The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default More info on our draft picks

I just found a website that has a lot of info on all our draft picks. I will post a small portion of what they had to say about each guy, there is a lot more analysis on the links I will post.

Knowshon Moreno
Overall grade: 8.4
Position rank: 2
Blocking: 1
Durability: 1
Hands/routes: 1
Inside running: 2
Outside running: 5
NFL comparison: Shaun Alexander
Bottom line: Moreno is one of the most physical running back prospects our scouts have evaluated in recent years, and he has the talent to be a solid NFL starter. Despite his lack of elite speed and burst, he is faster than expected and outruns defenders who have angles on him. What's truly impressive is his ability to move well in tight quarters, a trait that separates the good NFL backs from the elite ones. That skill will make Moreno a first-round pick. More...

Robert Ayers
Overall grade: 7.3
Position rank: 3
Initial quickness: 12
Pass rush: 2
Pursuit/tackling: 2
Run/pass recognition: 1
Versus the run: 1
NFL comparison: Adalius Thomas
Bottom line: Ayers showed his worth this year when he won several battles against Alabama's Andre Smith, one of the draft's top offensive tackle prospects. He has all the characteristics to be productive against the run and pass. While Ayers isn't likely to be drafted as high as he's rated here (even after his strong week at the Senior Bowl), in time he'll prove to be an impressive NFL starter at either defensive end or outside linebacker. More...

Alphonso Smith
Overall grade: 8.2
Position rank: 1
Ball skills: 1
Closing speed: 5
Coverage/skills: 1
Run support: 12
Run/pass recognition: 1
NFL comparison: Antoine Winfield
Bottom line: At first glance, Smith doesn't seem tall enough to be an NFL cornerback. But with more film evaluation, it becomes clear he has enough positive traits to overcome his height and be an elite NFL cornerback. He has the top athleticism, competitiveness and ball skills few cornerbacks have, and he is a big-play threat as a return man. Expect him to contribute early in his career and develop into a good starter. They are really high on Alphonso...

Darcel McBath

Overall grade: 7.5
Position rank: 2
Ball skills: 5
Closing speed: 4
Coverage/skills: 7
Run support: 6
Run/pass recognition: 3
NFL comparison: Adrian Wilson
Bottom line: McBath arguably is the best all-around athlete among the safety prospects, the total package NFL coaches covet. One concern is a thin-looking lower body, especially because of how physical the game has become in the last decade. McBath won't likely be drafted as highly as we have him rated, but a combination of solid athleticism, toughness and coverage skills projects him to be a productive NFL starter in any NFL defensive scheme. More...

Richard Quinn
Overall grade: 5.0
Position rank: 12
Blocking: 4
Hands: 9
Patterns: 15
Release: 15
Run after catch: 10
Bottom line: No doubt, Quinn looks the part of an NFL tight end, with the size and strength to be a strong in-line run blocker. Although he is not the explosive receiver teams are always on the lookout for at that position, he has the tools to be a solid possession receiver. Quinn probably won't be drafted as high as we have him rated -- if at all -- but he is talented enough to eventually start for a team that values blocking over receiving at the position.More...

David Bruton
Overall grade: 4.4
Position rank: 11
Ball skills: 16
Closing speed: 13
Coverage/skills: 13
Run support: 8
Run/pass recognition: 11
Bottom line: Bruton was a two-year starter in college and was named a team captain this season. His combination of size and straight line speed will intrigue many NFL teams, but the reality is he lacks the agility, flexibility, explosiveness and top speed to start at the next level. However, he should be able to stick as a backup safety and special teams player. More...

Seth Olsen
Overall grade: 4.4
Position rank: 19
Initial quickness: 18
Mobility: 15
Pass blocking: 18
Run blocking: 11
Strength: 15
Bottom line: Olsen is not always pretty, but he is effective. Along with his intelligence and sound technique, Olsen's experience playing at a school that has produced some good NFL offensive linemen will help him earn a job as a backup guard. More...

And the rest....
Kenny McKinley
Tom Brandstater
Blake Schlueter
Nathan Swift WR
Domonique Johnson CB
David Grimes WR
Marquez Branson TE
Rulon Davis DE
Tony Carter CB
Lee Robinson ILB
Chris Baker DT
Braxton Kelley ILB
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Good work on these. Thanks for the info.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Thanks for the post...lots of work. I hope I get some time to check out all those links!
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

most indications still show our Quinn move as a major reach....

when were these scouting reports published?...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post

except that he was gonna go in the first few picks of the next round. think of how important a great blocking OT is and how rare they are. he was a great blocking TE, they are not a dime a dozen. average blocking TE's, yes. GREAT, no.

can go back to the old days of 2nd and goal on the 8 and run it in.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
uplink
Ring of Famer

thanks, will enjoy reading
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:

The scouting reports were posted before the draft. On the link it says Pre Draft analysis, and post draft analysis on how they think they fit with the team.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Rulon Davis excerpt -

Weaknesses: Was not productive in college; missed a lot of games. Is a raw pass rusher with modest closing speed and limited range. Does not explode off the line of scrimmage.

I think I'll give him a pass on the games considering he was in Iraq and got run over by a semi.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I don't think there should be much doubt that Quinn in the second was a reach. But that doesn't really matter, what matters is if the reach cost us anything.

If we had never made the trade and Quinn slid to #79, we took Bruton at #85, and we took Olsen with our 4th no one complains (other than us passing up on DL again).

The FO saw a chance to assure themselves of a guy they had targeted while still feeling comfortable that they'd still get good value out of their picks. They didn't give a pick away, they just moved it about a round back and took a guy who has an excellent profile for our style of offense with it in the 4th. It didn't interfere with getting the STs gunner they wanted (Bruton). So where's the net downside?

Rich Ohrnberger (the next OL taken from our #84 spot on) versus Seth Olsen and in exchange we got Quinn versus Jared Cook Chase Coffman, or Travis Beckum, all TEs of questionable blocking skills.

It was a worthwhile reach, as the alternatives for a blocking TE where significantly less desirable while the net cost was a negligible shift in value for the interior OL we where after.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Good info. Most of the picks and FAs seem to bring something good to the table. I was impressed with the Baker write up, and I am amazed he wasn't a pick in the 6th or 7th. But the Broncos got him, and I will say that I think he will surprise some people at NT.

I also think the Marine will not give up, and he would be at least on the PS for this year, but a real comer in the near future.....

At least the SN likes Smith. We will definitely see about him.

Interesting that the Broncos are in minicamp, and there is little news at all. They have shut the "Insiders" out......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
except that he was gonna go in the first few picks of the next round. think of how important a great blocking OT is and how rare they are. he was a great blocking TE, they are not a dime a dozen. average blocking TE's, yes. GREAT, no.

can go back to the old days of 2nd and goal on the 8 and run it in.
I love how everyone claims this. Hell they say the samething about MoC so I guess we made the right move picking him there when we did. Odds are Quinn was on other teams radar but I don't buy into he would have been picked in a few picks talk. There is zero reason for teams to come out and help other teams justify where some other teams pick of a player for fans.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I don't think there should be much doubt that Quinn in the second was a reach. But that doesn't really matter, what matters is if the reach cost us anything.

If we had never made the trade and Quinn slid to #79, we took Bruton at #85, and we took Olsen with our 4th no one complains (other than us passing up on DL again).

The FO saw a chance to assure themselves of a guy they had targeted while still feeling comfortable that they'd still get good value out of their picks. They didn't give a pick away, they just moved it about a round back and took a guy who has an excellent profile for our style of offense with it in the 4th. It didn't interfere with getting the STs gunner they wanted (Bruton). So where's the net downside?

Rich Ohrnberger (the next OL taken from our #84 spot on) versus Seth Olsen and in exchange we got Quinn versus Jared Cook Chase Coffman, or Travis Beckum, all TEs of questionable blocking skills.

It was a worthwhile reach, as the alternatives for a blocking TE where significantly less desirable while the net cost was a negligible shift in value for the interior OL we where after.
Boom, great post! Too bad people can't wrap their heads around this!
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote