The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default Useful Info ?

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp

Microwaving Water!

A 26-year old man decided to have a cup of coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up (something that he had done numerous times before). I am not sure how long he set the timer for, but he wanted to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shut the oven off, he removed the cup from the oven. As he looked into the cup, he noted that the! water was not boiling, but suddenly the water in the cup 'blew up' into his face. The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand, but all the water had flown out into his face due to the build up of energy. His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face which may leave scarring.

He also may have lost partial sight in his left eye. While at the hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this is a fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a microwave oven. If water is heated in this manner, something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such as a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc.., (nothing metal).

General Electric's Response:

Thanks for contacting us, I will be happy to assist you. The e-mail that you received is correct. Microwaved water and other liquids do not always bubble when they reach the boiling point. They can actually get superheated and not bubble at all The superheated liquid will bubble up out of the cup when it is moved or when something like a spoon or tea bag is put into it.

To prevent this from happening and causing injury, do not heat any liquid for more than two minutes per cup. After heating, let the cup stand in the microwave for thirty seconds! before moving it or adding anything into it.

Here is what our local science teacher had to say on the matter: 'Thanks for the microwave warning. I have seen this happen before. It is caused by a phenomenon known as super heating. It can occur anytime water is heated and will particularly occur if the vessel that the water is heated in is new, or when heating a small amount of water (less than half a cup).

What happens is that the water heats faster than the vapor bubbles can form. If the cup is very new then it is unlikely to have small surface scratches inside it that provide a place for the bubbles to form. As the bubbles cannot form and release some of the heat has built up, the liquid does not boil, and the liquid continues to heat up well past its boiling point.

What then usually happens is that the liquid is bumped or20jarred, which is just enough of a shock to cause the bubbles to rapidly form and expel the hot liquid. The rapid formation of bubbles is also why a carbonated beverage spews when opened after having been shaken.'
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

yup seen this before ... all about disturbing it right after you nuke it ...

have had the water jump out on my wrist a few times when it looked as if water wasn't even bubbling as i went to take it out...

I think the key is don't be a moron and stick your face down in the cup looking to see if it's hot ... trust me it is , it was the last time , it will be the next time ...

Last edited by TDmvp; 05-18-2009 at 01:08 PM..
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Wasn't this on the discovery channel show that they run into the ground when it's not Deadliest Catch season?

You know the one with the annoying red head and the bald guy with the goofy mustache.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
yup seen this before ... all about disturbing it right after you nuke it ...

have had the water jump out on my wrist a few times when it looked as if water wasn't even bubbling as i went to take it out...

I think the key is don't be a moron and stick your face down in the cup looking to see if it's hot ... trust me it is , it was the last time , it will be the next time ...
Yup.....I've done it too......nuked the water in a ceramic cup, it wasn't boiling.....then stirred it with a spoon.....and it was spitting all over the place.....didn't get burned, luckily.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I have all the water blow out of a large glass container. It didn't look to be boiling before all the water blew out and blew open the microwave. Also never microwave boiled eggs.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

is it safe to nuke bacon?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbmasterflash View Post
yes ... very ...

"Making Bacon"
http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-b...od/22cmmb.html

made just for it ... and works great maybe even better then on the stove ... Only meat the microwave doesn't ruin .I normally only go with 4 pieces at a time tho so not to drop any .... but is killer product , better then the other microwave bacon trays ...

Last edited by TDmvp; 05-18-2009 at 06:17 PM..
Old 05-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
BroncosinDC
Now Live From Baltimore!

True Men have Facial Hair

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

"Making Bacon" was invented by a girl who was around the age of 12. She passed away a few years ago from cancer, just some random info on the product. My Mom used to have a business relationship with the family and as such I used to use that thing all the time.
BroncosinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosinDC View Post
"Making Bacon" was invented by a girl who was around the age of 12. She passed away a few years ago from cancer, just some random info on the product. My Mom used to have a business relationship with the family and as such I used to use that thing all the time.

Hmmmm I didn't know she had passed ... Seen lot of stories about her on tv back when she first invented it but nothing about her being sick ... google aint finding it for me either , maybe it was kept private or something ...

Here is their site and some other with stories and don't see anything ...
http://www.makinbacon.com/welcome.htm
http://www.makinbacon.com/story.htm

http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/fleck.html
Old 05-19-2009, 01:09 AM   #10
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Wasn't this on the discovery channel show that they run into the ground when it's not Deadliest Catch season?

You know the one with the annoying red head and the bald guy with the goofy mustache.
oh yeah, the two guys almost as ugly as Gene. I always have nuked water for at least 2 minutes but seem to be doing something else for a minute before pulling it out. I will now have my wife take it out of the microwave so i save my face.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:15 AM   #11
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbmasterflash View Post
Gross....some things were just not meant to be microwaved.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:23 AM   #12
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
QFT

My grandfather microwaves steak! (he microwaves sausages as well - but the steak annoys me more)

I'm like: "Pop, PLEASE thats a beautiful T-Bone! Don't do it!"

Every time he does I die a little bit inside... well maybe not, but it seems stupid to me, I mean geeze take the extra few minutes to cook it in a pan or on a BBQ
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #13
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
QFT

My grandfather microwaves steak! (he microwaves sausages as well - but the steak annoys me more)

Every time he does I die a little bit inside... well maybe not, but it seems stupid to me, I mean geeze take the extra few minutes to cook it in a pan or on a BBQ
When I first started dating my wife, she tried making me a grilled cheese sandwich in the microwave....nasty.

I had to show her that a grilled cheese sandwich had to be made on a skillet on the stove top.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:28 AM   #14
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
QFT

That is a waste of a good piece of meat.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:28 AM   #15
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Trust me ... I thought that way as well ... Until I tried that Makin Bacon thing ... My parents had had one forever and I didn't know ...

I was there one day and while I was there suddenly there was bacon in the kitchen and i started eating it and didn't even think about it , and then I was like HEY I hadn't heard or smelled my mother cooking It ...

So I asked , is she was like I nuked it ... and I was all Bull $hit !!! ... Microwaves rubberize meat .... Are you saying You made it earlier and just reheated ??
and she said nope and showed me . It was like she was a magician ...

But trust me in one of those Makin Bacon things , or any the ones that keep the bacon up in the air (some just look like a plate with grooves and don't work as well) ... But the ones like in that Link I posted make bacon in the microwave that is AS GOOD OR BETTER then in a pan cause it don't sit in it's own grease .
I called BS as well till i seen it hehe ...

But tis true ... 1 , 1 and a half mins a slice ... I make 4 at a time so it's like 4 , 4 and a half mins .... lay them between 2 paper towels till you are ready for them and you wont know it wasn't cooked on the stove ...

Crispy and everything ... NO idea why or how ... But it ownz .
http://www.makinbacon.com/welcome.htm
http://www.makinbacon.com/cooking_with_the_dish.htm
Old 05-19-2009, 01:49 AM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Is it safe to dry my girlfriend's cat in the micowave after it's bath?

BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #17
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

only if you were unsuccessful at drowning it.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #18
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Seriously, I've dodged alotta bullets over the years on this.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #19
Broncochica
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Good information, thanks Sassy for posting!
Broncochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Wow, I've been doing this for years to make tea. I only microwave it for a minute but this was good info. Thanks Sassy.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #21
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
**POP** goes the weasel...
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #22
FantomForce
Long live the Mane!

The Incredible BULK!

F that musta hurt!
FantomForce is offline   Reply With Quote