The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default California Supreme Court affirms Prop 8

Too bad for gays ...
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

yeah, pretty absurd. Still a lot of prejudice and hate in this country, though it is getting better i suppose. Hopefully more dominos will fall soon
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave
Sure.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Odd for this to happen in California, yet a state like Iowa allows it.

How some people can be happy about preventing other people from having basic rights is beyond me.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Honestly, this is more of a problem with Prop 8 in general and how the Federal Gov. observes benefits to partners.

What ever happened to separation of church and state?

I can see both sides of the marriage argument, but I think this is more about rights than anything else. A gay couple should be able to enjoy the exact same benefits that a straight couple should. Marriage should not be the binding agreement that the Government observes for benefits granted to couples.

Civil unions should be the binding between 2 individuals that the Government recognizes for all benefits and marriage should be a sub-category that falls underneath. This would pretty much solve these problems without causing the closed minded overly-religious to lose their minds..
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Too bad for gays ...
No.

Look, marriage is the religious part of a civil union. Civil unions are required for two people to share their lives together and receive the tax breaks. Marriage is the religious union of a man and a woman by ALL religions.

Gays may have civil unions. They are not being discriminated against by the governmental law. Governement however, has no right to force religion to change thousands of years of their doctrine. Whether you agree with it or not. This is the backside of separation of church and state. No government should be able to dictate what religions do with their rituals. Marriage is a religious ritual that harms no one so falls under the freedom of religion act.

If the CHURCH decides that they want to allow marriage, then gays can, and will get married. Until that day, they can have a civil union and receive all the legal benefits that a hetero sexual couple receives, they just do not get the blessing of God.

How can the government LEGALLY force churches to marry gays?
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
No.

Look, marriage is the religious part of a civil union. Civil unions are required for two people to share their lives together and receive the tax breaks. Marriage is the religious union of a man and a woman by ALL religions.

Gays may have civil unions. They are not being discriminated against by the governmental law. Governement however, has no right to force religion to change thousands of years of their doctrine. Whether you agree with it or not. This is the backside of separation of church and state. No government should be able to dictate what religions do with their rituals. Marriage is a religious ritual that harms no one so falls under the freedom of religion act.

If the CHURCH decides that they want to allow marriage, then gays can, and will get married. Until that day, they can have a civil union and receive all the legal benefits that a hetero sexual couple receives, they just do not get the blessing of God.

Umm, civil unions do not hold the same rights as marriage when it comes to benefits, sorry man. This was actually the driving force for Prop 8.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
Sure.
You can always head back to where you came from Scotsmen.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
How some people can be happy about preventing other people from having basic rights is beyond me.
What basic right would that be?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post

Civil unions should be the binding between 2 individuals that the Government recognizes for all benefits and marriage should be a sub-category that falls underneath. This would pretty much solve these problems without causing the closed minded overly-religious to lose their minds..
I agree. Or we could do even another thing. Remove any and all references, benefits, and any other involvement by the Federal Governemnt to marriage or unions. They shouldn't be in this "business" at all except to enforce the contract or disolve the contract.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

How many churches do we see burned in the aftermath of this tantrum? Hell hath no fury...
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
No.

Marriage is NOT A RELIGIOUS UNION. It's a legal union, !
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
What basic right would that be?
Pursuit of happiness I guess.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Too bad for gays ...
Well, the people did vote for it... the people of an extremely diverse state. A state where there are millions of minorities (Blacks overwhelmingly voted against gay marriage).

But that's ok right? So what if millions of people from all different backgrounds voted against gay marriage. They must all be wrong, right?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Odd for this to happen in California, yet a state like Iowa allows it.

I say let the state's decide! If some states want to recognize gay marriage, then so be it. If some state's don't want to recognize gay marriage, then so be it.

But let the states decide!!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #17
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Let everyone get married.... why shouldn't they be just as happy as the rest of us that have/had been married

The state can use the money from marriage and the divorce that follows in over 50% of the marriages that happen.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #18
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Why does the whole world need to change for the Minority? Marriage has meant the same thing for thousands of years and needs to be updated for what reason? Because a vocal few want it so? And what are these fabulous tax rates Married People are raking in?
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #19
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Why does the whole world need to change for the Minority? Marriage has meant the same thing for thousands of years and needs to be updated for what reason? Because a vocal few want it so? And what are these fabulous tax rates Married People are raking in?
why did we change from having more then 1 wife ? why did we change from arranged Marriages ?
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #20
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I cant believe that anyone would be so bigoted to stand in the way of gay marriage. The idea that this threatens the sanctity of anything is complete and utter bull****. We should always promote a society of togetherness, not exclusion and alienation. Humans are pretty disgusting sometimes.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #21
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Name:  AwJeez,NotThis****Again!.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  28.0 KB

dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #22
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
You can always head back to where you came from Scotsmen.
Americans are so clever.

Scotsmen? Am I more than one person?

Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #23
Cosmo
Perennial Pro-bowler

Most people, as well as most of you it seems, misunderstand the desire to disallow gay marriage.

If I have a bachelors degree which took me X amount of work, money and time and you arbitrarily change the requirements to such an amount that my bachelors degree no longer has the same value or meaning I would protest against those wanting to create the change.

The same applies to marriage, it isn't about not letting gays obtain rights or benefits. By changing the definition of marriage rather than creating a different type of union for gays, you are making my marriage different....as I want my bachelors degree to retain its original value, so do I want my marriage to be (whether that be spiritual or not).

So, again, not about hate or prejudice. It is simply about protecting what you have.

On a side note, Polygomy has the longest history with marriage yet is illegal and shunned in this country. How long before you see this legalized and what argument could you have against it if the terms of marriage are changed now?
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #24
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
why did we change from having more then 1 wife ? why did we change from arranged Marriages ?
Less men were Dying. If some y based Disease Killed 80% of men you would see multiple wives with in 5 years. It would be a Bio Priority.

Arranged Marriages have gone the way side because the youth are free to decide for themselves.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #25
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Most people, as well as most of you it seems, misunderstand the desire to disallow gay marriage.

If I have a bachelors degree which took me X amount of work, money and time and you arbitrarily change the requirements to such an amount that my bachelors degree no longer has the same value or meaning I would protest against those wanting to create the change.

The same applies to marriage, it isn't about not letting gays obtain rights or benefits. By changing the definition of marriage rather than creating a different type of union for gays, you are making my marriage different....as I want my bachelors degree to retain its original value, so do I want my marriage to be (whether that be spiritual or not).

So, again, not about hate or prejudice. It is simply about protecting what you have.

On a side note, Polygomy has the longest history with marriage yet is illegal and shunned in this country. How long before you see this legalized and what argument could you have against it if the terms of marriage are changed now?
Bull****
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote