The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default Wow!...Check out this cool story on Seth Olsen

Hey I like this guy! How come this hasn't been reported anywhere yet by the Denver media? This dude's got a different agenda that deserves mention. Check it out:

http://hlog.iowa.com/2009/04/21/seth...in-his-sights/

Seth Olsen has more than the NFL in his sights

April 21st, 2009 by Mike Hlas

A common complaint I’ve heard over the years is we media mopes tend to focus on the athletes who have gone astray. What about all the good ones?
The thing is, part of being a “good one” is you don’t seek recognition for your goodness. You just try to live it.

Seth Olsen, a consensus first-team All-Big Ten offensive guard at Iowa last season, tries to live it.

Olsen’s desire to live for something greater than himself, along with the same feeling of a Cedar Rapids schoolteacher, produced something very nice at Monroe Early Childhood School in Cedar Rapids earlier this year.

The result is a school somewhere in Africa is going to have cleaner, safer water. “I’d read that Seth had a passion for helping get clean water to Africa,” said Monroe physical education teacher Lisa Pilch. “I have a passion for that myself.”

So Pilch called the Iowa football office and got connected with Olsen, asking him if he wanted to participate in a project she was doing with her 5- and 6-year-old students called “Coins for Clear Water.” The kids sought to get people to donate coins for the cause, which was to help build a fresh-water well at an African school via non-profit organization charity: water.

“Lisa asked me if I wanted to be part of it,” Olsen said, “and I was thrilled to help in any way.”

A wishing well was placed in Monroe’s office. The kids spent three weeks seeking peoples’ pocket change. The total raised topped $3,000.

“I was really, really touched,” Pilch said. “I thought we might get a few hundred dollars. Here we got three thousand dollars in coins. It was pretty awesome.”

Olsen, a mountain of a young man at 6-foot-5 and 305 pounds, cut quite the figure with a lot of little kids who may not have known a Hawkeye from a blue eye or a private eye.

“Ohhh, the kids were so excited to meet him,” said Pilch. “You couldn’t ask for a nicer guy. He was just great with the kids.”

Olsen hopes this was an initial step in one of his life goals, which is to help get clean water for Africans who desperately need it. “The last two or three years I’ve felt God has given me a heart for Africa,” Olsen said. “I’m not sure why.

“Clean water is kind of a scant commodity in Africa. It was something I was made aware of a couple years ago.

“My wife and I want to try to go to Africa after my first full NFL season, hopefully next February or March.”

What Olsen wants first, of course, is to join the many former Hawkeye offensive linemen who have preceded him into the NFL. He played in the East-West Shrine Game, went to the league’s scouting combine. He’s done all the interviews and tests, endured the pokes and probes, showed prowess in bench reps and vertical jumps.

Now it’s a matter of waiting until Sunday, probably, to see if and where he lands in the draft and where his new home will be. Then starts the business of trying to carve out a long pro career. For many football players, that’s the dream. For Olsen, it’s the means toward his dream.

“My dream job after the NFL is to work for a non-profit that does work bringing clean water to Africa,” he said. “If everything goes well in football, eventually I’d like to start my own non-profit.
“My wife, Christi, is a nurse (at the UI’s Children’s Hospital), so it’s easy for her to help. Me, I have to figure out how I can help.

“If I play for a few years at the NFL minimum, starting a non-profit is a more-realistic goal. Plus, playing in the league gives you a platform more than anything, for whatever message you’re promoting.”

Olsen is from Omaha. He didn’t grow up in poverty, under the threat of disease. But it’s elsewhere in the world, and it bothers him.

“The amount of water we use in this country is astronomical,” he said. “In Africa they have to walk miles to get water, and then it’s dirty anyways.”

There you have it, an abridged story of one of the “good ones.”

“Seth is going to do great things,” Pilch said, “whether he plays in the NFL or not.”
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

What about kids in the USA that don't have food and shelter? Take care of our own then move onto Africa.

It's great though he isn't selfish, but seems like it's in style to look to Africa for everything from babies to charities. I would like to see more done for kids in the USA.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Welcome to the inequity of the world Seth.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
What about kids in the USA that don't have food and shelter? Take care of our own then move onto Africa.

It's great though he isn't selfish, but seems like it's in style to look to Africa for everything from babies to charities. I would like to see more done for kids in the USA.
So you're saying...what? He doesn't have a right to decide what to do with his life and money he earns? Maybe be glad he's not doing drugs, carrying a weapon or beating up women OK?

BTW...I have the same focus on Africa and I'm a full year into developing business relationships to help over there. People in this country have absolutely no idea what true hardship, poverty and despair is.

Gimme a freaking break OK?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

Quote:

Says the redneck.
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

i agree. i love that these athletes and some celebrities are donating to charities, but fix America 1st.

i mean there are kids all over the USA that are in orphanages, or are suffering on the streets, homeless people everywhere. it isn't right to want to fix another country when your home country is broken. it is almost the equivalent of a family with a member who needs a kidney transplant, and instead of giving your available kidney to your family member, you donate it, to some dude in another state.

take care of your own and once everything is in its place, then help everyone else.

same thing with all these douchebag celebrities adopting chinese kids. give a happy home to an american kid, who is unwanted. i am sure if you really want an asian kid, you can find an asian-AMERICAN kid in an orphanage somewhere in the country instead of importing some kid from another country.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #7
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
So you're saying...what? He doesn't have a right to decide what to do with his life and money he earns? Maybe be glad he's not doing drugs, carrying a weapon or beating up women OK?

BTW...I have the same focus on Africa and I'm a full year into developing business relationships to help over there. People in this country have absolutely no idea what true hardship, poverty and despair is.

Gimme a freaking break OK?
how are you going to give him ****, for saying people should help THEIR home country which is in bad shape, instead of trying to fix an even worse country?

millions of kids, and just people in general in the USA are homeless, starving, dying from common diseases, because they are unable to support themselves, and people who have the necessary means to possibly help these people, want to help ****ing Africa instead. there are thousands of orphans in america that need homes and families, but instead people are into this retarded trend of wanting chinese babies instead.

cutthemdown is right, people with the necessary means should help fix america's problems and only when those problems are fixed, should we decide to spend resources and time to fix another country.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:01 AM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo15 View Post
Says the redneck.
I'm not a redneck at all. What about me feeling that charity should start at home is redneckish (is that a word).

I believe in helping Americans first. I have given overseas, but only for huge things like the Tsunami. I have adopted a soldier, I give to city of hope. If that's being a redneck then I wish more people would be rednecks.

Just a guess you probably don't give to charity do you?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:03 AM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Also I understand all about the problems in Africa. I supported Bush's giving money there to try and stamp out malaria and aids. I'm all for clean water in Africa I just don't understand why we don't make sure all American kids have food and clean water first.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:05 AM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i agree. i love that these athletes and some celebrities are donating to charities, but fix America 1st.

i mean there are kids all over the USA that are in orphanages, or are suffering on the streets, homeless people everywhere. it isn't right to want to fix another country when your home country is broken. it is almost the equivalent of a family with a member who needs a kidney transplant, and instead of giving your available kidney to your family member, you donate it, to some dude in another state.

take care of your own and once everything is in its place, then help everyone else.

same thing with all these douchebag celebrities adopting chinese kids. give a happy home to an american kid, who is unwanted. i am sure if you really want an asian kid, you can find an asian-AMERICAN kid in an orphanage somewhere in the country instead of importing some kid from another country.
I think we can do both at same time. Obviously the things we both brought up will never be solved 100%. I'm sure Seth will do plenty for kids in America as well. It's people that have something to say, a comment, but never do anything that I have a problem with.

Get out, help your community. Help out someone you don't know once in awhile.

I wasn't trying to be negative I think it's great Broncos have a player who isn't selfish and wants to try and help people.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:30 AM   #11
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Probably because he's looking at the NFL minimum salary for at least several years and so what disposable income he'll have will go a lot further there than here?

Or maybe that its really so damn bad there that something like installing a clean water well has a whole lot larger impact.

Lot of reasons. Maybe he just feels personally attached. Not really anyone's right to judge charity acts of others.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:31 AM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Iowa makes me very mad. I'll get over it though and am glad he's here.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:39 AM   #13
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Iowa makes me very mad. I'll get over it though and am glad he's here.
Indeed, Iowa is the root of evil. isn't omaha part of Iowa?.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:41 AM   #14
goldengopher1976
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:

I understand this sentiment but you are setting up a false dichotomy. There will never be a time when we will have "taken care of our own" to such a degree that we will be free to "move on" to other countries. Such things are not either/or, they are both/and. By helping with this cause, he has helped raise awareness among a number of young students, the people from whom the coins were received, and now a large group of people reading this article. It is now up to each of us to get involved doing something, whether that is here in the U.S. or abroad.
goldengopher1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:43 AM   #15
goldengopher1976
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
I think we can do both at same time. Obviously the things we both brought up will never be solved 100%. I'm sure Seth will do plenty for kids in America as well. It's people that have something to say, a comment, but never do anything that I have a problem with.

Get out, help your community. Help out someone you don't know once in awhile.

I wasn't trying to be negative I think it's great Broncos have a player who isn't selfish and wants to try and help people.
Sorry, didn't read this before I posted, sounds like we're on the same page.
goldengopher1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:46 AM   #16
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

Good for him.
I like him already!
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:14 AM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Sorry, that's nebraska, bud.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:25 AM   #18
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Cut,

You are not well informed.

Bush's first Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill toured Africa and on his return proposed a plan to make clean drinking water available to local villages in several Agrican nations.

It could have been done for pocket change -- a few million -- but O'Neill's boss, GW Bush -- wasn't interested. Bush dismissed the proposal out of hand -- and in the process showed what a selfish a-hole he is.

You can get the full sad story in Ron Suslind's book The Price of Loyalty.

Oh -- but I forget. You are one of the resident knee jerks -- who considers reading books to be unmanly.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:48 AM   #19
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

A lot of great points have been made already regarding this topic. There are a lot of needs in America. Anyone who has been on an inner-city mission trip can attest to that. When I got back from an inner-city mission trip last summer, I noticed my mother-in-law (who was gracious enough to watch my kids for the week) had gone out and stocked my kitchen with all sorts of food. The feelings of gratefulness and guilt were so overwhelming, I just broke down crying right there in my kitchen. Some Americans have it really bad...and it's not always their fault for being in that position...especially when it comes to the children that are homeless and hungry. Have you ever talked to a homeless American child? It's sobering, to say the least.

Then there are the problems in Africa. I have a friend who spent nearly a year in Uganda. She told me stories of unclean water, mosquito nets to protect from malaria and other diseases, AIDS and other unthinkable things, such as people who will throw their newborn babies in their version of a toilet (which is just a huge hole with a make-shift toilet seat over it). She helped feed them, educate them and even save babies from certain death after being left in a cess pool. It was very inspiring to hear about the differences Americans were making in the lives of the people in Africa.

Someone earlier said we can do both at the same time and I agree. But I think there needs to be greater exposure for both cases. There is not enough attention on the homelessness and the disadvantaged single mothers in America. Likewise, there is not enough attention on the violence and sub-human living conditions in Africa.

I applaud Olsen for his intentions and I sincerely hope his NFL career is solid, so he may pursue his dreams after football. And for the record, I also applaud guys like B-Marsh for working with Rev Kelly's kids and the other athletes/celebrities who leverage their status for the benefit of people right here in America.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:57 AM   #20
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Maybe he should be camp room mates with Spencer Larsen. Didn't Spencer spend a year or two doing mission work?

I like these guys on the team right now. I'm getting a little happier all the time watching my kids put on their Broncos jerseys.

Hopefully, the wins come and the character pays off.

You guys can ease up on what Seth Olsen is doing about water in Africa - what are you doing to help? The world has enough critics and not enough actual workers. If he gives his heart to a constructive cause, who are you to complain?

Peace out...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:35 AM   #21
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

maybe we can just be happy we don't have a ****ing douchebag on the team
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:39 AM   #22
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Maybe he should be camp room mates with Spencer Larsen. Didn't Spencer spend a year or two doing mission work?

I like these guys on the team right now. I'm getting a little happier all the time watching my kids put on their Broncos jerseys.

Hopefully, the wins come and the character pays off.

You guys can ease up on what Seth Olsen is doing about water in Africa - what are you doing to help? The world has enough critics and not enough actual workers. If he gives his heart to a constructive cause, who are you to complain?

Peace out...
Strong post.

What some people fail to see is that we are helping ouselves by helping, for example Africa. I mean, there are global initiatives intended to reduce poverty internationaly, why would we be left out of that? Especially when our trade depends on geopolitically sensitive issues.

Also, the problems in Africa are much more dire and simple. I read in The Economist the other day about a new straw, developed in the us, with a filtration mechanism. It costs about 80 cents to make, and could save millions in healthcare.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #23
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Heck, athletes, actors, actresses, Hollywood just themselves could feed all the starving kids in the world, but too many are selfish and will not give a helping hand. They instead b**** they ONLY got 15 million and not 20 million.

Instead organizations have to ask people that do not have the kind of money and resources the above mentioned do to try to help when many are barely able to support themselves, much less other people.

I cheer for Olsen. Sure, kids in the U.S. need help too, but at least he is someone in position to do something and is doing it. Why isn't most of Hollywood, where so much money is sitting collecting dust, doing more?
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #24
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Council Tucky is..not Omaha..even though I know you already know this.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #25
elpasojoe
Solid Starter

Location: El Paso, TX, originally Ordway (southeast) Colorado

Applaud the young man for any work where he is helping the less fortunate. As far as fixing home first, what makes you think he won't be first one to volunteer once a local, Denver group ask for help. Something tells me he has the potential to become a great Bronco ambassador in the community.
elpasojoe is offline   Reply With Quote