The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default Best of the Decade

Ok, we have about 7 1/2 months left in this year. So, I might be jumping the gun a bit. But, I doubt it. I dont think anything that happens this summer/fall - short of thermonuclear war - is going to really shape the decade. So, I am taking a stab at it.

1. Biggest news story of the Decade. It comes down, in my mind, as a 3 way race - 9/11, the Iraqi War, & a black man in the WH. I am gonna go with the Iraq War.

2. Biggest/best sports story. For Broncos fans, I think it would be Denver hosting a first ever Playoff game in their new digs, & defeating the previously undefeated - in the play offs - Pats. In the greater world, I think it comes down to the Sox ending the curse or Lance Armstrong. I am gonna go with Lance, cuz that is something everyone can get behind.

3. Best Movie of the Decade. The Departed.

4. Best Song of the Decade. Like a Stone by Audioslave

5. Best Album of the Decade (showing my age here with that term). Stadium Arcadium by the Peppers.

6. Best Book of the Decade. I am an avid reader, but I cant think of any one book that stuck out amongst the others. So, I leave that out there for everyone else to mull over.

7. Most influential person in the Decade. Love him or hate him, I have to go with Karl Rove. I think he more than any other human being on the planet put his stamp on this decade.

8. Best TV show of the Decade. I watch little TV, but I have come to really enjoy 2 and Half Men.

There a ton of other categories, feel free to add as you like.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Ok, we have about 7 1/2 months left in this year. So, I might be jumping the gun a bit. But, I doubt it. I dont think anything that happens this summer/fall - short of thermonuclear war - is going to really shape the decade. So, I am taking a stab at it.

1. Biggest news story of the Decade. It comes down, in my mind, as a 3 way race - 9/11, the Iraqi War, & a black man in the WH. I am gonna go with the Iraq War.

2. Biggest/best sports story. For Broncos fans, I think it would be Denver hosting a first ever Playoff game in their new digs, & defeating the previously undefeated - in the play offs - Pats. In the greater world, I think it comes down to the Sox ending the curse or Lance Armstrong. I am gonna go with Lance, cuz that is something everyone can get behind.
All excellent choices, though I would opt for the Red Sox, and 9/11 over the Iraq War. There's always a war, but 9/11 was unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo
3. Best Movie of the Decade. The Departed.

4. Best Song of the Decade. Like a Stone by Audioslave

5. Best Album of the Decade (showing my age here with that term). Stadium Arcadium by the Peppers.
Unlike the news categories above, These categories are too taste-specific to pick one, as reasonable minds may differ in matters of taste.

Quote:
7. Most influential person in the Decade. Love him or hate him, I have to go with Karl Rove. I think he more than any other human being on the planet put his stamp on this decade.
Can't argue with that, he had a massive influence on the country and the world.

Quote:
8. Best TV show of the Decade. I watch little TV, but I have come to really enjoy 2 and Half Men.
Hate Charlie Sheen, just hate hiim.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
loborugger
lost in the ether

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

The music and movie - that is subjective. I was just giving my favs. Everyone varies.

As for Sheen, I understand not liking the guy. Which is why I didnt watch the sow for years. But one day, I was walking thru the room, my wife was watching it, and I was hooked.

Think about - 10 years ago, there were people hunkering down and buying food, batteries, firearms, etc cuz the world was gonna end due to the Y2K thing.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
BroncosinDC
Now Live From Baltimore!

True Men have Facial Hair

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Quote:
Think about - 10 years ago, there were people hunkering down and buying food, batteries, firearms, etc cuz the world was gonna end due to the Y2K thing.
I'm pretty sure half this board did that when Cutler was traded as well.
BroncosinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
It's hard to come up with a list because of lot of it is everyone's preference, especially in the movie, book and TV show category. But with out being bias, based on being number 1 almost every year it's been on in this past decade, have to go with American Idol. Of course there could be several categories for TV, this one would be in reality series.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

the last Harry Potter book for best book. kind of symbolizes how popular the Potter series was in this decade and got kids excited about reading again
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

For me:

Best book series of the decade: Song of Ice and Fire
Best tv show of the decade: Battlestar Galactica
Best album: Toss up between Hail to the thief (Radiohead), Marshall Mathers LP, and Lateralus (Tool)
Biggest/Best sports story: Tiger Woods' incredible run in '08
Best technological advances: Cheap wifi/broadband, smartphones
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
slyinky

Thar she Blows!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Hate Charlie Sheen, just hate hiim.
He once spilled a drink on me at the W Hotel in Hollywood. He was actually very apologetic after I gave him a 'what the F' stare, actually kind of felt bad and told him don't worry about it. Anyway, why do you hate him? I'm not a fan or anything, just curious.
slyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
sutoazul
Independently Owned

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Best book of the decade has to be The Da Vinci Code... it has broken all the records.

I can't stand Charlie Sheen either, two & a half men is ok, but I have to agree that American Idol would be the best (by popularity only) of the decade, even though I have never watched an episode.
sutoazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
You may be right, but Rove is a pig, so let's go with a 'positive' influence.

I'll go with J.K Rowling who has influenced more people with her books than Rove could ever dream of.

Quote:
As of June 2008, the book series has sold more than 400 million copies and has been translated into 67 languages,[2][3] and the last four books have consecutively set records as the fastest-selling books in history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

2000-2009 will go down as one of the most lopsided and unique decades in U.S. history.

You start things off with a very controversial presidential election and quite possibly one of the most ignorant politicians of all times becomes our president. We then see the most savage attack on U.S. soil on 9/11 while our president is caught on live video trying to hide in his own mind and pretend it didn't happen. Later on our leader falsifies information to the public and declares war with another country who had nothing to do with the 9/11 attack, stating that this war would be over before it started and cost us very little. It turned out to last the entire decade, costing thousands upon thousands of innocent lives, cost to the U.S. tax payer over a trillion dollars and still counting. We continue to deregulate until the camels back finally broke. The greed of many individuals who have such high rank and power finally ruin the day of blue collar America. The country's employment #'s and financial standing plummet faster then ever as our economy compares to that of the great depression. Then the people finally become wise and are sick of hearing the same old worn out right wing lies during the next presidential race. Tired of being lied to and preached to about fears that do not really exist. The people, by the largest landslide in presidential history, elect a new kind of leader. Somebody who is actually educated and intelligent. Just because you went to college doesn't mean you became educated while you were there. America finally sees that our wars all over the country, and uncontrolled deregulation, are costing us our country. So from the start of the decade, where it seemed a large proportion of this country was still fine with corporations growing stronger, having more control over our economy, continued deregulation and the wealthy getting richer, it seems most people have finally stepped forward and said enough is enough. Let's hope the next decade we continue to keep trying to fix America and instead of going back to the old right wing days of trying to fix the world.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
CoopDawg
Seasoned Veteran

McCaffrey

Biggest news story of the Decade: I think the election of President Obama and 9/11 are tied. Those two events stand out to me as having the biggest impact.

Biggest/best Sports Story: The Giants beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Biggest/Best Broncos Story: Beating the Patriots at home in the playoffs.

Best Book of the Decade: Harry Potter Series.

Most influential person in the Decade: Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, he is the swing vote on 5-4 rulings from the court.

Best TV show of the Decade: LOST
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
loborugger
lost in the ether

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
It's hard to come up with a list because of lot of it is everyone's preference, especially in the movie, book and TV show category. But with out being bias, based on being number 1 almost every year it's been on in this past decade, have to go with American Idol. Of course there could be several categories for TV, this one would be in reality series.
Well, thats the point... put down your list.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

This is done waay too early. Mine will be the Nuggets winning the NBA Championship.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #15
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosinDC View Post
I'm pretty sure half this board did that when Cutler was traded as well.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Too early, but for events... 9/11 is definitely the biggest event of this decade as far as single events go.

Though, the sub-prime mortgage/CDO financial melt-down will prove to be the largest event this country (and probably the globe) will witness in this decade.

9/11 was a human tragedy for the U.S.... but the financial melt-down will affect this (and other) countries for years to come.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #17
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
Biggest news story of the Decade: I think the election of President Obama and 9/11 are tied. Those two events stand out to me as having the biggest impact.

Biggest/best Sports Story: The Giants beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Biggest/Best Broncos Story: Beating the Patriots at home in the playoffs.

Best Book of the Decade: Harry Potter Series.

Most influential person in the Decade: Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, he is the swing vote on 5-4 rulings from the court.

Best TV show of the Decade: LOST
Though the Giants beating the Pats was awesome...you gotta go with the Red Sox first Championship in like 86 years or whatever it was..not to mention they were down 3-0 to the Yankees and came back to beat them..it was damn near a miricle!!

Last edited by maher_tyler; 05-16-2009 at 03:45 PM..
Old 05-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyinky View Post
He once spilled a drink on me at the W Hotel in Hollywood. He was actually very apologetic after I gave him a 'what the F' stare, actually kind of felt bad and told him don't worry about it. Anyway, why do you hate him? I'm not a fan or anything, just curious.
Interesting, did he even buy you a drink?

I don't like him because, a) he's a silver spoon with little if any evident talent, b) I know an AP who worked on The Arrival who had a "negative experience," so to speak, c) he can't keep it in his pants, and d) although it's a pretty funny line, his statement, "you don't pay to have sex with prostitutes, you pay to make them leave," is pretty misogynistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps
Too early, but for events... 9/11 is definitely the biggest event of this decade as far as single events go.
Definitely, I don't think it's even close actually.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #19
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

1. Biggest news story of the Decade. It comes down, in my mind, as a 3 way race - 9/11, nothing put the world into more a halt than 9/11 and nothing had a bigger impact on the decade than 9/11.

2. Biggest/best sports story. 18-1, the accomplishment of winning 18 games in a row and then losing the big one.

3. Best Movie of the Decade. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.
3b. Best Non-English Movie of the Decade. Pan's labyrinth.

4. Best Song of the Decade.

5. Best Album of the Decade.

6. Best Book of the Decade. Ringworld's children, Larry Niven.

7. Most influential person in the Decade. Dick Cheney.

8. Best TV show of the Decade. Corner Gas.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #20
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

1. Biggest news story of the Decade - 9/11. September 11th, 2001 started this whole avalanche of events that we've experienced. It was the spark.

2. Biggest/best sports story- Michael Phelps. What he accomplished will be hard to top, ever. It took 30 years for him to top Spitz, it might be longer for someone to top him. Plus the 08 Olympics were awesome. That's the most entertainment I've ever gotten from sports.

3. Best Movie of the Decade - The Dark Knight. Just an unbelievable movie. From the script, to the acting, to the production. Everything was perfect.

4. Best Song of the Decade - Good question. I'm not a big fan of current music. I'll probably go with "Desecration Smile" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

5. Best Album of the Decade - Modern Times - Bob Dylan.

6. Best Book of the Decade - Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey. Go buy it, now. It's unbelievably good.

7. Most influential person in the Decade - Gotta go with Karl Rove here. He was the puppet master that dictated how the world worked for 8 years. 2nd Place goes to either Osama Bin Laden, or Vladamir Putin.

8. Best TV show of the Decade -House. ****ing awesome show.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #21
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

You could argue OBL the most influential person .....
Old 05-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #22
Dexter
Pro Bowler

Bay Harbor Butcher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

1. Biggest news story of the Decade. 9/11 So many things changed because of this day.

2. Biggest/best sports story. Michael Phelps in the Olympics.

3. Best Movie of the Decade. Lord of the Rings Return of the king

4. Best Song of the Decade. Believe by The Bravery

5. Best Album of the Decade: Rise Against Appeal to reason

6. Best Book of the Decade. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

7. Most influential person in the Decade. I can't really pick one.

8. Best TV show of the Decade. This is a 3 way tie for me. Smallville, Dexter or The Big Bang Theory.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #23
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

L O S T

That's my personal "TV Show of the Decade."
Old 05-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #24
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Best sports story has to be Phelps.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #25
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Best sports story has to be Phelps.
We should break it down into individuals and teams then...because the Sox after being down 3-0 to the Yankees of all teams to come back and win that series was remarkable in itself but then win the World Series after not winning one for 86 years..my great grandparents were 6 when the Sox won their last championship prior to that one!!