The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Carlton Powell wants to play NT

Powell hopes to hold ground on Broncos' new line

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/05/powe...oncos-new-line

Tom Robinson
The Virginian-Pilot
May 19, 2009

For someone who's yet to play in an NFL game, Chesapeake's Carlton Powell has seen a career's worth of NFL drama play out before him.

One year with the Denver Broncos has brought Powell, a defensive tackle who attended Virginia Tech, a torn Achilles tendon that cost him his first shot at a rookie season. His team, once 8-5 and easily atop the AFC West, lost three straight at the end and missed the playoffs.

His coach Mike Shanahan, a presumed Denver untouchable, was canned and replaced by peach-fuzzed Josh McDaniels, who immediately clashed with high-producing/high-maintenance quarterback Jay Cutler, who wound up traded to Chicago.

Still following? Good. The plot thickens...

The new defensive coordinator, Mike Nolan, brought a new defensive scheme, ditching Denver's 4-3 base for a 3-4 alignment foreign to Powell. Then Denver's defensive line, routinely abused by running attacks last season, was virtually ignored in the college draft, which sparked a grumbling maelstrom in the Bronco-fan blogosphere.

Into this roiling swirl again steps Powell, mended and actually more insulated than most Broncos from the franchise's seismic shifts.

"My advantage was, although I was in film sessions and watching practice, I didn't really go through the same regimen as the rest of the players," Powell said Monday from Denver. "I wasn't as acclimated to the old way, so the change-over probably isn't going to affect me as much as it affects other players that were used to the way things were."

The things that can be are what drive Powell, 23, through his offseason workouts at the Broncos' training complex. Fully healed since January, Powell compares the specter of his NFL debut to a wandering soul in the desert.

"I'm waiting to get that first cup of water," he says, "and it's going to go down."

Powell's ultimate place, however, will be determined more by sips than gulps. Uncertainty surrounds him. He's a fifth-round draft choice coming off surgery, but with a reputation as a solid run-stuffer at Virginia Tech. He's also among a nondescript gaggle of veterans and rookie free agents, one of whom is Hampton University's Chris Baker, on a defensive line that sorely needs to raise its collective game.

"We're gonna get the job done this year, definitely," Powell says. "I'm not worried about it at all."

Powell admits to initial concern over the regime change, though. He's a Shanahan holdover, an unproven one at that. But Powell, who trains five days a week at Denver's complex, says he's been pro-active getting to know McDaniels and his staff by introducing himself around the training facility.

Powell, who Denver lists at 6-foot-2 and 300 pounds - Powell says he's closer to 315 - figures to compete for the nose-tackle job rather than either defensive end in coordinator Mike Nolan's new 3-4.

While Powell prides himself on versatility, the priority of a 3-4 nose tackle - holding ground even against double-team blocking - plays to his talents.

"You're right over the center, and if there's a double team it'll be on you real quick," he says. "You cannot give up any movement at all and allow them to get up to the linebackers in a 3-4."

That trench battle is where it really gets dramatic for a guy like Powell on the field. He can't wait, because he's had his fill of the other kind, thanks.

"It just shows you how the league is definitely a business, and that a lot of things can change in a small amount of time," he says of the Broncos' recent past. "You've just got to be able to adjust and roll with it."

Tom Robinson, (757) 446-2518, tom.robinson@pilotonline.com
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I've already posted my exclusive interview with Powell about where he's gonna play: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=79753
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:47 AM   #3
Bronco Yoda

Throw him in and see what happens. We're going to need someone to step up.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:50 AM   #4
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Throw him in and see what happens. We're going to need someone to step up.
Yeah ... if he's really 315, that's good news.

Cool avatar Yoda
Old 05-19-2009, 02:15 AM   #5
Bronco Yoda

I can't remember now where I lifted it from... but I liked it too

Good stuff Buff.

I wonder if that's playing weight. We now need a legit NT in the worst way. IMO the front 3-4 will be the key to any kind of success for us this year.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
I can't remember now where I lifted it from... but I liked it too

Good stuff Buff.

I wonder if that's playing weight. We now need a legit NT in the worst way. IMO the front 3-4 will be the key to any kind of success for us this year.
I agree, we need a legit NT or we're gonna get run on like it's 2007 all over again. Ron Fields has just 5 career starts and weighs just 315 ... not exactly numbers that inspire confidence.

Next NT in line is Powell I guess, and then CFA Chris Baker ... although there was some chatter just recently that Marcus Thomas might give NT a shot. I like Thomas as a 3-4 DE, he has the quickness.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
Bronco Yoda

Do you think any of these guys will pan out? I respect your judgment on this. Our LB's will not hold up without a stout front center. I don't even see how we'll even try a 3-4 at this point.

I'm debating on buying one of those 1960 throwback jerseys today online. Anyone else going to buy one of those mustard and brown uni's?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:58 AM   #8
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

"It just shows you how the league is definitely a business, and that a lot of things can change in a small amount of time," he says of the Broncos' recent past. "You've just got to be able to adjust and roll with it."

He seems to get it.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:41 AM   #9
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Any of these guys at 315 are probably rotation solutions, not starters at the NT spot. If he can play at that weight he might be a factor there but it just seems hard to envision them starting that light.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:52 AM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I want him to make it, I really want him to make it. He seems like a genuinely good guy.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:04 AM   #11
Premier-Ace55
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Any of these guys at 315 are probably rotation solutions, not starters at the NT spot. If he can play at that weight he might be a factor there but it just seems hard to envision them starting that light.
I'm not a great expert on the 3-4 but does the nose have to be 330lbs if they are rotating shouldn't be be okay. The dallas nt isn't much bigger than 315lbs and does fine. I would prefer a bigger nose but if the player is stout and strong and quick off the snap he should be fine in a rotation situtation where he wouldn't wear down i would think.
Premier-Ace55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #12
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

i think the away jerseys look better
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Of course he does. He's a Hokie.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #14
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If it's a more penetrative 3-4 then maybe we'll see Powell and Thomas rotating at the NT spot, with Fields or Baker brought in for short yardage situations where we need a big fatso in there.

The D-Line scares me though, really hope we can get something out of these guys or we're in for another long year.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
If it's a more penetrative 3-4 then maybe we'll see Powell and Thomas rotating at the NT spot, with Fields or Baker brought in for short yardage situations where we need a big fatso in there.

The D-Line scares me though, really hope we can get something out of these guys or we're in for another long year.
Our d-line os going to be better just for the sake of new coaches with something to prove.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Let's take a look at NT weights around the 3-4 league:
DALLAS:
Tim Anderson 315
Jay Ratliff 302

SAN DIEGO
Jamal Wiliiams 348
Ian Scott 302

PITTSBURGH
Casey Hampton 325
Chris Hoke 305

NEW ENGLAND
Vince Wilfork 325
Titus Adams 305
Ron Brace 330

NY JETS
Kris Jenkins 349
Howard Green 320

CLEVELAND
Shaun Rogers 350
Robaire Smith 310

BALTIMORE
Haloti Ngata 330
Justin Bannan 305

Not all that many jumbos in the league after all ...
Old 05-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #17
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier-Ace55 View Post
I'm not a great expert on the 3-4 but does the nose have to be 330lbs if they are rotating shouldn't be be okay. The dallas nt isn't much bigger than 315lbs and does fine. I would prefer a bigger nose but if the player is stout and strong and quick off the snap he should be fine in a rotation situtation where he wouldn't wear down i would think.
I agree. There are plenty of effective nose tackles in this league in the 310-315 range. It is clear we are going to have three big guys in the front three. Who will play where is not going to be determined until they put the pads on in training camp. I think Fields and Baker are pretty clearly NT's. Powell and Thomas I think can play either NT or DE. A front three of Powell, Thomas and Fields is not going to get pushed around. Throw in Peterson, Reid and McBean and we have some depth. We are young and big up front which is a big change from the past. I'm willing to wait and see how these young guys develop with some excellent coaching before pushing the panic button.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #18
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
DALLAS:
Tim Anderson 315
Jay Ratliff 302

SAN DIEGO
Jamal Wiliiams 348
Ian Scott 302

PITTSBURGH
Casey Hampton 325
Chris Hoke 305

NEW ENGLAND
Vince Wilfork 325
Titus Adams 305
Ron Brace 330

NY JETS
Kris Jenkins 349
Howard Green 320

CLEVELAND
Shaun Rogers 350
Robaire Smith 310

BALTIMORE
Haloti Ngata 330
Justin Bannan 305

that's actually more jumbos than i anticipated...

i thought Hampton was lighter than that, interesting...and Ngata isn't the Raven's starting NT, Kelly Gregg is...Gregg weighs 315 lbs...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #19
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Keep in mind, folks... we're going to be seeing a rotating front and I believe we'll see 4 down linemen about 25% of the time, but that's just a guess.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #20
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Get him on the Michael Phelps 10,000 calorie a day diet and turn him into a big fat slob that can clog up the middle even though there won't be much of a 2 gapping system this year.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #21
Conklin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I've already posted my exclusive interview with Powell about where he's gonna play: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=79753
still posting as if this was new when you posted it? i posted the same information DAYS ahead w/out feeling the need to start a thread about my awesomeness but instead in an existing thread about the subject.
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #22
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
Get him on the Michael Phelps 10,000 calorie a day diet and turn him into a big fat slob that can clog up the middle even though there won't be much of a 2 gapping system this year.
the Phelps diet?
Attached Images

kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #23
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
DALLAS:
Tim Anderson 315
Jay Ratliff 302

SAN DIEGO
Jamal Wiliiams 348
Ian Scott 302

PITTSBURGH
Casey Hampton 325
Chris Hoke 305

NEW ENGLAND
Vince Wilfork 325
Titus Adams 305
Ron Brace 330

NY JETS
Kris Jenkins 349
Howard Green 320

CLEVELAND
Shaun Rogers 350
Robaire Smith 310

BALTIMORE
Haloti Ngata 330
Justin Bannan 305

I want the scale they weighed Jenkins on, if it has him at 349, I will be a trim 210. I don't think he has been 350 since his senior year, he played at nearly 400 for a while.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #24
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Keep in mind, folks... we're going to be seeing a rotating front and I believe we'll see 4 down linemen about 25% of the time, but that's just a guess.
25% sounds conservative to me, I would say more like 40%.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #25
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
DALLAS:
Tim Anderson 315
Jay Ratliff 302

SAN DIEGO
Jamal Wiliiams 348
Ian Scott 302

PITTSBURGH
Casey Hampton 325
Chris Hoke 305

NEW ENGLAND
Vince Wilfork 325
Titus Adams 305
Ron Brace 330

NY JETS
Kris Jenkins 349
Howard Green 320

CLEVELAND
Shaun Rogers 350
Robaire Smith 310

BALTIMORE
Haloti Ngata 330
Justin Bannan 305

Well the best ones are all bigger than 315. Williams, and Jenkins are 350 and Hampton and Wilfork 325. Think about what it's like for our line when we play these guys. I know we could play Baker at 325 but since he's a rookie it would be nice if Powell put on a few more pounds. Maybe he can get to 325? I still wonder though if he wouldnt be better at the DE spot because if you want your best 3 on the field starting it might be necessary for him, Thomas and Baker to be in there. Of course Baker might not be ready so that could be all be a moot point.