The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Cutler created Marshall and Royal?

CHICAGO -- For those compelled by precision, for those looking for the exact moment when the Jay Cutler hype machine clicked into overdrive in Chicago, I propose May 17, 2009, at 1:40 p.m.

Coming off a Pro Bowl season, Jay Cutler has Bears fans dreaming.At that exact moment this past Sunday, Chicago Bears play-by-play man Jeff Joniak grabbed a microphone at the team's annual fan convention and formally introduced the new quarterback to a fan base long in search of its savior.

Some clapped; others yelled. Some pulled out their cell phones; others pulled out their digital cameras. Young and old, male and female, it didn't matter. From grandmas to baby girls, from frat boys to business execs, everyone wanted to see the hero, everyone wanted to hear him speak. With each passing second, more and more fans squeezed closer and closer to the stage. It was as if Cutler were John, Paul, George and Ringo all rolled into one.

And in a way, he is. That's what happens when a franchise that hasn't had a franchise quarterback in half a century mortgages its entire future on the right arm of a 26-year-old Pro Bowl answer.

"Anytime a team wants to make a trade like that and give up what [the Bears] gave up, there's going to be a lot of pressure and a lot of high expectations," Cutler said Wednesday. "And I welcome it. It's going to be fun. It's going to be a good challenge."

It has been 49 days since Chicago shocked the NFL world and dealt two first-round picks, a third-round choice and quarterback Kyle Orton to Denver in exchange for Cutler, and at this point, the honeymoon is in full swing. Although Cutler has spent the past six weeks working with offensive coordinator Ron Turner and his new receivers, this week has been his official coming-out party. On Sunday, he officially spoke to Bears fans for the first time, and Wednesday marked the Bears' first organized team activity of the offseason, allowing Cutler to shine in seven-on-seven drills while the Chicago media took its first look at No. 6.

At the Bears Expo on Sunday, general manager Jerry Angelo referred to the Cutler addition as "divine intervention." Team president Ted Phillips told Bears fans, "The energy level in the office, with the players and staff has never been at a higher level in the 26 years I've been at the club." Even the typically stoic Lovie Smith is drinking the orange and blue Kool-Aid, saying, "Spirit is at an all-time high," while joking, "I think it's safe to say that Jay Cutler is our quarterback."

After Wednesday's OTA, the praise continued.

Cutler was the center of attention at Wednesday's workout."That arm strength -- I've never been around someone like that before," Turner said.

"His athleticism, the way he moves, it's like he has been playing quarterback since he was 3 years old," receiver Devin Hester added.

Cutler grew up a Bears fan in tiny Santa Claus, Ind., so he's well aware the team started 21 quarterbacks during the Brett Favre era in Green Bay. He's well aware the team hasn't had a true franchise quarterback since Hall of Famer Sid Luckman in the 1940s. He's well aware of the toddler-sized shoes he's trying to fill.

But no athlete in recent memory has come to this city with greater expectations. Not Albert Belle, Alfonso Soriano, Patrick Kane. Nobody. According to the Bears' media relations department, the team sold more than 1,500 Cutler jerseys in the first four days after the trade. That's more than all the Brian Urlacher, Hester and Matt Forte jerseys sold in 2008.

Jeff Dickerson of ESPN Radio 1000 was on hand for Chicago's OTA workouts this week, and he offers complete coverage on his Bears blog.

Listen to enough of those Bears fans, and you get the feeling Cutler is expected to not only lead the team to the Super Bowl, but also balance the state budget, fix the city's parking meter privatization mess and hit a few Game 7 World Series home runs for the Cubs.

Move over, Barack Obama. This is the audacity of hope. Jay Cutler solves all. Yes We Can. Yes, we can have defensive linemen who get to the opposing quarterback. Yes, we can have safeties who make plays. Yes, we can have a perfectly thrown spiral that, if you listen closely enough, you can hear whistle on a 20-yard out pattern. In Jay We Trust.

"I think we've created a bit of a buzz," Cutler said. "The expectations are pretty high right now, but the fans and the players -- we're all looking forward to the ride."

That ride won't officially begin until the Bears travel to Green Bay on Sept. 13. In the meantime, Cutler is spending his free time throwing to his receivers and watching film with Turner. The two go back and forth, watching Bears tape so Cutler can get an idea of what the team likes to do and then watching Broncos tape so Turner can get an idea of where Cutler excels. Although Turner said there won't be any new plays tailored specifically around Cutler's strong arm or mobility in the pocket, he definitely will be diving into sections of the Bears' playbook where they've never gone in the past.

New Bears quarterback Jay Cutler speaks after his first practice with Chicago.

"When he started throwing that first day, it was like, 'Whoa,'" Turner said. "It's not a knock against Kyle [Orton] or Rex [Grossman] or anybody else. But when Jay is out there, it's like a different level."

Cutler, to this point, seems to love the attention, thriving in the spotlight. He has thrown out the first pitch at a Cubs game, dropped the puck at the Blackhawks' playoff opener and given gossips plenty to talk about by exploring the ins and outs of city night life with his new teammates.

Although the expectations would be unfair for even Joe Montana or Dan Marino, Cutler just might be up to it. He's part swagger. Part smug. And all quarterback. At the Bears Expo, he confidently pushed all the right buttons and played perfectly to the crowd. He predicted the Bears would win the season opener against Green Bay and "knows" they will make the playoffs.

When one fan asked whether he had started to develop a hatred for the Packers, Cutler laughed and then said, "I've never really liked them." When another fan wanted to know whether he had begun recording a new "Super Bowl Shuffle," he quipped, "Orlando [Pace] is in the process of choreographing that whole deal. We're just waiting for him to finalize it."

Then there was the little boy who wanted to know how many touchdowns Cutler plans to throw this season.

"How many do you want?" Cutler responded, knowing his career high is 25.

"Thirty," the boy said.

"We can probably get you 30," Cutler said. "I don't think that's going to be a problem."

The new quarterback even staunchly defended his teammates. When one fan began asking whether a quarterback makes his receivers better or vice versa, Cutler stopped the fan before he had a chance to finish.

"You're worried about our wide receivers a little bit? Let me put you at ease," Cutler said, before explaining how the Broncos' Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal were relative unknowns before their arrival in Denver. "Receiving-wise, we've got what we need here. You don't need to worry about it."

Of course, none of this really matters. He can say all the right things. He can do all the right things. But it's irrelevant. The adoration of the fans, the first OTA, the circus that is likely to surround training camp come July -- at the end of the day, it is all irrelevant. Nothing matters until Cutler steps onto the field that September Sunday in Green Bay. That's when the touchdowns and interceptions will start to count. And that's when it will be wins and losses -- and not words -- that will determine how long this love affair lasts.

Until then, Cutler is enjoying the honeymoon. When asked by a female fan Sunday about his impression of Chicago women thus far, the quarterback-turned-rock star didn't skip a beat.

"Good city. Good women. I'm single, so I could get in a little bit of trouble."

Wayne Drehs is a senior writer for ESPN.com and ESPNChicago.com. He can be reached at wayne.drehs@espn3.com. Follow Wayne on Twitter at ESPNWayneDrehs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/co...yne&id=4192431

Did Cutler seriously just take credit for creating Marshall and Royal?
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Might seem that way but i didnt see an exact and direct quote from him. We drafted those guys pretty high based on what they did in college not what MIGHT happen thanks to Cutler. Like mentioned, they are drinking the Cutler Koolaid just like the Obama zombies.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

If he meant that the way is sounds, I will break up with him.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

I think it's hillarious.

BTW, he's playing for less than Simms, and is signed thru 2011.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

OK. But Obama supporters are not the only zombies in America. The phenomenon is non partisan.

Before Obama it was Bush kool aid -- which had a distinctly bitter taste as I recall.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

It is true that Marshall and Royal were unknowns before Cutler put them on the map. This is going to be a big year for both of them to prove that they can do it without the strong-armed, risk-taking gunslinger. I think they both have shown that they have it in them. I'm less worried about Eddie Royal than I am about Marshall. Brandon just doesn't seem to have his head screwed on straight.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
OK. But Obama supporters are not the only zombies in America. The phenomenon is non partisan.

Before Obama it was Bush kool aid -- which had a distinctly bitter taste as I recall.
I will take a guess you use the search option as you sprung to the actual Broncos part of the website when you saw something that was a partial political stab. Go back to the War room or to your bat cave and make that follow up book to the one that nobody read.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
He Did ... and he's an arrogant prick .. period!

Here's the bottomline:

"Of course, none of this really matters. He can say all the right things. He can do all the right things. But it's irrelevant. The adoration of the fans, the first OTA, the circus that is likely to surround training camp come July -- at the end of the day, it is all irrelevant. Nothing matters until Cutler steps onto the field that September Sunday in Green Bay. That's when the touchdowns and interceptions will start to count. And that's when it will be wins and losses -- and not words -- that will determine how long this love affair lasts."

Last edited by Hulamau; 05-21-2009 at 11:47 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #9
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Cutler was the center of attention at Wednesday's workout."That arm strength -- I've never been around someone like that before," Turner said.

Turner's acting like a 15 year old girl .. I'm sure he's never seen anything like it, and probably has no idea what to do with it either!

If Jay was just a borderline budding toxic Narcissist until now, this ass-kissing adventure is surely gonna push him over the edge.

Last edited by Hulamau; 05-21-2009 at 11:53 PM..
Old 05-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #10
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I bet cutler loses sleep at night thinking man I should be nice to broncos fans....he is a bear . I think he probably don't give a **** about the broncos or there lying ass of a owner .
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #11
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Um, Royal gets open and is hard to cover. That has nothing to do with Jay Cutler. Marshall has been dinged up and has the brain of a tube worm. However most of his big plays were yards after the catch, which again has nothing to do with Cutler. I think they helped each other tremendously. This is just wishful thinking by the writer who is concerned about his receiving corps and wants to pretend they're just as good there as they are here.

I would be more worried about their offensive line.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Um, Royal gets open and is hard to cover. That has nothing to do with Jay Cutler. Marshall has been dinged up and has the brain of a tube worm. However most of his big plays were yards after the catch, which again has nothing to do with Cutler. I think they helped each other tremendously. This is just wishful thinking by the writer who is concerned about his receiving corps and wants to pretend they're just as good there as they are here.

I would be more worried about their offensive line.
If williams is health he will have a darn fine LT
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #13
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
If williams is health he will have a darn fine LT
Ancient Olando Pace is left tackle by default, Williams is RT if his back holds up.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #14
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

At some point and time the Cutler haters are going to have to stop posting every single article that pertains to him....there will be hundreds of articles.

The Bears should be happy. They have their franchise QB. Of course they are going to drool over their investment. If the trade were reversed and we traded for Cutler this offseason this board would be blow banging him left and right.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:03 AM   #15
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

At the Bears Expo on Sunday, general manager Jerry Angelo referred to the Cutler addition as "divine intervention."

Okay Jerry you can get off your knees and wipe that off your lip, Jay's done now and he's happy.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #16
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Cutler was very lucky that Marshall caught some of those balls in double and triple coverage. It's more like Brandon Marshall made the legend of Jay Cutler...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #17
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I doubt his comment has anytihng to do with him saying that he made Marshall and Royal. Look at the context...the fan asked a question indicating he was concerned about their talent at receiver, and he pointed out that Denver had young receivers when he started here. Look at Chicago's roster...they have 4 rookie recievers and 2 second year guys. Earl Bennet, who Cutler played with at Vandy is the SEC's all time leading receiver. All he's saying is that they have young talent on the roster just like we did when he got here.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 AM   #18
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Ancient Olando Pace is left tackle by default, Williams is RT if his back holds up.
"Ancient" Orlando Pace is 33...the same age Matt Lepsis was two years ago when most of this board was insisting we didn't need to bother drafting his replacement since he had plenty left in the tank. I don't recall Lepsis being a 5 time All Pro or 7 pro bowl appearances either. Offensive linemen play a long time. A better comparison might be to Gary Zimmerman, who DID make All Pro 5 times...and as I remember he did pretty well here until he retired at age 36...3 years older than Pace.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #19
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Who's Jay Cutler?
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:57 AM   #20
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I doubt his comment has anytihng to do with him saying that he made Marshall and Royal. Look at the context...the fan asked a question indicating he was concerned about their talent at receiver, and he pointed out that Denver had young receivers when he started here. Look at Chicago's roster...they have 4 rookie recievers and 2 second year guys. Earl Bennet, who Cutler played with at Vandy is the SEC's all time leading receiver. All he's saying is that they have young talent on the roster just like we did when he got here.
Sure. But you can't deprive me of my hate for Cutler.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

So now he has thrown the fans, and the women of Denver under the bus. Actually Royal was projected to go about where he did. He tore it up at the combine. Marshall set records at his school.

Hester a converted dback and it shows in how he runs his routes and his hands.

Cutler is ultra cocky and confident though we all know that. He can throw a pick and he will come back and try same throw again, and often complete it.

Also if Bennet good why did he show absolutely nothing in his rookie yr.

Usually you at least get some flashes from a guy in his rookie yr. I'd be surprised if all the sudden Bennett plays well. Royal you could tell he had it first game he played.

If Bennett as good as Royal, and Hester can become a converted WR and play like Marshall then Bears in good shape. I just both of those as pretty big ifs.

I'd say both those ifs as big as me saying Doom and Moss will kick ass at OLB.

Doom=Hester Both have made some plays, but have to learn new position
Moss=Bennet Both drafted and did nothing yet.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:17 AM   #22
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

People act like Da Bears are going to contend next year. Jay is signed thru 2011. They don't have a couple draft picks next ear, SO WHAT? It's an UNCAPPED YEAR IN 2010. They can go after whoever they want.

It's DENVER that will need to sign a QB, god you people are simple.

I'd be more worried about Denver. Our "savior" is a FA next spring. and since we spent our #1 on Sith, we won't be able to pick and choose in a stronger draft.

It's funny how people here think this somehow was Cutler abandoning Denver.

Oh yeah, he's going to hold out....morons...he's playing for his favorite team, and they can always trade him...

Last edited by watermock; 05-22-2009 at 01:25 AM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:37 AM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
People act like Da Bears are going to contend next year. Jay is signed thru 2011. They don't have a couple draft picks next ear, SO WHAT? It's an UNCAPPED YEAR IN 2010. They can go after whoever they want.

It's DENVER that will need to sign a QB, god you people are simple.

I'd be more worried about Denver. Our "savior" is a FA next spring. and since we spent our #1 on Sith, we won't be able to pick and choose in a stronger draft.

It's funny how people here think this somehow was Cutler abandoning Denver.

Oh yeah, he's going to hold out....morons...he's playing for his favorite team, and they can always trade him...
Actually less players available in an uncapped yr because they have to have over 5 yrs service (or something like that) Also an uncapped yr means no minimum either and many expect if it gets to an uncapped yr teams will spend less.

Cutler has tons of yrs to win. Bears got a QB you can build around, there is no doubt.

Cutler just looks puffy in the face now though. I was looking at college pics of him and his face isn't puffy.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:55 AM   #24
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Know what? A WR's numbers are directly related to his QB's numbers.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #25
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Kinda of a misleading post actually. Cutler said nothing to the likes of any notion that he created Royal and Marshall. When it works, it works. Both QB and WR have to do their jobs in order for it to work. The notion that one makes the other is silly.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote