The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Default McDaniels on Rocky Mountain high

I did not see this posted yet....

McDaniels on Rocky Mountain high

Posted on: May 22, 2009 11:32 am

Punt, pass and Judge
Clark Judge

For what it's worth, I was talking to one league executive at this week's NFL owners meetings when the subject turned to Denver. What he told me I did not know, which is that Josh McDaniels wields all the power there. I suspected he had plenty, but I was told that when the Broncos cleaned out their scouts it was McDaniels, not GM Brian Xanders, who chose the replacements. All of them. Interesting.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

I think Xanders is a true business manager - a contracts/cap/money guy, and that's the type of person Bowlen wanted as GM. The football and player-personnel side however, I feel he wants run by the football people, so this doesn't surprise me. The art of personnel evaluation should be done by true football people, and the evaluators themselves should be chosen by football people too, otherwise you just get schmoozers and BS-artists in your scouting department.....

I'm also hoping that McDaniels knew some scouting people he wanted beforehand, and that it wasn't just a last-minute knee-jerk thing. I do suspect the former but you never know.....I was genuinely worried when we lost the goodmans...
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I dont care as long as the team wins. He can walk around in a tutu and a crown for all I care if the team makes a playoff run.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Gawd...ya thhink so?

watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:54 AM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
I think Xanders is a true business manager - a contracts/cap/money guy, and that's the type of person Bowlen wanted as GM. The football and player-personnel side however, I feel he wants run by the football people, so this doesn't surprise me. The art of personnel evaluation should be done by true football people, and the evaluators themselves should be chosen by football people too, otherwise you just get schmoozers and BS-artists in your scouting department.....

I'm also hoping that McDaniels knew some scouting people he wanted beforehand, and that it wasn't just a last-minute knee-jerk thing. I do suspect the former but you never know.....I was genuinely worried when we lost the goodmans...

What team did the goodmans come from? I never did know where they made their bones. Is there biggest job the Broncos? Or where they scouts and GMS at another team before Broncos.

Also has anyone hired either of the goodmans?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:56 AM   #6
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

I heard he wanted to ditch "Rocky Mountain High" and replace it with this.....

Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:57 AM   #7
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Does it matter since we now have an index card for our top 100?
Old 05-23-2009, 03:28 AM   #8
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
To be clear, the reason Jay Cutler got traded was because of the incompetence of Josh McDaniels, first at not getting Matt Cassel and then communicating in a way a head coach would.

Now, since he is a rookie head coach, it is difficult to project his success.

But we can compare him to the two young rookie coaches in the NFL who were hired before the 2007 season. They were Mike Tomlin, by the Steelers and Lane Kiffin, by the Raiders.

One won the Super Bowl in his second season and the other got fired halfway through his second season. Let's look at their moves and who Josh McDaniels compares to.

Mike Tomlin, comes in being a defensive coordinator using the cover-two defense, keeps the defense intact and the defensive coaches intact, only adding upon the foundation.

Lane Kiffin, supposedly a young offensive whiz, within his first month, trades Randy Moss for a fourth round pick. He then tries to fire the Rob Ryan, the beloved and very competent defensive coordinator, which the owner vetoes.

It is highly likely Josh McDaniels is going to survive in this job because the owner played a huge role in this trade. It is even more likely McDaniels has given the Broncos a long fate of mediocrity until they get another quarterback.

There are Bears fans who think they gave too much and Broncos fans who think good riddance. In 1983, a young franchise quarterback, John Elway was traded to the Colts for two first round picks and a reserve quarterback.

It sounds sort of familiar.

The Colts would be in a downward spiral, that led to the team moving from Baltimore to Indianapolis and consistent losing until 1998 when they got another franchise quarterback in Peyton Manning.

The Broncos with Elway?

Well...
Old 05-23-2009, 03:56 AM   #9
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
What team did the goodmans come from? I never did know where they made their bones. Is there biggest job the Broncos? Or where they scouts and GMS at another team before Broncos.

Also has anyone hired either of the goodmans?
Does it matter where TD and Rod Smith or Zimm came from? Or even Elway?

The FACT is the 06 and 08 drafts were beyond great, despite losing torain and Powell. /add in Larson and Woodson for good measure.

Mcdummy had THREE FIRST ROUNDERS, A SECOND AND 2 THIRDS.

5 IN THE FIRST 100. 3 IN THE TOP 37.

iT WAS CLAIMED THAT bOWLEN WOLD BECOME "MORE INVOLVED", THEN HE HAS TROUBLE REMEMBERING ONLY A DECADE AGO?

Not only that, he gives McDummy the same powers as Shanahan who has 3 lombardis and another 3 Hunts. FOR A WATERBOY.

BTW, he had Brady, Moss, Welker, Gaffney and boss at TE.

Second, bowlen could of fired Slowick over Shanny's head, but was either too stupid or drunk to do it. Then ?shanny could of walked, or maybe woken up that it was time to repair the front 7.

So, what do we do? draft 6 offensive players, sign 2 QB's and 3 30 something rnning backs, ONLY TO DRAFT A RB IN THE TOP 10 and get a project called Tom B. II in the 6th.

Then we swith defense andhave NOONE to run it. 36 y/o safety we gave 9 MILLON to.

Just wait. The Rev say's 5-11, I'm optimistic our division still sucks and say 6-10.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #10
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Boy, I just can't get enough of these threads. We're beginning to look like San Diego boards, circa three years ago, when the debate raged over Rivers/Brees and Schottenheimer/Norvell.

Can't wait.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #11
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post

The FACT is the 06 and 08 drafts were beyond great, despite losing torain and Powell. /add in Larson and Woodson for good measure.

iT WAS CLAIMED THAT bOWLEN WOLD BECOME "MORE INVOLVED", THEN HE HAS TROUBLE REMEMBERING ONLY A DECADE AGO?

Not only that, he gives McDummy the same powers as Shanahan who has 3 lombardis and another 3 Hunts. FOR A WATERBOY.

Second, bowlen could of fired Slowick over Shanny's head, but was either too stupid or drunk to do it. Then ?shanny could of walked, or maybe woken up that it was time to repair the front 7.

So, what do we do? draft 6 offensive players, sign 2 QB's and 3 30 something rnning backs, ONLY TO DRAFT A RB IN THE TOP 10 and get a project called Tom B. II in the 6th.

Then we swith defense andhave NOONE to run it. 36 y/o safety we gave 9 MILLON to.

Just wait. The Rev say's 5-11, I'm optimistic our division still sucks and say 6-10.

We didn't have three 1st rounders. We didn't draft a RB in the top 10. And, what 6 offensive players are you talking about? The RB, QB, WR, OT, TE, and C... all of which were in positions of need. You can make a case that McD messed up signing all of those free agent RBs. Wait and see which ones don't make the team though. Right now, I see a lot of good depth.

A lot depends on how Kyle Orton and/or Chris Simms play in this offense. Neither one is Jay Cutler, that much is certain. And, I'm guessing that McD knows that if neither of those two work out... there is an amazing crop of QBs in next year's draft. So good that you could see guys like Tebow or Colt McCoy going in the 2nd round. Here is a quick list of guys and potential draft positions:

1. Bradford (1A)
2. Snead (1B)
3. Tebow (1C)
4. Hiller (1C)
5. McCoy (1C)
6. Pike (2A)
7. Clausen (2C)
8. Lefevour (3A)
9. M. Hall (3A)
10. R.Skinner (3)

I don't think they will be selected this high, but they are certainly talented. Teams picking in the late 1st round often do not need a QB. The only team that I could see finishing in the mid to late 20's that would select a QB is the Vikings.

Plus a few other interesting prospects like OSU's Zac Robinson and WVA's Jarrett Brown. BTW, these guys are are all better sized than Mark Sanchez (per their current listings which could very well be BS.)
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #12
Punisher
® Kiss the shoes!

We run the AFC WOOOOOOO!®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I dont care as long as the team wins. He can walk around in a tutu and a crown for all I care if the team makes a playoff run.

I'm with this guy McD can dress like Rey Mysterio and go around play fighting players.

At the end of the day if this guy bring us back to the playoffs everyone will hop back on the Bronco Bandwagon and will make are way back up the "Power Rankings"
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #13
Premier-Ace55
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Calm down let's actually play the games and see what type of talent we have before saying how bad McDaniels is. He is a rookie head coach who is changing the way things are done here. The goodmans were alright but the broncos missed a lot on personell Shanny at the helm a lot, and man we sucked last year don't let the stats on offense fool you. He has had like 10 years post superbowl to get his team back and we went deep in the playoffs one year. I just think he was maybe getting outdated. At least we have an owner who isn't afraid to try something new to win. Would you rather have the raiders owner, or detroits owner, or Cincy's owner, they do not know what they are doing. Let's just try to give this man a chance he's doing what he thinks will win. I have to say I have much more respect for a person that has the courage to make moves that he thinks are right rather than listening to all the fans, analysts, and pundits who don't evaluate his team on a daily basis.

Last edited by Premier-Ace55; 05-23-2009 at 07:59 AM..
Premier-Ace55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #14
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

So did Denver release all it's scouts or just the Goodmans? If it's the former is the case that freaking stupid. Why hasn't anyone reported that story?
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:17 AM   #15
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
For what it's worth, I was talking to one league executive at this week's NFL owners meetings when the subject turned to Denver. What he told me I did not know, which is that Josh McDaniels wields all the power there. I suspected he had plenty, but I was told that when the Broncos cleaned out their scouts it was McDaniels, not GM Brian Xanders, who chose the replacements. All of them. Interesting.
I hate to say I told you so.

Wait, no .....

I LOVE to say I told you so!!!

Nyah Nyah !

Popps: "No BroncoBuff, no! It's a power-SHARING arrangement!'
Cito Pelon: "No BroncoBuff No! You got your facts all wrong!"

But I suppose if you didn't believe it when Pat Bowlen told you so ... and you didn't believe it when Jerry Angelo told you so ... and you didn't believe it when BroncoBuff told you so ... you'll still probably find a reason why this report is wrong too.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #16
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Another 'unnamed source' from an unnamed NFL team says he knows exactly what McDaniels is doing in Denver.
This is obviously indisputable evidence that the Mane's self appointed 'insiders' were right all along. Huh, ok, sure.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #17
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

As far as Xanders goes, it's seems apparent the guy is more of a cap/business type - although he did play football at Florida State and briefly coached in Atlanta so it's not as though he has no football experience. In addition, Mike Blueth is actually the guy charged with managing with Broncos salary cap I believe.

With that, I do believe it's McDaniels making most of the final decisions, with Xanders essentially as his #2. I could be wrong, but that's my guess based on the information provided.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

There are Bears fans who think they gave too much and Broncos fans who think good riddance. In 1983, a young franchise quarterback, John Elway was traded to the Colts for two first round picks and a reserve quarterback.

It sounds sort of familiar.

The Colts would be in a downward spiral, that led to the team moving from Baltimore to Indianapolis and consistent losing until 1998 when they got another franchise quarterback in Peyton Manning.

The Broncos with Elway?

Well...

So now Jay Cutler is John Elway. Too funny.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
...bowlen could of fired Slowick over Shanny's head, but was either too stupid or drunk to do it. Then ?shanny could of walked, or maybe woken up that it was time to repair the front 7.
You make some fair points but I think Slowick was only one of many issues Bowlen had with Shanahan. And he tried and failed to fix the front 7 many times.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post

This.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #21
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Here's a scary thought; maybe a high school coach in Ohio is actually the power behind the throne.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/30/sp...0patriots.html

Quote:
I always lean on my father for any advice that he can give me,” Josh McDaniels said. “He is obviously the person I molded myself after, and that hasn’t changed because my role here has changed at all. What he knows is still very important to me, and I feel like he still has a tremendous amount to give me as far as knowledge and input in any situation. He’s living vicariously through me, because he never had the opportunity to do this at the major college or pro level.”
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

McD now has Shanny's power and Shanny did very well his 1st 5 years as HC. Cutler is not gonna effect the Broncos one way or another, good or bad, the way Elway effected the Colts. Two totally different scenarios with the only common denomenator is the draft picks involved.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #23
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If one looks at the roster of this team after last season and the draft choices spent on defense for the last decade, the scouts for the Broncos did not do a very good job on that side of the ball to say the least.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #24
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
agreed
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post

this is just a new version of Shanahan and Sundquist(with less experience)
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote