The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Mike Florio Playoffs KC Yes Denver No

Mike Florio

"Six teams that could crash playoff party in '09"

Last year, I tried to predict six playoff teams from 2007 that wouldn't make it back in 2008; six non-playoff teams from 2007 that would replace them; and six non-playoff teams that would remain non-playoff teams in 2008.

Since my success rate was roughly equivalent to the turnover rate of playoff teams from one year to the next, I figure it makes sense to try it again.

Chiefs

Last year, a claim that the Dolphins or Falcons would reverse their disastrous fortunes and make it to the playoffs would have been met with instructions to submit to reasonable-cause drug testing.

This year, everyone is looking for the next team to make the same stunning turnaround.

The candidates are the Lions, who won zero games in 2008, and the Chiefs, who actually have won fewer games over the past two seasons that the Lions.

But the Chiefs were competitive in more than a few of their games last season, and they've added the man who nearly carried the Pats to the playoffs in the absence of Tom Brady.

Besides, K.C. plays in a wide-open division, where a .500 record was good enough to get to the playoffs last season.

So my (Delaware) money is on the Chiefs.

Which likely means the Lions will be the team to make a Fins/Falcons-style turnaround.

for the rest...........

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=549179

OH WAIT...IT GETS BETTER!

Mike Florio

Six NFL teams that could be home again for the playoffs

Now that I've listed six 2008 playoff teams that won't get back to the postseason in 2009 and six non-playoff teams that will take their places, common sense and a copy of the league's lineup of teams will permit a list of the other 14 non-playoff teams to be generated fairly easily.

But this is a three-part series. So I've got to emphasize six of those non-playoff teams from 2008 that will remain non-playoff teams in 2009. Otherwise, it'll throw the whole thing off.

So here's six who didn't make it last year and whom some might think will make it back, but I don't.

2. Denver Broncos

The good news for the Broncos is they play in a bad division.

The bad news for the Broncos is they're a lot worse than they were in 2008.

Weeks after the fact, the decision to trade quarterback Jay Cutler remains vexing. Regardless of whether coach Josh McDaniels decided he preferred Matt Cassel or whether McDaniels simply didn't want Cutler or whether Cutler simply didn't want McDaniels, a team should not be giving up a young franchise quarterback for any amount of draft picks or players.

So now the job falls to Kyle Orton, who couldn't do much of anything on a Bears team that had an excellent defense. He'll likely have an even harder time on a team with a mediocre defense.

But, hey, at least they have more tailbacks than former Broncos tailback Travis Henry has kids.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=550099

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 05-19-2009 at 06:39 PM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

lol, yeah, the Lions are going to make the playoffs. What a tard.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Well now that KC has a legit QB, I could see it happening with how weak this division is
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Well now that KC has a legit QB, I could see it happening with how weak this division is

Legit?

Give Tyler Thigpen : Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Jabbar Gaffney, Ben Watson and that O-line filled with pro bowlers he'd be "legit" I guess....

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Bronco Rob, you are the ultimate homer.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

I'm not going to get into an extended rant about how dumb Florio is, and in fact I love that the Broncos are being dismissed by pretty much everyone.

I do, however, think that the team will improve on last year's record simply as a result of better and more effective coaching. For the past 5 years or so, Shanny had been a very mediocre coach -- one which the players had grown tired of. He was predictable, often distracted, and often unprepared in games. He was coaching like a man in his 50s who had little left to prove and who had other concerns in his life (giant houses and all). Now swap that out with a first-time coach in his 30s, who will be working 24 hours a day, who has a massive chip on his shoulder and outsized motivation, and who has shown both creativity on the field and a pretty intense focus off of it. I think we're going to be just fine, actually.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

"But, hey, at least they have more tailbacks than former Broncos tailback Travis Henry has kids."

!
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Legit?

Give Tyler Thigpen : Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Jabbar Gaffney, Ben Watson and that O-line filled with pro bowlers he'd be "legit" I guess....

That offensive line helped give up 48 sacks(31st in NFL) after giving up only 21 the year before. They also had no real RB to help the running game. In fact, there were only 3 times last season when a Patriots RB had over 100 yards rushing in a game. It was so bad that they signed Lamont Jordan.
And I hate to burst your bubble, but Gaffney really isn't that good. He blew multiple opportunities and had only 2 TD's when teams put their best DB's on Moss and Welker and Watson is an average at best TE.

To say Cassel was successful because of his surrounding talent is stupid.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
That offensive line helped give up 48 sacks(31st in NFL) after giving up only 21 the year before. They also had no real RB to help the running game. In fact, there were only 3 times last season when a Patriots RB had over 100 yards rushing in a game. It was so bad that they signed Lamont Jordan.
And I hate to burst your bubble, but Gaffney really isn't that good. He blew multiple opportunities and had only 2 TD's when teams put their best DB's on Moss and Welker and Watson is an average at best TE.

To say Cassel was successful because of his surrounding talent is stupid.
If there were the same guys on the Oline and they gave up that many more sacks with a DIFFERENT QB, I wouldn't be looking at the Oline.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
If there were the same guys on the Oline and they gave up that many more sacks with a DIFFERENT QB, I wouldn't be looking at the Oline.
Valid argument but I doubt Cassel was responsible for giving up 2X as many sacks. This same offensive line got Brady hurt against the worst pass rushing team in NFL history. Let's not forget that.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Here is my opinion, for5give me I'm drunk. I think overall we are a better team. Our safeties are ten times better and I believe our D-line is too.

Yet I can see our record being worse bc our strength of schedule.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

just keep underestimating. The Broncos have always been an underdog team. When the primary NFL media outlets are against us we seem to do fairly well.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
everyone aside from the Raiders has a legit shot in the AFC West.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Valid argument but I doubt Cassel was responsible for giving up 2X as many sacks. This same offensive line got Brady hurt against the worst pass rushing team in NFL history. Let's not forget that.
The only variable was the QB. Or are you really that dumb?
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Oh heaven forbid if the Oline lets a Dlineman crawl his way and dive on the QBs knee.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #16
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Too many changes and TC hasn't started.
So how would Florio....or anyone else know how these teams will stack up?
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #17
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
Oh heaven forbid if the Oline lets a Dlineman crawl his way and dive on the QBs knee.
It wasn't even the line. It was a safety blitz, the RB picked him up but Pollard didn't quit and lunged at Brady.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #18
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
It wasn't even the line. It was a safety blitz, the RB picked him up but Pollard didn't quit and lunged at Brady.
Even more pathetic of an excuse for KC Dud.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #19
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
The only variable was the QB. Or are you really that dumb?
Yes Inkana Cassel was responsible for 27 more sacks than the year before. Are you sure you aren't that dumb?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I think SD plays better this yr, doesn't blow a ton of games early, and wins division with a 10-6 or 11-5 record.

Broncos/Chiefs/Raiders will have to fight it out for the wildcard in possible.

I know we said same thing last yr about chargers, but now that people see them as underachievers I think they will play better. Chargers stink when everyone picks them for Superbowl.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Yes Inkana Cassel was responsible for 27 more sacks than the year before. Are you sure you aren't that dumb?
Cassel I think will find it tougher in KC, but no doubt he is better then Croyle and Thigpen. You can tell that just from watching the 3 throw a few balls. Cassel more accurate then either of them.

He doesn't avoid sacks really well though. Sliding in the pocket to buy time is something Cassel got better at as last yr progressed.

I think for KC the key will be if the oline continues to improve, Bowe gets more consistent, and they find a replacement for gonzo.

One thing I think losing gonzo will do to chiefs is create a void in leadership in the receiving corps. Leaders as high in stature as Gonzo create a void when they leave and it often takes a yr for the offense to adjust.

All those big chain moving catches will have to be done by someone else now. Bowe will have to step up.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #22
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Your D gave up all of 8 less points than Denver last year, and LJ and Bowe **might** be the only guys on your offense that would have started in New England. Try again.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #23
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Yes Inkana Cassel was responsible for 27 more sacks than the year before.
KC has so much more talent than NE, Cassel will hardly get touched.
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #24
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Both teams are going to be crap this year.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #25
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

If he said no playoffs for us because our DL and loss of QB as well as turnover I'd go fair enough. In some spots we are BETTER then last year. RB S CB alot better LB we are better but, need another addition OL WR TE we are solid. We need more help no doubt but, to say what he did I disagree. Our record could be worse because poor DL and crappy QB play but, our overall team made improvements at least thats something.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote