The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: OT POLL: What Drug Did Birdman Get Suspended For?
Methamphetamine 16 29.09%
Cocaine 27 49.09%
LSD 0 0%
Opiates, including heroin, codine and morphine 12 21.82%
PCP 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry
Default OT POLL: What Drug did Birdman Get Suspended For?

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...3383/index.htm

For a guy whose cellphone rings to Metallica's Enter Sandman, Chris Andersen doesn't do much sleeping. On most days he's up at 4:45 a.m., taking his monstrous cane corso for a walk in the Rocky Mountain foothills that frame his new home in Larkspur, Colo. By 6:00 Andersen has usually pretzeled his 6'10" frame into his truck and headed for a gym on Denver's south side, where he sweats through a headband festooned, pointedly, with the NBA logo.
After that, he has oceans of time at his disposal. When the NBA season begins in two weeks, Andersen, once a hyperkinetic forward and defensive stopper for the New Orleans Hornets, will be nine months removed from his dismissal from the league, having run afoul of its one-strike-and-you're-out policy with respect to "drugs of abuse"--including amphetamines, cocaine, opiates and PCP. His case can be reviewed, though, and Andersen can apply for reinstatement on Jan. 27, 2008, a date he anticipates the way a prisoner does his day of release. (The conditions for reinstatement are vague, but he'll have to demonstrate that he's clean and that his life is in order.) "I have a one-track mind right now," Andersen, 28, said last week in a soft voice flavored with a Texas drawl. "Getting back to the NBA, for me it's like getting back home."
Andersen has led an unusual life. After his mother gave up custody of him (she was working three jobs and pulling down $15,000 a year) and his father, an artist, left town to tour with his work, Andersen spent his early teenage years at a Dallas-area orphanage. Lightly regarded at his tiny high school in Iola, Texas, he played a year and a half of junior college ball before heading to the Chinese Basketball Association--"He had more energy than anyone," recalls Yao Ming, who opposed Andersen--and then embarked on an odyssey of basketball backwaters. When he caught on with the Denver Nuggets in 2001, his raw skills were offset by his athleticism and energy. "He played cowboy basketball," says Clyde Drexler, who, as a Denver assistant, turned the Nuggets on to him.
Andersen's self-deprecating can-y'all-believe-I'm-here? disposition was on full display at the 2005 dunk contest when he memorably required eight attempts to convert a dunk. In five NBA seasons he never averaged more than 7.7 points, but the melding of his Everyman sensibilities and his penchant for creative dunks--spawning his nickname, Birdman--made him a cult hero. "He connected with fans," says former teammate P.J. Brown. "People that never met him considered him a friend."
But in the summer of 2005, the Birdman's wings got clipped. He and his girlfriend split. He and his mother stopped speaking. His New Orleans home was ravaged by Katrina. The Hornets relocated to Oklahoma City, and Andersen arrived 20 pounds overweight, bulk that caused shin splints and blunted his energy. He doesn't use this as an excuse--he knows he still had it better than most people--yet lonely, displaced, injured and underperforming, Andersen became a fixture in Oklahoma City's watering holes. Soon he moved beyond alcohol. He won't reveal which drug was in his system, but, as he puts it, "Let's just say all that [excess] weight went away."
With one sensationally bad choice (his most serious offense till then had been being late for practice), Andersen lost his job and the roughly $12 million left on his contract. Yet when he learned of his positive test, he felt like anything but a man condemned. "I was torn up emotionally, but I realized it was time to make a drastic change," he says, his voice catching. "I could've ended up killing myself."
Andersen had always been a rare Birdman, a first-team oddnik who covered his body in tattoos, changed hairstyles weekly and once cracked a tooth on his tongue piercing. But he was never more eccentric than when he tested positive. The strategy in sports is deny, deny, deny--no matter how preposterous the explanation. Blame the tainted energy shakes or mishandled samples or a vanished twin or flaxseed oil. Andersen took the singular step of owning up to his mistake. Even when he went before an arbitrator, Andersen stuck to his talking points: "I did it. I messed up."
He'd be well within his rights to question why he's been banned while others--say, Stephen Jackson, the Pacers' guard and co-star in the Auburn Hills brawl, who last week was charged with firing a gun into the air outside a strip club--are playing. And is it fair that an NBA player could fail four tests for steroids before facing banishment? Andersen has no interest in going there. "The rules are the rules," he says. "Certain drugs are in certain categories for a reason."
After the arbitrator upheld the suspension last March, Andersen moved to Denver, spent four weeks in rehab and says he's been clean for months. When he's not working out, he's reading about real estate investments and learning new chords on his guitar. "Honestly, the worst thing that could have happened to me is turning out to be the best thing," he says. "I'm back in charge of my life, brother."

Last edited by Natedogg; 05-11-2009 at 08:44 PM..
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedogg View Post
Gotta be mari-jah-whannna. The birdman do fly high...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
No. not. you get four chances for pot (and steroids) before you are suspended from NBA. According to the CBA, it has to be one of the five mentioned above to get booted on your first failed test.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
CSU Husker
Seasoned Veteran

Doesnt really matter. It was something nasty, he has had a rough road and obviously had some demons that go along with it. Kudos to him for overcoming and getting back in the league.
CSU Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSU Husker View Post
Doesnt really matter. It was something nasty, he has had a rough road and obviously had some demons that go along with it. Kudos to him for overcoming and getting back in the league.
No doubt. Love the guy. Also love how he didn't deny doing drugs.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

cocaine and meth make you drop weight very, very fast...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
No. not. you get four chances for pot (and steroids) before you are suspended from NBA. According to the CBA, it has to be one of the five mentioned above to get booted on your first failed test.
Maybe it was really, really good weed and he refused to share it. If you don't have enough for everyone, then you risk the chance of being ostracized...
Old 05-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
CSU Husker
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
No doubt. Love the guy. Also love how he didn't deny doing drugs.
EXACTLY. Love this part of the article....

The strategy in sports is deny, deny, deny--no matter how preposterous the explanation. Blame the tainted energy shakes or mishandled samples or a vanished twin or flaxseed oil. Andersen took the singular step of owning up to his mistake. Even when he went before an arbitrator, Andersen stuck to his talking points: "I did it. I messed up."

We just saw it with Manny this week, feeding us a giant line of BS. Love the fact that Bird was man enough to admit it and not use some lame ass excuse.
CSU Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
cocaine and meth make you drop weight very, very fast...
I figure its one of the two. But Coke is hard to detect (only stays in your system for 2 to 3 days). Meth stays in 3 to 6.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

If I had to guess....I would say meth.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 05-11-2009 at 08:55 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Where's the choice for "All of the above"?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Maybe a snowcap.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #13
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

The league is THAT hard on cocaine?

I've never tried it, but I see plenty of people do it (college kids, not Navy guys)... maybe it's because crack and cocaine show up the same on a drug test
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:34 AM   #14
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
The league is THAT hard on cocaine?

I've never tried it, but I see plenty of people do it (college kids, not Navy guys)... maybe it's because crack and cocaine show up the same on a drug test
Yeah. I find it interesting that you can shoot a gun, beat your wife, or do steroids and have a much lower punishment than doing a "hard drug."
Old 05-12-2009, 06:47 AM   #15
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yeah. I find it interesting that you can shoot a gun, beat your wife, or do steroids and have a much lower punishment than doing a "hard drug."
since when are steroids worse than cocaine or meth?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #16
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
since when are steroids worse than cocaine or meth?
Don't know, but they have more of a "cheating" aspect. They also are very (as?) unhealthy.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #17
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Just knowing the people I know who do coke... it doesn't seem like all that bad a drug. Everyone I know who does coke are actually very functional... of course, they're all independently wealthy (don't work) and the pretty much just go to school full time and party on the weekends.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #18
SoonerBronco
Rocket Man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wahoo McDaniel

It was cocaine. It happened while he was in OKC for the Hornets stayover here.
SoonerBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #19
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

He probably did whatever he could get his hands on. Probably did em all at one point or another.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
What about MDMA (xtasy)
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #21
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
What about MDMA (xtasy)
Good question. My guess is that it's classified as an amphetamine (meaning one chance). But not too sure. Guess there is a chance that its not tested for at all (mushrooms appear not to be).

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma.shtml

Reminds me of a talk I had with a drug counselor once. He was a pretty straight laced guy but really surprised me one time when he said that he believed drug tests favored the dishonest (or something to that extent). His point was that they were fairly easy to cheat, so honest people get screwed. His other point was that its hard to catch cocaine (in system 3 days) users but easy to catch marijuana users (up to 60 days) making the tests "inequitable."

Don't really have a point. Just sayin.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBronco View Post
It was cocaine. It happened while he was in OKC for the Hornets stayover here.
Where did you read this? It would be interesting to see.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #23
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
What about MDMA (xtasy)
Good question .... I know that a large portion of MDMA is methamphetamine.

The base suspension used to make MDMA is often a legal methamphetamine drug called Desoxyn.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #24
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Good question .... I know that a large portion of MDMA is methamphetamine.

The base suspension used to make MDMA is often a legal methamphetamine drug called Desoxyn.
Nice avatar Buff.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #25
Punisher
The Horsemen Are coming

For You WOOOOOOOOOO!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

It was PCP aka Angeldust
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote