The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
dragondawg
All Pro

Default Niners sign CB Dre' Bly

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — Veteran cornerback Dre' Bly signed a one-year deal Thursday with the San Francisco 49ers, who moved quickly to fill the spot created by Walt Harris' knee injury.

The Denver Broncos released Bly in a salary dump in February after he spent two of his 10 NFL seasons with the club, starting all 32 games and intercepting seven passes. Bly was chosen for two Pro Bowls during his four seasons with the Detroit Lions, and he won a championship during four years with the St. Louis Rams.

"We lost a Pro Bowl-caliber player in Walt Harris this week, and we were able to fill that void with another Pro Bowler in Dre Bly," 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan said. "It was important to get Dre in here quickly so that he can get acquainted with our system, our coaches and his new teammates."

San Francisco, which finished four days of organized team activities earlier Thursday, signed Bly just a few hours after he arrived in town for a workout. Brian Kelly, the former Tampa Bay cornerback, also was scheduled for a visit.

The 34-year-old Harris' career is in jeopardy after he tore a ligament in his right knee during workouts Tuesday in a collision with receiver Dominique Zeigler. The 13-year pro has been a mainstay of San Francisco's defense since 2006, but almost certainly can't recover from his upcoming surgery in time to play this season.

Bly, who played with cornerback Champ Bailey in Denver, will line up alongside Nate Clements in San Francisco. San Francisco also has third-year pro Tarell Brown, a fifth-round pick who's expected to get more playing time this season.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...43G_wD98AUNF03

49ers sign Bly to take over for Harris

John Crumpacker, Chronicle Staff Writer

It did not take long for the 49ers to find a cornerback in the wake of Walt Harris' likely season-ending knee injury.

The club Thursday signed 32-year-old Dre' Bly, a 10-year veteran of the St. Louis Rams, Detroit Lions and Denver Broncos. Last year with the Broncos, Bly had two interceptions. He was released in February.
"San Fran is a football town and has die-hard fans," Bly said in a conference call. "They have tradition. I'm glad to be part of it. I'm just fired up, man."
Bly said one reason he's fired up is because he was waived for the first time in his career, released shortly after Josh McDaniels took over the Broncos as head coach. Bly spent the last two seasons in Denver, preceded by stays in Detroit (2003-06) and St. Louis (1999-2002).
"I never been released. That was humbling to me," Bly said. "The fact that happened, I'm so hungry. ... At this point in my career, it's not about money, it's about the opportunity to come in and compete. I wanted the right opportunity to compete and play. San Fran is a great franchise, has won Super Bowls, it's a great city. There's a lot of upside."
The 49ers had Bly in their sights shortly after Wednesday's announcement that Harris had torn the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee the day before. Bly was among nearly two dozen experienced cornerbacks in the league's available pool of talent at the position.
"There's a lot of them out there that I'm not excited about," coach Mike Singletary said earlier in the day, before Bly had been signed. "We're going to try to find a guy to come in and compete and make us better. You're looking for a guy that has talent."
That, apparently, is Bly. In 10 NFL seasons, he has 40 interceptions, five of which he returned for touchdowns. In three separate seasons Bly recorded six interceptions. He's been a durable player, appearing in 151 regular season games.
"Most corners' skills diminish because of injury or because they get heavy," said Bly, noting he's a trim 188 pounds. "I haven't missed a game the last three years. I still have my instincts and my quickness. ... One of my strengths is ball skills and awareness. I never had any problem making a play on the ball."
Bly noted that in the last 10 years, he and Denver's Champ Bailey are 1-2 in total interceptions among NFL cornerbacks. Bailey has 43 to Bly's 40.
"We added a player with a passion for the game, tremendous productivity and proven durability who knows what it takes to compete at a high level in the NFL," general manager Scot McCloughan said in a statement.
Bly was not promised a starting job when he spoke to Singletary on Wednesday. All Singletary promised him was an opportunity to compete for the right cornerback job with former starter Shawntae Spencer and third-year pro Tarell Brown.
Before Bly signed, Singletary said he would be fine with Brown starting at right corner. If Bly wins the job, Brown probably will remain as the 49ers' nickel corner, covering slot receivers on passing downs. Both men had two interceptions last season.
"Yes, indeed," Singletary said when asked if he could see Brown as the starter. "Tarell's been working his tail off. He's a very confident guy."
With the 49ers, Bly will be reunited with wide receiver Isaac Bruce, with whom he spent four seasons in St. Louis. When they spoke, Bruce gave Bly a thumb's up on the 49ers, their coach and the area.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/21/SPVA17OOJF.DTL

Last edited by dragondawg; 05-21-2009 at 09:33 PM..
dragondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Championship!
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Good luck Dre!
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Somebody picked up Paymah too...Minnesota maybe.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
Malcontent
Life....on tap.

Got Mustard?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chad Mustard

As the league turns...so do the sands..of time....or sumthin like dat!
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondawg View Post
Bly noted that in the last 10 years, he and Denver's Champ Bailey are 1-2 in total interceptions among NFL cornerbacks. Bailey has 43 to Bly's 40.
That's an awesome stat that ended up not helping us at all over the last two years
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaximines View Post
That's an awesome stat that ended up not helping us at all over the last two years
On the contrary, Bly gave us pretty good play and at least a few of those interceptions were in clutch situations.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Frankly, Bly was one of our legitimate starters last year.

Let's draft 2 corners and trade our likely top 10 pick in '10 for a safety slotted for round 5 instead, along with a blocking TE in round 2 when we allready have one paid 10 million in Graham. Something like that anyway. I just look at what we got for 3 firsts and 2 3rds.

Do we even know if our 11 million $ CB we wasted Portis on will come back healthy?

Last edited by watermock; 05-22-2009 at 04:41 AM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:42 AM   #9
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Dre Bly=afterthought, as it should be.

Nothing more than a poor tackling nickleback and an old one at that.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:00 AM   #10
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Dre Bly=afterthought, as it should be.

Nothing more than a poor tackling nickleback and an old one at that.
Actually, he sounds like our 1st rounder Smith in 10 years. If he's half as good, it will be a fair trade.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:02 AM   #11
Socrates
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaximines View Post
While this is a good point, our defense in general has just been poor. I think if the defense as a whole was better, we would have seen more interceptions.
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #12
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I really liked Bly and thought he played well for us, considering the system. Not even Champ really succeeded in what we were doing defensively the last 2 years. Champ last shined for us during the 2006 season.

Bly had a few games I really remember him playing well in, most notably one against the Steelers where it was clear he was injured but he continued to play with one functional arm and had some money passes defensed on 3rd down. Also, I thought he played excellently against the Browns with his coverage of Braylon and was a good part of that comeback against them last year.

But there were obvious games where he could have played better. I'm glad he has a chance to compete on another team and see where he's at with his skillset. Good luck to Dre!
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #13
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
I really liked Bly and thought he played well for us, considering the system. Not even Champ really succeeded in what we were doing defensively the last 2 years. Champ last shined for us during the 2006 season.
Co-sign. With our line giving enough time for recievers to get open on a regular basis and Champ on the opposite side making sure QB's didnt look to that side of the field to often it isn't suprising Bly didn't look good here. I have a sneaking suspicion he may have another few years in the tank at a good level. I wish him the best.

That having been said, draft CB's was still a good move. Neither Bly nor Bailey are a long term solution at this point, and getting some young blood on the roster before we crash and burn at the position is a very good idea. I still think DL would have been the wiser investment, but this was needed as well.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #14
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

If San Fran has any sort of semblance of a D-Line, Bly will succeed there.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote