The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Alphonso is Worth It + Mini camp schedule

Its gonna be a lot of fun watching the Fonze develop into a STUD Ballhawk in the NFL .... Great Move McD!

History may show Smith as wise pick
The rookie cornerback out of Wake Forest is bringing brainpower to the Broncos.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/26/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Had it been possible to cram Denver's football fans into a Wake Forest history class a few years back, there might be less critique of the Broncos for surrendering a future first-round draft pick in exchange for selecting Alphonso Smith in the second round.

Smith will get thoroughly tested as a rookie cornerback in the next three weeks as the Broncos open their "passing camp" today at Dove Valley.

The beauty of becoming a professional player is that academic distractions disappear.

Count on Smith to make a quick intellectual adjustment to pro ball. It was his sophomore year at Wake Forest and, unlike the stereotypical football player, Smith was serious about his class, "History of the United States since World War II."

According to classmate Michael Earls, Smith displayed the resourcefulness, ingenuity, confidence and even physical skill that made him the very definition of the term student-athlete.

"He was a very funny and nice guy throughout the semester, but I didn't really appreciate how awesome he was until the day of our exam," Earls said while sharing the story last month.

A week before the final, the class professor assigned 10 essay questions to study. Ten? Only one would be picked for the final by a dart throw. With his Demon Deacons preparing for an Orange Bowl meeting against Louisville and finals in other classes, Smith quickly figured studying nine essay topics for naught was a poor economical use of his time.

Earls studied all 10 essay topics, but on the day of the exam, Smith walked in with a cunning smile and tip for his classmates to place all focus on essay question No. 2. And for assurance, let him be the one to throw the dart.

"Everyone was freakin' out," Smith said. "They were like, 'Oh, my God, I need to pass this class.' I was like, 'Hey, I need to pass this class too.' I said, 'Don't worry about it, we're going to do No. 2.' "

No. 2 was Smith's football number at Wake Forest. He is wearing No. 33 with the Broncos after he was acquired through an eyebrow-raising draft trade last month.

Three years earlier, it was time for the final exam and the professor asked for a volunteer to throw the dart. Smith was unanimously chosen.

"He gave the class a little wink, stepped up and absolutely nailed the spot marked No. 2," Earls said.

Once the eruption rarely heard from a college history class had calmed, Smith announced his strategy to his professor and classmates. Rather than laboriously researching 10 topics, he picked the subject he knew best, studied it thoroughly and then practiced throwing darts all week.

Neither Earls or Smith could specifically remember the topic of essay question No. 2, only that it was comprehensively covered during the semester and they aced it. Smith wound up graduating with a degree in history.

"I was going to be a lawyer," Smith said. "Then I figured out I was pretty good in football."

Last month, the Broncos traded one of their two first-round picks in the 2010 draft to Seattle so they could take the 5-foot-9 Smith with the No. 37 overall selection in the second round.

Is Smith worth a first-round pick? Well, at Wake Forest he demonstrated an uncanny knack for making big plays. And that wasn't just in the classroom.

Mike Klis

Busy time for Broncos

Some key dates on the Broncos' remaining offseason schedule leading up to the regular season, the 50th in franchise history. Workouts are at the team's Dove Valley headquarters:

Passing camp (voluntary): Today-Friday, June 2-5, June 8-10

Minicamp (mandatory): June 12-14

Conditioning (voluntary): June 15-19, June 22-26

Training camp: Starts in late July

Preseason opener: Aug. 14 at San Francisco, 8 p.m.

Regular-season opener: Sept. 13 at Cincinnati, 11 a.m.

Regular-season home opener: Sept. 20 vs. Cleveland, 2:15 p.m.

Last edited by Hulamau; 05-26-2009 at 06:34 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2009, 06:44 AM   #2
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I didn't realize its basically non stop mini-camps between today and June 26! These guys are going to be in good shape by training camp not only physically but in getting that system down and gaining familiarity with each other.

These next 4 weeks are a major part of how this season will go. Real progress now will help surprise a whole lot of people come this fall. Its one of the real perks of having every one write you off based on a lot of new faces a few unknowns and mostly looking in the rear view mirror. The pressure is not so much on this year as no once expects too much. Perfect scenario for coming out and kickin' some ass! May take a while to get going, but I have a feeling some of these teams that see us on the schedule and are things a bye week for them are in for a rude and competitive surprise.

I love it that so many people have a completely fixed snapshot in their minds of Denver's Defense as being EXACTLY like it was the past two years when most of the poor players from those teams are long gone, we have a near 50% turn over in players, and 100% turnover in both the Scheme and all of the D coaches with upgrades at every D coach position that I can tell!

But all these Einsteins have penciled the D in as lucky to be the 28th D in the league .. based on hot air!

Last edited by Hulamau; 05-26-2009 at 06:48 AM..
Old 05-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
I didn't realize its basically non stop mini-camps between today and June 26! These guys are going to be in good shape by training camp not only physically but in getting that system down and gaining familiarity with each other.

These next 4 weeks are a major part of how this season will go. Real progress now will help surprise a whole lot of people come this fall. Its one of the real perks of having every one write you off based on a lot of new faces a few unknowns and mostly looking in the rear view mirror. The pressure is not so much on this year as no once expects too much. Perfect scenario for coming out and kickin' some ass! May take a while to get going, but I have a feeling some of these teams that see us on the schedule and are things a bye week for them are in for a rude and competitive surprise.

I love it that so many people have a completely fixed snapshot in their minds of Denver's Defense as being EXACTLY like it was the past two years when most of the poor players from those teams are long gone, we have a near 50% turn over in players, and 100% turnover in both the Scheme and all of the D coaches with upgrades at every D coach position that I can tell!

But all these Einsteins have penciled the D in as lucky to be the 28th D in the league .. based on hot air!

What i want to see, is the D get better through out the year, and improve till the end of the season.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523 View Post
What i want to see, is the D get better through out the year, and improve till the end of the season.
Precisely, if we are playing solid competitive defense by the last half to quarter of the season instead of looking like Super Bowl Champs for the first 4 weeks of the year and a third-rate high school team the last 4 games I'll be happy as a clam! Whether we win all those last games or not.

Just make them a nail biter and show the makings of dominance going forward. Then we'll be fine for years to come.

I like the quality of guys McD is assembling plus the solid guys he kept from what we had. Not too many lazy whiners and 'me first' guys as far as I can see and that's a big plus for building a solid team from here on out.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Precisely, if we are playing solid competitive defense by the last half to quarter of the season instead of looking like Super Bowl Champs for the first 4 weeks of the year and a third-rate high school team the last 4 games I'll be happy as a clam! Whether we win all those last games or not.

Just make them a nail biter and show the makings of dominance going forward. Then we'll be fine for years to come.

I like the quality of guys McD is assembling plus the solid guys he kept from what we had. Not too many lazy whiners and 'me first' guys as far as I can see and that's a big plus for building a solid team from here on out.
That's all i want...if we are rebuilding i want to see improvement. I agree on the roster build up...i think it's an improvement.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
TonyR
Franchise Poster

That's a good anecdote on Smith. Hard not to like the guy after reading that. I'll be rooting hard for the move to get him to pay off.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Rather than laboriously researching 10 topics, he picked the subject he knew best, studied it thoroughly — and then practiced throwing darts all week.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

About the article...

Foxworth was a really smart guy also, however, I feel like Smith plays smarter, more instinctively, and has a nose for the ball.

I will be surprised if Smith doesn't emerge as the starter across from Bailey sometime later in the season.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
That's a good anecdote on Smith. Hard not to like the guy after reading that. I'll be rooting hard for the move to get him to pay off.
Its called creative problem solving and his dart throw idea showed a quick flexible mind that thinks outside the box. Not a bad asset to have for a corner back.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
About the article...

Foxworth was a really smart guy also, however, I feel like Smith plays smarter, more instinctively, and has a nose for the ball.

I will be surprised if Smith doesn't emerge as the starter across from Bailey sometime later in the season.
Over Andre Goodman? I doubt it - although I do see Smith working his way in as the dime and probably nickel back.
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMT View Post
Over Andre Goodman? I doubt it - although I do see Smith working his way in as the dime and probably nickel back.
I think he'll start the season as our nickel or dime back
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
I thought JMFW was supposed to be the shyt
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Its called creative problem solving and his dart throw idea showed a quick flexible mind that thinks outside the box. Not a bad asset to have for a corner back.
Also, he's really good at throwing darts. And has balls of brass.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

History class?

Of course the prof was going to ask what he had allready covered.

History is just regugitation, unless asked a rhetorical question.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
About the article...

except foxworth is lanky, has never showed the ability to turn his hips fluidly, and didn't have a ton of picks in college. He had 8 his whole career.

So really outside of the same position, they have nothing in common. Different body types, and obviously SMith played way better in college.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I thought JMFW was supposed to be the shyt
Broncos IMO think Smith is special and on way higher level then guys like Jack WIlliams and Foxworthless.

If foxy was so good why did ATL then let him walk? Good corners worth what they would have had to give.

If all Smith does is be crap like Foxworth then yeah he's a bust.

He's got to do better then that.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #17
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
At this point, I would love to see a player who will play the nickel or dime and actually make some plays.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #18
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Meanwhile, Hulamau shows the keen ability of completely buying into an offseason fluff piece.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #19
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

A top 10 pick turned nickleback....gotta love it
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #20
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

Do you think we keep only 4 or 5 corners? I'm saying 5...
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #21
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

It sucks but he will always be compared to what we could have gotten with that pick. If the Broncos blow up and its a pick in the 20's everything will be fine. If that turns out to be a franchise quarterback? It will be Ed REEEED all over again x100.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #22
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

the homerism is strong in this thread.
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #23
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
It sucks but he will always be compared to what we could have gotten with that pick. If the Broncos blow up and its a pick in the 20's everything will be fine. If that turns out to be a franchise quarterback? It will be Ed REEEED all over again x100.
Denver traded the 38th pick for whatever they draft at this year...... I suppose if Denver is drafting at 20 and Smith is good then the 18 spots won't be a horrible price to pay, but if they traded a top 10 pick for a short CB drafted at 38 that will be all on McFailure. He is trying to show how smart he is when it looks like he is just going to wind up with egg on his face.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #24
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Denver traded the 38th pick for whatever they draft at this year...... I suppose if Denver is drafting at 20 and Smith is good then the 18 spots won't be a horrible price to pay, but if they traded a top 10 pick for a short CB drafted at 38 that will be all on McFailure. He is trying to show how smart he is when it looks like he is just going to wind up with egg on his face.
Why dont you actually wait to see what happens before you call him some dumb, uncreative nickname.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #25
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Why dont you actually wait to see what happens before you call him some dumb, uncreative nickname.
Dude, these tools can't stop with the poo-poo face names, now. They've fully invested themselves into hating the new coaching staff and players to such an extent that anything less than failure will make them look silly.

These people running around calling Broncos names, claiming to be fans NEED us to fail.

It's going to be great watching this team improve, and watching these ****ers squirm over the next few years. I'm sure they'll all have perfectly good excuses for making decisions before ever seeing a single snap.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote