making sure the defense is thinking always turnovers and the offense is getting drilled to prevent them at every turn.

Got to get that stuff ingrained now,. I also like the you tend to get real information from McD rather than the kind of platitudes and generalities Shanny was prone too the last years.
It's all hype at this point, but I also like how it sounds like players are having fun, but at same time being coached really hard. It's hard when teaching or coaching to be a taskmasker, and keep things fun at the same time. In fact that is the key for having success in those fields of work.

I'm starting to get this funny feeling Broncos are going to be better then people think this yr.

Way better RB's, Oline is good, Wr are good, Bigger defense on the front 7, way better secondary. If Orton can play about what he has up to this point we could do pretty good. Not like Orton has never completed a pass.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #19
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

I think we were a running back away from a damn good offense. D? I don't know how that long snapper is going to help.

Ornton was a throw in, he's a FA just like Cassell next year.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #20
Dexter
Pro Bowler

Bay Harbor Butcher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
It's all hype at this point, but I also like how it sounds like players are having fun, but at same time being coached really hard. It's hard when teaching or coaching to be a taskmasker, and keep things fun at the same time. In fact that is the key for having success in those fields of work.

I'm starting to get this funny feeling Broncos are going to be better then people think this yr.

Way better RB's, Oline is good, Wr are good, Bigger defense on the front 7, way better secondary. If Orton can play about what he has up to this point we could do pretty good. Not like Orton has never completed a pass.
This is kinda how I feel. If Chad Pennington and Kerry Collins can come in and manage an offense last year why can't Orton do it this year? Orton has way more upside than either of those two as far as I can tell.. and all he needs to do is manage an offense with elite tools around him in every way.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #21
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Ornton was a throw in, he's a FA just like Cassell next year.
I didn't realize that there was a condition in the trade that prevents Denver from re-signing Orton after the season.

But please continue with your rambling, incoherent posts in the future.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #22
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

But, but I thought DJ Williams was a "Jake" and playing OLB but not OLB, because he is "Jake." What's he doing in the middle?

lol
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #23
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i don't care what the title of this thread says, our offense and defense will both be better than last seasons.
2005 all over again.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #24
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Makes perfect sense, he has had a lot of experience with camera work.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #25
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
I love that kid.

Sounds like he's replaced Nate Webster as the bombastic linebacker, and can actually play football, bonus!
I know, WW is going to be huge.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote