The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default Video Interview with Alphonso Smith

from denverbroncos.com - probably right after the draft.

Anyway, this kid is well spoken, intelligent, and motivated.

We'll see how the team plays with the lights on, but I really, really like the guys this organization is bringing in. Smith looks solid.

I like the fact that he gave up zero TD's last year. That's another stat like Powell's negative rushing yards that flies under the radar but shows a sort of intensity and consistency I love.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I like the fact that he gave up zero TD's last year.
So who was covering Darrius Heyward-Bey when he went for 11 catches/101 yards and 1 TD against Wake? I thought Smith took the #1 receiver.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
So who was covering Darrius Heyward-Bey when he went for 11 catches/101 yards and 1 TD against Wake? I thought Smith took the #1 receiver.
What's it like hating the team that you claim to be a fan of? Is that hard for you? Do you find it to be a waste of your time?
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
What's it like hating the team that you claim to be a fan of? Is that hard for you? Do you find it to be a waste of your time?
I'm asking a simple question you simpleton.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 05-19-2009 at 07:40 AM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer
 
21ís No Champ

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,087

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
So who was covering Darrius Heyward-Bey when he went for 11 catches/101 yards and 1 TD against Wake? I thought Smith took the #1 receiver.
On how many of those catches was Alphonso Smith covering him?
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,732

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Considering the Broncos haven't been moving Champ around to cover the other teams' best receivers the last few years, I doubt Smith was covering him much in that game.

From which I have had issues with DC's simply just leaving CB's on one side of the field and they just cover who they get. If you're a smart OC, why would you ever put your best receiver on that side of the field with that teams' best CB if that CB just stays on that side and doesn't move to cover the best receiver no matter where he lines up? I'll put my best receiver on that teams' 2nd best CB all day if the DC isn't going to adjust at all.

My thinking is why not at least put your best CB on the other teams' best receiver on 3rd down, passing situations? Why just keep say your best CB stuck on one side of the field and never adjust?

The Broncos have done this with Champ for awhile now. He just stays on the same side of the field no matter the receiver and of course, he isn't going to face the other teams' best WR since they will move him around so Champ isn't covering him.

I hope this changes as well. Instead of wasting and putting Champ on a receiver the QB won't look to even if Champ wasn't covering the guy, humor me, put Champ on that teams' best WR no matter where he lines up on 3rd downs at least and let's see what happens.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
The Joker
Ring of Famer
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,282

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

They could easily have been playing zone on the DHB TD, with Smith giving him up to the safety on the particular play.

Or maybe they matched him up with someone else, as has been suggested already.

In fact, there are numerous ways that it could have happened.

Still, anything for a good whinge with some people.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,385

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
On how many of those catches was Alphonso Smith covering him?
Don't bother footsteps with details like the fact Wake Forrest runs a lot of zone or they moved Bey around a lot. He's emotionally invested in hating on this draft and he's lettin' everyone know!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,388

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I'm asking as simple question you simpleton.
You're digging for negative info on the kid. That's what you're doing.

I'm willing to give the kid a chance. Obviously, it was a crapshoot to trade a future 1 to gain a #37, but the kid has skills and was projected higher than where he was drafted. They were not going to get him unless they rolled the dice.

He's a potential playmaker in the secondary for many a year, and that's a necessary part of a good D.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #10
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
You're digging for negative info on the kid. That's what you're doing.

I'm willing to give the kid a chance. Obviously, it was a crapshoot to trade a future 1 to gain a #37, but the kid has skills and was projected higher than where he was drafted. They were not going to get him unless they rolled the dice.

He's a potential playmaker in the secondary for many a year, and that's a necessary part of a good D.
Negative info? Please. Has this place gotten you so brainwashed you can't even ask a single question without fearing you'll deviate to far outside the lines and be branded a heretic?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Don't bother footsteps with details like the fact Wake Forrest runs a lot of zone or they moved Bey around a lot. He's emotionally invested in hating on this draft and he's lettin' everyone know!
Yes Kahn...you're so right. I have nothing better to do with my time than troll this board looking ceaselessly for any opportunity hate on the draft. I think about it morning, noon and night, laughing with glee at each new nugget I can unearth to demosntrate the inferior mental capacity of our coaches. You should try this some time...it's so much fun.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,484

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Last year, there were a lot of people questioning taking Royal in the 2nd.

There's no reason why Smith couldn't turn out to be as good an investment.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #13
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,388

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Negative info? Please. Has this place gotten you so brainwashed you can't even ask a single question without fearing you'll deviate to far outside the lines and be branded a heretic?
You've been making a pattern of spinning every little thing negatively. Every post of yours is meant to spin everything to reflect on McD negatively. Did you think people missed that? Please.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20,031

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Yes Kahn...you're so right. I have nothing better to do with my time than troll this board looking ceaselessly for any opportunity hate on the draft. I think about it morning, noon and night, laughing with glee at each new nugget I can unearth to demosntrate the inferior mental capacity of our coaches. You should try this some time...it's so much fun.
You actually do though. Anytime someone brings up a positive factoid about any of the coaching staff or the draft, you think of a reason to hate on it.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #15
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer
 
Lev Vyvanse's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
So who was covering Darrius Heyward-Bey when he went for 11 catches/101 yards and 1 TD against Wake? I thought Smith took the #1 receiver.
The TD was against Kevin Patterson and Chris Langley.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #16
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Considering the Broncos haven't been moving Champ around to cover the other teams' best receivers the last few years, I doubt Smith was covering him much in that game.

From which I have had issues with DC's simply just leaving CB's on one side of the field and they just cover who they get. If you're a smart OC, why would you ever put your best receiver on that side of the field with that teams' best CB if that CB just stays on that side and doesn't move to cover the best receiver no matter where he lines up? I'll put my best receiver on that teams' 2nd best CB all day if the DC isn't going to adjust at all.

My thinking is why not at least put your best CB on the other teams' best receiver on 3rd down, passing situations? Why just keep say your best CB stuck on one side of the field and never adjust?

The Broncos have done this with Champ for awhile now. He just stays on the same side of the field no matter the receiver and of course, he isn't going to face the other teams' best WR since they will move him around so Champ isn't covering him.

I hope this changes as well. Instead of wasting and putting Champ on a receiver the QB won't look to even if Champ wasn't covering the guy, humor me, put Champ on that teams' best WR no matter where he lines up on 3rd downs at least and let's see what happens.

You bring up a good point. My gut feeling is that it was done because our safeties suck. With Champ a constant on one side of the field it's a simplified scheme that allows our safeties to swarm/roam one side of the field as opposed to being responsible for or covering both sides. This was compounded by the fact that our run D sucked so much that the safeties were constantly used to key against the run.

My guess is that if you suck as a safety it's much easier to have to make quick/simple reads like flow to one side of the field in pass coverage or swarm to the line of scrimmage instead of having to read or react for both sides of the field and support against the run.

Mind you with the kind of defense we had last year and how often it chopped and changed it's difficult to generalize. Also the amount of injuries we had at the position meant that backups/rookies whatever just found it easier to handle/manage a simplified scheme with Champ stuck to one side.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #17
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,385

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
You actually do though. Anytime someone brings up a positive factoid about any of the coaching staff or the draft, you think of a reason to hate on it.
That's what I was thinking when I read his "sarcastic" comment.

Footsteps, is there anything we've done as an organization you like?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #18
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,732

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
You bring up a good point. My gut feeling is that it was done because our safeties suck. With Champ a constant on one side of the field it's a simplified scheme that allows our safeties to swarm/roam one side of the field as opposed to being responsible for or covering both sides. This was compounded by the fact that our run D sucked so much that the safeties were constantly used to key against the run.

My guess is that if you suck as a safety it's much easier to have to make quick/simple reads like flow to one side of the field in pass coverage or swarm to the line of scrimmage instead of having to read or react for both sides of the field and support against the run.

Mind you with the kind of defense we had last year and how often it chopped and changed it's difficult to generalize. Also the amount of injuries we had at the position meant that backups/rookies whatever just found it easier to handle/manage a simplified scheme with Champ stuck to one side.
Great point. That's probably the reasoning. If not that, then hard to figure what it would be.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #19
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrueOne View Post
The TD was against Kevin Patterson and Chris Langley.
Finally...someone who knows how to answer a question. Thanks for checking.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #20
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh
 
Flex Gunmetal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 3,078

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Negative info? Please. Has this place gotten you so brainwashed you can't even ask a single question without fearing you'll deviate to far outside the lines and be branded a heretic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Yes Kahn...you're so right. I have nothing better to do with my time than troll this board looking ceaselessly for any opportunity hate on the draft. I think about it morning, noon and night, laughing with glee at each new nugget I can unearth to demosntrate the inferior mental capacity of our coaches. You should try this some time...it's so much fun.
See? The best trolls know how to use a thesaurus.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #21
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Gunmetal View Post
See? The best trolls know how to use a thesaurus.
I'm not a troll you nitwit.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #22
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That's what I was thinking when I read his "sarcastic" comment.

Footsteps, is there anything we've done as an organization you like?
Yep... http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...th#post2416652

"More on this kid...I'll give McD some props for taking a high character guy here. Much as I've bashed him...if he reverses the Shanny trend of thugs and idiots we've seen parade through here he will go a long way towards making me at least try to put the Cutler thing in the rear view mirror."

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 05-19-2009 at 11:23 AM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #23
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh
 
Flex Gunmetal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 3,078

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I'm not a troll you nitwit.
Yes you are.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Gunmetal View Post
Yes you are.
Learn what a troll is you little turd. Just because I don't care for the moves this rookie coach and this rookie GM have made doesn't make me a troll...it makes me a fan expressing an opinion, what this board is for in the first place.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #25
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I'm not a troll you nitwit.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Denver Broncos