The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 06:03 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Cassel could be our QB next season (2010)

Don't shoot the messenger...

A Call To Caution On Cassel
Posted by Mike Florio on May 28, 2009, 8:24 a.m. EDT

Jason Whitlock of the Kansas City Star recently penned an intriguing item regarding the Chiefsí new quarterback, Matt Cassel, and his unsettled contract status.

With no long-term deal in place (despite reports from more than a month ago that a contract is in the can), Whitlock wonders whether Cassel will be only a one-year rental for the Chiefs ó at a price of $14.65 million and a second-round pick. (They also got linebacker Mike Vrabel in the transaction.)

Whitlock, like many league observers, assumed when word of the trade broke that a long-term deal was in the offing. As it now appears, the Chiefs acquired Cassel with zero wink-nod assurances that heíll be on the roster beyond the coming season.

The problem, as Whitlock surmises, could be agent Dave Dunnís demands. Casselís camp likely wants to use that huge base salary for 2009 as the starting point for a multi-year package that pays him commensurately.

But what has Cassel really done to merit an annual average in the range of $15 million?

Whitlock also questions whether Cassel will be as good as advertised in Kansas City, without Randy Moss and Wes Welker as the target of the passes.

As we see it, thereís possibly an inverse relationship between Casselís performance in 2009 and his leverage come 2010. If he tanks, his potential value on the open market will drop. If he plays like he did a season ago, his stock will go up.

And maybe then his current demands will be justified.

Hereís another thing to keep in mind. If Cassel plays well and Dunn makes a moon shot in response, the Chiefs can franchise Cassel again. Though it would cost $17.58 million for the 2010 season, there might not be a salary cap next year. And, moreover, paying Cassel that amount might represent a bargain in comparison to the inflated asking price.

Of course, thereís a wild card in this equation, which could drive up Casselís financial expectations even if he stinks it up this year.

The Broncos.

Former Patriots offensive coordinator/current Denver head coach Josh McDaniels tried to get Cassel via trade, but McDaniels waited too long to commence to process of negotiating with his ex-boss, Bill Belichick. Unless Kyle Orton exceeds all expectations this year, McDaniels likely will still want Cassel in 2010.

So maybe, in the end, the Chiefs will be able to flip Cassel for a first-round pick or more ó regardless of how he plays this year.

Whitlockís overriding point is that this thing can go in a bunch of different directions, and we agree that it shouldnít be presumed that Cassel will be the next Len Dawson in Kansas City, or that Cassel will even be on the team next year at this time.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...ion-on-cassel/

Last edited by TonyR; 05-28-2009 at 06:22 AM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I expect Cassell to do pretty average, at best, next year.

New system, new receivers, new coaches, best offensive weapon gone. Outside of Bowe, they don't have much in the way of guys who can make plays in the passing game.

Unless the running game catches fire, which could indeed happen if Johnson comes to play this year, then it'll be a tough year for Cassell. Especially with the schedule the West faces this year.

It's a delicate balance. His market value won't be as high next year as it is this year, I'd be confident of that, but 16 million this year is an awful lot of money.

Enough to offset the hit his value might take over the next year though? I guess that's what he needs to figure out.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Maybe Cassel doesn't want to finish his career as a Queef, and is willing to wait a year or two for free agency so he can be with his butt buddy McDaniels.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

No new deal yet for Cutler either. Bears plan on him doing well before they commit long term.

Cutler has to gun for a big big yr, or they may make him play another yr.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
TonyR
Franchise Poster

The Chiefs may have really, really effed up. Hilarious.

Iím starting to get cold feet about Cassel

If this is an audition, itís a very expensive one.

When Scott Pioli struck the deal for Tom Brady understudy Matt Cassel, the experts lauded Pioli for acquiring the one-year wonder for such a ďreasonableĒ price, a second-round pick.

Three months later ó with Cassel still unsigned to a long-term deal ó the price tag is losing quite a bit of its discount value. In fact, you could argue that Cassel inked a rather generous prenuptial agreement and Bill Belichick unloaded a potential headache.

It appears the Chiefs have little interest in signing Matt Cassel to a long-term contract before the start of the season. Or, more likely, Pioli lost interest in signing Cassel to a long-term contract once Kansas Cityís first-time general manager learned Cassel and agent David Dunnís asking price.

Given Casselís and Pioliís New England relationship, I just assumed when the Chiefs traded for Cassel, the parameters of a long-term deal were agreed upon before the trade. I assumed wrong. Or, more likely, Cassel and Dunn elevated their contract demands after perusing the Chiefsí roster and salary-cap situation.

The Chiefs have enough salary-cap room to house, feed, clothe and entertain most of Canada. And Kansas Cityís current offensive personnel would make any rational QB demand hazardous-work pay.

Whatever the cause, Pioli and Dunn canít agree on Casselís worth. The rumor around the Loch Lloyd golf course is the Cassels are renting, not buying.

Can you really blame them in this economy and with a fickle housing market?

But whom should we blame for this expensive experiment?

As of right now, Cassel is scheduled to earn nearly $15 million for the 2009 season. Thatís his franchise-tag number.

Had we known in February that Cassel would cost $15 million and a second-round pick for one season of play, would we still regard his acquisition as a wise move?

Of course, if he plays lights-out and proves that his one good, Randy Moss-Wes Welker-fueled season was no fluke, no one will complain about the acquisition price and no one will care what the Chiefs have to pay next season to keep him.

The problem is, I just canít imagine him putting together a magnificent or even solid season in 2009.

Tony Gonzalez is gone. Larry Johnson is still here. Brian Waters is somewhere brooding. The Chiefs drafted a bunch of defensive linemen.

The way Pioli has assembled offensive talent (36-year-old Bobby Engram is the big-ticket free-agent signing) makes me believe heís negotiating with Dunn and Cassel.

No offense to Cassel, but heís a college and NFL bench-warmer who had the luxury of playing quarterback alongside the greatest offensive force (Moss) the league has seen since Jim Brown.

Last season Cassel stepped into a moving vehicle and did a good job of not running off the road. Kansas Cityís offense has been stuck in neutral since Dick Vermeil left. And now the one reliable tire left on KCís car moved to Atlanta.

This smells like 15 TDs and 20 interceptions, doesnít it? Or maybe seven TDs, 12 interceptions and a season-ending injury halfway through the season.

Itís not even June, and I can already hear the Tyler Thigpen chants in the distance. By October, the talk-radio shows will be filled with Grbac-Gannon analogies.

The official Vegas over-under line on when Iíll write my first Jeff George column is Oct. 3. Iím playing the under if you must know.

For the record, my official position is Iíd prefer to see the Chiefs draft and develop a quarterback. The Chiefs keep trying to convert backups ó even Joe Montana was Steve Youngís backup in San Fran ó into Super Bowl quarterbacks.

You ever break up with a girlfriend/boyfriend, date their best friend and then complain about the same problems? Itís stupid. Itís just as stupid to keep dating the exact same quarterback.

Most backup quarterbacks are backups for a good reason. They donít marinate on the bench for eight years waiting to be discovered.

My problem with Cassel is he didnít transfer out of USC when he was stuck behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart. The great ones generally have massive egos that canít be satisfied riding the pine.

Man, I hope Iím wrong about this $15 million audition.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1218162.html
Old 05-28-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Former Patriots offensive coordinator/current Denver head coach Josh McDaniels tried to get Cassel via trade, but McDaniels waited too long to commence to process of negotiating with his ex-boss, Bill Belichick.
I'm so torn here. On the one hand this is a great opportunity for me to bash McDaniels..."See how he screwed this up by waiting to long?"...etc...etc. On the other hand...

It's Jason Whitless.

Tough choice but I just can't side with Whitless on anything.

Here's a thought though; how ironic would it be if McDaniels were kept from getting Cassel next year because he traded that #1 pick away this year?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
I expect Cassell to do pretty average, at best, next year.

New system, new receivers, new coaches, best offensive weapon gone. Outside of Bowe, they don't have much in the way of guys who can make plays in the passing game.

Unless the running game catches fire, which could indeed happen if Johnson comes to play this year, then it'll be a tough year for Cassell. Especially with the schedule the West faces this year.

It's a delicate balance. His market value won't be as high next year as it is this year, I'd be confident of that, but 16 million this year is an awful lot of money.

Enough to offset the hit his value might take over the next year though? I guess that's what he needs to figure out.
Pretty much how I see him doing there...middlin at the very best, much lesser value after a horrific season with nothing to work with and a brutal schedule.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Here's a thought though; how ironic would it be if McDaniels were kept from getting Cassel next year because he traded that #1 pick away this year?
Well, as it stands right now Cassel will be a FA after this season. So no draft pick would be necessary. And since Orton is also a FA after this season it would all coincide perfectly. For all we know it's the master plan!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

VERY interesting ....
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

As I recall, I have posted several times that this was a possibility. A possibility that grows every day that Cassel is unsigned. I've also heard that KC is just looking for a excuse to slap a tampering charge on McDaniels and the Broncos.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Every day there is a new Wilfork headline around here as well. You can add him to the list of unhappy campers right about now.

Not that it would ever happen, but I'm sure McDaniels goes in a corner and pounds one out at the mere possibility of grabbing both of those guys next March.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Every day there is a new Wilfork headline around here as well. You can add him to the list of unhappy campers right about now.
On that note...

Will Wilfork Show Up For OTAs?
Posted by Mike Florio on May 28, 2009, 10:44 a.m. EDT

The question posed today by Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe already has been answered. The world outside of the Patriotsí organization simply doesnít know what that answer is.

The Pats had Organized Team Activities on Tuesday and Wednesday. And the team hasnít said whether defensive tackle Vince Wilfork, who is entering the final year of his contract, participated.

On Thursday at 11:00 a.m. EDT, the Pats will practice again ó this time with the media present for at least a portion of the session. And so the media will soon know whether Wilfork is present.

Reiss points out that Wilfork posted a few updates to his Twitter page on Wednesday, at a time when the team otherwise was practicing. So unless Vince had a cell phone tucked where that guy in the remake of The Longest Yard kept his McDonaldís hamburgers, itís a safe bet that Wilfork wasnít there.

Wilfork separately has expressed frustration and patience this year regarding his contract status. Either way, there have been no talks.

Because Wilfork was drafted in 2004, heíll be eligible for unrestricted free agency after the season, even if thereís no salary cap in 2010. Unlike players such as Shawne Merriman and Braylon Edwards, Wilfork will have six years of service after the 2009 season.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...w-up-for-otas/
Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

I'm about 300% sure that Orton will have a better year than the Cassle. He was just a product of a system and only proves what I've been sayign for years, "It's not Tom Brady is Bellichek. You can plug anyone in the hoody's system they'll take off". It is going to be hilarious to watch Cassle fall on his face, and still rake in 14 mil from the chiefs. What a waste of money.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #14
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
No new deal yet for Cutler either. Bears plan on him doing well before they commit long term.

Heard the other day that Cutler is locked up through 2011, with a salary less than Chris Simms. No need for the Bears to lock him up long term this year.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #15
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

I thought Cassel signed like a 5 year extension a month or so back? I guess I was wrong...
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post

it isn't because the Bears want Jay to prove himself. it is because they have a top flight QB on a rookie contract that is worth peanuts to what he will be receiving in 3 years.

if he isn't b****ing for a new deal and still has 3 years at a relatively cheap price tag be happy and let him play that deal out before you dump mega dollars at his doorstep.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #17
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
Heard the other day that Cutler is locked up through 2011, with a salary less than Chris Simms. No need for the Bears to lock him up long term this year.
Once upon a time, I heard that Cutler had absolutely no leverage to force a trade.

You can bet he'll be getting a new contract before the end of this season.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #18
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
I'm about 300% sure that Orton will have a better year than the Cassle. He was just a product of a system and only proves what I've been sayign for years, "It's not Tom Brady is Bellichek. You can plug anyone in the hoody's system they'll take off". It is going to be hilarious to watch Cassle fall on his face, and still rake in 14 mil from the chiefs. What a waste of money.
Last time I checked football is a team sport and QBs perform best when their surrounded by talent and they're playing in a system that best utilizes their talent. So lets just Cassell looked and will look alot better playing in a Patriot McDaniels type system....than KC system with less talent.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #19
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

IF Cassell is an average/good rook QB that was coached up to 11 wins......THEN can Orton (average/good 4th year QB) be coached up to 11 wins?
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #20
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
As I recall, I have posted several times that this was a possibility. A possibility that grows every day that Cassel is unsigned. I've also heard that KC is just looking for a excuse to slap a tampering charge on McDaniels and the Broncos.
McD will crawling on his knees to Bowlen just to beg him to open the bank to sign Cassel. McD's lack of experience failed to land Cassel and caused Denver to loose their Franchise QB! You can bet McD has learned his lesson and will do everything possible to have sign Cassel. Plus Cassel would be a fool to stay with KC, when he knows that McD wants him bad and its McD's offense systems and schemes that better suit his talents.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #21
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post
IF Cassell is an average/good rook QB that was coached up to 11 wins......THEN can Orton (average/good 4th year QB) be coached up to 11 wins?
orton looked good playing for the chicago bears...if he can look good there imagine how he will look playing for us...hopefully.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #22
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post
Sure why not, but the point is if McD has a chance to go with Cassel or Orton, who do you think McD will choose?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #23
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Cassel will fail in KC...

he's away from McDaniels, BB, and Welker and Moss...

he joins a squad in major transition...

the Chiefs have very little to help Cassel with in terms of targets and protection...

Chiefs defense may not be great either...

Cassell will be asked to carry the team...he in no way is able to do that...

I've been watching some of last year's Patriots games and i see McDaniels did a masterful job of keeping Cassell from doing too much in terms of deep passes and complex progressions...if Cassell didn't notice a 1st option open he'd tuck and run...but McDaniels designed plays to have the 1st read open quite often via a short pass of some sort...

the Chiefs are going to greatly regret paying the money and 2nd rounder for Cassell...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #24
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Here's a question. IF McDaniels picks up Cassell after the season is over, would that finally do it for everyone still in his corner? Wouldn't that HAVE to be it? He paid Simms more money than Cutler is getting, he says he TARGETED Kyle Orton in Chicago as "his" quarterback, and not just a throw in. So wouldn't that mean he was basically lying if he picked up Cassell?

On top of it all, Cassell really isn't that good in the first placse. If Orton were allowed to learn the Patriots system and learn under Brady, McD, and Bellichick for as long as Cassell did and was HANDED A 16-0 TEAM, I'm willing to bet that Orton could rattle off at least 10 wins.

My point is that Cassell is no good.. plain and simple... saying you are looking at a trade that would "improve your team" is one thing, but looking at a trade to get YOUR GUY in your corner just for the sake of getting YOUR guy and wanting to trade major talent in doing so is an idiotic move at best. THIS is the problem some of us have with McDaniels. If that trade he was looking at was for a talented quarterback with many years in front of him that is one thing. What he tried to do and what eventually happened is quite another.

Last edited by SportinOne; 05-28-2009 at 10:47 AM..
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #25
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Color me unimpressed. Cassel is mediocre at best... and I believe we'll see that clearly this year with the Chefs.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote