The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



View Poll Results: which if any are real sports
soccer 33 64.71%
golf 18 35.29%
bowling 7 13.73%
synchronized swimming 8 15.69%
We want our NBA thread back 19 37.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default Which is a real sport

poll coming
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer
 
Mr.Meanie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,607

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

lol
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,970

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Lol
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer
 
Irish Stout's Avatar
 
Run for it Marty!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,955

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

Since I could only vote for one, I went with soccer, which I dispise. I think golf is actually a sport, because it takes skill, athleticism and endurance to be good at it. However, it takes less endurance and does not have the defensive qualities to it that other sports (like soccer) have.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Everyone hates on soccer but if you really watch it and know what is going on it rocks. It's no American football but it is great.

In fact there is a great game on right now on ESPN.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Since I could only vote for one, I went with soccer, which I dispise. I think golf is actually a sport, because it takes skill, athleticism and endurance to be good at it. However, it takes less endurance and does not have the defensive qualities to it that other sports (like soccer) have.
I think people despise it because they are ignorant on how it is played. A good soccer goal is amazing to watch.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I also don't know why soccer is even on here. It probably takes more athleticism to play soccer than football. No timeouts and you are constantly running and sprinting.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman444 View Post
I think people despise it because they are ignorant on how it is played. A good soccer goal is amazing to watch.
Maybe but if you blink you missed the only score of the freaking game. Soccer should be reserved for women and small children.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,335
Default

Is muff diving a sport?
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortoh View Post
Maybe but if you blink you missed the only score of the freaking game. Soccer should be reserved for women and small children.
Yeah it can get boring at times but a lot of games end in 3-2 type scores.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

I'd like to see soccer players pull this **** off

Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

As gay as synchronized swimming is I bet t is hard as sh*t.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
Maximus
The Razor!
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Public Enemy #1

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Western, NY
Posts: 5,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman444 View Post
No timeouts and you are constantly running and sprinting.
I guess that qualifies "Kick The Rock" as a sport too! Kick Ball & Dodge Ball bring more excitement!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh
 
Flex Gunmetal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 3,078

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona
Default

Golf isn't a sport. It's a mildly athletically engaging activity.
Is tag a sport?
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #15
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I guess that qualifies "Kick The Rock" as a sport too! Kick Ball & Dodge Ball bring more excitement!
I'd be willing to bet 75% of the players in the NFL couldn't go out and run for 45 minutes straight with sprints mixed in the way soccer players have too.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #16
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

A sport is any athletic/physical competition that two or more individuals can engage in, compete, and ultimately determine a winner absent of a secondary judicial process.

In short, if someone has to tell you who did better, it isn't a sport.

Synchronized swimming, figure skating, ice dancing, and the like are NOT SPORTS. They're athletic events for sure, but there is no competition without a judge telling you who they think should've been the winner.

Boxing has judging, but is still a sport, because technically it can be played until you have a conclusive winner, it'd just significantly shorten careers (and lives).

NASCAR/Auto racing is a sport because it is a test of endurance and talent much like other sports. It doesn't seem like the most athletic, but it demands a level of given talent and physical exertion well within the bounds of sport, and a winner is quite easily found at the end of every event.

Bowling, darts, lawn darts, water polo, polo, croquette, etc.? All sports. They might be crappy sports, but they are athletic events with a set of rules that lead to a decisive winner.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
Maximus
The Razor!
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Public Enemy #1

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Western, NY
Posts: 5,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman444 View Post
I'd be willing to bet 75% of the players in the NFL couldn't go out and run for 45 minutes straight with sprints mixed in the way soccer players have too.
The misconception is that each soccer player is running constantly... not true... they have down time too Basketball and football players are put under more physical strain than Soccer players. If you say Australian Rules Football or Rugby I might agree. Soccer players are like Randy Moss during a running play!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #18
Meck77
.
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,733
Default

Where is the competitive thread starting option? Dortoh did you lose your job or something dude?
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer
 
Gcver2ver3's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 6,581

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Since I could only vote for one, I went with soccer, which I dispise.
actually you can vote for more than 1...

i voted for all of them...

i love the spirit of competition...

if you take it serious enough...call it a sport...more power to you...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #20
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman444 View Post
Everyone hates on soccer but if you really watch it and know what is going on it rocks. It's no American football but it is great.

In fact there is a great game on right now on ESPN.
Soccer is the international sport of choice. It's only disliked in the U.S., but everywhere else soccer may as well be the NFL. My brother and dad watch alot of soccer.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #21
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
The misconception is that each soccer player is running constantly... not true... they have down time too Basketball and football players are put under more physical strain than Soccer players. If you say Australian Rules Football or Rugby I might agree. Soccer players are like Randy Moss during a running play!
That's cold.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #22
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,919

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,479

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

If there is air in the ball, it's a sport!

A ball without air is a pastime!

Soccer is not only a sport, it dwarfs all others in fan base and tv viewing worldwide.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,975

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Is masturbation a sport?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #25
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,479

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Is masturbation a sport?
It's a pastime. No air in the ball(s).
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:56 AM.


Denver Broncos