The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default Video Interview with Alphonso Smith

from denverbroncos.com - probably right after the draft.

Anyway, this kid is well spoken, intelligent, and motivated.

We'll see how the team plays with the lights on, but I really, really like the guys this organization is bringing in. Smith looks solid.

I like the fact that he gave up zero TD's last year. That's another stat like Powell's negative rushing yards that flies under the radar but shows a sort of intensity and consistency I love.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I like the fact that he gave up zero TD's last year.
So who was covering Darrius Heyward-Bey when he went for 11 catches/101 yards and 1 TD against Wake? I thought Smith took the #1 receiver.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
So who was covering Darrius Heyward-Bey when he went for 11 catches/101 yards and 1 TD against Wake? I thought Smith took the #1 receiver.
What's it like hating the team that you claim to be a fan of? Is that hard for you? Do you find it to be a waste of your time?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
What's it like hating the team that you claim to be a fan of? Is that hard for you? Do you find it to be a waste of your time?
I'm asking a simple question you simpleton.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 05-19-2009 at 07:40 AM..
Old 05-19-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
On how many of those catches was Alphonso Smith covering him?
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Considering the Broncos haven't been moving Champ around to cover the other teams' best receivers the last few years, I doubt Smith was covering him much in that game.

From which I have had issues with DC's simply just leaving CB's on one side of the field and they just cover who they get. If you're a smart OC, why would you ever put your best receiver on that side of the field with that teams' best CB if that CB just stays on that side and doesn't move to cover the best receiver no matter where he lines up? I'll put my best receiver on that teams' 2nd best CB all day if the DC isn't going to adjust at all.

My thinking is why not at least put your best CB on the other teams' best receiver on 3rd down, passing situations? Why just keep say your best CB stuck on one side of the field and never adjust?

The Broncos have done this with Champ for awhile now. He just stays on the same side of the field no matter the receiver and of course, he isn't going to face the other teams' best WR since they will move him around so Champ isn't covering him.

I hope this changes as well. Instead of wasting and putting Champ on a receiver the QB won't look to even if Champ wasn't covering the guy, humor me, put Champ on that teams' best WR no matter where he lines up on 3rd downs at least and let's see what happens.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

They could easily have been playing zone on the DHB TD, with Smith giving him up to the safety on the particular play.

Or maybe they matched him up with someone else, as has been suggested already.

In fact, there are numerous ways that it could have happened.

Still, anything for a good whinge with some people.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
On how many of those catches was Alphonso Smith covering him?
Don't bother footsteps with details like the fact Wake Forrest runs a lot of zone or they moved Bey around a lot. He's emotionally invested in hating on this draft and he's lettin' everyone know!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
I'm asking as simple question you simpleton.
You're digging for negative info on the kid. That's what you're doing.

I'm willing to give the kid a chance. Obviously, it was a crapshoot to trade a future 1 to gain a #37, but the kid has skills and was projected higher than where he was drafted. They were not going to get him unless they rolled the dice.

He's a potential playmaker in the secondary for many a year, and that's a necessary part of a good D.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #10
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
You're digging for negative info on the kid. That's what you're doing.

I'm willing to give the kid a chance. Obviously, it was a crapshoot to trade a future 1 to gain a #37, but the kid has skills and was projected higher than where he was drafted. They were not going to get him unless they rolled the dice.

He's a potential playmaker in the secondary for many a year, and that's a necessary part of a good D.
Negative info? Please. Has this place gotten you so brainwashed you can't even ask a single question without fearing you'll deviate to far outside the lines and be branded a heretic?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Don't bother footsteps with details like the fact Wake Forrest runs a lot of zone or they moved Bey around a lot. He's emotionally invested in hating on this draft and he's lettin' everyone know!
Yes Kahn...you're so right. I have nothing better to do with my time than troll this board looking ceaselessly for any opportunity hate on the draft. I think about it morning, noon and night, laughing with glee at each new nugget I can unearth to demosntrate the inferior mental capacity of our coaches. You should try this some time...it's so much fun.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Last year, there were a lot of people questioning taking Royal in the 2nd.

There's no reason why Smith couldn't turn out to be as good an investment.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #13
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Negative info? Please. Has this place gotten you so brainwashed you can't even ask a single question without fearing you'll deviate to far outside the lines and be branded a heretic?
You've been making a pattern of spinning every little thing negatively. Every post of yours is meant to spin everything to reflect on McD negatively. Did you think people missed that? Please.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Yes Kahn...you're so right. I have nothing better to do with my time than troll this board looking ceaselessly for any opportunity hate on the draft. I think about it morning, noon and night, laughing with glee at each new nugget I can unearth to demosntrate the inferior mental capacity of our coaches. You should try this some time...it's so much fun.
You actually do though. Anytime someone brings up a positive factoid about any of the coaching staff or the draft, you think of a reason to hate on it.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #15
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The TD was against Kevin Patterson and Chris Langley.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #16
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Considering the Broncos haven't been moving Champ around to cover the other teams' best receivers the last few years, I doubt Smith was covering him much in that game.

From which I have had issues with DC's simply just leaving CB's on one side of the field and they just cover who they get. If you're a smart OC, why would you ever put your best receiver on that side of the field with that teams' best CB if that CB just stays on that side and doesn't move to cover the best receiver no matter where he lines up? I'll put my best receiver on that teams' 2nd best CB all day if the DC isn't going to adjust at all.

My thinking is why not at least put your best CB on the other teams' best receiver on 3rd down, passing situations? Why just keep say your best CB stuck on one side of the field and never adjust?

The Broncos have done this with Champ for awhile now. He just stays on the same side of the field no matter the receiver and of course, he isn't going to face the other teams' best WR since they will move him around so Champ isn't covering him.

I hope this changes as well. Instead of wasting and putting Champ on a receiver the QB won't look to even if Champ wasn't covering the guy, humor me, put Champ on that teams' best WR no matter where he lines up on 3rd downs at least and let's see what happens.

You bring up a good point. My gut feeling is that it was done because our safeties suck. With Champ a constant on one side of the field it's a simplified scheme that allows our safeties to swarm/roam one side of the field as opposed to being responsible for or covering both sides. This was compounded by the fact that our run D sucked so much that the safeties were constantly used to key against the run.

My guess is that if you suck as a safety it's much easier to have to make quick/simple reads like flow to one side of the field in pass coverage or swarm to the line of scrimmage instead of having to read or react for both sides of the field and support against the run.

Mind you with the kind of defense we had last year and how often it chopped and changed it's difficult to generalize. Also the amount of injuries we had at the position meant that backups/rookies whatever just found it easier to handle/manage a simplified scheme with Champ stuck to one side.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #17
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
You actually do though. Anytime someone brings up a positive factoid about any of the coaching staff or the draft, you think of a reason to hate on it.
That's what I was thinking when I read his "sarcastic" comment.

Footsteps, is there anything we've done as an organization you like?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #18
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
You bring up a good point. My gut feeling is that it was done because our safeties suck. With Champ a constant on one side of the field it's a simplified scheme that allows our safeties to swarm/roam one side of the field as opposed to being responsible for or covering both sides. This was compounded by the fact that our run D sucked so much that the safeties were constantly used to key against the run.

My guess is that if you suck as a safety it's much easier to have to make quick/simple reads like flow to one side of the field in pass coverage or swarm to the line of scrimmage instead of having to read or react for both sides of the field and support against the run.

Mind you with the kind of defense we had last year and how often it chopped and changed it's difficult to generalize. Also the amount of injuries we had at the position meant that backups/rookies whatever just found it easier to handle/manage a simplified scheme with Champ stuck to one side.
Great point. That's probably the reasoning. If not that, then hard to figure what it would be.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #19
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrueOne View Post
The TD was against Kevin Patterson and Chris Langley.
Finally...someone who knows how to answer a question. Thanks for checking.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #20
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Quote:
Quote:
See? The best trolls know how to use a thesaurus.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #21
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Gunmetal View Post
See? The best trolls know how to use a thesaurus.
I'm not a troll you nitwit.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #22
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That's what I was thinking when I read his "sarcastic" comment.

Footsteps, is there anything we've done as an organization you like?
Yep... http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...th#post2416652

"More on this kid...I'll give McD some props for taking a high character guy here. Much as I've bashed him...if he reverses the Shanny trend of thugs and idiots we've seen parade through here he will go a long way towards making me at least try to put the Cutler thing in the rear view mirror."

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 05-19-2009 at 11:23 AM..
Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #23
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Quote:
Yes you are.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Gunmetal View Post
Yes you are.
Learn what a troll is you little turd. Just because I don't care for the moves this rookie coach and this rookie GM have made doesn't make me a troll...it makes me a fan expressing an opinion, what this board is for in the first place.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #25
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote