The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme
Default TE Quinn was surprised he was drafted at all

Before last season, National Football Scouting formed its opinion on North Carolina tight end Richard Quinn. He was graded between a sixth-round pick and an undrafted free agent.

After Quinn caught only eight passes for 97 yards, he had his own opinion. The sixth round seemed like a reach.

"I thought maybe I'd be a free agent and be blessed to have the opportunity to come to a team and maybe try out," he said.

Draft prognosticators weren't high on Quinn. Mel Kiper Jr. had Quinn ranked as a mid-round pick. Pro Football Weekly had Quinn ranked eighth among tight ends.

So how, a few minutes after text messaging his agent on draft day to say that he was going to sleep, did Quinn wind up as a second-round pick of the Denver Broncos?

The rest of the story HERE.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Interesting...

His agent, Peter Schaffer, said it wasn't one team making a gigantic reach. He said he fielded calls from a few teams that wanted Quinn in the middle of the second round, but they traded their picks or passed on Quinn to fill other needs. Schaffer said Quinn would have gone in the first few picks of the third round.

Before the draft, Schaffer said he talked to Texans general manager Rick Smith, who wanted Quinn in the middle of the third round.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Denver724
Ring of Famer

I think he would have went in the first few picks of the 3rd round. Not really a reach at all and I think will be a great TE in our scheme.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Seems like other teams valued Quinn's blocking ability as well.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

seems like a strange pick to jump up for when we have Daniel Graham..
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
His agent, Peter Schaffer, said it wasn't one team making a gigantic reach. He said he fielded calls from a few teams that wanted Quinn in the middle of the second round, but they traded their picks or passed on Quinn to fill other needs. Schaffer said Quinn would have gone in the first few picks of the third round.

Before the draft, Schaffer said he talked to Texans general manager Rick Smith, who wanted Quinn in the middle of the third round.
The agent says it so it must be true.

Funny how some team say they want him in the middle of the 2nd round, but don't, but yet the agent is certain that he would be drafted early in the 3rd?
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"I'm a Dr Pepper richer because that was the bet."

Nice.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

He must have impressed MCD with his 'gregariousness'----this was the pick that made me vomit almost as much as trading next year's #1 for Smith........hopefully, this guy can block like Graham.....
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

This is powerful hilarious for the Josh detractors ....

I would really love to see where this guy was on other teams' draft boards.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Again, everyone seems to flip out over the trade to get him, but if we spent the two thirds on Quinn and Olsen most people could probably deal with it. I think Quinn has a great chance of panning out.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Old news...but Quinn was coveted here IMO because Daniel Graham is going to be sent packing. Yes I know the Pats used two blocking TE's...well he was let go there so I think he'll be let go here. He's to costly and apparently McD doesn't value the TE in the offense anyway if you go by what the Pats TE's do in the passing game. We have a UDFA TE in camp plus Jeb the human crash dummy as well. Quinn...may or may not have been there in the 3rd...not sure but unless he's an absolutely amazing blocker it seems like a big time reach.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #12
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
[Agent] said he fielded calls from a few teams that wanted [Player] in the middle of the [insert] round, but they traded their picks or passed on [Player] to fill other needs. [Agent] said [Player] would have gone in the first few picks of the [insert next] round.
Technically, every agent could say this about every one of their clients.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

People keep saying we spent two thirds on him, ignoring the fact that we got a 4th in return. We didn't lose any picks in the deal.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Old news...but Quinn was coveted here IMO because Daniel Graham is going to be sent packing. Yes I know the Pats used two blocking TE's...well he was let go there so I think he'll be let go here. He's to costly and apparently McD doesn't value the TE in the offense anyway if you go by what the Pats TE's do in the passing game. We have a UDFA TE in camp plus Jeb the human crash dummy as well. Quinn...may or may not have been there in the 3rd...not sure but unless he's an absolutely amazing blocker it seems like a big time reach.
NE ran a lot of 2 tight end sets and 3 TE sets near the goal line. There's room for both Graham and Quinn
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
NE ran a lot of 2 tight end sets and 3 TE sets near the goal line. There's room for both Graham and Quinn
Graham...I suspect is to rich for Pat Bowlen's blood for what he does. He just signed a huge contract and I don't know how long his contract is for but I bet Bowlen's already laying plans to push the eject button. If there's another Richard Quinn out there in the draft next year or through FA this year...don't say I didn't tell you.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
We'll have 3 TE's on the field at times
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #17
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I actually would prefer to see Hillis playing the H-back spot jumping from a backfield spot as FB to a TE position or lining up in the backfield as a receiver as well. He's much more talented and versitile than any one dimensional blocking TE and while he might need to work on his blocking, the guy's clearly capable physically. I hate to see him or Scheffler off the field to make room for someone like Quinn.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

It's obvious that with the uncapped year coming we will be shedding as many of the high cost contracts as possible. (Owners, Bowlen included, are going to be taking as much profit next year as possible.) So look at our draft with that in mind. Our so-called "reaches" were all made with a specific contract dump in mind. The two most obvious ones: Champ, and Graham. Neither player will be a Bronco next year. Which is why Alphonso and Quinn were drafted.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
lmao! wtf is up with your avitar?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #20
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
It's obvious that with the uncapped year coming we will be shedding as many of the high cost contracts as possible. (Owners, Bowlen included, are going to be taking as much profit next year as possible.) So look at our draft with that in mind. Our so-called "reaches" were all made with a specific contract dump in mind. The two most obvious ones: Champ, and Graham. Neither player will be a Bronco next year. Which is why Alphonso and Quinn were drafted.
I don't know if DG and CB are in that group, but I said this during and after the draft which is why we took an opportunity to dump one of the 1sts.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #21
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
lmao! wtf is up with your avitar?
Cool, ain't it?
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #22
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
there is another word for it.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I actually would prefer to see Hillis playing the H-back spot jumping from a backfield spot as FB to a TE position or lining up in the backfield as a receiver as well. He's much more talented and versitile than any one dimensional blocking TE and while he might need to work on his blocking, the guy's clearly capable physically. I hate to see him or Scheffler off the field to make room for someone like Quinn.
Just a guess, but I have a feeling Hillis will come out listed as a fullback, and be utilized much like you said, but also as a single back. I think Quinn will be used more as a 2nd blocking TE in situations where we're looking to pound the ball. In fact, Hillis and Quinn could be on the field at the same time quite a bit, imo.

Overall, I think there's going to be a level of player movement and substitution in Denver that the fans just haven't seen. It'll take some getting used to, but it's worked very well for NE.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Just a guess, but I have a feeling Hillis will come out listed as a fullback, and be utilized much like you said, but also as a single back. I think Quinn will be used more as a 2nd blocking TE in situations where we're looking to pound the ball. In fact, Hillis and Quinn could be on the field at the same time quite a bit, imo.

Overall, I think there's going to be a level of player movement and substitution in Denver that the fans just haven't seen. It'll take some getting used to, but it's worked very well for NE.
Add to that the idea of Scheffler lining up inside then splitting wide as a receiver at 6'5" 250.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #25
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

I am all for player substitution and packages that accentuate players skill sets.

I am glad we have that kind of depth at TE where we have the luxury of a Pass catcher (when healty), a established blocking Vet, a Rookie Blocker, an Hback/fullback.

We may have the greatest TE core in the league.

Too bad our Dline is still; neglected, underpowered, unproven, young, inexperienced, lacking talent or vet leadership.

Doom and Thomas are our Dline Vets. I doubt they strike fear in anyone.

Can't fix everything in one year I guess.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote