The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line
Default Kirwan's power rankings on NFL.com

Quote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

8. San Diego Chargers 8-8, first in AFC West, lost in divisional playoffs

Philip Rivers and his teammates are ready to take the big step and get to the final game of the season. The return of Shawne Merriman and the improved health of cornerback Antonio Cromartie could put the defense on solid ground in a weak division.

13. Chicago Bears 9-7, second in NFC North

Jay Cutler changes everything for the Bears. He's a playmaker with a cannon arm who can win a game with a fourth-quarter drive. The offensive line is better, but are the receivers good enough to take advantage of Cutler's skills? The defense will be better with Rod Marinelli reuniting with his friend Lovie Smith on the Bears' coaching staff.

27. Denver Broncos 8-8, second in AFC West

It seems like overnight this franchise fell apart with the loss of long-time coach Mike Shanahan. The Broncos also let Jay Cutler go and many veteran players have moved on as well. The conversion of the defense into a 3-4 package will take two years to complete, which makes things tough on the offense. Time will tell if the players can move on from the departure of Cutler, and the pressure on young coach Josh McDaniels could be brutal if the fans and media turn on him.

30. Oakland Raiders 5-11, third in AFC West

If JaMarcus Russell takes a big step in his development, this team will be much better than this spot. However, Russell has to prove it first. Oakland can run the ball, but Russell will need to come from behind in at least half of his games and that is an issue. The team might have a better record with Jeff Garcia under center, but that wouldn't help the club in the long run.

31. Kansas City Chiefs 2-14, fourth in AFC West

General manager Scott Pioli is not going to go for the quick fix, otherwise he would have never traded Tony Gonzalez. Pioli will build the defense the way he did in New England, and the offense will be conservative until all the pieces are in place.

As usual I am sure we will finish higher than the pre season power rankings show, but this is the lowest I remeber us being for many years.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I think we were just as low last year, on some rankings.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Wow, the AFCW sucks!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Great so every time someone posts these things we get to hear about the Bears too.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
TheDave
Sauced...

Considering we don't have our 1st next year... I sure hope we don't suck as bad as all these power rankings say we do.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

We'll finsih middle of the pack at the least. Mark it down.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Punisher
® Kiss the shoes!

We run the AFC WOOOOOOO!®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

9-7,7-9,8-8 I think theres only one way to go Up.

Will it happen this year? Will see....
Punisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

They say it like letting those vets go was a bad thing. Half our our starting D last year is still out of a job!
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Punisher
® Kiss the shoes!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
Great so every time someone posts these things we get to hear about the Bears too.
I know right
Old 05-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
9-7,7-9,8-8 I think theres only one way to go Up.

Will it happen this year? Will see....
If it doesn't happen this year, then it is not really up is it? If we win fewer than 8 games, it is in fact down.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
Punisher
® Kiss the shoes!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
If it doesn't happen this year, then it is not really up is it? If we win fewer than 8 games, it is in fact down.
There's just five words to say as your going down down down.....

You're gonna Burn in hell

Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Broncos more like a #21-22 team now, but otherwise an accurate assessment of what has happened in Denver. The slow realization that losing Cutler was a horrible move is going to be painful for some who choose to remain blinded
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
I think we were just as low last year, on some rankings.
ESPN has the best archives I was able to find quickly...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerr...=0&season=2008 2008 #22

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerr...=0&season=2007 2007 #7

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerr...=0&season=2006 - 2006 #4

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerr...=0&season=2005 2005 #15

Most of the other archives are a mess, couldn't find Kirwans entries. As I remember we sat somewhere between 16 and 22 on most rankings preseason.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
Punisher
® Kiss the shoes!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

Quote:
Between Jay Cutler and Javon Walker, they've brought in their QB-WR tandem of the future.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Jay Cutler changes everything for the Bears. He's a playmaker with a cannon arm who can win a game with a fourth-quarter drive. The offensive line is better...

He can also blow a game with a red zone int.

And if you're counting on Orlando Pace to make your line better you're in trouble.

...and many veteran players have moved on...

If by "moved on" he means "were let go and are now out of the league" then I agree.

Last edited by TonyR; 05-18-2009 at 11:35 AM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #16
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
Broncos more like a #21-22 team now, but otherwise an accurate assessment of what has happened in Denver. The slow realization that losing Cutler was a horrible move is going to be painful for some who choose to remain blinded
Okee dokee Nostradamus! Your man love for Jay is sickening, to say the least.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #17
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
Get used to it....their success will be compared to our success for the next decade.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Get used to it....their lack of success will be compared to our success for the next decade.
Fixed that for you.

Also, the big picture on all this really isn't hard to figure out. Cutler is a physical talent. But he's not a leader, and he's not a winner. He's Jeff George, but with Type-1 diabetes.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #19
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInSkinland View Post
As usual I am sure we will finish higher than the pre season power rankings show, but this is the lowest I remeber us being for many years.
The article you quote is pretty shallow, asserting that the franchise fell apart when Shanahan left. This fan thinks the franchise fell apart long before Shanahan left. It started to show about the time Gary Kubiak left. It went over the cliff when Al Wilson had to retire. I suspect they were the string and baling wire that was holding together the O and D for a franchise in serious decline.

Bowlen's move to fire Shanahan was gutsy and cost him a lot of money. It's nice to have an owner that can act decisively when things are broken.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #20
Paladin
Ring of Famer

And here I thought Orton and Simms were upgrades.....

I don't believe the Bears' Oline is better, certainly not better than Denver's. There is some hype in the piece, I think.

Frankly, I am astonished that people actually beleive that the Denver O has lost all of it's punch. Why is it that when Quitler was in Denver, there was very little said about him, and now that he is in Chicago, he's the best thing since slice bread? Really is a hoot.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #21
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/powerrankings - 25

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...y11/index.html - 20

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...gs-2009/page/3 - 25

http://walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php - 26 (This one already has its own thread)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...r-rankings.htm - 26 through fan voting

There seems to be a consensus here of in the area of 20 to 26, leaning towards the 26 side. I've seen a few with the Chiefs and the Raiders above us. Now we have a history of getting screwed on power rankings before the season starts, so I am not putting a lot of weight into this, but it seems that the "anti-McDaniels crowd" has some company amongst professional analysts.

Re. the Bears I will leave them out in the future, if you want to take a glance at where our estimated 1st round pick next year is sitting you can just hit the link(s). I wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers on those who think we upgraded.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
And here I thought Orton and Simms were upgrades.....

I don't believe the Bears' Oline is better, certainly not better than Denver's. There is some hype in the piece, I think.

Frankly, I am astonished that people actually beleive that the Denver O has lost all of it's punch. Why is it that when Quitler was in Denver, there was very little said about him, and now that he is in Chicago, he's the best thing since slice bread? Really is a hoot.....
Did you miss last season? Cutler was getting blown by the media on nearly every show, and why...? Because he's that good. Some people are in for a boat load of heartache this season by convincing themselves that we've made strides "as a team". I'd love to be wrong, but I'm bracing for a loooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggg season.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #23
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
Fixed that for you.

Also, the big picture on all this really isn't hard to figure out. Cutler is a physical talent. But he's not a leader, and he's not a winner. He's Jeff George, but with Type-1 diabetes.
Good God allmighty.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #24
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
If by "moved on" he means "were let go and are now out of the league" then I agree.
Yeah that part was funny. I agree that transitioning to a new scheme takes time. You need to get the right players in your system and they need to get comfortable running it. That takes time. But this idea that we lost all these great veterans is hilarious.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #25
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Krieger: Broncos' respect taking big hit

I think this article is very keenly intertwined with this thread's topic of the power rankings:

Broncos' respect taking big hit
By Dave Krieger
The Denver Post

Quote:
The Nuggets' postseason run is providing a welcome distraction from our soap opera of a state religion, which has fallen off the map while we've been watching basketball.

Sure, the Jay Cutler fiasco had the Broncos front and center there for a minute, but it was sort of an Ozzy Osbourne front and center, not necessarily what the public relations department had in mind.

Since then, as talk has turned to the coming season, the Broncos have gotten a lot less sexy. NFL.com, the league's official Internet site, ranks them 27th in its first 2009 power rankings. CBSSports.com has them 25th.

On the bright side, both rank the Raiders and Chiefs even lower, meaning the Broncos could wind up in second place in the AFC West, even if they're as bad as these folks expect them to be.

In short, in his first year as Broncos coach, Josh McDaniels has set himself up to be a miracle worker. All he has to do is work the miracle.

Although McDaniels is counting heavily on the New England system to propel the Broncos to success, he doesn't get much credit for the system from national analysts because it hasn't traveled that well for Eric Mangini, Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis, three earlier acorns from the Bill Belichick coaching tree.

Lose a winning coach and franchise quarterback, turn your defensive line into open auditions, and presto, you suddenly are keeping company with the Rams, Niners and Browns, of all people.

Check out the rest of the article: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12407467
s0phr0syne is online now   Reply With Quote