The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default DJ talks Defense ... and so does Renaldo

Here's a good clip of DJ today talking about his new 'Jack-Back' position and how much he loves it and this new Attacking Swarming' defense we're gonna be playing. Checkout Renaldo Hills clip as well.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609

He said the whole defense, including all the new guys who inherent this FUBAR from last year when they had nothing to do with it are wearing big chips on their shoulders already and fixing to set the record straight.

He also taking about how badly the injuries set things back for the D last year when lost people didn't realize how bad some of them were hurt.Plus some guys missing assignments and screwing things up.

Last edited by Hulamau; 05-27-2009 at 03:03 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

good video
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Expect No Less
by Gray Caldwell

Renaldo Hill spoke with the media after practice today, and he talked a little about how the team is coming together already this offseason.

It’s a tough undertaking to step into a locker room filled with a lot of new names, but everyone is bonding and getting to know one another quickly.

“That’s big about the offseason, because we’re pretty much around each other all day every day,” he said. “It gives us a chance to get to know one another. You might not get the names in the first couple weeks, but eventually you get around to knowing everyone and knowing everyone’s personality. That’s the good part about it — knowing who you’re going to be around helps you that much more on the football field.”

And Hill knows who he’s going to be around in the defensive secondary — former teammate and playmaker Andre’ Goodman, future Hall-of-Famers Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins and three 2009 NFL Draft picks, among others. The hope is that going into this year that unit can create more plays to help the team win games.

Hill said there are several things to focus on this offseason to make sure the secondary is successful come the season.

“Not making mistakes, being sound, being accountable to one another, minimizing gains and not giving up deep balls — that’s a huge thing that we’re focusing on this year,” he said.

Last season with the Dolphins, Hill said from what he saw in the film room, the 2008 Denver secondary didn’t play up to its full potential.

“Secondary-wise, I was just hearing that it wasn’t a good year,” he recalled. “A lot of injuries. A lot of deep balls going over their heads. That’s just the perecption I heard, I don’t know as far as what the guys were saying on the team. But coming in, that was the scouting report we had.”

But now that he’s part of the team, he sees what the unit is capable of. In fact, he said he believes the mix of veteran leadership and youth will combine to create great success. More specifically, he said the Broncos secondary should be No. 1 unit in the league in 2009.

“It’s our expectation,” he said. “We’ve all played a lot of football in this league. There’s a lot of talent back there, so we’re not expecting anything less. Our goal is to be the top secondary in the league.”

If we’re not considering ourselves to be the top, we’re selling ourselves short.”

-Gray Caldwell, DenverBroncos.com

Renaldo's video clip: http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php

Last edited by Hulamau; 05-27-2009 at 03:09 PM..
Old 05-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Here's a good clip of DJ today talking about his new 'Jack-Back' position and how much he loves it and this new Attacking Swarming' defense we're gonna be playing. Checkout Renaldo Hills clip as well.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609

He said the whole defense, including all the new guys who inherent this FUBAR from last year when they had nothing to do with it are wearing big chips on their shoulders already and fixing to set the record straight.

He also taking about how badly the injuries set things back for the D last year when lost people didn't realize how bad some of them were hurt.Plus some guys missing assignments and screwing things up.
I love how each year just beforethey get their testacles handed to them for 15 games our defense talks about how this year will be different.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
I love how each year just beforet hey get their testacles handed to them for 15 games our defense talks about how this year will be different.
Just like the '97 and '98 defenses huh? Don't get stuck in the rear-view mirror... this isn't the last few years.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Just like the '97 and '98 defenses huh? Don't get stuck in the rear-view mirror... this isn't the last few years.
, and the last few years weren't gonna be the last few years either. 97 and 98?? What do you see here that makes you think they will be that good. Until it happens on the field it's just talk. Mind you I hope they are good. Finally. But not good like the last few years.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

That's true of every team until it happens its all speculation. But Denver hasn't always had crappy defenses, by any means, and really only the last couple years have they been choke artists.

If you haven't noticed, we have a lot of new people here and got rid of a lot of dead wood ... as well as all different coaches and schemes. If you think this is a carbon copy of last year your dead wrong as well.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

If we get into the top 25 of Defenses this year Ill be happy
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Just your typical May fluff article/interview.

I will temper my enthusiasm until I see some results on the field on the defensive side of the ball.

And Hulamau, you don't need to jump right in and try to defend the article or the defense.

I am not being negative....I just am jaded from years of fluff pieces and big talk in the offseason.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

If we can get off the field with a 3 and out twice a game I'd be thrilled.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

So DJ is at OLB...

Late January the start of a DJ at OLB and everyone attacking that idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Well out of 4 linebacker spots, we have what that could manage?

You're a fan of DJ Williams, so where do you think he fits? Because even his supporters have to believe he's definitely NOT suited to be inside in a 3-4 where you need to be part defensive tackle suited to taking on blockers and playing in traffic or AT LEAST have that mentality. DJ's a dancer when he's not blitzing. I figure he MIGHT be able to play OLB because he's a pretty good blitzer, good size, and would be useful in coverage.

So MAYBE we have one spot filled. Then we need to hope that Doom or Moss can be effective? Doom maybe, but Moss? How can you be effective standing up when you can't in a down stance?

So we need to just be hopeful that we can nail:
Two solid noses
Thomas and Robertson transition effectively
DJ, Larsen, Woodyard can find a spot
At LEAST ONE more ILB that can thump

...and that's before addressing the safety position and getting some decent corner depth for our injury prone aging starters.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...t=76408&page=6
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

With info, new starting line up projection

DE: Peterson
NT: Thomas/Fields
DE: Ayers
OLB: DJ
ILB: WWIII
ILB: Davis
OLB: Moss/Dumervil

Bolded another brilliant call from same thread.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So DJ is at OLB...

Late January the start of a DJ at OLB and everyone attacking that idea:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...t=76408&page=6
No, he will be playing the ILB like Takeo Spikes did for San Fran. At 2:37 into the video he said he will be playing "inside linebacker, away from the tight end."

I'm sure he will lineup all over the place, but he will not be the full time starting pass rushing OLB on this team. He can't play with his hand on the ground.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The last thing I want to hear from the players this time of year is how badly they feel they are going to **** up this year.

Rah Rah pieces are par for the course every May.. and when the right blend comes together they come true.

Its starts with talent, and a good scheme but having their heads screwed on straight and a solid attitude is a big part of it too.

We know there is plenty of talent on this team and we'll find out soon enough if they can blend it all together and if the coaches can put these guys in position to succeed soon enough.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #15
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
With info, new starting line up projection

DE: Peterson
NT: Thomas/Fields
DE: Ayers
OLB: DJ
ILB: WWIII
ILB: Davis
OLB: Moss/Dumervil

Bolded another brilliant call from same thread.
I would try to power run on that D.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #16
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I'll give Nolan & Co. a little leeway knowing they weren't here for the last few debacles served up by the Shanny regime...but I still recall how people fawned over Jim Bates and told me I was stupid for not drinking the Koolaid and a few months later he was history. We do get these bold predictions every year so if this bunch is gonne make things different they have a long ways to go to prove themselves. I'm hoping for some nice stuff from Barrett and WWIII in this D...maybe Elvis too, but it won't surprise me if they're every bit as bad as last year because unless these UDFA kids simply astound everyone this D-line is going to struggle as much, if not more than they did last year. We'll see how the 3-4 comes together...conventional wisdom says it takes at least two years to implement that scheme.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #17
Seamus
Rust Contributor

Always something changing

Realistically I would proclaim to be a great secondary if I knew the front line was going to carry their weight. So I agree with the May hype, hope everyone forgets next month what was said.

Denver hasn't had a pass rush for years, the last time I actually saw a little pass rush was when Trevor Price played against Kansas City. And good MLB just don't grow on trees or available around draft/FA.
Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

It's good to hear that DJ is excited about the role he's been given on defense. "Jack" linebacker. Is that like a rover-type position, except played from the linebacking position?

Last edited by Kaylore; 05-27-2009 at 04:03 PM..
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #19
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

And if DJ is playing OLB FULL TIME on this team, Mike Nolan needs to be fired today.

Noway can DJ take on OTs in the run game.

And noway can Wesley Woodyard take on OL in the run game every play. That's ridiculous to think that Woodyard, a guy with a safety's build, can last 8 games, much less a season, banging into 330 pound offensive lineman all game long. Stupid. Not gonna happen.

Now if it does happen, go lawd, we are going to give up 200 yards a game on the ground.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #20
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
It's good to hear that DJ is excited about the role he's been given on defense. "Jack" linebacker. Is that like a rover-type position, except played from the linebacking position?
Jack is the outside linebacker on the weakside in a Nick Saban defense.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #21
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

I'm glad that DJ took a stand and said NO SAM!
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #22
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward63 View Post
I'm glad that DJ took a stand and said NO SAM!
He couldn't play the Sam in a 3-4. That's more of a defensive end than a LB.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #23
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
If we can get off the field with a 3 and out twice a game I'd be thrilled.
Hell if we can stop a fat man from rolling uphill I'll be thrilled
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #24
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Really, can anyone imagine DJ Williams bull-rushing a DE or utilizing a spin move to get to the QB? Has anyone EVER seen DJ do this? DJ utilizing his hands in combat with an OT to get the QB? Get the **** out of here. It takes DEs YEARS of training to understand technique, balance, hand positioning, and various moves to get the QB.

The only thing DJ can do is speed rush.

There is not a chance in hell DJ is playing OLB next year.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #25
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
Really, can anyone imagine DJ Williams bull-rushing a DE or utilizing a spin move to get to the QB? Has anyone EVER seen DJ do this? DJ utilizing his hands in combat with an OT to get the QB? Get the **** out of here. It takes DEs YEARS of training to understand technique, balance, hand positioning, and various moves to get the QB.

The only thing DJ can do is speed rush.

There is not a chance in hell DJ is playing OLB next year.
Someone is extremely confused about Sam vs Jack.